Official Weather Complaint Thread

Geos

Wow, just wow! Most of us in Nebraska aren’t going to be allowed to complain about missing out on snow for quite a while. Just brutal for Central parts of Iowa.

You know what sucks even more? I moved FROM Nebraska this year after being there for over a decade. Now I'm on Lake Michigan in Chicago, in which case we had received a whopping 2" from our blizzard warning where I'm at because of the WAA. We have less than 4" on the year in my location. I don't care what anyone says, I've been screwed the hardest out of anyone the past few years, so despite my username on here, I have the right to complain!!!!

• Like 1

You know what sucks even more? I moved FROM Nebraska this year after being there for over a decade. Now I'm on Lake Michigan in Chicago, in which case we had received a whopping 2" from our blizzard warning where I'm at because of the WAA. We have less than 4" on the year in my location. I don't care what anyone says, I've been screwed the hardest out of anyone the past few years, so despite my username on here, I have the right to complain!!!!

Everyone on here does my friend. Make yourself at home.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

If I get robbed of my snowstorm to I get to resume my role as having the biggest right to complain? Haha :lol:

If you've been 4 years with less than one-third of your average snowfall with two, back-to-back zeroes and one of those having a 13 inch (devastating) flood on December 29th, when you're supposed to be enjoying the holidays,....(sigh), you can reclaim the throne good sir.

And my "snow", which counted, last season was an inch in December and .5 on April 7 or 8. :(

No contest, really, some of us have had a sucky 4 years. I do sympathize with the frustration. Really.

I want snow every storm, every day of winter. This isn't fair. 30 miles to the west is getting more than me. This isn't fair. My brother lives on an island in SC and has gotten more than I have (actually true), but I live in the Midwest and it should snow 75% of the winter days!! :(

Sarcasm intended.

I've lived in worse places than Nebraska. You all think you have it bad. Try living in West Texas. Or on the wrong side of cold air damning. Or on the coast where a nor Easter can bring you misery or joy. You all have no clue what it's like in a true snow hole. I just laugh at the bi polarness of this forum. It's gotten out of control the past two years. I have just learned to not care. I work in a field that's weather related, and not caring one way or the other is a much healthier lifestyle. You can't control it and can't predict it 100%, so no use complaining about it. Took me a long time to learn that but I have. Here's hoping everyone gets some snow to make the ground white at least

Perhaps you should adjust what you expect out of winter in Nebraska!? Seems like many on here think every year going to be above average. That's not how averages work. I think 99% know that, but seems like its happy or pissed off from model run to model run. That is my biggest beef. Maybe if more people didn't rely on each run like it's do or die as far as what they get. Just my .02. this is a complaints thread. I get it. I just choose to complain about the complaints.

All of these posts came from this thread. But I guess complaining about us is fine. After all, I'm not one to try and control what other people post or where they post it.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

All of these posts came from this thread. But I guess complaining about us is fine. After all, I'm not one to try and control what other people post or where they post it.

Hmmmm...

Let's see, if I didn't like the people somewhere, and I'm a free human being, that means NO ONE MAKES US COME HERE!!! How about that?

Sounds like a solution to that guy's problems. Pretty sure most of us really really enjoy one another AND enjoy the weather.

• Like 2

Darn right complaining about "us" is fine. Trying to point out that one's complaint about the weather isn't going to do jack. And there are reasons why this complaint thread was made, so the complaint junk isn't bogging down the actual storm forum...which it was last storm. You and I will or never agree on your thoughts of being a "shaft city". There's simply no such thing. Plain and simple. Be happy if you get snow, but more importantly, be happy for others that do when you don't. We all love weather on here, and we are never all going to be happy with every storm. So might as well enjoy snow from a distance if you must. Why ruin others joy by complaining. I don't get it, and never will! Adios

• Downvote 1

Darn right complaining about "us" is fine. Trying to point out that one's complaint about the weather isn't going to do jack. And there are reasons why this complaint thread was made, so the complaint junk isn't bogging down the actual storm forum...which it was last storm. You and I will or never agree on your thoughts of being a "shaft city". There's simply no such thing. Plain and simple. Be happy if you get snow, but more importantly, be happy for others that do when you don't. We all love weather on here, and we are never all going to be happy with every storm. So might as well enjoy snow from a distance if you must. Why ruin others joy by complaining. I don't get it, and never will! Adios

First of all, what I said wasn't sarcasm. Complaining about us is fine. Like I said, I'm not one to be a mini-mod after all.

Oh my GOD. How many times do I have to say it. Stop trying to control what we post and where we post. You guys have been beating this dead horse for the past 2-3 years and all it does all the time is start s**t. Is that all you're trying to do? Seems like it. The fact that you have yet to hit the ignore button on me kinda implies that. If I'm disappointed about what's happening with a storm, I'm gonna post about it in the storm thread because it pertains to the storm. I don't know how to make it more obvious than it already was. 

Also, why is everyone so triggered over me calling Lincoln the shaft city? It's a freakin' joke. Just like the fact that you get legitimately offended over it. 

Also, if you have actually been paying attention, you'll see that I do congratulate people whenever they get snow. Butttttt you choose to ignore that because you instead choose to come after me any time I say something negative. Last weekend, I said congrats Omaha when they got 10" of snow versus our 3". And the weekend before that I said congrats KC when they got 6" of snow versus our 3". But no, that's not convenient enough.

You know what I do? I post observations here and my feelings about what is going on. Boredom, anger, thrill, stress, I've expressed it all on here. Hell I'm sure we all have at least once. I just do it more. And nothing that you armchair critics say is going to change the way I post. So if you don't like that, then you are more than free to hit that ignore button! Because I'm going nowhere, and I'm going to continue posting what I want, where I want. Obviously within the rules of this forum, which you have thankfully not set.

Sorry if that was harsh, but nothing pisses me off more than anti-logic and having to repeat myself over and over and over again.

I think it’s sad that people complain about getting shafted or not getting snow when there’s much more to life than the weather. But you’re a kid so I understand and I’m sure I was the same way when I was 14/15 (like you are)

But growing up you’ll realize there’s much more things to worry/deal with than getting screwed by a snowstorm or having a bad winter snow wise.

And most people here don’t care if you complain just do it in the right thread and not make the thread unreadable complaining about not getting snow

• Like 3

I think it’s sad that people complain about getting shafted or not getting snow when there’s much more to life than the weather. But you’re a kid so I understand and I’m sure I was the same way when I was 14/15 (like you are)

But growing up you’ll realize there’s much more things to worry/deal with than getting screwed by a snowstorm or having a bad winter snow wise.

And most people here don’t care if you complain just do it in the right thread and not make the thread unreadable complaining about not getting snow

I'm 20.

This, absolutely this.

• Like 1

This, absolutely this.

And once again, none of you are going to be able to control what is posted where, especially if the request is unreasonable, so please just stop trying to start . If the mods don't like it they'll put a stop to it. But I'm sure both them and I don't mind negative posts relating to a storm in the specific storm thread.

I'm gonna stop replying to you now and I'd recommend that you do the same for me. I don't want to get warned and you don't either.

I'm 20.

Glad to have learned this. I'll actually cut you some slack. Not being a jerk, but you have plenty to learn, and I am sure you will. Honestly, i believe every 20 year old does and usually realizes that. Enjoy your shaft city...I won't ignore you because in this PC crap world we live in, I choose not to run and hide and avoid conversations. I applaud you actually too for not doing so. Let's just hope your comment about going insane in other forum, if you miss out on another border storm, was a joke. Which I took it as. Best of luck, just complain here, please.

I'm 20.

My mistake. Thought I read somewhere on here that you are 14 or 15. But trust me, I used to be you where I used to get mad about not getting snow. You’ll get to the point where the little things like that won’t matter anymore. Where it’s not worth getting emotionally involved in snow and finally realizing life is too short to waste. I was probably around your age when I finally realized that

• Like 1

And once again, none of you are going to be able to control what is posted where, especially if the request is unreasonable, so please just stop trying to start s**t. If the mods don't like it they'll put a stop to it. But I'm sure both them and I don't mind negative posts relating to a storm in the specific storm thread.

I'm gonna stop replying to you now and I'd recommend that you do the same for me. I don't want to get warned and you don't either.

This thread was made for people who wanted to vent etc and to keep it out of the main thread where people could be looking for details on the storm. Not read posts complaining because there area got 3 inches of snow compared to 10 for another area

Glad to have learned this. I'll actually cut you some slack. Not being a jerk, but you have plenty to learn, and I am sure you will. Honestly, i believe every 20 year old does and usually realizes that. Enjoy your shaft city...I won't ignore you because in this PC crap world we live in, I choose not to run and hide and avoid conversations. I applaud you actually too for not doing so. Let's just hope your comment about going insane in other forum, if you miss out on another border storm, was a joke. Which I took it as. Best of luck, just complain here, please.

Once again, I apologize if my last reply was too harsh. Really, I can get kinda carried away when I'm mad. And for the record, I don't get full blown mental over the weather. That's dumb. Take anything I say along those lines as a joke please. I'm the least serious person in the world, all of my friends know that but none of you do, lol.

I moved to Nebraska from Texas three years ago. This is my third Winter here. I have yet to witness a snowfall above 4" in my entire life. The only one that has happened here since I moved here, I was gone for (last Christmas Eve). So the fact that I'm always stressed out about storms is not because I am 20, but because I have literally never witnessed a real storm. In my third Winter in the Midwest, I still do not know what a snow squall or a defo band looks like in first person. I have yet to witness any readings above 30 dBZ. Even for Nebraska that's ridiculous.

But what I said before still stands. If what I am saying pertains to a storm and not an overall pattern or season, I am going to continue to post my thoughts in the respective storm thread, because that's on topic.

My mistake. Thought I read somewhere on here that you are 14 or 15. But trust me, I used to be you where I used to get mad about not getting snow. You’ll get to the point where the little things like that won’t matter anymore. Where it’s not worth getting emotionally involved in snow and finally realizing life is too short to waste. I was probably around your age when I finally realized that

Oh trust me. I'll always be a weather nerd. Maybe once I finish my program and out of the police academy I'll start hating snow. In fact, now that I think about it, I probably will. Accidents are the worst.

I nearly was killed 4 years ago on black ice. Scariest situation I’ve ever been in when you’re going 55 mph and lose control of the vehicle, and flip your truck. Luckily someone was looking over me and I didn’t even get a scratch (wasn’t wearing my seatbelt either) ended up front side up and inbetween two posts. Tow truck came like two hours later and drove it back home.

Guy behind me wasn’t as lucky and hit a tree at the same time (luckily he survived but was pretty banged up from what I heard)

• Like 2

Just be patient. You will get a full fledged blizzard if you continue to live anywhere north of I70. But just because you live in Nebraska doesn't mean you will get one each year or even in the 3 years you've been there. It'll happen, eventually!

Oh no not with me around believe me lol. I had good stuff go around me even when I lived in Houston. Only time we received something really thrilling while I lived there was a torrential storm that led to river flooding, in which I had to walk home from my high school graduation because the roads were blocked off  :D

But believe me, even if I moved to Marquette they would never see more than 4" on the ground at one time.

I nearly was killed 4 years ago on black ice. Scariest situation I’ve ever been in when you’re going 55 mph and lose control of the vehicle, and flip your truck. Luckily someone was looking over me and I didn’t even get a scratch (wasn’t wearing my seatbelt either)

Guy behind me wasn’t as lucky and hit a tree (luckily he survived but was pretty banged up from what I heard)

God D**n that's terrifying. Glad you're alright, and same with the other guy. There is absolutely nothing good about ice. About the best thing that can happen to someone on ice is them falling and dislocating their shoulder. Worst experience I've had driving on ice is when I couldn't stop and unintentionally ran a red light. Thankfully it was 6am and nobody was out at the time, so I just casually slid on through.

• Like 1

Speaking of Black ice ; in my mind there are two kinds (well really only one- but I digress). The stuff most people call Black ice is simply re-freeze of water from melting snow or whatever. When I grew up (still growing :o) in the Twin Cities in the 80's and 90's we got some serious cold in DEC 89' and again in JAN/FEB 1996 with temps -25F to -36F -- -34 at KMSP-- -36F being the coldest "official" temp i have recorded though I have camped in colder. But my point is that Black ice imo is really when car exhaust freezes on contact with roadways and things get d**n scary real quick. Clear bluebird skies for days doing 65mph down the freeway and all of sudden you start bouncing off guard rails and into the puckerbrush. Heavily traveled intersections become basically undriveable and extremely dangerous due to chain reactions of once one car goes in the ditch , traffic mounts adding to the problem. If you have experienced that type of Black ice, you understand where I'am coming from. Serious S#it.

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Speaking of Black ice ; in my mind there are two kinds (well really only one- but I digress). The stuff most people call Black ice is simply re-freeze of water from melting snow or whatever. When I grew up (still growing :o) in the Twin Cities in the 80's and 90's we got some serious cold in DEC 89' and again in JAN/FEB 1996 with temps -25F to -36F -- -34 at KMSP-- -36F being the coldest "official" temp i have recorded though I have camped in colder. But my point is that Black ice imo is really when car exhaust freezes on contact with roadways and things get d**n scary real quick. Clear bluebird skies for days doing 65mph down the freeway and all of sudden you start bouncing off guard rails and into the puckerbrush. Heavily traveled intersections become basically undriveable and extremely dangerous due to chain reactions of once one car goes in the ditch , traffic mounts adding to the problem. If you have experienced that type of Black ice, you understand where I'am coming from. Serious S#it.

It was literally dry for days before this and temps were like 31/32 but road temps were obv much colder. I lived right near the lake and I was driving along the lake. I think there was some sort of fog or moisture from the lake that must have froze in that area. It was dry all up to that point and it was literally like a 1/4 mile stretch that was all iced up

• Like 2

Black ice got me last January. Was one of those mornings slightly above freezing but the ground was an iceberg underneath. Main roads and x-way was fine, but a stretch of county road where they had not dropped any sand/salt mix was like a skating rink. Can tell by the glare reflection of your headlights (if it's dark ofc). This was at a point where the road snaked across the train tracks. Ended up sliding off the road and across the steel rails. Destroyed my engine carriage and several other things up front. They had to shut the trains down until they confirmed the rails were safe (that was embarrasing tbh). Fortunately, there was 20" OTG where this happened and it cushioned the impact/landing and the rails were ok. I would've been responsible for repairs if they needed it (nice bill for that I'm sure). I also avoided a ticket since the officer saw how icy it was and immediately radioed for the county truck to get their a$$es over there asap. First time in 34 yrs of driving that I ditched my ride like that. Black ice, it can get ya. It was a major inconvenience financially right on the heals of the holidays, but otherwise could've been much worse as I slid across oncoming lane. Fortunately nobody was coming my way at that moment.

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

I too was extremely passionate about snow my entire life. I don't think you have to grow out of it tbh. I do agree tho, that your response will mature with age, even if your passion doesn't end. Winters were so awesome during my youth, I just presumed that was "the norm", then the decadal oscillation switched and suddenly my young adult years were full of super-Nino's and such. Right when I really could enjoy more snow, the pattern shifted lol. Fortunately, I had my own wheels by then and could drive to the snow belts of NMI in a crappy winter (which I did numerous times in the 80's til I moved there in '90) to get my "snow fix".  These wx web forums weren't even a dream in somebody's mind when I was LNK_wx's age, but I would likely have been a lot like him wrt posts. I still hate getting shafted at the last minute, but fortunately that happens a lot less in this era. Busts by the NWS back then were horrendous train wreck bad. LOL, not unlike this current system down south (sorry OKwx).

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

I'll add that I enjoy my time with this hobby as a bit of a diversion from the serious responsible parts of my life, so I don't mind if peeps comment's are little "outside the lines". I can find mundane everywhere I look, lol, but in here you feel the passion and sense the anticipation for a big event. I hope it stays that way..

• Like 1

So here's a "good luck" story...

A Topeka family we have been friends with over the years (and still are) because of a job change relocated to Corpus Christi, Texas in December 2004. We all joked about the year-round nice weather they'd be enjoying. So what happened? They no sooner get moved in and the Corpus Christi area has their biggest snowstorm since the late 1800s on Christmas eve into Christmas day 2004 anywhere from 4"-13". They emailed everyone pictures of them out playing in the pretty deep snow.

So while snow goes out of it's way to avoid most of us, it actually follows this family around. :wacko:

• Like 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

First of all, what I said wasn't sarcasm. Complaining about us is fine. Like I said, I'm not one to be a mini-mod after all.

Oh my GOD. How many times do I have to say it. Stop trying to control what we post and where we post. You guys have been beating this dead horse for the past 2-3 years and all it does all the time is start s**t. Is that all you're trying to do? Seems like it. The fact that you have yet to hit the ignore button on me kinda implies that. If I'm disappointed about what's happening with a storm, I'm gonna post about it in the storm thread because it pertains to the storm. I don't know how to make it more obvious than it already was.

Also, why is everyone so triggered over me calling Lincoln the shaft city? It's a freakin' joke. Just like the fact that you get legitimately offended over it.

Also, if you have actually been paying attention, you'll see that I do congratulate people whenever they get snow. Butttttt you choose to ignore that because you instead choose to come after me any time I say something negative. Last weekend, I said congrats Omaha when they got 10" of snow versus our 3". And the weekend before that I said congrats KC when they got 6" of snow versus our 3". But no, that's not convenient enough.

You know what I do? I post observations here and my feelings about what is going on. Boredom, anger, thrill, stress, I've expressed it all on here. Hell I'm sure we all have at least once. I just do it more. And nothing that you armchair critics say is going to change the way I post. So if you don't like that, then you are more than free to hit that ignore button! Because I'm going nowhere, and I'm going to continue posting what I want, where I want. Obviously within the rules of this forum, which you have thankfully not set.

Sorry if that was harsh, but nothing pisses me off more than anti-logic and having to repeat myself over and over and over again.

Bravo....well written. I think we all need to realize we are all humans again and understand that we all feel crap from day to day, whether it be good, bad, or whatever. We all have a lot more in common with one another than not. We are ALL people and all human with character defects.

The more wisdom a person has, the more free they are.

• Like 2

This isnt a complaint but is low quality enough it doesn't belong in the main thread. Just lol GFS. 

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2018120818/384/sfct.conus.png

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

@ GFS

I think for KORD, that'd be mild compared to 12-24-83. Just saying, it can be cold in December. But yeah, -35F in the afternoon across S Canada. Idk??

KORD, just your average "43.5 deg's below normal day" :lol:

1983-12-24 -11 -25 -18.0 -43.5

Insane stuff when you think about that departure.

• Like 2