December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I think lowland snow will be a threat somewhere between Dec 10 and New Years.  Things look to be coming together for an interesting month. 

It's pretty hard to believe this month could average 4 degrees lower than last December and still not be below normal.  At this point I'm in for this one to run a good 3 to 5 lower than last December.  Better than that is certainly possible.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Snow by the 3rd week of December lasting into Christmas...you heard it here first!

Well then! No need to look at the models !!

• Like 1

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

The ECMWF looks good for days 9 and 10.  Cool zonal flow giving way to a colder NW flow.  We're in business guys!

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Best chance for a white Xmas in years.

Ironically the chances look above average right now.  A long way to go, but the pattern appears to evolve favorably over the next two weeks.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

One thing for sure...the GFS and ECMWF agree we are going to get blasted by a strong consolidated jet around day 8.  This is what we want to see.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

One thing for sure...the GFS and ECMWF agree we are going to get blasted by a strong consolidated jet around day 8. This is what we want to see.

One thing is even more sure. Your peaks get peakier and your valleys valleyier every year. Roll with it and go balls deep! Six foot drifts and windchill warnings! Let's do it!!!

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I'm thinking Christmas could be a 2008/1980 hybrid.

Let's not get too carried away yet.

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

If you're one to believe that East Asia patterns are reflected in the US later down the road via the wave train, then it's worth mentioning that there's support for the colder anomalies in the west around day 9/10. 7-10 days out from now East Asia advertises a quick moving trough starting in the west which swings through the US, gaining amplitude as it progresses. This equates to a trough over the Central/Eastern US around the 13th of December +/- a few days. 

For anyone who cares, threw together a quick graphic representing what I mentioned above. The red text is the date in which it's projected to hit the US, and the overlay on each image demonstrates the correlation points to East Asia. Obviously nothing is perfect when it comes to meteorology, but figured I could throw something together to follow along with. Sorry if the image is huge, this forum doesn't seem to downsize images automatically

http://i.imgur.com/bxODI60.jpg

• Like 1

Models are much drier for tomorrow now and much wetter for Thursday.   No chance of a warm day on Thursday now.   ECMWF led the way with that change.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Pretty good consensus developing for a cool, troughy period starting around December 10. Both the GFS and Euro ensembles strongly hinting at this.

If that pans out color me surprised. I was fully prepared for another +ENSO torchfest like December 2014.

Does anyone have the website handy that shows the spaghetti-type graphs of the GFS ensembles?

Check the ensemble mean section of each run... the left image is the mean and the right image shows the spaghetti chart.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ewallmref.html

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So no mid 60s for PDX then? Shocking that didn't pan out. ;)

Could have panned out if the ULL held offshore through the afternoon.    The ECMWF showed strong southerly flow and good mixing with a warm air mass.    But the ULL will not stay offshore through the day... so the warm spike probably comes at night and then it rains all day.   It all comes down to timing like I said earlier.       

Even so... the WRF still shows temps getting up to around 60 south of PDX on Thursday.   12Z ECMWF shows the exact same thing.   

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d2/tsfc.57.0000.gif

So no mid 60s for PDX then? Shocking that didn't pan out. ;)

It was definitely worth mentioning since the ECMWF and WRF both showed it happening at just 4 days out and would have been interesting.     We are here to discuss weather.    But the timing did not work out.   Like so many over-hyped cold events by people whose entire existence seems to revolve around having negative departures in the record books!     

Another sight for sore eyes is the recent return to robust positive OLR anomalies (5N - 5S) centered on 180.  A very definite anti El Nino signal.  Pretty interesting how it turned cold right after that change took effect.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_update/olra_c.gif

Just curious, but if this was interpreted to show signs of anti-El Nino, then how did we end up with the greatest El Nino since 98'? I'm just trying to understand. Also, how could one assume a warm(er) December is in store after a rather lengthy cold snap in late November? From what I understand, its tied to MJO. 

Trying to educate myself here so I can move towards reading and interpreting models and information on my own. 

It was definitely worth mentioning since the ECMWF and WRF both showed it happening at just 4 days out and would have been interesting.     We are here to discuss weather.    But the timing did not work out.   Like so many over-hyped cold events by people whose entire existence seems to revolve around having negative departures in the record books!     

Is there any other kind?

A forum for the end of the world.

12Z ECMWF ar 240 hours... good for the mountains at least.    

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2015120112!!chart.gif