January 2016 in the PNW

crf450ish

44 at SEA... toasty.

So much for the inversion getting progressively colder with each day.

Perhaps they will hit 50!!! So glad I I live in a land of 33 degrees!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

44 at SEA... toasty.

So much for the inversion getting progressively colder with each day.

Definitely much deeper easterly flow than the models showed a few days ago. I think they were all thrown off a little by that goofy little vortmax.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

YES! There has to be some sort of identifiable relation between the solar cycles and the weather (here in the PNW...). Not in a general sense, I mean in a more exact pin-pointable sense. Do you have any references that talk about how long it takes us to see the residual effects of a solar minimum?

I had recently been looking at the correlation between snowfall during La Nina winters and the solar cycle.  Sorry, but I only looked at sites in SW BC.  Snowfall amounts nearly double in relation to average when a La Nina winter coincides with a period of decreasing or low solar activity.  Not sure if anyone really knows about what may occur as we likely enter a period similar to the Dalton Minimum.

Location                       Average Snowfall              Average during years of                 Average during years of

Decreasing or Low Solar                 Increasing or High Solar

ShawniganLake               29.5"                                   52.3"   (177%)                             31.1"  (105%)              

Abbotsford (YXX)               21.7"                               46.5"    (214%)                             22.7"   (105%)

Vancouver (YVR)                 15"                                31.9"     (213%)                            17.7"   (118%)

Here are the individual La Nina years I used that occurred during low solar.

*EDIT.  1985 (remarkable November), and 1996 (December Blizzard) just missed making the cut for a La Nina, but were cold ENSO years, I would guess the argument could be made to include them. 

solarcycle-lanina.jpg

• Like 4

Much warmer today... 37 here with a dewpoint of 18.

No melting at all... there is no water anywhere.    I think the snow is start to sublimate a little. It almost has to with a brisk wind and very dry air.    Still very little change in the snow cover, but it is much nicer to lose snow on a brilliantly sunny day as opposed to a rainy, gloomy day.  

37F here this afternoon as well.  I can hear the last of the snow melting off the roof in the sunshine.  Snow on the ground is mostly holding its own.  (still about 1")

That is so boring and depressing.   Lets pretend for another few weeks!  

We're not even 1 full day into 2016 and you're up to your usual routine of jumping on everything Jim posts. He can't even use the words "possible, potentially" or anything. He can't even look at any possibilities without you going after him with your usual sarcastic, condescending drivel, and then you congratulate yourself in doing so. It's so fu**ing stupid how obsessed you are with Jim, or rather your quest to tear him down. It annoys the living piss out of everyone here to have to read this usually on a daily basis, often multiple times. You absolutely get off on doing so. Just stop already. Go outside and enjoy your crusty snow that 97% of us don't have. I see exactly what Jim is talking about, especially on the ECMWF. Some subtle hints that the very strong block/positive anomaly could retrograde back to Alaska and as well the southwestward digging trough is very evident from Nunavut to the Canadian prairies. It's not a trend yet. We're not even into "baby steps" territory yet. It's just something to keep an eye on.

• Like 8

Much warmer today... 37 here with a dewpoint of 18.

No melting at all... there is no water anywhere. I think the snow is start to sublimate a little. It almost has to with a brisk wind and very dry air. Still very little change in the snow cover, but it is much nicer to lose snow on a brilliantly sunny day as opposed to a rainy, gloomy day.

Only made it to 30.5 so far, may have been my high, lots of wind too! That cold pool is doing the trick

• Like 2

Selective memory...forget about his "baby"?

His 'baby' brought the best snow event of the series for my location... hours of powdery snow. Had the potential for everyone... he was right.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Only made it to 30.5 so far, may have been my high, lots of wind too! That cold pool is doing the trick

Very nice. Wind and cold. Wind is making it much warmer here today.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I had recently been looking at the correlation between snowfall during La Nina winters and the solar cycle.  Sorry, but I only looked at sites in SW BC.  Snowfall amounts nearly double in relation to average when a La Nina winter coincides with a period of decreasing or low solar activity.  Not sure if anyone really knows about what may occur as we likely enter a period similar to the Dalton Minimum.

Location                       Average Snowfall              Average during years of                 Average during years of

Decreasing or Low Solar                 Increasing or High Solar

ShawniganLake               29.5"                                   52.3"   (177%)                             31.1"  (105%)              

Abbotsford (YXX)               21.7"                               46.5"    (214%)                             22.7"   (105%)

Vancouver (YVR)                 15"                                31.9"     (213%)                            17.7"   (118%)

Here are the individual La Nina years I used that occurred during low solar.

*EDIT.  1985 (remarkable November), and 1996 (December Blizzard) just missed making the cut for a La Nina, but were cold ENSO years, I would guess the argument could be made to include them. 

attachicon.gifsolarcycle-lanina.jpg

Very nice post! Thank you. I would love to witness what so many have talked about what happened during the winters in the 70's. Back when the greater puget sound used to see the kind of weather I am experiencing over here right now. Sub freezing highs....sub  zero lows, lots of snow that sticks around etc.... frozen lakes and ponds. My grandpa told me when he was in his late 30's he remembers walking out onto Alder Lake and Riffe Lake. Now that would be epic....

I've always loved when the ponds start freezing over.  

Nute's Pond on Bainbridge:  :wub:

384228_10153780179999043_3834507199277545470_n.jpg

Even the beach is completely frozen up in the shade. Looks like it snowed!

8158_953847258033797_6478126743883329790_n.jpg

• Like 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Only topped out at 32º here and now already back down to 30º and dropping with a raging east wind all day. Dew point is now down to 14º! Cold pool has definitely taken over. Going to to a lot more than those weak systems Sunday and early next week to get this cold air scurried out at this point.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Looks like 850 temps stay right around or below freezing so would likely be some very light snow falling.

Didn't I mention this possibly occurring several days ago... :rolleyes:

Pretty unlikely, there's a warming layer aloft with the precip and 925mb temps will definitely be above freezing. Sleet is maybe a "most exciting" case scenario here.

Wish I had a better camera to capture it, but I flew into Seattle yesterday and the view was just incredible.

Greenlake, UW, both floating bridges, Woodland Park Zoo, Downtown Seattle, and the ferry on Puget Sound with Bainbridge Island and the snowcapped Olympics in the background.

All without a cloud in the sky!

580372_10207967874171889_4331394542047382227_n.jpg

• Like 5

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Pretty awesome scenery today making the short 10min drive to the lake house. Lots of frost which makes it look like there has been snowfall. Roads are quite slick however! Already down to 31 degrees after a high of 35.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

High temp of 32.9 here, down to 31.0 with 35-45mph east wind. Until the cold pool is mixed out east side not much is going to change and with one system after another approaching from the southwest I can't see the Gorge outflow ending for many days along with possible frozen precip east of the Coast Range becoming more confined to areas east of I-205/Gorge into next week.

His 'baby' brought the best snow event of the series for my location... hours of powdery snow. Had the potential for everyone... he was right.

Ok...I'm sure he was anticipating what it would bring you. And you were just talking about how December was a complete fail for the lowlands...no consistency.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Wish I had a better camera to capture it, but I flew into Seattle yesterday and the view was just incredible.

Greenlake, UW, both floating bridges, Woodland Park Zoo, Downtown Seattle, and the ferry on Puget Sound with Bainbridge Island and the snowcapped Olympics in the background.

All without a cloud in the sky!

attachicon.gif580372_10207967874171889_4331394542047382227_n.jpg

WOW! I flew to Alaska and back from Sea-tac & Spokane multiple times this summer and not once did I see as clear of skies as this. And that was in JUNE/JULY!!!!

Its already 16 here! At this rate I should see single digits tonight. I am waiting for temps 5 degrees or lower so I can make a cold start video of my cummins diesel pickup  :) . See how she performs in these temps after living the last 13 years in western wa.... :blink:

• Like 1

Happy New Year to everybody! I have been super busy and haven't had a chance to post much. I just saw this on twitter and the new run of the 12z ECMWF EPS Ensemble Control today shows lots of potential as we head into mid January.

Wx Expert @Expert_Wx "Look at the ECMWF EPS Mean and Control 850T Anomalies. Would result in a big polar air mass for mid-January. #AO "

http://i.imgur.com/Y72QijJ.jpg

https://twitter.com/Expert_Wx/status/683024821278486528

Jim Was talking about how things were looking more favorable Coming up, that does indeed look quite promising!! Perhaps my prediction of snow by the 18th might come to be!

It never got above 21 at my place today. Now already down to 11 and I have started the sprinkler on the front yard tree. Icicles are already about a foot long and growing fast. Yes, I'm a dork.

Oh you are now required to take pictures!!!

It never got above 21 at my place today. Now already down to 11 and I have started the sprinkler on the front yard tree. Icicles are already about a foot long and growing fast. Yes, I'm a dork.

I did that in December 2009 with the pear tree at my parents house. Left the hose pointed up on mist for 1 night and the tree looked incredible. There was tons of ice on the grass surrounding it as well.