September 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

The first month of meteorological autumn is almost upon us. 

CFS showing near normal to slightly above normal in the region.

Little low on precip - west.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

The CPC dropped their September forecast from a high chance of above normal to equal chance on today's update.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Last year PDX averaged 5.9F below normal through the first 7 days of September. It will be tough to beat that. 

It's actually possible.  The general pattern is capable of doing it, but it will come down to the details.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Today's 12z GFS got me to thinking 1972 just a little bit.  It would be pretty exciting if it verified.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wasn't 72 heading into a strong Nino?

It was.  That was one of the strangest El Nino seasons on record.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It was.  That was one of the strangest El Nino seasons on record.

The thing is though, from an observed temperature standpoint at the surface that winter had a pretty typical El Nino signature. At least on a macro level. The cold was done by January 12th and the rest of the winter was typical Nino blues. 

For a strange El Nino winter, I like 1987-88. Consistently chilly through January and into early February, which is something you don't normally see in a moderate or strong Nino. 

Of the 11 El Nino winters since 1950 that averaged at least a 1.0 ONI between Oct-Dec, 1987-88 is the only one where the coldest weather of the season occurred in the late January/early February period (35/22 at PDX on 2/2). In a typical Nino that calendar stretch is reliably mild. 

For a strange El Nino winter, I like 1987-88. Consistently chilly through January and into early February, which is something you don't normally see in a moderate or strong Nino.

Of the 11 El Nino winters since 1950 that averaged at least a 1.0 ONI between Oct-Dec, 1987-88 is the only one where the coldest weather of the season occurred in the late January/early February period (35/22 at PDX on 2/2). In a typical Nino that calendar stretch is reliably mild.

February-March 1988 were very ridgy though, and the coldest stretch overall was in the late December/beginning of January period, both of which are typical Niño traits.

I think 1968-69 and 1896-97 take the prize as "weirdest" El Niños.

Although all the action is just south of us, that line of heavy precip is holding together nicely. Lightning will light up the room here and there. Started raining hard enough on the way home that I pulled off to take a slower and safer route with the wife and baby in the car, took a video along the way. 

https://goo.gl/photos/2nMkvdf1iREsKcm67

• Like 7

Although all the action is just south of us, that line of heavy precip is holding together nicely. Lightning will light up the room here and there. Started raining hard enough on the way home that I pulled off to take a slower and safer route with the wife and baby in the car, took a video along the way. 

Impressive storm cell. 

Awesome video, man!

February-March 1988 were very ridgy though, and the coldest stretch overall was in the late December/beginning of January period, both of which are typical Niño traits.

I think 1968-69 and 1896-97 take the prize as "weirdest" El Niños.

1968-69 was a borderline weak/moderate Nino though. 1987-88 was solidly moderate, bordering on strong at least if you use the ONI index.

I like 1896-97 in this example. No freezes at downtown Portland between December 2nd and January 10th, then an Arctic blast in late January. Exactly the opposite of what you would expect in a Nino winter. 

1968-69 was a borderline weak/moderate Nino though. 1987-88 was solidly moderate, bordering on strong at least if you use the ONI index.

I like 1896-97 in this example. No freezes at downtown Portland between December 2nd and January 10th, then an Arctic blast in late January. Exactly the opposite of what you would expect in a Nino winter. 

Also the coldest March on record for Portland in 1897. Very Nina like. March is generally a blowtorch in a stronger El Nino.

I think March 1897 being that cold was the most bizarre thing about that Nino. You can almost always count on February and March being warm in a Nino, but that March was the coldest on record for Portland. An average high of 45.7 is just nuts.

Also the coldest March on record for Portland in 1897. Very Nina like. March is generally a blowtorch in a stronger El Nino.

That's a good point about March. 

That cold season shared a number of similarities with 1955-56, a strong Nina. Both had major cold spells in November, late January, and March. That's definitely more of a Nina progression. 

That is impressive. 

Still going too. Although it seems to be moving more towards the mountains now.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Thanks, you would have seen it sooner if you would check your messenger :)

Lol, sorry. For some reason I haven't gotten notifications from Facebook messenger since I updated to IOS 9.3.5. Have to check it manually..meh.

Any idea where those records are kept? Would love to take a look for the Whatcom / Skagit County area 

As far as I know, the short term rainfall records are only kept at first order stations. Portland, Seattle, etc. 

For example the Portland NWS has rainfall records for PDX on their website. 

The ECMWF is very chilly for the entire run.  Really nippy shortwave diving toward us at the end.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The ECMWF is very chilly for the entire run. Really nippy shortwave diving toward us at the end.

Not a fan of that +NAM developing during week2. Will make it easier for the PV aloft to strengthen uninhibited, though I guess one should expect a strong early-winter PV in a +QBO anyway.

Not a fan of that +NAM developing during week2. Will make it easier for the PV aloft to strengthen uninhibited, though I guess one should expect a strong early-winter PV in a +QBO anyway.

Isn't September a bit early for the PV to get going?

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Isn't September a bit early for the PV to get going?

September is when it gets going..the dominoes start falling in earnest from mid/late September through mid/late October.