The "Dewey's Second Chance" Post Tax-Day Scorchin' April Nicewave Contest! ~ Part Deux (y)

Jesse

I won like the past 4 of these that I participated in, so out of respect for competitive balance I took a break. But the past contest was just so sad...so I'll play this time around.

PDX:

4/15: 63/44

4/16: 72/44

4/17: 82/48

4/18: 84/52

4/19: 73/48

SEA:

4/15: 60/45

4/16: 68/43

4/17: 77/50

4/18: 82/54

4/19: 72/51

A forum for the end of the world.

Friday I think.

You may want to wait. Tuesday is like it could be a bias disaster.

I am going cold on Tuesday unless something changes on the 00Z runs.

How can Friday be in the contest but the entries not due until that night?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I am going cold on Tuesday unless something changes on the 00Z runs.

How can Friday be in the contest but the entries not due until that night?

Friday at midnight. Tomorrow night. Thursday night. Prior to Friday during the day. Three days before Monday, two days before three days from next Wednesday.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Subject to change, should mesoscale guidance shift.

SEA

4/15: 61/44

4/16: 68/48

4/17: 77/53

4/18: 83/54

4/19: 74/52

PDX

4/15: 63/44

4/16: 74/49

4/17: 84/58

4/18: 86/53

4/19: 76/52

Tuesday is looking like the toughest call at this point. Going to wait for a couple more runs, then will post my forecast by this evening.

For me personally (an outsider) Sunday/Sunday night at PDX is the most difficult given gradients that favor a gusty east wind. I don't know whether or not they'll decouple overnight as I obviously don't follow that.

For me personally (an outsider) Sunday/Sunday night at PDX is the most difficult given gradients that favor a gusty east wind. I don't know whether or not they'll decouple overnight as I obviously don't follow that.

I would say they decouple. Deep easterly flow isn't too common at this point in the season. 50-55 probably a safe range for lows Sunday night (which, just to avoid confusion, is also Monday morning).

• Like 1

It's really rare for areas away from the gorge or foothills to hold onto the east wind after 10pm or so during the warm season.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Minor updates based on latest guidance:

SEA

4/15: 58/44

4/16: 67/47

4/17: 77/53

4/18: 85/53

4/19: 78/52

PDX

4/15: 60/41

4/16: 72/50

4/17: 81/58

4/18: 87/53

4/19: 76/52

I would say they decouple. Deep easterly flow isn't too common at this point in the season. 50-55 probably a safe range for lows Sunday night (which, just to avoid confusion, is also Monday morning).

It's really rare for areas away from the gorge or foothills to hold onto the east wind after 10pm or so during the warm season.

Thanks. Yeah I presumed the diurnal inversion would win, but I haven't followed the area closely enough to be certain of that.

I don't know how reliable the higher resolution guidance is out there, but a lot of solutions have a decent mesoscale gradient, with well-mixed soundings persisting until 1-3am at PDX, at which point the surface decouples. Would be a tough call on the low at PDX if they're legitimate. For all I know it could be a regular mesoscale modeling error or something.

12Z ECMWF says that Tuesday is still warm.

Hell... even after the crash and with some precip on Wednesday it still shows highs getting up to around 70.

Even warmer on Thursday.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12Z ECMWF says that Tuesday is still warm.

Hell... even after the crash and with some precip on Wednesday it still shows highs getting up to around 70.

Even warmer on Thursday.

I could have predicted that. That is how everything goes these days.

I could have predicted that. That is how everything goes these days.

The last warm spell resulted in a stronger and more persistent marine push crash than anticipated.

They certainly have no place in record warm months. 

Some places in your area are indeed putting cool anomalies today, though, so I'm not sure what you mean.

58/44 so far today at SEA... it will be a little above normal today.     

56 here right now.   Guessing this is pretty close to an average mid-April day in King County.

That is all.  

PDX:

4/15: 60/44

4/16: 72/45

4/17: 82/47

4/18: 86/53

4/19: 72/53

Mark is going really warm with this. 75, 85, 88, 79 for the highs. I'll enter his numbers into this just for fun:

4/15: 61/45

4/16: 75/46

4/17: 85/49

4/18: 88/51

4/19: 79/54

Clearly trolling this contest/Jesse.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

SEA:

4/15: 61/44

4/16: 68/46

4/17: 75/48

4/18: 83/55

4/19: 75/53

PDX:

4/15: 62/46

4/16: 74/44

4/17: 84/47

4/18: 87/56

4/19: 74/54

How are we structuring the low temperatures in accordance with the date change? Would a low temperature at 6AM on 4/17, for example, count as the low for 4/17 or overnight on 4/16?