Another Indonesian Volcano Erupts

I don’t have many details, but news out of Indonesia appears to be that a significant eruption (see above) has started at Kelut (Kelud). News (mainly in Indonesia) suggests ash falling upwards of 15-40 km from the volcano, some of it gravel-sized. The latest monitoring data (see translation below) noted an eruption at 23:29 (local time) and that the volcanologist have left their posts due to the eruption (also note the comment on the far right bottom of the table). The BNPB has recommended that all people living within 10 km of the volcano be evacuated. The Indonesian government has set up 78 evacuation shelters around Kelud and only a few hours ago, the alert status had been raised to its highest level.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/eruptions/

2-14-13

image.jpg

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like the eruption is on a similar scale to the 1990 explosive event.

The current advisory from the Darwin VAAC has ash to FL450 (13 km / 45,000 feet).

Indonesia is always popping off somewhere, however, recently the eruptions have been particularly large.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Large SO2 cloud drifting in Indian Ocean. Kelly remains active, lots of micro swarms ongoing.

image.jpg

The eruption at Kelud (Kelut) has rapidly become another humanitarian crisis for Indonesia. After the impressive explosive eruption yesterday, over 100,000 people have had to evacuate the region around the volcano in case further explosions occur. The heavy ash fall from the explosion has coated towns and cities (see below) over 100 km from the volcano and lead to injuries and deaths after a roof collapsed at one of the evacuation shelters. Currently, the death toll from the eruption is only 3 (2 from the roof collapse and 1 from ash inhalation), but that number may climb.

At least three international airport were closed due to the ash and the plume itself (at least the sulfur dioxide) was still clearly visible in satellite images (see below). Some people leaving comments on yesterday’s post said they heard the blast of the eruption over 180 km from the volcano and ash was falling upwards of 200 km distant — to the tune of 5 cm!

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/eruptions/

2/14/14

image.jpg