Official Weather Complaint Thread

Geos

Yeah I'm calling off Winter. We have no more chances of snowfall that'll stick around. I only really enjoy snow if I know I'll be able to enjoy it for a while and it won't all go away the next day. In March, it almost always goes away the next day. Bring on Spring.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

What an epic winter it has been :rolleyes:

It was good if you live in Harrison..

They will probably break 70 inches before all is said and done.

March & April are their best snow months.

The weather station (where the records are kept) is actually 161 feet lower in elevation than the town itself; and about 11 miles to the west of the center of town.

• Like 1

Where I live in Central Nebraska is around 24 inches of snow this winter from what I read in the local newspaper the other day.  We are usually never listed in the NWS snowfall amounts for some reason, though we used to be.  My average is typically either side of 30" but can be much lower than that in some years. Will I make 30" this year?   I would think there might be a chance, but not holding my breath on it to happen.

• Like 1

This discrepancy seems odd; the towns look to be 24 miles apart on the map...and there is no big change in altitude.

It's the blizzard that did that. The sharp cutoff was between Grand Island and Hastings. For those types of storms, 24 miles makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

There can be failrly large gradient in snow falls around here in short distances. Kind of odd actually with not much differences in elevations.

People often comment on the large differences in annual snowfall between Norfolk & Omaha; but an examination of the record does not bear this out.

The Karl Stefan Airport Station in Norfolk; which has a record going back to the 1940's...shows a long term mean of 30.2" of snow annually.

The Eppley Field mean in Omaha is 28.9"; so it is a de minimis difference.

People often comment on the large differences in annual snowfall between Norfolk & Omaha; but an examination of the record does not bear this out.

The Karl Stefan Airport Station in Norfolk; which has a record going back to the 1940's...shows a long term mean of 30.2" of snow annually.

The Eppley Field mean in Omaha is 28.9"; so it is a de minimis difference.

In fact, the Lincoln Airport mean is 25.5"; so there is actually a bigger difference between Lincoln & Omaha than there is between Omaha & Norfolk.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nebraska Snowfall

2017-18

Through Feb 27

Harrison: 53.8" (elevation 4704')

North Platte: 36.5"

Grand Island: 29.1"

Norfolk: 28.8"

Scottsbluff: 27.6"

Hastings: 19.9"

Valentine: 19.7"

Lincoln: 17.7"

Omaha: 14.6"

Harrison now with 67.0 inches; and of course they should continue to improve that number well into the spring...

• 4 weeks later...

First winter storm of January: One county East of me gets 5".

That one blizzard in January: One county North of me gets 6-8", two counties gets a foot.

First storm in February: One county South of me gets 6".

Easter: Still within my county but 10 miles South gets 7".

Now: One county West of me is set to sit under a defo band for hours.

All the above for us (besides the last one obviously) resulted in 1-3" for my place. Highest storm total was 5" from Xmas Eve, which I wasn't even here for. Ffs.

• Like 2

First winter storm of January: One county East of me gets 5".

That one blizzard in January: One county North of me gets 6-8", two counties gets a foot.

First storm in February: One county South of me gets 6".

Easter: Still within my county but 10 miles South gets 7".

Now: One county West of me is set to sit under a defo band for hours.

All the above for us (besides the last one obviously) resulted in 1-3" for my place. Highest storm total was 5" from Xmas Eve, which I wasn't even here for. Ffs.

Crap. You sound like me except all my numbers have decimals and zeros in front. :lol:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

First time this thread has been used for anything other than Winter weather, let's get to it, shall we!

Why in the f***** **** does severe weather always avoid Lincoln I swear to god it's like a f***** forcefield was enacted around the city or something. How the **** does a powerful bow echo with widespread 80mph gusts and heavy rain one county away turn into moderate rain and 45mph winds by the time it hits this county? Every. Single. Storm. Every. Season. And the one time we get severe weather every season always seems to be 2" hail that destroys everyone's cars turning them to pure s**t and nobody likes their cars being turned into pure s**t. ****!

At least the same areas that got hit time and time again during the Winter and have been this whole severe weather season are ******* getting hit again! They need it that's for sure.

Jk lol my grass here is crunchy and up there has to be marshland by now.

First time this thread has been used for anything other than Winter weather, let's get to it, shall we!

Why in the f***** **** does severe weather always avoid Lincoln I swear to god it's like a f***** forcefield was enacted around the city or something. How the **** does a powerful bow echo with widespread 80mph gusts and heavy rain one county away turn into moderate rain and 45mph winds by the time it hits this county? Every. Single. Storm. Every. Season. And the one time we get severe weather every season always seems to be 2" hail that destroys everyone's cars turning them to pure s**t and nobody likes their cars being turned into pure s**t. ****!

At least the same areas that got hit time and time again during the Winter and have been this whole severe weather season are f***** getting hit again! They need it that's for sure.

Jk lol my grass here is crunchy and up there has to be marshland by now.

Well, as a severe weather fan, you held out of using this thread longer than I could have. Lol. Maybe you can score some severe weather while I roast in humid hell down here for 6 more weeks. I'd swear dews are 75 tonight. Puke.

• Like 2

Well, as a severe weather fan, you held out of using this thread longer than I could have. Lol. Maybe you can score some severe weather while I roast in humid hell down here for 6 more weeks. I'd swear dews are 75 tonight. Puke.

We've been lucky so far with mostly dry heat. That should go away soon though when climo begins actually supporting temps this hot and the corn grows leading to evapotranspiration. So far, though, we still haven't had any dews >65*F.

We've been lucky so far with mostly dry heat. That should go away soon though when climo begins actually supporting temps this hot and the corn grows leading to evapotranspiration. So far, though, we still haven't had any dews >65*F.

I've long known that large expanses of corn such as in the Midwest and areas of the southeast (corn and rice) can evap to moderate or enhance broad areas of climate or warming (increases nighttime lows) in the summer. Late June 2 years ago when I went out to Dauphin Island, AL, as soon as the sun hit the corn, you could literally see the vapor coming off of it. It was neat to see. In years like this one where there has been a copious amounts of rain, that's what I struggle with also out here in the hardwoods of eastern Oklahoma. Many decades ago, there weren't such vast expanses of high evap crops or such intricate irrigation systems in either of these areas but I've yet to find a study stating the contribution to us average temperatures from agriculture. Odd.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite the generally favorable pattern, the start to the winter season is kinda crapping out for some of us unluckies.  The first clipper dropped a couple inches, but it was late at night so I didn't see anything.  Then, the first big storm totally missed the Des Moines to Cedar Rapids corridor.  Now, models are suddenly looking lousy here during the first half of December.  The train of snow events on the GFS has vanished.  If we get a mild pattern during the second half of December (like 2002), it could be January before I actually see any snow falling.

• Like 5

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Lol at the people in other threads throwing in the towel on December already. “Horrible pattern!” Apparently people forgot there was just a significant storm and that the entire sub has seen at least an inch snow in November. That’s uncommon. Hawkeyes complaint above is valid however. The first week or so looks weak, remains to be seen what weeks 2-4 bring.

• Like 2

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

This is easily the best pattern we have had in my time of living here, and likely the best since 2009. Yet we're still getting nickel & dimed and near missed. The season total is cool and all but we've achieved it in the worst way possible.

My 3.2" of snow so far is above average.  The problem is when it fell.  If it had fallen during the day and I was able to watch it, it would feel like a decent start to the season.

• Like 4

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

This is easily the best pattern we have had in my time of living here, and likely the best since 2009. Yet we're still getting nickel & dimed and near missed. The season total is cool and all but we've achieved it in the worst way possible.

THIS.  This has been the most frustrating part of this season so far.  We've had such a great pattern but hardly any snow to show for it.  Getting 2 inches of snow at a time isn't very exciting. Also, each great system that takes the perfect track that doesn't deliver (this one being a prime example) just adds to the likelihood that we'll have a pattern change that will take these chances away completely.

• Like 2

Awesome

Yeah, it's not looking good for our area.  The next big storm is going to miss well south and there's nothing on the models beyond that.

Lately, Texas weather has been more boring than 20 miles of New Mexico highway.

Just sayin'. ......

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Looks like a pretty good bet to write off the second week of December. Neither the EC or the GFS showing any snowfall through day 10. Looks to be a rainer or two in there though.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")