Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Two questions for experts about South Lake Tahoe and a little something?

• Please log in to reply

champbailey3

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:11 AM

champbailey3

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello, I am new to forums in general and would like to have a few questions answered. If I am posting this somewhere I shouldn't, please notify me and tell me how to change it, thank you.

My questions are:

How far north, south, east, and west does the weather/climate stay the same for a city? Like, when you leave the city limits on the north side, south, east, west, etc. how many miles do you have to travel for the weather/climate to change? Specifically, what about South Lake Tahoe, CA? I will be moving up there soon to rent a place.

Last question:

When does the snow season start in South Lake Tahoe? What month/date?

A simple explanation for all my questions would be great, thank you!

*****UPDATE****** I live in the center part of South Lake Tahoe, California.

Black Hole

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

Black Hole

Daily Contributor

• Admin
  • 1170 posts
  • LocationBountiful, Ut 84010 ~4575ft

The simplest answer to all of your questions is, it depends.

For your case there is probably pretty rapid elevation change and so it makes it hard to generalize if you live far from the nearest station. 

Look into the western region climate center and find the station closest to wherever you are, it will allow you to make some estimations on your questions. Or...give some more info and somebody on here can help. 

BS Atmospheric Science University of Utah May 2015

PhD Candidate Atmospheric Sciences

--Emphasis on: Forecasting, Mountain Weather, Numerical Weather Prediction, Data Assimilation

Winter 2016/17 Snow:
Nov 17: 3.2", 23: 1.6", 28: 9.2" (14)

Dec 1: .5", 16: 2.5", 25: 13" (16)

Jan 2: 5", 3: 2.4", 4: 7.7", 12: 1", 19: 1.2", 21: 13", 23: 6", 24: 1", 25: 3.7", 26: 2.5" (43.5) 

Feb 11: .5", 23: 6.5", 27: 4.5" (13.5)

Mar 5: 5.5" (5.5)

Apr 8: 2", 9: 1.8" (3.8)

May 17: 1" (1)
Total: 96.3"

Lowest Temp: 2F

iFred

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:18 PM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2105 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.

Hello, I am new to forums in general and would like to have a few questions answered. If I am posting this somewhere I shouldn't, please notify me and tell me how to change it, thank you.

My questions are:

How far north, south, east, and west does the weather/climate stay the same for a city? Like, when you leave the city limits on the north side, south, east, west, etc. how many miles do you have to travel for the weather/climate to change? Specifically, what about South Lake Tahoe, CA? I will be moving up there soon to rent a place.

Last question:

When does the snow season start in South Lake Tahoe? What month/date?

A simple explanation for all my questions would be great, thank you!

*****UPDATE****** I live in the center part of South Lake Tahoe, California.

SLT is pretty great for snow, you can go down highway 50 for a bit before you are out of the snow line. Anywhere between Truckee to the north, Carson City in the east, and you'll see snow. The earliest snow I have heard for the lake is late October, but that is always in the hills first. There is always a couple weeks were down at the lake you'll see snow cover, but there are a lot of dumps and melts over the season.

For the city itself, you'll be fine. The one place that does better for snow is Truckee.