Global Warming in the Pacific NW Banter Thread

Jesse

You would know a little bit about being on a high horse. 

You weren't a teacher.  Deal with it.  Might not be a coincidence that since you falsely presented yourself as such we've been AWFULLY warm.  Karma has been directly linked to carbon monoxide levels...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You weren't a teacher.  Deal with it.  Might not be a coincidence that since you falsely presented yourself as such we've been AWFULLY warm.  Karma has been directly linked to carbon monoxide levels...

:huh:

I don't know what this has to do with anything. Aside from a pretty blatant attempt at getting a rise out of me.

I would actually like you to find the original post where I "misrepresented" myself. Clearly it is a major issue with you because you keep bringing it up, so I would like to see it settled.

I searched "teacher" and "tutor" for the entire forum and all I could find were posts where I referred to working with students as a reading teacher or reading tutor, which is exactly what my job description was those three years at Carson Elementary.

The rest of the results were posts where you were mocking me for being a pseudo teacher and misrepresenting myself. 

Not in one post did I state I had a teaching degree or assert that I had my own class of students.

:huh:

I don't know what this has to do with anything. Aside from a pretty blatant attempt at getting a rise out of me.

Agreed. If you want to talk about toxic gases, start another topic where we can banter about them.

A forum for the end of the world.

I would actually like you to find the original post where I "misrepresented" myself. Clearly it is a major issue with you because you keep bringing it up, so I would like to see it settled.

I searched "teacher" and "tutor" for the entire forum and all I could find were posts where I referred to working with students as a reading teacher or reading tutor, which is exactly what my job description was those three years at Carson Elementary.

The rest of the results were posts where you were mocking me for being a pseudo teacher and misrepresenting myself. 

Not in one post did I state I had a teaching degree or assert that I had my own class of students.

You spent way too much time on this. He was just teasing you.

I don't think anyone actually believes you pulled a Phil.

You spent way too much time on this. He was just teasing you.

I don't think anyone actually believes you pulled a Phil.

He has brought it up numerous times over the last few years, and it's completely baseless.

I don't like being painted as a liar. I may be a weenie, a global warming alarmist, a cold anomaly enthusiast and a grammar nazi, but I am not a liar. :)

He has brought it up numerous times over the last few years, and it's completely baseless.

I don't like being painted as a liar. I may be a weenie, a global warming alarmist, a cold anomaly enthusiast and a grammar nazi, but I am not a liar. :)

I know. Like I said, I'm pretty sure no one here considers you a liar, including dewey.

You are definitely all those other things. ;)

• Like 1

I know. Like I said, I'm pretty sure no one here considers you a liar, including dewey.

You are definitely all those other things. ;)

Hard to tell with him. Whatever the case I would like him to stop, because his claims that I have tried to misrepresent myself are misrepresentative. 

That or he knows it's a sure fire way to push my buttons, in which case I am probably giving him precisely the reaction he was going for. The annoying thing about Dewey is he will act like my "overreaction" implies my guilt, when in fact the issue really is that he is way off.

Hard to tell with him. Whatever the case I would like him to stop, because his claims that I have tried to misrepresent myself are misrepresentative.

That or he knows it's a sure fire way to push my buttons, in which case I am probably giving him precisely the reaction he was going for. The annoying thing about Dewey is he will act like my "overreaction" implies my guilt, when in fact the issue really is that he is way off.

It was a joke. Take it easy, I'm not PDX.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I will admit I'm closer to buying off on AGW than I was 10 years ago, but there is still the undeniable fact the globe is always going through warming and cooling cycles.  I think it's still too soon to know for sure.  The solar activity theory has a lot to support it.  If the coming solar grand minimum doesn't start things on a cooler road I might believe AGW more than I don't.

As for the latest catch phrase..."climate change"...try to find a period where the global climate hasn't been changing.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Obviously, AGW is a real phenomenon. The problem is that our interpretation of the physical consequences (or "feedbacks") of the aforementioned is something out of the Stone Age. We understand the small scale processes (at the molecular level) fairly well, but are sorely lacking on the macroscale level.

There is zero evidence in the paleo data suggesting exponential amplification of any sort. Rather, it suggests the exact opposite, and prolifically so. I can't think a of single large scale systematic perturbation that isn't met with "negative feedbacks", so to speak.

It's evident in the ENSO cycle, it's evident in the QBO cycle, it's evident in the PDO and AMO, it's evident in the interglacial cycle, it's evident just about everywhere in the universe, as a matter of fact, from solar cycles to gravitational interactions.

Yes, but none of those cycles has ever had the additional variable of human intervention introduced into them before.  Who's to say there couldn't be a butterfly effect?  Who's to say that that human activity isn't the tiny additional factor that pushes a delicate balance of complex interacting systems -- one which, after all, we still have only the barest understanding of -- over the edge?

Or...who's to say Mother Nature won't compensate for whatever effects human intervention may have?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Or...who's to say Mother Nature won't compensate for whatever effects human intervention may have?

Bingo.

We are due for a big volcanic explosion. It will happen eventually.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yes, but none of those cycles has ever had the additional variable of human intervention introduced into them before. Who's to say there couldn't be a butterfly effect? Who's to say that that human activity isn't the tiny additional factor that pushes a delicate balance of complex interacting systems -- one which, after all, we still have only the barest understanding of -- over the edge?

There's no observational or physically demonstrable evidence suggesting this (outside computer modeling, that is). Meanwhile, the evidence we do have points to a system that is inherently regulatory and fairly stable within a select number of multi-modal thresholds, outside of which the system becomes inherently unstable (note the interglacial cycle, and the many theories behind it's existence).

We could spend months analyzing and discussing the physical processes governing climate change, or we can just ask ourselves a few simple, logic-based questions. Why do all observable aspects of weather and climate behave in a cyclical nature? What does this tell me about how the system responds to large scale imbalance? Can you think of any large scale positive feedback loop in existence within the climate system?