Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Unusual weather trivia that is hard to google

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

wx_statman

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Horse Ridge RAWS hit -40 in the Dec 2013 outbreak...first -40 reading in Oregon post-2000 to my knowledge. I've seen the station itself on Google Street View and the siting appears good.

Wasn't it -41F? For some reason Horse Ridge doesn't show up on the list of RAWS stations at the WRCC, so I can't double check.

But either way, I was only talking about official readings. 

wx_statman

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:29 PM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Indeed I didn't make an exhaustive search, mostly limiting myself to the records shown in the "normals" data tables for each province...which as you mention only go through 2010. Sites like Snag that don't have a normals table I tended to gloss over unless they were an extreme cold spot for the province.

Hall Beach, NU is certainly an error...not sure how it crept in. June record min is -5 F (-20.6c) on 6/1/1972.

For May a low of -24 F (-31.1c) at Hall Beach on 5/6/1970.

There's not a lot of data for Nunavut stations in May 1935...but Coppermine fell to -28.9c on May 13th (same morning Cambridge Bay was allegedly -35.0 c). Cambridge Bay is slightly farther north and quite a bit farther east (433 km distance from Coppermine/Kugluktuk). Given that all other stations with data are much more distant...I would rate the reading "plausible" but not necessarily accurate. The stations over toward Baffin Island were mostly in the minus teens Celsius that morning.

The May record at Coppermine is -30.2c on 5/3/1983. There was also a -29.0c at Taloyoak on 5/5/1993. Resolute hit -29.4c on 5/4/1961.

Environment Canada ranked Isachsen, Nunavut the overall least hospitable location in Canada with a meteorological station. Of course the absolute least hospitable location is likely the upper elevations of the Mt Logan/Mt St Elias massif in Yukon/Alaska.

Interesting info about May 1935. Maybe the Cambridge Bay reading is legit after all. It just doesn't seem realistic.

I saw a few May records right around -31C when I was poking around. I think at three stations? The Hall Beach one that you listed from 1970 was one of them. Also a few records right around -20C for June but none lower. At least from what I saw. 

• IbrChris likes this

wx_statman

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:13 PM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

British Columbia - 1 day: 57.0" at Tahtsa Lake West 2/11/1999

That was a tremendous onshore-flow snowfall pattern for BC, fed by the record breaking cold airmass ongoing in AK at the time. The Simon Fraser University campus in Burnaby @ 1,200' also set its February single-day snowfall record in that pattern with 49cm (19.3") on 2/9/1999, on the same day Bettles AK was -64F to set a late season record. The cold air was dropping straight south out of Alaska and over the NPac, and was still cold enough for snow even after an entirely over-water trajectory before reaching the PNW. Even down here in Portland we had snow showers on a gusty south wind. 

• IbrChris likes this

wx_statman

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Nova Scotia - 1 day: 27.6" at Wreck Cove Brook 1/21/1998 
Prince Edward Island - 1 day: 29.1" at Charlottetown 2/19/2004; 

Yarmouth, NS had 28.0" on 2/19/2004, during "White Juan" 

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/White_Juan

The wikipedia article mentions 37.6" @ CFB Shearwater. The daily data @ Environment Canada shows 88.3 cm (34.8") at "Shearwater A" station on 2/19/2004. This may very well be the official record for NS.

• IbrChris likes this

wx_statman

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

The record for Alberta should be 44.0" at the Livingstone Fire Lookout Station on June 29 1963.   At the time it was a record for all of Canada (though you pointing out a 48.0" at Cap Madeleine 3/20/1885 seems to dispute this). It is a well known event (especially since it was almost July!), even if it isn't on the Environment Canada website (I believe it is still an official record though).

Some sources on the June 29 1963 event:

https://www.google.c...iw=1440&bih=809

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(Which reminds me of another good weather trivia question:

Which city in the lower 48 has had its snowiest month of the year in August?)

1963 was a cold summer here in the PNW, with possible influences of the VEI-5 eruption of Mount Agung in Bali on March 17th that year. 

That's an amazing snowfall record. 44" on June 29th! 

• IbrChris likes this

wx_statman

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:34 PM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

One of the greatest sea-level monthly snowfalls on record in Canada is probably the 289.6 cm (114") recorded at Swanson Bay, BC in January 1909. 201" for the 1909 calendar year.

Not to be outdone Jan 1911 had 331 cm of snow at the same location (130").

Swanson Bay also saw a 3 day total of 533.4 mm (21") of precipitation from Nov 17-19, 1917. It rained every day that month for a total of 88.01", the Canadian monthly precip record.

Those are some amazing numbers. 

Both January 1909 and 1911 had incredible cold waves in lower BC with tremendous Fraser outflow. Sub-zero highs in both months in the Fraser Valley. 

• IbrChris likes this

IbrChris

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:53 PM

IbrChris

Moderating Meteorologist

• Meteorologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts
  • LocationTigard, OR and Portland, OR (work)
Unfortunately the Swanson Bay station closed in 1942 and the post office closed in 1943. The townsite is now a ghost town along the central BC coast south of Prince Rupert, accessible only by boat. A remote weather station at the location would be very interesting. During the 1907-1942 period the station was in operation it never superseded Henderson Lake for record annual precip, but it does lay claim to several BC monthly precip records.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Scott

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

Scott

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationNear Craig Colorado

Another trivia question:

What is the largest city in the world in which permanent snow and/or glaciers are visible from the city?

wx_statman

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:42 PM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Another trivia question:

What is the largest city in the world in which permanent snow and/or glaciers are visible from the city?

Tokyo?

Brennan

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:09 AM

Brennan

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationBellingham, Wa

What town in the U.S. has the highest annual precip average to have surpassed that average before in a single day?

Kihei, Maui

Scott

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:05 AM

Scott

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Tokyo?

No, but good guess.   Mt Fuji actually doesn't have any permanent snow or glaciers (despite some dubious claims to the contrary).    The snow-cap actually melts completely in most years.  

985549.jpg

Hint:   The answer is not a city in Asia.

BLI snowman

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:09 AM

BLI snowman

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5108 posts
  • LocationRidgefield, WA

Kihei, Maui

Only average 12.8" there annually. 

Front Ranger

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:09 AM

Front Ranger

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9258 posts
  • LocationWestminster, CO

Another trivia question:

Santiago, Chile?

Cool anomalies soothe the soul.

wx_statman

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

No, but good guess.   Mt Fuji actually doesn't have any permanent snow or glaciers (despite some dubious claims to the contrary).    The snow-cap actually melts completely in most years.  

985549.jpg

Hint:   The answer is not a city in Asia.

Interesting. I would have guessed that Fuji had a permanent snowcap, but I guess not. 

The answer has to be Mexico City (view of Popocatepetl) with Tehran (view of Damavand) a close second.

Unless I'm missing something!

Scott

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

Scott

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
The answer has to be Mexico City (view of Popocatepetl) 

Yes; it is Mexico City.   Due to recent eruptions, much of the snow has melted off Popocatepetl (or has been covered in ash), but you can still always see snow on Iztaccihualtl.   When the views aren't obscured by pollution (which is very often), it is quite pretty:

G3N7Oc3.jpg

I would have guessed that Fuji had a permanent snowcap, but I guess not. 

Most photographs just happen to show the mountain with snow on it, since it is more scenic that way!  The mountain is much less aesthetic after the snow melts off. 

Interestingly, it is not Japanese websites that sometimes claim that Mt Fuji has glaciers (since almost everyone in Japan knows that), but US websites that claim that Hood is the second most climbed glaciated mountain in the world, after Mt Fuji (which is of course a false claim).

Anyway, in order, I believe that the largest cities from where permanent snow and/or glaciers can be seen are as follows:

1.  Mexico City

2.  Tehran

3.   Bogota

4.  Santiago

For people that don't travel much or know geography, it might be surprising to some that Mexico, Iran, and Colombia have the largest three cities from which you can see permanent snow and glaciers, since those might not be the places that come to mind when thinking of snow and glaciers.   

I don't think that you can see snow/glaciers from Lahore, but if you can it would be next.   I believe that after that it would probably be Seattle or La Paz, though it would depend if you count city or metro populations.  

• wx_statman likes this

Front Ranger

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:30 PM

Front Ranger

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9258 posts
  • LocationWestminster, CO

Yes; it is Mexico City.   Due to recent eruptions, much of the snow has melted off Popocatepetl (or has been covered in ash), but you can still always see snow on Iztaccihualtl.   When the views aren't obscured by pollution (which is very often), it is quite pretty:

G3N7Oc3.jpg

Most photographs just happen to show the mountain with snow on it, since it is more scenic that way!  The mountain is much less aesthetic after the snow melts off. 

Interestingly, it is not Japanese websites that sometimes claim that Mt Fuji has glaciers (since almost everyone in Japan knows that), but US websites that claim that Hood is the second most climbed glaciated mountain in the world, after Mt Fuji (which is of course a false claim).

Anyway, in order, I believe that the largest cities from where permanent snow and/or glaciers can be seen are as follows:

1.  Mexico City

2.  Tehran

3.   Bogota

4.  Santiago

For people that don't travel much or know geography, it might be surprising to some that Mexico, Iran, and Colombia have the largest three cities from which you can see permanent snow and glaciers, since those might not be the places that come to mind when thinking of snow and glaciers.   

I don't think that you can see snow/glaciers from Lahore, but if you can it would be next.   I believe that after that it would probably be Seattle or La Paz, though it would depend if you count city or metro populations.  

I would think Vienna would be ahead. But like you said, depends on metro or actual city populations.

• Scott likes this

Cool anomalies soothe the soul.

Brennan

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:20 PM

Brennan

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationBellingham, Wa

Only average 12.8" there annually.

I thought the question was which US city has equaled or exceeded their entire annual rainfall in 1 day. I also didn't realize Kihei's annual rainfall was 12 inches. Thought it was lower

Scott

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:16 AM

Scott

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

I thought the question was which US city has equaled or exceeded their entire annual rainfall in 1 day. I also didn't realize Kihei's annual rainfall was 12 inches. Thought it was lower

A few scattered US places have exceeded there average annual rainfall in a day.   The question was which one of the ones to do this has the highest annual precipitation.   You pointing out Kihei is very interesting though.  

I would think Vienna would be ahead. But like you said, depends on metro or actual city populations.

Good point on Vienna.   The #5 spot can have more than one answer for sure.  

wx_statman

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Here's another interesting tidbit - you can see the snow/glacial ice on Pico Cristobal Colon from the coast in northern Colombia, at around 11N latitude. This is the only place on either the Caribbean Sea or Gulf of Mexico coastline from which you can see snow year-round. 

https://en.wikipedia...Cristóbal_Colón

• IbrChris and Scott like this

IbrChris

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:34 PM

IbrChris

Moderating Meteorologist

• Meteorologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

I did a little ad-hoc analysis of the Idaho record high at Orofino in July 1934. Feel free to check out my post and leave a comment. I admit my conclusion surprised even me, given my initial skepticism of the reading.

Scott

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:48 AM

Scott

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Without cheating, match the record highs in each month to the month they belong to.  This is for the LAX station:

January

February

March 

April
May 

June
July 

August

October

November 

December

Which monthly record high temperature goes to which month?

Since this question hasn't been answered yet, here are the correct answers:

January = 91

February = 92

March = 95

April = 102
May = 97

June = 104
July = 97

August = 98

September = 110

October = 106

November = 101

December = 94

It is interesting that July and August have never reached 100F at the Los Angeles Airport, while April, June, September, October, and November have.

wx_statman

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Since this question hasn't been answered yet, here are the correct answers:

January = 91

February = 92

March = 95

April = 102
May = 97

June = 104
July = 97

August = 98

September = 110

October = 106

November = 101

December = 94

It is interesting that July and August have never reached 100F at the Los Angeles Airport, while April, June, September, October, and November have.

Shows you the dominance of the four corners high and its unwillingness to be displaced during those months. Its mean position, of course, doesn't allow for the best gradients to set up over Southern California for producing offshore flow.  

• Scott likes this

Scott

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:50 PM

Scott

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

I did find one more location that gives Ibapah a run for the money, but the period of record is shorter:

984436.JPG

Another one which seems to beat the others for any station that has at least 30 years of data:

985847.JPG

wx_statman

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:33 PM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Here are some places I know of in the lower 48 that do have their record lows in March, or did until not that long ago:

Iowa (several locations) due to the March 1962 cold snap.  Southeast USA (March 1980 cold snap, though most of these were eclipsed in 1985)

Those were in early March though.   

Another good example was the -18 in Williamsport PA on 2/28/1934. This was the lesser known "second shot" that month, after the great cold wave centered on the 9th-10th. For Williamsport, this reading stood as the all-time record low until 1/21/1994, when they dropped to -20. 

Scott

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

Scott

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Another good example was the -18 in Williamsport PA on 2/28/1934. This was the lesser known "second shot" that month, after the great cold wave centered on the 9th-10th. For Williamsport, this reading stood as the all-time record low until 1/21/1994, when they dropped to -20. 

Nice.  In my opinion, the most impressive one might be Hampton Iowa with a -35F on March 1 1962.   Records for Hampton go back to 1893 and no other reading in any months have matched this.  Many other readings in Iowa on that day were nearly as impressive (such as the -34 at Waterloo).  

986017.JPG

In Iowa, Hampton (records back to 1893), Waterloo (records back to 1950), Delaware (records back to 1893), Dubuque Lock and Dam (records back to 1948), Independence (records back to 1948; the March 1 1962 reading was also the only -30F ever recorded there), Iowa Falls (records back to 1948), Vinton (records back to 1948), and Winterset all have their record lows on March 1 1962.

In Minnesota, Minneapolis hit -34 and International Falls -38 on the same day.   

In the west, in my opinion, by far the most impressive March cold snap was on March 17 1906 in Western Wyoming.  Unfortunately, there weren't that many weather stations in the region during that time period, but the ones that did exist recorded some incredible readings.  Jackson, which usually is not as cold as some of the other surrounding places hit -49, the 3rd coldest reading ever recorded there (after -52 on December 20 1924 and -50 on January 1 1979), and Snake River hit -50, the second coldest reading ever recorded there (after -56 on February 6 1914).  No March temperatures have even come remotely close to this in either location and the readings are even more remarkable considering that they were recorded on the 17th, rather than early in the month.

• wx_statman likes this

IbrChris

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

IbrChris

Moderating Meteorologist

• Meteorologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Nice. In my opinion, the most impressive one might be Hampton Iowa with a -35F on March 1 1962. Records for Hampton go back to 1893 and no other reading in any months have matched this. Many other readings in Iowa on that day were nearly as impressive (such as the -34 at Waterloo).

986017.JPG

In Iowa, Hampton (records back to 1893), Waterloo (records back to 1950), Delaware (records back to 1893), Dubuque Lock and Dam (records back to 1948), Independence (records back to 1948; the March 1 1962 reading was also the only -30F ever recorded there), Iowa Falls (records back to 1948), Vinton (records back to 1948), and Winterset all have their record lows on March 1 1962.

In Minnesota, Minneapolis hit -34 and International Falls -38 on the same day.

In the west, in my opinion, by far the most impressive March cold snap was on March 17 1906 in Western Wyoming. Unfortunately, there weren't that many weather stations in the region during that time period, but the ones that did exist recorded some incredible readings. Jackson, which usually is not as cold as some of the other surrounding places hit -49, the 3rd coldest reading ever recorded there (after -52 on December 20 1924 and -50 on January 1 1979), and Snake River hit -50, the second coldest reading ever recorded there (after -56 on February 6 1914). No March temperatures have even come remotely close to this in either location and the readings are even more remarkable considering that they were recorded on the 17th, rather than early in the month.

The March 1906 event was pretty amazing even in Idaho and Oregon. Believe Oregon managed -20s in that event. Idaho Falls hit -26 back in the COOP days prior to the airport readings which begin in 1948. Since then the March record has been around -15 and much earlier in the month. It's a shame very little data exists for March 1867 in the Pacific NW but what does exist points to a month that was colder than all but our top 10 or so DJF months.
  • Scott likes this

Scott

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:23 PM

Scott

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
The March 1906 event was pretty amazing even in Idaho and Oregon. Believe Oregon managed -20s in that event. Idaho Falls hit -26 back in the COOP days prior to the airport readings which begin in 1948. 

Yes, it also hit Idaho and Oregon.   American Falls Idaho hit -16, which is very cold for that location for mid-March.  

Western Wyoming seems to have produced the most remarkable readings from the cold snap, with temperatures very close to the all time record lows for any time of year.   Other than Jackson and Snake River, Yellowstone was down in the -40's as well.

Western Montana had some very cold temperatures as well with Fort Logan dropping down to -45. on 3/15/1906.   Only a few February readings in the 1800's are colder.

The coldest air seems to have stalled in the area of Southern Idaho and southwest Wyoming.   South of that region, it didn't get nearly as cold.   Vernal Utah hit 4 and Salt Lake City hit 17, which although slightly chilly, were rather unremarkable readings compared to the ones recorded just to the north.

wx_statman

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:01 PM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

The March 1906 event was pretty amazing even in Idaho and Oregon. Believe Oregon managed -20s in that event. Idaho Falls hit -26 back in the COOP days prior to the airport readings which begin in 1948. Since then the March record has been around -15 and much earlier in the month. It's a shame very little data exists for March 1867 in the Pacific NW but what does exist points to a month that was colder than all but our top 10 or so DJF months.

Granite 4WSW hit -23 on 3/16/1906. Yonna, to the east of Klamath Falls, recorded -26 on the same date but their readings ran suspiciously cold between the start of observations in 1905 and the early 1920's. They clearly moved their sensor sometime in the early 1920's because their readings for the rest of the POR (which ended in 1949) didn't stand out at all among the eastern OR cold spots. This includes the record cold waves of Dec 1924, Jan 1930, Feb 1933, and Jan 1937. I'm guessing their sensor wasn't at standard height during the early part of the century. 

http://www1.ncdc.noa...31BECB294BA.pdf

March 1867 was amazing. Fort Vancouver had six consecutive sub-freezing afternoons (as measured by 2pm observations) from March 12-17. There hasn't been anything remotely close to that sort of long lasting, intense cold wave so late in the spring since. Fort Colville had a 7am observation of -20 on the 12th and averaged 9.2F among all 31 observations @ 7am that month. The actual average minimum temperature that month was obviously even lower, since many of the 7am observations didn't capture the lowest temperature of the night. For comparison, the lowest average minimum during March in the modern era in Colville was 18.7F in 1965, and the lowest minimum was -14 in March 1919. The Signal Service station in Helena, MT averaged -0.4F for the 31 observations taken @ 7am that month, compared to a lowest average minimum of 9.0F in March 1943 at the Helena WSO station (1938-present). A 7am reading of -28 was observed on the 12th, which is second only to the ridiculous -30 on 3/25/1955 for any station in Helena in the month of March. Once again though, there's a pretty good chance the actual minimum on 3/12/1867 was in the -30's, but was not captured due to the practice of only taking three daily observations during that era. 

• Scott likes this

wx_statman

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 AM

wx_statman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

They are in the same region as St Paul Island.  Supposedly Shemya Air Force Base had a record low of 2F on April 2 1988.   To me, the Shemya reading seems very suspect, but St Paul Island did record a -3F a few days later, so it might be legit. (Cold snaps seem to take a few extra days to reach St Paul Island, though I can't figure out why this is-seems backwards). 

The next island to the east of Shemya, Attu, supposedly had a record low of -5F on March 21 1985.   St Paul Island recorded a -2F a few days later, so this seems to be legit(?).      For Attu, WRCC does show one reading of -15F on November 27 1986, but this does not seem legit.  All the other stations in the area were 30-40 degrees warmer, which on a small oceanic island doesn't make sense.   St Paul Island was 24F that day, but dropped to 15F a few days later.   Maybe an erroneous minus sign got placed in from of the 15 for Attu?   Shemya, on the island next to Attu only got down to 27F.

(PS, if you are interested, St Paul Island did record a -26F in January 1919, supposedly at the same location, but the current NOAA site only list records back to 1948).  

For that whole region around the southern Bering Sea, April isn't much warmer than the winter months:

http://www.wrcc.dri....iMAIN.pl?ak8419

Farther north, Cape Romanzof, on the mainland coast of the Bering Sea has a record low on March 15 1966.  This one is not suspect.   If the Shemya and Attu readings aren't correct, this may be the latest record low outside Hawaii?

A lot of stations on the Bering Sea have their record lows in March and March is colder than January up in the northern latitudes of the Bering Sea. 

Scott, you might appreciate this. I found the monthly records for Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland. All-time record low in April at this station (-16.9 C/ 2 F on 4/1/1968). Same dynamics as the Aleutians here, with the coldest minimums dependent on sea ice.

http://meteo-climat-...ge=stati&id=430

Attached Files