Unusual weather trivia that is hard to google

Scott

Regarding the March record low for S. Dakota -

The record is given as -35 by Infoplease, set at Antelope Ranger Station in 1996:

https://www.infoplease.com/science-health/weather/south-dakota-temperature-extremes

However, just two years later, in mid-March 1998, a historic late season cold wave affected the Great Plains. As it turns out, a number of stations in S. Dakota actually fell below -35 during this cold wave, including:

-40 at Usta

-38 at Camp Crook

-37 at Zeona

-36 at Rochford

-36 at Red Owl

This cold wave also dropped Hettinger Airport, ND to -38 and Valentine, NE to -27 (tying the -27 from 3/11/1948 for late-season benchmark status). 

A little bit of detective work reveals what happened. None of the above readings in S. Dakota made it to the state monthly climo report for March 1998. The lowest listed value for SD that month was -34 at Ralph on March 11th. In other words, no state record. When the NWS initially compiled the monthly state temperature records in the late 1990's (that Infoplease then copied), they simply aggregated all the readings from the state monthly climo reports and listed the highest and lowest values. Any values that were reported late by the COOP observers, missing the deadline to make it into the monthly report, never made it into the NWS/Infoplease tables. This is the same reason why S. Dakota's April record of -22 at Deerfield in 1975 didn't make it into the tables (note that the record given is -17 at Deerfield in 1957) - the reading never made it to the monthly climo report for April 1975 because the COOP observer didn't bother reporting it on time. 

So long story short, South Dakota actually hit -40 in mid-March 1998. I remember tracking that cold wave as it was happening and being amazed by the numbers it was putting up. This newly-found record is sort of a cherry on top! 

• Like 1

Regarding the March record low for S. Dakota -

The record is given as -35 by Infoplease, set at Antelope Ranger Station in 1996:

https://www.infoplease.com/science-health/weather/south-dakota-temperature-extremes

However, just two years later, in mid-March 1998, a historic late season cold wave affected the Great Plains. As it turns out, a number of stations in S. Dakota actually fell below -35 during this cold wave, including:

-40 at Usta

-38 at Camp Crook

-37 at Zeona

-36 at Rochford

-36 at Red Owl

This cold wave also dropped Hettinger Airport, ND to -38 and Valentine, NE to -27 (tying the -27 from 3/11/1948 for late-season benchmark status). 

A little bit of detective work reveals what happened. None of the above readings in S. Dakota made it to the state monthly climo report for March 1998. The lowest listed value for SD that month was -34 at Ralph on March 11th. In other words, no state record. When the NWS initially compiled the monthly state temperature records in the late 1990's (that Infoplease then copied), they simply aggregated all the readings from the state monthly climo reports and listed the highest and lowest values. Any values that were reported late by the COOP observers, missing the deadline to make it into the monthly report, never made it into the NWS/Infoplease tables. This is the same reason why S. Dakota's April record of -22 at Deerfield in 1975 didn't make it into the tables (note that the record given is -17 at Deerfield in 1957) - the reading never made it to the monthly climo report for April 1975 because the COOP observer didn't bother reporting it on time. 

So long story short, South Dakota actually hit -40 in mid-March 1998. I remember tracking that cold wave as it was happening and being amazed by the numbers it was putting up. This newly-found record is sort of a cherry on top! 

For those interested, the March 1996 value in S. Dakota was also exceeded at several locations in March 2014. There was another historic cold wave on the Plains in the early part of that month, which included the March record low at Billings, MT (-21 on 3/2/2014, breaking -19 from 1951). In South Dakota, readings included:

-37 at Camp Crook (coming within 1F of the 1998 record)

-37 at Buffalo 13ESE

-36 at Ladner 9SW

• Like 1

I believe there is a -60 reading at Rochford on Dec. 22, 1989 that probably suffered the same fate.  You can find it in the Daily Summary Stats at the WRCC but not in the main table where it lists the monthly temperature extremes.  The official December record low for SD is -47 also set at Rochford in 1990 and a recently discovered -47 set at Porcupine in 1983.  The Dec. 1989 cold wave definitely recorded colder temperatures than the Dec. 1990 one across the Great Plains.  So, therhetically a temperature colder than -47 at Rochford in Dec. 22, 1989 is certainly possible.  Do any of you think that the -60 Rochford on 12/22/1989 is legit??  

If so, this is an amazing discovery!  If legit, it is the not only the lowest Dec. temperature for South Dakota, but also coldest ever recorded in the state!  In addition, it would de-throne the -59 set at West Yellowstone in December 1924.  Any thoughts or opinion will be greatly appreciated!!

• Like 1

The Dec. 1989 cold wave definitely recorded colder temperatures than the Dec. 1990 one across the Great Plains.

Rochford is in the Black Hills rather than the Great Plains and the coldest temperatures from December 1989 and 1990 in the Black Hills were comparable.   In that particular area, 1990 actually had colder temperatures in most, but not all of the locations.

Do any of you think that the -60 Rochford on 12/22/1989 is legit??  

Here are the coldest temperatures at the other weather stations in the immediate vicinity during December 1989 and December 1990.

rochford.JPG

While Rochford is indeed colder than the other surrounding locations, the -60 does seem a bit out of place when compared to that of the surrounding weather stations, especially when comparing the 1989 and 1990 values.   The -60 does seem unlikely, but perhaps not impossible.  

I remember reading about the -60 reading in Rochford from Dec. 1989. It was mentioned in the "this day in weather history" series that used to exist on the internet back in the late 1990's/2000's. I remember thinking that the reading must be unofficial, but I never actually looked into it. 

Sure enough, it exists as a daily record low in the summary stats for Rochford. It also shows up in their NCDC monthly form for December 1989 (attached). I also have to say that it doesn't look credible. Possibly an instrument error? Maybe something similar to what happened at Allagash, Maine in January 1999. There was a widely-reported -55 observation that the NWS had dubbed a new provisional state record low for ME, and was also reported by the press. However, the NWS sent out someone to verify the equipment (before the state record could be certified) and found out that the instrument had read about 13F too low that morning, and the real minimum should have been around -42. They even issued a public information statement officially correcting their earlier statement that a new state record low had been provisionally set. I remember being very disappointed as a weather junkie.  :lol:

Incidentally, Allagash did hit -47 during the January 2009 cold wave, and Maine did set a new state record low of -50, at Big Black River, during that same cold wave. I just had to wait 10 more years!

Rochford.jpg

I am surprised no place in the Black Hills has ever reached 50 below zero.  

Deerfield 4NW is a colder location than Deerfield 3SE, but the weather station only lasted 1948-1980 and even then only recorded temperatures 66% of the time.   Had the weather station been recording in 1989 or 1990, there is a very good chance that it would have reached -50.

Deerfield 4NW is a colder location than Deerfield 3SE, but the weather station only lasted 1948-1980 and even then only recorded temperatures 66% of the time.   Had the weather station been recording in 1989 or 1990, there is a very good chance that it would have reached -50.

Deerfield 4NW was a perfectly positioned station to capture really cold minimums, being located in a high valley at 6,200' in the Black Hills. They had outstanding readings, especially off-season:

-34 on 3/25/1965

-22 on 4/2/1975

-13 on 4/20/1966

14 on 6/14/1969

23 on 7/4/1972 (incidentally, also lower than the listed monthly record for SD - 24 at Hardy RS in 1950)

-5 on 10/13/1969 

They also recorded a 12" snowfall on June 18-19, 1973, and 4" on September 1, 1974. 

The newer Deerfield 3SE station still managed readings like -16 on 4/8/1997 and the -45 on 12/22/1990.

Finally, Deerfield Dam (1909-1955) had really impressive capabilities as well:

-24 on 3/25/1955

-7 on 4/30/1950 (the aformentioned Hardy RS hit -3 on this day - a day later, and these readings would have broken the -1 state record for May)

14 on 6/3/1951 (a tie for the SD monthly record, with Deerfield 4NW in 1969)

Speaking of Hardy Ranger Station, that was another impressive station in that same area of S. Dakota. Too bad it only recorded temperatures for a few short years in the late 1940's/early 1950's (and precip from 1909-1951). In addition to the readings of 14 in June 1951 and 24 in July 1950, that station also hit 9 degrees on 9/13/1949 in what was very likely the earliest 0's in SD state history, and picked up 3" of snow during the August 1910 cold wave (SD state record snowfall for August).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm killing some free time in the middle of the afternoon, so I figured what better way than to look up some weather stats?? I decided to take a look at Nevada monthly state records:

https://www.infoplease.com/science-health/weather/nevada-temperature-extremes

Looking at March, the listed monthly record through 2000 (or whatever year these records were last updated) was 98 degrees at Overton in 1940. In March 2004, this record was tied/exceeded with readings of:

99 at Overton

99 at Mesquite

99 at Calville Bay

98 at Laughlin

This was during the historic SW heat wave centered on the 21st-22nd that month.

Three years later, in 2007, an even more impressive heat wave affected the SW US even earlier in March, centered on the 18th-20th. Readings during this event included:

100 at Bunkerville

100 at Laughlin

98 at Calville Bay

For cold records - and I believe I already made a post about these in this very thread, probably a few months ago - the Nevada state record low for November was broken at a number of locations in 2010. The listed record was -23 at Wells in November 1896. In the November 2010 cold wave, readings included:

-32 at Charleston

-31 at Wildhorse Reservoir

-24 at Ryndon

• Like 1

Also, Mountain City, NV hit -46 in the December 1990 cold wave, and Spring Valley State Park hit -45. The listed record for December is -45 at San Jacinto in 1924. I'm willing to bet the Mountain City reading didn't make it into the monthly climo report for Dec 1990, hence its omission from the tables. 

• Like 1

Utah also had several March readings in the 90's in 2004 and 2007. The record is still listed as 89.

January 2003 also broke the Utah record by a long shot.

Maybe check the Nevada climate report for that month as well as there is a good chance the Nevada record was also broken. It had to be close. (I'm on a phone right now is internet is slow; otherwise I'd check it).

Utah also had several March readings in the 90's in 2004 and 2007. The record is still listed as 89.

January 2003 also broke the Utah record by a long shot.

Maybe check the Nevada climate report for that month as well as there is a good chance the Nevada record was also broken. It had to be close. (I'm on a phone right now is internet is slow; otherwise I'd check it).

Surprisingly, no record was set in Nevada in January 2003. That is one of the months I checked before making my post. The highest reading was 82 at Calville Bay, and that was on the 8th. The highest reading from the late-month heat wave was 81 on the 31st at Amargosa Farms. Compare to the listed state record of 84 in 1931...that year had a torchy, El Nino January similar to 2003, and downtown Portland hit its monthly record high of 65. Calville Bay also hit 80 in January 2009. Some close calls, but no cigar. 

Surprisingly, no record was set in Nevada in January 2003. That is one of the months I checked before making my post. The highest reading was 82 at Calville Bay, and that was on the 8th. The highest reading from the late-month heat wave was 81 on the 31st at Amargosa Farms. Compare to the listed state record of 84 in 1931...that year had a torchy, El Nino January similar to 2003, and downtown Portland hit its monthly record high of 65. Calville Bay also hit 80 in January 2009. Some close calls, but no cigar. 

Actually, it just occurred to me to check February 1, 2003 given the propensity of COOP stations to report their maximums on the following day. Mesquite looks like it hit 84 on 1/31/2003, thereby tying the state monthly record of 84 at Logandale on 1/28/1931 (Las Vegas was 79 on this day). The Mesquite COOP records show 84 on 2/1, and 85 on 2/2. Considering that Las Vegas - McCarran was 75 on 1/31, followed by 81 on 2/1 - and only 64 on 2/2 - tells me the Mesquite readings must have really been on 1/31 and 2/1. Incidentally for Las Vegas, the 81 degree reading on 2/1/2003 was their earliest 80 on record, and the only such reading on the books between Nov. 24th and Feb. 16th. 

• Like 1

Actually, it just occurred to me to check February 1, 2003 given the propensity of COOP stations to report their maximums on the following day. Mesquite looks like it hit 84 on 1/31/2003, thereby tying the state monthly record of 84 at Logandale on 1/28/1931 (Las Vegas was 79 on this day). 

That makes sense since Lytle Ranch Utah was 80 on the 31st.   Also the 85 on 2/2 (or 2/1?) was the highest temperature in Mesquite in February (impressive for so early in the month).

Incidentally for Las Vegas, the 81 degree reading on 2/1/2003 was their earliest 80 on record, and the only such reading on the books between Nov. 24th and Feb. 16th. 

The 91 on 12/9/1910 is the "official" highest December temperature in Nevada, but as you know, it's bogus.  

That makes sense since Lytle Ranch Utah was 80 on the 31st.   Also the 85 on 2/2 (or 2/1?) was the highest temperature in Mesquite in February (impressive for so early in the month).

The 91 on 12/9/1910 is the "official" highest December temperature in Nevada, but as you know, it's bogus.  

That was a very impressive reading. I remember you first brought it to my attention a while ago. Broke the state record by 6F. This station appears to have a significant advantage over all of the other stations in Utah history, being perfectly positioned at low elevation in the very SW corner of Utah (as you know). Prior to Lytle Ranch coming online in 1988, the UT state record January max had been 74 at La Verkin on 1/21/1971 (same heat wave that brought 95 to downtown Los Angeles). In just 30 years of observations, Lytle Ranch pulled off:

73 on 1/12/1990

74 on 1/18/1994

74 on 1/12/1996

73 on 1/18/2000

80 on 1/31/2003

76 on 1/9/2015

73 on 1/27/2015

74 on 1/30/2018

Outside of Lytle Ranch, the previous UT state January record was was just tied this year, 74 at Zion NP on 1/30/2018. Zion NP had just missed out in two earlier events, hitting 73 on both 1/20/1971 and 1/31/2003. 

Regarding the 91 in Las Vegas in December 1910, yeah it's total crap. Their records show 5 straight days at 90+ during that stretch. I don't think so. Especially when you consider that the post-1937 airport record is 78. Loony Vegas readings aside, that was indeed a very warm stretch - Zion NP hit 81 on 12/8/1910. Which BTW is also higher than the listed UT state record for December, 76 in Rockville in 1906. 

This station appears to have a significant advantage over all of the other stations in Utah history, being perfectly positioned at low elevation in the very SW corner of Utah (as you know). 

Yes, and I believe the readings to be valid as well.   Winter high temps at Lytle Ranch are warmer than that of St George, but they correlate well with St. George for the rest of the year.   If the thermometer was over exposed, I would think that it would show this year round, rather than only in winter.   Also those winter high temperatures correlate well with the nearest weather station of Beaver Dam, which is just across the border and in Arizona.   Beaver Dam was also 80 on 1/31/2003.

In just 30 years of observations, Lytle Ranch pulled off:

96 on 3/18/2004 was another impressive one (Beaver Dam was 95 on that day, so there is correlation).   Lytle Ranch has hit the 90's on five occasions in March.

Loony Vegas readings aside, that was indeed a very warm stretch - Zion NP hit 81 on 12/8/1910. Which BTW is also higher than the listed UT state record for December, 76 in Rockville in 1906. 

I have seen those readings, but I don't think they're valid.   There was a warm spell in 12/1910, but 80's in Zion is just too warm.   Zion is sometimes a little warmer than St George in winter, but not by that much.   Check the readings for St George during that time period:

st geo.JPG

There is no way that Zion was consistently 15 degrees warmer than St George during that time period.

Also, at the time Rockdale was the same weather station as Zion National Park.   It's the same situation as the Riverside Ranger Station readings in Yellowstone getting lumped in with the more modern West Yellowstone Station.  

The early readings at Rockdale/Zion NP were definitely overexposed, including the 76 at Rockdale.    

Some early readings that would be state records are as follows:

97(!) on 2/10/1907

89 on 2/25/1904

80 on 12/1/1904

81 on 12/2/1904

79 on 12/4/1910

80 on 12/7/1910

81 on 12/8/1910

80 on 12/11/1904

Since 1916, no December readings at Zion have been above 74.   Between 1904 and 1916, there were many readings higher than this including several in the 80's.   The average December high in 1910 was supposedly 67.7 in Zion vs a much more credible 55.3 in St George.  For the last many years, the average December high at either locations has been very close.  

The thermometer was definitely over exposed during that time period.  

I'm killing some free time in the middle of the afternoon, so I figured what better way than to look up some weather stats?? I decided to take a look at Nevada monthly state records:

https://www.infoplease.com/science-health/weather/nevada-temperature-extremes

Looking at March, the listed monthly record through 2000 (or whatever year these records were last updated) was 98 degrees at Overton in 1940. In March 2004, this record was tied/exceeded with readings of:

99 at Overton

99 at Mesquite

99 at Calville Bay

98 at Laughlin

This was during the historic SW heat wave centered on the 21st-22nd that month.

Three years later, in 2007, an even more impressive heat wave affected the SW US even earlier in March, centered on the 18th-20th. Readings during this event included:

100 at Bunkerville

100 at Laughlin

98 at Calville Bay

For cold records - and I believe I already made a post about these in this very thread, probably a few months ago - the Nevada state record low for November was broken at a number of locations in 2010. The listed record was -23 at Wells in November 1896. In the November 2010 cold wave, readings included:

-32 at Charleston

-31 at Wildhorse Reservoir

-24 at Ryndon

There was also a -32 reading at Wildhorse Res. in November 1994.  It shows on the Daily Summary Stats, but somehow it got missed.  There is also a supposed -33 reading in Nov. 1993 at Charleston, but I cannot find anything to back it up...

Also, Mountain City, NV hit -46 in the December 1990 cold wave, and Spring Valley State Park hit -45. The listed record for December is -45 at San Jacinto in 1924. I'm willing to bet the Mountain City reading didn't make it into the monthly climo report for Dec 1990, hence its omission from the tables. 

As for February, there was a -42 reading at Wildhorse Res. in 1996 that beats out the old -41 reading set at Stofiel in the 1890s.  That one got missed too.

I have some issues with the -33 March reading at the Diamond Valley station in 1969.  Do any of you think it is legit?  If not, what would you consider the lowest 'reliably measured temperature in NV in March??

The May reading of -7 in 1990 at Pine Valley seems highly suspect.  The next lowest credible May low I can find is 3 degrees at Currie in 1965.

The November high of 98 at Mesquite in 1944 seems dubious.  There was a 91 reading at Callville Bay that month, but the 98 reading still seems very feverish to me.  The highest credible reading I can find is 95 at Bunkerville in 1988.  

The Dec. 1910 at Vegas is clearly bogus, so what is highest credible NV reading for December?  I can find an 83 reading at Indian Springs in Dec. 1955.  Let me know what any of your findings are..

The Dec. 1910 at Vegas is clearly bogus, so what is highest credible NV reading for December?  I can find an 83 reading at Indian Springs in Dec. 1955.  Let me know what any of your findings are..

December 1955 did have a warm spell (in contrast to the impressive cold snap the month before), but the 83 does seem a bit warm for the location.   I guess it still could be valid, but this seems a bit unlikely since that reading is warmer that only locations in the area that are normally warmer than Indian Springs and also warmer than the record low in February (which is very unusual for that region).  It is also only 3 degrees from the November record high, which is also unusual.  

There were some weather stations on the Arizona side of the Colorado River that recorded credible readings in the 80's in 12/1980.   Had stations such as the Laughlin one existed then, they almost would have certainly also recorded temperatures in the 80's.  I guess you really can't count that though, but it is highly likely that temperatures were similar on either side of the river (which forms the border).

One credible December reading in the 80's was 80 at Overton on 12/11/1939.   This was a widespread warm spell and many records in that part of the country were broken.

Desert National Wildlife Refuge also recorded an 81 on 12/16/1942.

Laughlin also had an 80 on 12/14/2017.   As mentioned, the temperatures in 12/1980 were probably higher, but the station didn't exist then.  I suspect that Laughlin will eventually set a lot more state records as time goes on since it is the hottest part of Nevada and the station has only existed since 1988.

The May reading of -7 in 1990 at Pine Valley seems highly suspect.  The next lowest credible May low I can find is 3 degrees at Currie in 1965.

Yes; I'm not even sure where the Pine Valley reading comes from.   At the official Pine Valley Station data from May 1990 happens to be missing.  The lowest May reading that I can find there is 9 on 5/2/1988, though it  did hit -3 on 4/29/1990 (this one is valid; several record lows were set in the region).   The latest it has gotten down to at least -7 at that station was -12 on 3/4/1989 (another collaborated reading).  

Other than being listed as the May state record for Nevada, I haven't been able to find anything on the -7 reading.

I have some issues with the -33 March reading at the Diamond Valley station in 1969.  Do any of you think it is legit?  

I would say it isn't legitimate.    There are three weather stations in that valley and none of them have recorded even close to -30's temperatures in March.   That reading really does stand out because the Diamond Valley Hall station (1963-1971), which is where the -33 was supposedly recorded didn't record temperatures close to that in January and February.   The -27 on 12/22/1968 is probably valid though. 

If not, what would you consider the lowest 'reliably measured temperature in NV in March??

Wildhorse Reservoir supposedly recorded a -32 on 3/20/1984, but it also seems a bit too low (and tied with the January record), though Wildhorse Reservoir does record some of the coldest temperatures in Nevada.  Next would probably be -28 Charleston on 3/7/1964.  I'd say this one is certainly valid.   Many record lows were broken in the region on that day.   I'd choose the  -28 Charleston to be the "real" March record.

The November high of 98 at Mesquite in 1944 seems dubious.

Yes.  Las Vegas only hit 80 then.  The Callville Bay reading is probably accurate.   Overton also hit 91 on 11/1/1944.  Mesquite usually has similar temperatures to Overton.  Mesquite did hit 90 on 11/8/1958, but other than the state record, I can't find any 98 November reading at Mesquite.

The highest credible reading I can find is 95 at Bunkerville in 1988. 

Probably so.   I was thinking it might be 94 at Laughlin on 11/1/1988 and 11/1/2008, but the Bunkerville reading could certainly be valid.  

Here are what I believe to be the most credible reliably measured monthly extremes in Nevada:

Jan 84 2003, 1931 Mesquite, Logandale   -50 1937 San Jacinto

Feb 92 1986 Logandale   -42 1996 Wildhorse Res.

Mar 100 2007 Bunkerville/Laughlin   -28 1964 Charleston

Apr 106 2013, 1989 Laughlin   -12 1963 Ruth

May 118 2003 Overton   3 1965 Currie

June 125 1994 Laughlin   12 1914 Elko AP

July 124 1995 Laughlin   17 1995 Wildhorse Res.

Aug 122 1914 Amargosa Valley   11 2009 Wildhorse Res.

Sept 117 1955 Indian Springs   0   1895 Carlin

Oct 109 2003 Overton   -10 1972 Mountain City

Nov 95 1988 Bunkerville   -32 2010, 1994 Charleston, Wildhorse Res.

Dec 83 1955 Indian Springs   -46 1990 Mountain City

Here are what I believe to be the most credible reliably measured monthly extremes in Nevada:

Jan 84 2003, 1931 Mesquite, Logandale -50 1937 San Jacinto

Feb 92 1986 Logandale -42 1996 Wildhorse Res.

Mar 100 2007 Bunkerville/Laughlin -28 1964 Charleston

Apr 106 2013, 1989 Laughlin -12 1963 Ruth

May 118 2003 Overton 3 1965 Currie

June 125 1994 Laughlin 12 1914 Elko AP

July 124 1995 Laughlin 17 1995 Wildhorse Res.

Aug 122 1914 Amargosa Valley 11 2009 Wildhorse Res.

Sept 117 1955 Indian Springs 0 1895 Carlin

Oct 109 2003 Overton -10 1972 Mountain City

Nov 95 1988 Bunkerville -32 2010, 1994 Charleston, Wildhorse Res.

Dec 83 1955 Indian Springs -46 1990 Mountain City

Looks good. I'm still not sure about the September 1955 117 and December 1955 83 at Indian Springs though. They seem at least a little suspect.

Of note, the 0 at Carlin in September 1895 is impressive, but I believe that it is legitimate. The 11 in August at Wildhorse Reservoir is also impressive. It might be the coldest August temperature in the lower 48 in recent years.

I see that you eliminated the 8 supposedly recorded in June 1891. That one is definitely not legitimate and I don't know where it comes from since the weather data at that station doesn't have anything close to 8 in June, including in 1891. In 1891, the coldest June reading was 32. Even April didn't have a reading as cold as 8 during the period of record.

The 8 degree reading in 1891 is ridiculous.  NCDC seriously needs to work on their quality control when putting out their record reports.  Another messed up state is Wyoming.  Here is my list of reliably measured ​temperatures for each month:

Jan 72 1981 Recluse 14NNW   -58 1943 Lamar RS

Feb 79 1995, 1962 Weston, La Grange   -63 1933 Moran

Mar 86 1907 Pine Bluffs   -50 1906 Snake River

Apr 91 1992, 1989 Rochelle, Torrington   -29 1920 Lake Yellowstone

May 101 1934 Sundance/Colony   -10 1917 Lake Yellowstone

June 110 1981 Basin   5 1978 Burgess Jct.

July 112 1960, 1954, 1900 Spencer, Redbird, Basin   15 1981 Darwin Ranch

Aug 110 1935, 1908 Colony, Basin   7 1910 Fountain/Norris/Soda Butte YNP

Sept 108 1978 Colony   -5 1985, 1926 Burgess Jct, L. Yellowstone/S. Pass City

Oct 98 1947, 1922 Hampshire, Gillette   -33 1917 Soda Butte YNP

Nov 86 1914 Wheatland   -46 1976 Darwin Ranch

Dec 78 1939 Thermopolis/Sheridan-Fld Stn   -58 1924 Buffalo Ranch YNP

​       Let me know what you all think.  Their summer readings of 114 in June 1988, 115 in July 1988 and 115 in Aug 1983 are completely unfounded!  Not to mention the Riverside/West Yellowstone debacle.  

The 86 at Wheatland in November is very unlikely at best. I don't think it is legitimate.

The 86 March reading at Pine Bluffs is a little suspicious too.

Both 98 readings in October are unlikely. The Gillette station has a lot of unusually high temperatures reported between 1920 and 1922. The thermometer looks to be over exposed in this time period.

The Hampshire October reading really stands out with the second highest reading on that date only being 85. No other October readings at that station have been above 90. There was a warm spell during that time period, but the surrounding stations didn't get close to that warm.

The rest of the list looks good.

As a side note, I wonder how cold the Darwin Ranch location would have gotten in February 1933 if a station existed there at the time? I would guess that it would have certainly bested the records at West Yellowstone and Moran. My guess is that it would have at least approached -70, and maybe even exceeded it, but there's no way to know.

Thanks for helping with your info.  The 86 at Wheatland now does seem dubious.  The next highest reading I can find is 83 at Torrington in 1999.

The 86 March reading does seem legit to me.  Any reason why you would think otherwise?

The two 98 degree readings in Oct. seem very unlikely now that you mention it.  The most credible Oct. temperature is probably 95 at Sheridan Field Sta. in Oct. 2011.

I bet Darwin Ranch could surpass the -66 and -63 set at West Yellowstone and Moran in 1933.  It could also beat the -59 set in 1924 as the Dec. record low for the US.

Taylor Park, Colorado might be able to exceed its 60 below readings as well as its December reading of -53 if it was around before 1933/1924. 

Taylor Park, Colorado might be able to exceed its 60 below readings as well

Some of the ranches at Taylor Park have recorded temps down to -70. Those readings aren't official, but they are plausible since the weather station isn't at the coldest place in the valley.

The 86 March reading does seem legit to me. Any reason why you would think otherwise?

There was an impressive warm spell then, but the 86 is a little suspicious because it was warmer than all other reasons in the area by quite a bit (such as the 82 in Kimball Nebraska), even in places that are normally warmer. It could be legitimate, but it is still a little suspicious. If the higher reading was caused by a Chinook, it might explain the warmer reading, so it still could be possible.

Yes, and I believe the readings to be valid as well.   Winter high temps at Lytle Ranch are warmer than that of St George, but they correlate well with St. George for the rest of the year.   If the thermometer was over exposed, I would think that it would show this year round, rather than only in winter.   Also those winter high temperatures correlate well with the nearest weather station of Beaver Dam, which is just across the border and in Arizona.   Beaver Dam was also 80 on 1/31/2003.

96 on 3/18/2004 was another impressive one (Beaver Dam was 95 on that day, so there is correlation).   Lytle Ranch has hit the 90's on five occasions in March.

I have seen those readings, but I don't think they're valid.   There was a warm spell in 12/1910, but 80's in Zion is just too warm.   Zion is sometimes a little warmer than St George in winter, but not by that much.   Check the readings for St George during that time period:

attachicon.gifst geo.JPG

There is no way that Zion was consistently 15 degrees warmer than St George during that time period.

Also, at the time Rockdale was the same weather station as Zion National Park.   It's the same situation as the Riverside Ranger Station readings in Yellowstone getting lumped in with the more modern West Yellowstone Station.  

The early readings at Rockdale/Zion NP were definitely overexposed, including the 76 at Rockdale.    

Some early readings that would be state records are as follows:

97(!) on 2/10/1907

89 on 2/25/1904

80 on 12/1/1904

81 on 12/2/1904

79 on 12/4/1910

80 on 12/7/1910

81 on 12/8/1910

80 on 12/11/1904

Since 1916, no December readings at Zion have been above 74.   Between 1904 and 1916, there were many readings higher than this including several in the 80's.   The average December high in 1910 was supposedly 67.7 in Zion vs a much more credible 55.3 in St George.  For the last many years, the average December high at either locations has been very close.  

The thermometer was definitely over exposed during that time period.  

Thanks for looking into it. Zion NP readings from that era definitely do not seem legitimate.

There was also a -32 reading at Wildhorse Res. in November 1994.  It shows on the Daily Summary Stats, but somehow it got missed.  There is also a supposed -33 reading in Nov. 1993 at Charleston, but I cannot find anything to back it up...

Indeed, looks like Wildhorse Reservoir hit -32 in November 1994. Also -26 at Spring Valley State Park. 

As for February, there was a -42 reading at Wildhorse Res. in 1996 that beats out the old -41 reading set at Stofiel in the 1890s.  That one got missed too.

Nice find. I wasn't aware of this one. Eastern Oregon cold spots were well down into the -20's and -30's during that cold wave, so this reading makes sense. Of note, Charleston also hit -39 in the mid-February 2006 cold wave. 

The 8 degree reading in 1891 is ridiculous.  NCDC seriously needs to work on their quality control when putting out their record reports.  Another messed up state is Wyoming.  Here is my list of reliably measured ​temperatures for each month:

Jan 72 1981 Recluse 14NNW   -58 1943 Lamar RS

Feb 79 1995, 1962 Weston, La Grange   -63 1933 Moran

Mar 86 1907 Pine Bluffs   -50 1906 Snake River

Apr 91 1992, 1989 Rochelle, Torrington   -29 1920 Lake Yellowstone

May 101 1934 Sundance/Colony   -10 1917 Lake Yellowstone

June 110 1981 Basin   5 1978 Burgess Jct.

July 112 1960, 1954, 1900 Spencer, Redbird, Basin   15 1981 Darwin Ranch

Aug 110 1935, 1908 Colony, Basin   7 1910 Fountain/Norris/Soda Butte YNP

Sept 108 1978 Colony   -5 1985, 1926 Burgess Jct, L. Yellowstone/S. Pass City

Oct 98 1947, 1922 Hampshire, Gillette   -33 1917 Soda Butte YNP

Nov 86 1914 Wheatland   -46 1976 Darwin Ranch

Dec 78 1939 Thermopolis/Sheridan-Fld Stn   -58 1924 Buffalo Ranch YNP

​       Let me know what you all think.  Their summer readings of 114 in June 1988, 115 in July 1988 and 115 in Aug 1983 are completely unfounded!  Not to mention the Riverside/West Yellowstone debacle.  

Some recent Wyoming readings that I'm aware of:

JAN - 75 at Phillips & Torrington AP in 2015

MAR - 86 at Wheatland 4N in 2015

MAR - 85 at Torrington AP in 2012

NOV - 87 at Dull Center in 2010 (suspect, no other readings above 78 in WY during that warm spell)

• Like 1

There is also a supposed -33 reading in Nov. 1993 at Charleston, but I cannot find anything to back it up...

I haven't seen anything on this reading, but it seems credible. In much of the region, November 1993 got as cold or colder than the November cold snaps of 1994 and 2010.

Regarding Nov. 1993, a reading in the -30s definitely seems plausible in a cold spot like Charleston. Too bad they weren't reporting that month. McDermitt hit -18 in that cold wave (monthly record), and Deeth hit -17, which was also a monthly record until the following year when -18 was reached on November 22 & 23, 1994. Fremont in S. central Oregon hit -29 in Nov. 1993 which was within 3F of the state monthly record. 

• Like 1

Some recent Wyoming readings that I'm aware of:

JAN - 75 at Phillips & Torrington AP in 2015

MAR - 86 at Wheatland 4N in 2015

MAR - 85 at Torrington AP in 2012

NOV - 87 at Dull Center in 2010 (suspect, no other readings above 78 in WY during that warm spell)

Thank you so much wx_statsman!!  Awesome bit of info for Wyoming for you to share.   I figured the Dull Center Nov. reading of 87 was bogus, thanks for backing me up on that.

Erik, any plans to do Colorado? That one has a bunch of messed up records.

Here is my version of Colorado:

Jan 84 1916 Las Animas   -60 1979 Maybell

Feb 89 1951 Eversoll Ranch   -61 1985 Maybell

Mar 96 1907 Holly   -46 1943 Columbine

Apr 100 1992 Las Animas   -30 1970 Fraser

May 107 2000 La Junta 20S   -10 1896 Climax

June 114 2012 Las Animas   10 1990, 1976 Climax

July 114 1954, 1933 Sedgwick, Las Animas   12 1995 Climax

Aug 112 1938, 1934 Sedgwick   15 1981, 1910 Wolf Creek Pass 1E, Fraser

Sept 107 1947 Eads   -2 1959 Fraser

Oct 100 1910 Sheridan Lake   -20 1917 Westcliffe

Nov 90 1927 Holly/Wray   -41 1931 Garnett

Dec 85 1955 Eversoll Ranch   -53 1986 Taylor Park

​    If any of this is still bogus, let me know...

• Like 1

Looks pretty good.   Good job on eliminating the bogus 90 in February and the 93 in November, as well as the Breckenridge low readings.  

I wonder about the 96 in March 1907 (though it was a really impressive warm spell).  It may be valid.

Pikes Peak recorded a 2 in June (and a 4 in other year).  I believe these readings, especially since the farther south and generally warmer White Mountain Peak recorded a 0 in June.   I don't remember the year the 2 was recorded though, I'd have to go back through the data.

Silverton had a 13 on 8/13/1907. Comparing readings to Lake City, Gunnison, and Mancos (Mancos isn't a cold spot), it seems suspicious.  Silverton also had a reported 10 on 6/20/1911, but this reading seems too low as well. 

The 15 at Wolf Creek Pass 1E in 1981 is definitely not valid.  Something was wrong with the thermometer in 1981.    1981 had a lot of invalid cold readings in July and August.  Some sources even report a 5 reading at Wolf Creek Pass, which is also invalid.  Another reading of 13 was QC'd out (and rightly so).   Next to 1981, the record low in August was a much warmer 26.  Incidentally the weather station at Climax had the opposite problem in the summer of 1981.   It had a bunch of bogus high readings.  

Pikes Peak also recorded a 15 in August. 

Crested Butte reported a -26 on 10/28/1919.   There was a cold snap then, but -26 does seem too low.

Any clue as to where Garnett (record low in November) is located?   I haven't been able to find that one.

Thank you so much wx_statsman!!  Awesome bit of info for Wyoming for you to share.   I figured the Dull Center Nov. reading of 87 was bogus, thanks for backing me up on that.

No problem. I appreciate the effort you put in as well. Really neat seeing what the real monthly records are (or might be!) for the various states. 

Some numbers that I've been able to find:

MAR: 97 at Arapahoe 12S in 2012 (suspect, no other reading in CO above 89 that month)

MAY: -11 at Sugarloaf Reservoir in 2013

MAY: 107 at Ordway in 2002

AUG: 112 at Joes in 2008

Some close calls:

* 88 at Campo 7S in November 2017 (and 86 at a bunch of stations, i.e. Lamar, Las Animas, La Junta, etc.). The amazing thing is that these readings occurred late in the month, on the 27th-28th. 

* 88 at Holly in February 2016 (87 at Lamar Airport).

* 99 at Las Animas and Burlington in October 2015.

* 106 at John Martin Dam in September 2014. 

• Like 1