Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Climate and the Carboniferous Period

• Please log in to reply

Andie

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:12 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in North Texas
http://www.geocraft....us_climate.html

Nice article on CO2 levels throughout long history and why...land mass organization and drift enter in here and the cycles are predictable. We are currently in a cooler period with lower CO2 levels.
Nice read and good charts.

Attached File  image.gif   28.2KB   0 downloads
Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem, First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes................. "TwcMan say's...I've got the brass...to ban...your a**." .... TWCMan, the Legend.

IbrChris

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:48 PM

IbrChris

Moderating Meteorologist

• Meteorologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1896 posts
  • LocationTigard, OR and Portland, OR (work)

Makes sense why the Carboniferous saw cooling as plants absorbed (and locked away) massive amounts of CO2 from the atmosphere. We are still utilizing the oil, coal and natural gas from those plants today. Interesting that there have been both "snowball Earth" episodes and episodes with global mean temp of 25c (really warm, our mean temp in Portland isn't even that warm in July).

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Andie

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Yeah, but you know, we couldn't tattoo the above chart on the foreheads of every Climate Change Politician and Scientist and convince them its a cycle.

Have you ever been around a large group of geese and one begins to honk and they all join in ?....well, they haven't stopped honking since.... :lol:

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem, First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes................. "TwcMan say's...I've got the brass...to ban...your a**." .... TWCMan, the Legend.

snow_wizard

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 10631 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA
It's pretty east to see it's been colder than now with higher CO2. Go figure...

I think the global average now is around 15C.
Death To Warm Anomalies!

winter.jpg

Winter 2016-17 Stats

Total snow = 9.8"
Days Min 32 or below = 61
Days Max 32 or below = 1
Days Max Below 40 = 29
Coldest Min = 16

OKwx2k4

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

OKwx2k4

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1780 posts
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing Andie.

Phil

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11971 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.

It's pretty east to see it's been colder than now with higher CO2. Go figure...

I think the global average now is around 15C.

You must use the word "east" frequently. :lol:

My phone will sometimes autocorrect typos to "ENSO" or "forcing".
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Warm season 2017:
Thunderstorm days: 4
Severe days: 3
Hail: 1 (pea sized)
Wind: 2 (62mph, 58mph)
Rain total: 4.54"

Andie

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:03 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
Ran across this article tonight that ties in with the above article on land mass drift and climate change.

It's no secret that land mass drift and volcanic activity go hand in hand. This article from The Earth Institure of Columbia University adds weight to this discussion.

( Yeah, I know, I'm having a geeky evening )

Seafloor Volcano Pulses May Alter Climate
http://www.earthinst...icles/view/3231