Unusual weather trivia that is hard to google

Scott

Does anyone know of any outside these timelines?

Not exactly what you're talking about, but the early November 1935 cold wave brought readings to eastern OR that would be considered borderline top-tier cold even in January. For example Sheaville, in Malheur County, hit -25F on 11/4/1935. Compare to all-time great cold waves in December 1972 and December 1990, which only dropped Sheaville to -30F and -31F, respectively. 

I did some more digging on Bowen, MT.

Their original COOP observation forms are available @ the NCDC. Station #241022 with a period of record from 1906-1921. Located in Beaverhead County which is to the west of Yellowstone. This county also contains Wisdom, a known cold spot. 

Here's August 1910 showing the 5F reading on the 25th:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-3908EFFC-F077-44A9-B9EF-B72048A85915.pdf

84% would be 307 days.

Bowdie California gets close (302 days, but maybe it reaches 307 days depending on which time period you look at).

The old station at Fraser Colorado (317 days)

Pikes Peak (316 days)

Mount Rainier (probably all days)

Peter Sinks very rarely goes more than a few days without freezing. Ibr Chris says 26 days this year.

Probably a lot of other locations in the high mountains that have never had a weather station as well.

Was referring to the location with the longest running weather station which was Bodie, CA. Throughout its history 307 days is correct.

Do you have a source for the -26F reading at St. Paul in January 1919? 

Yes; it's in the old USA Today Weather Almanac.  The book has been out of print for decades now and mine is falling apart.  Unfortunately though, I don't know where the USA Weather Almanac obtained their information.   Here is a photo of that page:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/982765.JPG

I have also not been able to find the reading on the internet, but I suspect that it is probably legitimate since there was an Alaskan cold snap during that time period and since the WRCC says a weather station existed at that time and at the same location (but it the extremes table is only from 1949 and on).   According to the METADATA, the weather station was in the same location, but has a one foot elevation change. 

Regarding the Aleutians - I see no reason to doubt the late-season record lows.

The reason I consider the Shemya reading suspect is because the reading shows up as the monthly and all time record low in the WRCC database, but not as the daily record low for April 2.  April isn't much warmer there than in winter, so the reading still might be legitimate. 

Was referring to the location with the longest running weather station which was Bodie, CA. Throughout its history 307 days is correct. 

Both Fraser and Bodie could be correct, depending on which years are looked at.  Both stations have a very long temperature record.   Fraser's goes back to 1909 and Bodie's back to 1895.   Fraser has 100 years of data during that time period and Bodie, 62 years. 

If you use the entire history from both locations, Fraser would win.   However, in 1988 the Fraser station was moved to a different location that is a little warmer.  So, if you only count the stations that are in their current location, Bodie wins.  (Of note, Fraser usually isn't included in the Nation's daily extremes since there is a rule that stations above 8,500 feet aren't used for the daily extremes). 

I guess whichever one is the winner depends on whether you are from Colorado or California (or favor one state over the other).  :)

Yes; it's in the old USA Today Weather Almanac.  The book has been out of print for decades now and mine is falling apart.  Unfortunately though, I don't know where the USA Weather Almanac obtained their information.   Here is a photo of that page:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/982765.JPG

I have also not been able to find the reading on the internet, but I suspect that it is probably legitimate since there was an Alaskan cold snap during that time period and since the WRCC says a weather station existed at that time and at the same location (but it the extremes table is only from 1949 and on).   According to the METADATA, the weather station was in the same location, but has a one foot elevation change. 

Thanks for providing that! 

Yeah I have no reason to doubt the 1919 reading @ St. Paul.

The reason I consider the Shemya reading suspect is because the reading shows up as the monthly and all time record low in the WRCC database, but not as the daily record low for April 2.  April isn't much warmer there than in winter, so the reading still might be legitimate. 

I see what you're talking about. The Shemya reading looks bogus. Probably another data input error just like Attu in November 1986. Here's the COOP form for Shemya for April 1988:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-6F2E3397-19F8-4D5F-9179-EADFE9825DBD.pdf

It looks like the minimum should read "22" or something, but the second digit got smudged?

The Attu reading on 3/21/1985 looks legitimate:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-BF2982BB-7DEF-4063-990B-9F144E679D4B.pdf

I see what you're talking about. The Shemya reading looks bogus. Probably another data input error just like Attu in November 1986. Here's the COOP form for Shemya for April 1988:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-6F2E3397-19F8-4D5F-9179-EADFE9825DBD.pdf

It looks like the minimum should read "22" or something, but the second digit got smudged?

The Attu reading on 3/21/1985 looks legitimate:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-BF2982BB-7DEF-4063-990B-9F144E679D4B.pdf

Thanks for providing that info on Shemya.   I assume that would probably make Attu the location in the US with the latest season record low outside of Hawaii.

Now that I look at it though, even the Attu readings do look a bit strange in the link you provided.   It says that the current temperature at the time of the reading was 29F and there are a several other days with diurnal changes close to or exceeding 30F (March 9, 12, 15, 17, 18, and 21).  I wouldn't think that could happen often (or at all) in the Aleutians, but maybe it really is the case?   

PS, since Hawaii was mentioned, do you know what the lowest legitimate temperature in Hawaii is?   I believe Chris Burt checked into the 12F May 17 1979 reading and found it to be inaccurate (it was supposed to be 21F).

WRCC has another 12F on February 25 1977, but I don't know if that one is legitimate or not.   If possible, I'd like to correct any erroneous values on the webpage below:

http://www.summitpost.org/interesting-weather-statistics-for-us-mountain-summits/171585

The Hawaii Atlas actually has a 9F low for January, but doesn't give a source or date, so it seems very suspect.  

Thanks for providing that info on Shemya.   I assume that would probably make Attu the location in the US with the latest season record low outside of Hawaii.

It looks like Attu is the winner. There are a couple other interesting examples. The second coldest reading on record @ Dutch Harbor was -5F on 4/1/1997. Only colder reading was -8F on 1/22/1986. Appears legit based on the original COOP observation form:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-D2EE3841-D557-4F1B-9D11-3F5D0EC8220A.pdf

Wales, AK - on the tip of the Seward Peninsula to the west of Nome - recorded -42F on 3/26/77 which is only 2F from their all-time record low. 

Now that I look at it though, even the Attu readings do look a bit strange in the link you provided.   It says that the current temperature at the time of the reading was 29F and there are a several other days with diurnal changes close to or exceeding 30F (March 9, 12, 15, 17, 18, and 21).  I wouldn't think that could happen often (or at all) in the Aleutians, but maybe it really is the case?   

I would chalk that up to snowcover/decoupling on clear nights. Also, I'm willing to bet that Bering sea ice was at seasonal maximum around that time which helped create the more continental temperature profile that you see. 

Regarding observation times, they appear to be in the afternoon @ this location so they wouldn't have any relation to overnight lows. 

PS, since Hawaii was mentioned, do you know what the lowest legitimate temperature in Hawaii is?   I believe Chris Burt checked into the 12F May 17 1979 reading and found it to be inaccurate (it was supposed to be 21F).

WRCC has another 12F on February 25 1977, but I don't know if that one is legitimate or not.   If possible, I'd like to correct any erroneous values on the webpage below:

http://www.summitpost.org/interesting-weather-statistics-for-us-mountain-summits/171585

The Hawaii Atlas actually has a 9F low for January, but doesn't give a source or date, so it seems very suspect.  

Yeah Christopher Burt researched state temperature records a few years ago. He had a very interesting two-part blog post on the subject:

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/comment.html?entrynum=18

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/comment.html?entrynum=19

Unfortunately I can't add any more to what he laid out:

The coldest temperatures on record for Hawaii are, of course, reported from the several mountaintop observatories in the state. Mauna Kea Observatory located near the summit of said mountain at 13,796’ has had a potted history of weather observations. I say potted because for some reason the COOP forms from this site have been stamped as “unreliable” for several years (1976-1978) of observations during the 1970s. This includes the month of January 1976 when a 9°F reading was made on January 12th of that month and a 12°F reading on Feb. 22, 1977. The ‘official’ low of 12°F on May 17th, 1979 is obviously an error when one looks at the COOP form for that month:

One can see the observer has circled the 12°F reading and replaced it with a 21°F note and question mark (see above). Furthermore, the low temperatures on both the day before and after May 17th were just 23°F lending further doubt to the 12°F reading.

So what might be the actual lowest temperature for Hawaii? A 14°F reading from the summit station at Haleakala, Maui (elevation 10,023’) on Jan. 2, 1961 is the 2nd coldest reading from the state. This, however, is also unbelievable since the low temperature from the previous and following days was just 34°. Twenty-degree swings in minimum temperatures from one day to the next are highly improbable in tropical environments like Hawaii. This leaves a 15°F reading from Mauna Kea Observatory on Jan. 5, 1975 as the mostly likely reliably measured temperature in the state on record.

• Like 1

It looks like Attu is the winner. There are a couple other interesting examples. The second coldest reading on record @ Dutch Harbor was -5F on 4/1/1997. Only colder reading was -8F on 1/22/1986. Appears legit based on the original COOP observation form:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-D2EE3841-D557-4F1B-9D11-3F5D0EC8220A.pdf

Wales, AK - on the tip of the Seward Peninsula to the west of Nome - recorded -42F on 3/26/77 which is only 2F from their all-time record low. 

There might be one possible later one at Cape Hinchinbrook.  WRCC says a record low of -15F on March 26 1963, but it looks dubious?  

There might be one possible later one at Cape Hinchinbrook.  WRCC says a record low of -15F on March 26 1963, but it looks dubious?  

Interesting. It shows up in the COOP form but it looks dubious there as well:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-E6A4E4DF-7DE2-4615-ADD3-5F59C13ED53A.pdf

The nearest station "Cordova North" was 24 degrees that morning:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-7D792A73-F5CA-4BE8-A950-E7BE95CD3C53.pdf

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this one. The observer hand-wrote -15F on the form. Did he make it up? Was he drunk? Did the thermo read -15F erroneously for whatever reason? I honestly don't know what to think here. And this begs the question of how accurate the other hand-written observations that we discussed actually are, i.e. the -5F at Attu on 3/21/1985 or the -5F at Dutch Harbor on 4/1/1997. Although I still tend to believe the latter two, since they fall within the realm of possibility. 

Although I still tend to believe the latter two, since they fall within the realm of possibility. 

Yes, I don't think the Cape Hinchinbrook is reading is accurate.   Alaska does seem to have quite a few dubious readings at some of the weather stations (more so than other areas in the US).   It can be said for sure though, many stations along the Bering Sea, the western section of the Arctic Ocean, the Aleutian Islands and the Gulf of Alaska have their record lows in March. 

I have thought of those readings as well, but I believe the August one at least to be legitimate (see below discussion).  

Yes I am very aware of the late Aug 1910 cold snap...I just wasn't sure of the location. Bowen Camp/Lake seems like the best bet for the location, especially if it is near other very cold spots in SW Montana. Often the station name was shortened in the records. I think I will stick the Hebgen Lake value in there since there's an exact date for it.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Interesting. It shows up in the COOP form but it looks dubious there as well:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-E6A4E4DF-7DE2-4615-ADD3-5F59C13ED53A.pdf

The nearest station "Cordova North" was 24 degrees that morning:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-7D792A73-F5CA-4BE8-A950-E7BE95CD3C53.pdf

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this one. The observer hand-wrote -15F on the form. Did he make it up? Was he drunk? Did the thermo read -15F erroneously for whatever reason? I honestly don't know what to think here. And this begs the question of how accurate the other hand-written observations that we discussed actually are, i.e. the -5F at Attu on 3/21/1985 or the -5F at Dutch Harbor on 4/1/1997. Although I still tend to believe the latter two, since they fall within the realm of possibility. 

Cape Hinchinbrook is near Prince William Sound in south-central AK, at sea level. I'm going to say no way it was -15 there in mid-late March.

Cape Hinchinbrook is near Prince William Sound in south-central AK, at sea level. I'm going to say no way it was -15 there in mid-late March.

I agree. I don't buy that reading either. I will say though, its really unusual seeing a clearly visible (not smudged or corrected), relatively modern (not late 19th century/early 20th century) hand-written observation on a COOP form appear to be so far out of wack. This might be the worst example I've seen yet. I wonder what the story was that day, and what motivated that observer to write down -15. 

For Montana I have the following monthly record lows in my database:

Jan: -70 Rogers Pass on 20/1954

Feb: -66 Riverside RS (near W Yellowstone) on 9/1933 (erroneously placed as WY state record but station was located on MT side of border)

Mar: -45 Fort Logan on 15/1906

Apr: -30 Summit on 2/1935

May: -5 Polebridge on 1/1954

Jun: 11 Kings Hill on 6/1943

Jul: 15 Bowen in 1919 (would like a better source for these readings...may be apocryphal).

Aug: 5 Bowen in 1910

Sept: -9 Riverside RS on 24/1926

Oct: -30 Summit on 31/1935 (major late Oct cold blast in PNW)

Nov: -53 Lincoln in 1919

Dec: -59 Riverside RS in 1924

Also, it should be noted that Gates Park RAWS recorded -33 on 4/2/2002. 

This was an excellent cold spot that unfortunately only had a full-time operating sensor between October 2001 and October 2007, and part time data (mostly during the warm season) since then.

http://www.raws.dri.edu/cgi-bin/rawMAIN.pl?mtMGAT

Other notable readings @ this site:

-41 on 3/8/2002

-50 on 2/24/2003 

-46 on 1/14/2005

-54 on 2/17/2006

• Like 1

This was an excellent cold spot that unfortunately only had a full-time operating sensor between October 2001 and October 2007, and part time data (mostly during the warm season) since then.

-41 on 3/8/2002

-50 on 2/24/2003 

-46 on 1/14/2005

-54 on 2/17/2006

Since we're on April, I wonder what the coldest reliable April temperature is for the Lower 48 (besides Peter Sinks of course)?

Some sites say Eagle Nest (New Mexico), with a reading of -36F.   This is apparently an unreliable reading as the WRCC has the revised reading at no lower than -21F.

Bergland (Michigan) supposedly had a -34F during an April cold snap in 1923.   Breckenridge (Colorado) has a very old April reading of -35F in 1891, but if it is accurate, I assume that it was probably recorded at one of the high mountain mines around Breckenridge, of which many exist.   White Mountain 2 (California), and Fraser (Colorado) both have reliable readings of -30F in April, and of course there is the one for Summit (Montana).

There aren't that many -30F or lower readings in the lower 48 for April. 

Since we're on April, I wonder what the coldest reliable April temperature is for the Lower 48 (besides Peter Sinks of course)?

Some sites say Eagle Nest (New Mexico), with a reading of -36F.   This is apparently an unreliable reading as the WRCC has the revised reading at no lower than -21F.

Bergland (Michigan) supposedly had a -34F during an April cold snap in 1923.   Breckenridge (Colorado) has a very old April reading of -35F in 1891, but if it is accurate, I assume that it was probably recorded at one of the high mountain mines around Breckenridge, of which many exist.   White Mountain 2 (California), and Fraser (Colorado) both have reliable readings of -30F in April, and of course there is the one for Summit (Montana).

I'm inclined to believe the Eagle Nest reading, although I'm not 100% sure of its accuracy with regards to equipment calibration and placement. It appears very clearly in the original COOP form that month, both under April 5th and as the monthly low circled off to the right:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-B5BC03C4-C2FB-4486-9F48-F28FF2388E3D.pdf

Its somewhat corroborated by readings of -29F in Taylor Park, CO and -28F in Moran, WY during that same cold wave. Both are monthly records with the latter reading within 1F of the WY state record for April. But its not very well corroborated by other readings in northern NM. The nearest station to Eagle Nest is Elizabethtown, which recorded -15F that morning (4/5/1945). That station only existed from 1904-1948 and has a very spotty period of record. A cursory comparison of the two stations reveals a 5F gap in the cold wave of January 27-28, 1948. Eagle Nest bottomed out at -43F during that event while Elizabethtown fell to -38F. Both locations are at over 8,000 feet and within 5 miles of each other. So just going by that example one can see how a 21F gap on 4/5/1945 is questionable, though not impossible. Other typical cold spots in northern NM were even warmer that morning. Chama fell to -10F on the 4th but only fell to 8F on the morning of the 5th, when Eagle Nest was supposedly -36F. Gavilan (the state record holder @ -50F on 2/1/1951) only fell to 6F on the 4th and 8F on the 5th. Though it should be noted that both Chama and Gavilan are quite a bit further west from Eagle Nest/Elizabethtown, where the morning of the 5th was apparently much colder judging by readings at both stations. I would say the closest we have to corroborating evidence for the Eagle Nest reading is the Taylor Park reading that morning (-29F), which proves that readings in the -30F range were possible in that general region on 4/5/1945. A high altitude, cold sink environment can produce significantly colder readings than other locations just a few miles away, and that may be what happened on the morning of 4/5/1945 at Eagle Nest.

Regarding Bergland, MI - I've looked at that reading before. I think its legit. That was a historic cold wave for early April. Bergland also hit -29F on 3/27/1913, another historic late season cold wave. Nearby Kenton hit -31F on 3/24/1965, another top tier cold airmass for that time of year. So -34F on 4/1/1923 is not out of the realm of possibility, IMO. 

You can see the -34F on the 1st listed as the monthly low on the right side:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-9664D51D-A456-4607-A516-191E23BF3D48.pdf

Probably the -41 recorded at Peter Sink, Utah on 4/1/2008. The -34 at Bergland is hard to believe due to the fact that the provincial April record lows for Manitoba and Ontario are -35, Minnesota -22 and Wisconsin -17. It's possible this was an ideal situation and the temperature was measured in some sort of frost hollow.

-41 on 3/8/2002

-50 on 2/24/2003 

-46 on 1/14/2005

-54 on 2/17/2006

Gates Park topographically is a great spot for cold air pooling with the downstream outlet being constricted by multiple ridges. Gibson Dam is known as a cold spot as well. The -54 on 2/17/2006 beats anything recorded at famous cold spot Peter Sinks, UT in the 2010-2016 period (coldest -51).

I don't have any issue with RAWS low temps...so IMO Gates Park is the MT April record.

Gates Park topographically is a great spot for cold air pooling with the downstream outlet being constricted by multiple ridges. Gibson Dam is known as a cold spot as well. The -54 on 2/17/2006 beats anything recorded at famous cold spot Peter Sinks, UT in the 2010-2016 period (coldest -51).

I don't have any issue with RAWS low temps...so IMO Gates Park is the MT April record.

I don't either. I would like RAWS readings to be eligible for official record purposes...maybe it will happen someday. 

The -34 at Bergland is hard to believe due to the fact that the provincial April record lows for Manitoba and Ontario are -35, Minnesota -22 and Wisconsin -17. It's possible this was an ideal situation and the temperature was measured in some sort of frost hollow.

Regarding Bergland, MI - I've looked at that reading before. I think its legit. That was a historic cold wave for early April. Bergland also hit -29F on 3/27/1913, another historic late season cold wave. Nearby Kenton hit -31F on 3/24/1965, another top tier cold airmass for that time of year. So -34F on 4/1/1923 is not out of the realm of possibility, IMO

I think it might be legit, even though very impressive for April.  By way of comparison, the record low in Michigan for November is -23F.

The April 1923 cold snap was probably the most severe April cold from Michigan to upstate New York.  

North Lake in upstate New York recorded a -24.   Below zero temperatures were reported at least as far south as West Virginia.   Wisconsin and New York recorded temps in the -20's.  

I'm inclined to believe the Eagle Nest reading, although I'm not 100% sure of its accuracy with regards to equipment calibration and placement. 

WRCC revised the record to -21F for some reason.  I don't know why.

If you are interested, Antero Reservoir in Colorado also recorded a -51F last December:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/12/22/A-cold-day-at-Antero-Reservoir-51-below-in-Colorado/6451450804077/

• Like 1

On the other side of the calendar, the earliest record low I know of in the US outside of Hawaii is Antelope Island, Utah with November 16, 1955, but alas, there is only 20 years of data available so it might not count.

As a follow up, for stations that have many decades of data, a few New Mexico stations have their record lows in November.

Socorro:  -13F on November 29 1976

Ocate: -31F on November 27 1976

The same cold snap produced a 1F in El Paso Texas!  

Now for another trivia question:

Which location in North America has the biggest spread between the record low and record high temperature?  

This area has to be close

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?nd6867

112 and -60 for a 172 degree spread. Of course both of those extremes were in the same year (1936).

Very impressive spread, but there are some places with even a greater spread.

The biggest one I'm aware of is Fort Vermillion, Alberta at 181F. High of 103F and low of -78F.

Iroquois Falls, Ontario at 179F. High of 106F and low of -73F. 

Fort Yukon, AK at 178F. High of 100F and low of -78F. 

Medicine Lake, MT at 176F. High of 117F and low of -59F. 

Is the answer Fort Vermillion?

I think it might be legit, even though very impressive for April.  By way of comparison, the record low in Michigan for November is -23F.

The April 1923 cold snap was probably the most severe April cold from Michigan to upstate New York.  

North Lake in upstate New York recorded a -24.   Below zero temperatures were reported at least as far south as West Virginia.   Wisconsin and New York recorded temps in the -20's.  

That's just the reading on the 4th. They're missing the reading on the 5th, which was when the -36F supposedly occurred. 

As a follow up, for stations that have many decades of data, a few New Mexico stations have their record lows in November.

Socorro:  -13F on November 29 1976

Ocate: -31F on November 27 1976

The same cold snap produced a 1F in El Paso Texas!  

That was a hell of a cold wave in the Rockies. Produced monthly state record lows in WY (-46F at Darwin Ranch), NM (-38F at Eagle Nest), OK (-15F at Kenton), and TX (-10F at Stratford). 

Another good example of a November cold wave producing top-tier cold is 1950 in the SE:

-1F at Nashville, TN

1F at Huntsville, AL

5F at Birmingham, AL

All three readings occurred on 11/25/1950. None of those locations have seen sub-10F cold that early in the season in any other year. 

This is what I have for April record lows across northern tier states (as well as southern Canada)...corrections welcome.

Washington: -7 Lake Keechelus 4/1/1936
Oregon: -23 Meacham 4/1/1936
Idaho: -22 Copper Basin 4/5/1997
Montana: -33 Gates Park 4/2/2002
Wyoming: -29 Lake Yellowstone 4/1/1920
North Dakota: -24 Powers Lake 4/2/1975
South Dakota: -16 Deerfield 4/3/1951
Minnesota: -22 Karlstad 4/6/1979
Wisconsin: -17 Rest Lake 4/1/1923
Michigan: -17 Champion Van Riper Park 4/4/1954 (official), Bergland -34 4/1/1923 (unofficial)
New York: -24 North Lake 4/1/1923
Vermont: -13 Mt Mansfield 4/7/1982
New Hampshire: -20 Mt Washington 4/5/1995
Maine: -14 Clayton Lake 4/2/1964

BC: -31 Smith River 4/1/1954
Alberta: -38 Peace River 4/2/1954
Saskatchewan: -40 Key Lake 4/1/1996
Manitoba: -35 Port Nelson 4/14/1923
Ontario: -35 Hornepayne 4/2/1932
Quebec: -35 Doucet 4/1/1923

Where was the Wisconsin value recorded?

The biggest one I'm aware of is Fort Vermillion, Alberta at 181F. High of 103F and low of -78F.

Iroquois Falls, Ontario at 179F. High of 106F and low of -73F. 

Fort Yukon, AK at 178F. High of 100F and low of -78F. 

Medicine Lake, MT at 176F. High of 117F and low of -59F. 

Is the answer Fort Vermillion?

I was thinking it was a tie between Fort Vermilion and Iroquois Falls, but I was unaware of the 103F in Fort Vermilion (I have only seen records up to 101F).  When was the 103F recorded?

Some other large ranges:

Fort Good Hope:   -79F to 95F

Fort Smith:  -71F to 103

Parshall, ND:  -60F to 112F

Steele, ND:  -46F to 121F (probably the most impressive record high of any location I can think of and it appears legitimate)

Mc Intosh, SD:  -58F to 112F

I live just east of Maybell Colorado.   The range isn't quite as large here, but is still fairly impressive with -61F to 102F.  

Many places in Alaska have huge ranges.   Just a few are below.

Allakaket:  -75F to 94F

Aniak:  -72F to 87F

Bettles:  -70F to 93F

Chandlar Lake:  -74F to 90F

Chicken:  -72F to 91F

Circle:  -67F to 94F

Coldfoot:  -74F to 88F (impressive since the weather station was only operable for 7 years)

College:  -66F to 94F

Eagle:  -71F to 95F

Fairbanks:  -66F to 99F (if the 99F is accurate?)

Galena:  -70F to 92F

Hughes:  -68F to 90F

Kobuk:  -68F to 92F

Minchumina:  -66F to 92F

North Pole:  -67F to 95F

Northway:  -72F to 91F

Prospect Creek:  -80F to 87F (impressive since only 9 years of data is available)

Tanana:  -76F to 94F

Tok:  -71F to 96F

Outside of the Western US and Northern Plains, I always thought Warsaw Missouri, with -40F to 118F has a pretty impressive spread.

This is what I have for April record lows across northern tier states (as well as southern Canada)...corrections welcome.

Washington: -7 Lake Keechelus 4/1/1936

Oregon: -23 Meacham 4/1/1936

Idaho: -22 Copper Basin 4/5/1997

Montana: -33 Gates Park 4/2/2002

Wyoming: -29 Lake Yellowstone 4/1/1920

North Dakota: -24 Powers Lake 4/2/1975

South Dakota: -16 Deerfield 4/3/1951

Minnesota: -22 Karlstad 4/6/1979

Wisconsin: -17 Rest Lake 4/1/1923

Michigan: -17 Champion Van Riper Park 4/4/1954 (official), Bergland -34 4/1/1923 (unofficial)

New York: -24 North Lake 4/1/1923

Vermont: -13 Mt Mansfield 4/7/1982

New Hampshire: -20 Mt Washington 4/5/1995

Maine: -14 Clayton Lake 4/2/1964

BC: -31 Smith River 4/1/1954

Alberta: -38 Peace River 4/2/1954

Saskatchewan: -40 Key Lake 4/1/1996

Manitoba: -35 Port Nelson 4/14/1923

Ontario: -35 Hornepayne 4/2/1932

Quebec: -35 Doucet 4/1/1923

Other states in the lower 48:

Colorado:  -35F at Breckenridge 1891 (other places in Colorado have recorded -30F) 

California:  -30F at White Mountain 2 1970 (though this one might be questionable?)

The Weather Almanac says -17F for Deerfield, SD

Tower, MN also recorded a -22F in 1982

That was a hell of a cold wave in the Rockies. Produced monthly state record lows in WY (-46F at Darwin Ranch), NM (-38F at Eagle Nest), OK (-15F at Kenton), and TX (-10F at Stratford). 

Another good example of a November cold wave producing top-tier cold is 1950 in the SE:

-1F at Nashville, TN

1F at Huntsville, AL

5F at Birmingham, AL

All three readings occurred on 11/25/1950. None of those locations have seen sub-10F cold that early in the season in any other year. 

Another impressive one was mid November 1955 for the Pacific Northwest and the west side of the Rockies.  Even Salt Lake City dropped down to -14F.   Seattle dropped to 6F and Olympia -1F.  No other November cold snap even comes close.   It was especially impressive since it happened on November 15-16 rather than late in the month.  

That's just the reading on the 4th. They're missing the reading on the 5th, which was when the -36F supposedly occurred. 

Yes.   The -36F record from the 5th used to be in there, but it was purged in recent years.  I just assumed that there was something wrong with the reading, but I don't know the reason that it was purged.   Maybe is was just purged by mistake?  

Also, some sources purge all the really low April readings in 1945 and list -12F in 1973 as the record low for April.  

If it is real, then it would be a very impressive reading since if you eliminate the 1945 readings, the next coldest reading is -12F and there are 85 years of records available.  

Also, as you mention, the Elisabethtown station was operating in that same time period and is only five miles away.   Normally they have similar temperatures, but during that cold snap Elisabethtown was -15F.   It seems strange that Eagle Nest would be 21F colder for just that cold snap, when they usually have similar temperatures.  

I suspect that there may have been something wrong with the Eagle Nest readings in April 1945.  If it is legitimate though, it is an incredibly impressive reading.