East/Gulf Coast Weather 2016

Phil

I'm liking the prospects for 40-50mph winds here this weekend, followed by another round of 30-40mph winds on Monday.

Orientation of the pressure surge w/ the ridges to the west should make for very nice downsloping/thermal instability.

DCA 80/73 @ 2pm. Lol.

I'm at 81.7/70 currently. At least we can (hopefully) kiss summer goodbye after today.

Vibrant foliage showing up now..basically everything was green just 4 days ago.

Maybe the warmth sped up the trees' metabolisms or something? I can't ever recall going from green foliage to near-peak this quickly before. Should be a leaf apocalypse with winds possibly approaching 50mph on Saturday.

Gorgeous sunny day after the front went through. 70* with 49% humidity. Light breeze. I'd like some more, please ?

We received about .75" rain last night with nice thunder and lightning. Great way to usher in my birthday.

Thank you, Mother Nature !

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Vibrant foliage showing up now..basically everything was green just 4 days ago.

Maybe the warmth sped up the trees' metabolisms or something? I can't ever recall going from green foliage to near-peak this quickly before. Should be a leaf apocalypse with winds possibly approaching 50mph on Saturday.

Love the Leaf Apocalypse analogy. Oh the humanity !

That should make for a record short fall foliage period however.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Love the Leaf Apocalypse analogy. Oh the humanity !

That should make for a record short fall foliage period however.

The oaks are still green for the most part, but everything else is dropping in a hurry. Light SE breezes between 10-15mph today had leaves cascading down everywhere.

Interesting autumn. Stagnant, but with subtle-yet-significant pattern oscillations.

November looks to start out chilly. Could be a solidly cool/stormy through the first 1-2 weeks of the month.

Very much encouraged by the -NAM/polar blocking that's developed this autumn. Usually is a good sign in Niña winters.

I personally believe LWX is (once again) underestimating winds east of the Blue Ridge.

Current forecast is for 30-35mph gusts, which makes no sense to me. I'd put money down that DCA, IAD, and BWI all observe gusts between 40-50mph by noon Saturday.

PHIL,    Check out you pm's, please.

We're at 69* at 1pm with 45% humidity. No wind at all.  Bright and sunny. 

Perfect Fall day.   Gotta love it.  Oh baby !!  :wub:

• Like 1

Front blew through here a few hours ago. Caught the leaf apocalypse on video. DCA gusted to 43mph.

My station recorded a 30mph gust (through the trees). Winds were ~40mph at the treetops.

Was it a Leaf-pocalypse !??

Ck your pm, one last time, then I'll wait for your review and send other comments thru pm.

Thanks again for buying the book !

Snow is falling in WV and MD/PA above 3kft. First snow of the year for them. Blowing snow visible on the ski resort cameras.

Was it a Leaf-pocalypse !??

Ck your pm, one last time, then I'll wait for your review and send other comments thru pm.

Thanks again for buying the book !

Haha.

Sorry for the delay. Will get back to you ASAP.

House is creaking in the wind today. Even through the trees my station picked up a 37mph gust. Probably ~ 45mph in reality, just based on the deep roar.

I personally believe LWX is (once again) underestimating winds east of the Blue Ridge.

Current forecast is for 30-35mph gusts, which makes no sense to me. I'd put money down that DCA, IAD, and BWI all observe gusts between 40-50mph by noon Saturday.

With winds gusting between 40-50mph area wide today, LWX has finally caved and issued a last-minute wind advisory. I love LWX to death, but I think this one was obvious given W/NW wind climo is fairly straightforward here, IMO. Downslope days almost always overperform modeling south of the Mason-Dixon line when insolation is ample, especially on the bookends of the cold season.

WIND ADVISORY UNTIL 5PM EDT SAT WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS ISSUED A WIND ADVISORY WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON.

* TIMING ONGOING. STRONG WINDS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON BEFORE DIMINISHING THIS EVENING.

* WINDS NORTHWEST WINDS WITH GUSTS OF 45 TO 50 MPH POSSIBLE.

* IMPACTS SCATTERED TREE AND POWER LINE DAMAGE. DIFFICULTY DRIVING HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WINDS OF 45 TO 55 MPH ARE EXPECTED. WINDS WILL BE STRONG ENOUGH TO MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. DRIVE CAUTIOUSLY.

Love the storm app by wunderground..very reflective wind speed maps. Can see the zone of higher winds locally, typical of downslope events.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/2DCE84E7-E125-4360-A2E6-65D357A198B0_zpswgwx2ou8.png

Got my personal station up and running on the app as well. Has both real and interpolated gust values based on the timing between transmissions, I assume.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/A4D60463-F2BD-4793-B1EF-5CFC92B32FD9_zpspaxtvsic.png

Perfect fall day and a great way to abruptly rid the world of any reminders of summer.

Late November looks interesting.

Today @ Bald Knob, WV. 'Tis almost that time of year.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1166074236813494&id=577901605630763&__tn__=%2As

Pressure surge over the Appalachians right now. Gusts are generally between 50-60mph with a few readings approaching 70mph to the N/NW of Spruce Knob.

Thunderstorm activity ongoing with the cold front in central PA, at 3AM in late October. Not bad.

Downsloping keeping things warm today. Quickly approaching 70 degrees here with gusty W/NW winds, though not nearly as strong as last Saturday. Looking forward to getting better wind readings as leaves drop off the trees.

Some crazy gusts in the mountains last night. Friend of mine who lives just outside Davis, WV described it as sounding like planes taking off and landing in his bedroom. Lol.

Zzzzzz

It's boring. Mid 80's. Sunny...Rinse....Repeat....for a week.

Re: The mts. where your friend is Phil, is that where you're moving? That windy there ?

Zzzzzz

It's boring. Mid 80's. Sunny...Rinse....Repeat....for a week.

Re: The mts. where your friend is Phil, is that where you're moving? That windy there ?

Haha, sadly I'm not moving to the mountains anytime soon, but yeah, climatologically speaking it's quite windy on the ridge tops. Especially above 4000ft, it's not super uncommon to see winds between 80mph and 100mph, even stronger at times.

I'm just moving farther out of the city, onto Parrs ridge (elevated plateau in central MD). Better climo than here but nothing like the mountains.

We managed to decouple last night, dropped to 36.9F for our coldest morning of the season. Inversion mixed out quickly this morning, though, and 30mph winds resumed within a few hours of sunrise.

Currently 57.7/37 and beautiful outside. Looking at a possible freeze tonight.

100mph sounds a tad breezy. How do they manage to keep a roof on the house in that area?

We rarely see over 85mph straight line winds. Tornadic get higher.

Oh, and if you get those books, feel free to share the back story. Doesn't bother me.

I'd be interested in their insights.

• Like 1

100mph sounds a tad breezy. How do they manage to keep a roof on the house in that area?

We rarely see over 85mph straight line winds. Tornadic get higher.

Oh, and if you get those books, feel free to share the back story. Doesn't bother me.

I'd be interested in their insights.

Combination of sheltered build sites, trees, and construction codes. I've experienced a few crazy wind events in Wintergreen, VA, and it's really amazing how well everything holds up. They'll get blasted with 70mph winds and not even a single twig will come down.

Last winter they gusted to 88mph. As far as I know, little to no tree damage occurred on the mountain, just some minor damage to siding on a few of the lodges.

Low of 32.9 this morning with spotty frost on cars and grass.

Might have to wait until November for our first freeze. Didn't think I'd ever have to wait longer than I did last year, but once again this climate humbles me.

Clouds have moved in here. Looking forward to tomorrow's rainfall..has been a dry month.

Then we have one more torchy period to get through in early November before stronger troughing may try to establish over the country.

30f last night. growing season has ended. heavy frost

Jealous. Weeds and skeeters have yet to kick the bucket here.

DCA gusted to 44mph today. Have a feeling this might be a windier than average winter. Maybe similar to 2010/11?

I'm rooting for a huge wind event this winter, something like February 2011, March 2008, or another one of the big dogs from the 2003-2006 era (I don't remember too much before that).

Last April's storm was great (the strongest since 2011 here), however still wasn't quite in the league of 2011/2008 et al. I think the March 2008 storm delivered 70-80mph gusts at all three local airports. Last April, by comparison, gusted to 67mph @ IAD, but just 56mph @ DCA.

So, another ridiculous blowtorch autumn?

So sick of this bulls**t. Hopefully things turn around during the second half of November.

We were radiating nicely until 830pm, before southerly winds developed and spiked temps by 10 degrees in under 2hrs.

Currently 67 degrees as of 1030pm. Feels like September.

Big front roared through here about 1/2hr ago. Gusts were easily between 40-45mph, but my station only registered 32mph through the trees. Got some great video that I'll post.

I'm envious. We're hot and dry. I mean c' mon.

High 91 today and low tonight 63. That's Fall in Texas.

Looks like IAD gusted to 50mph, DCA to 43mph. Finally, a truly classic autumnal frontal passage.

Socked in the low clouds today. Starts getting harder to manage sunshine on easterly flow at this time of year.

Looks like another solid frontal passage on Thursday afternoon. Wouldn't anticipate much severe weather, but 40-50mph winds along with convective rains looks like a good bet IMO.

I will be visiting Abilene again in December. I hope it is as much fun as last year. We had 70s and sunshine followed by 30s and thunderstorms and then 20s and snow! 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

That nice-looking cold frontal passage has completely fallen apart on guidance. Washed out mess now. Still socked in the low clouds this morning.

Fuuck this pattern.

• Like 1