Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Washington State Temperature Records by Month w/ a little analysis

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

wx_statman

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:18 PM

wx_statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4503 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Interesting. Were these dual thermometers used just in Oregon and/or certain areas of the country? Or was standardized nationally?

Maybe I’m just behind the curve but I don’t recall this practice being employed around these parts. Then again this isn’t something I’ve studied.

I'm not sure. I would imagine yes, since Oregon probably took their direction from above. Oregon stations in 1889 were part of the Signal Service network (the direct predecessor to the COOP network), which was national. 

Scott

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:35 PM

Scott

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationNear Craig Colorado
I checked Cascade Tunnel out of curiosity. The obs for August 1896 look like a joke. It almost looks like the observer didn't bother recording the minimums that month (probably busy drinking and sleeping in late), and then just wrote in a bunch of numbers that he made up at the end of the month.   :lol: There's no way any of those minimums were 20 degrees. 

Dang.  The highs look pretty much like a joke too.  What about the 1926 reading?   Either way, it doesn't seem to be a good weather station to trust.

Which begs the question, what is the lowest legitimate August temperature in Washington?

Possible candidates:

21 at Status Pass on 8/31/1985

23 at Cle Elum on 8/24/1910

23 at Bumping Lake on 8/23/1910

More recently Wellpinit had a 24 on 8/25/2006, but it doesn't seem that cold of a location.

PS, what ever happened to IbrChris?

At home:

Coldest temperature thus far in 2018:   -26 on 2/21<

Warmest temperature thus far in 2018:  99 on 7/8 (All time record high

Precip thus far in 2018:   6.45 inches

Snowfall thus far in 2018:   35.7 inches

wx_statman

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

wx_statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4503 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

My initial hunch would be August 1910. I attached a screenshot of the lowest minimums from WA that month. That was definitely a verifiable, historic cold snap for August. As we had discussed previously, this is the same cold wave that dropped Bowen, Montana to 5 degrees for the US monthly August record low. 

23 degrees was also reached at Deer Park on 8/29/1937, the same cold wave that produced the OR state record low for August (13 at Seneca).

The Satus Pass reading from August 1985 is interesting but is difficult to corroborate, being a mountain pass without any nearby stations with similar elevation/topography to cross-check. Satus Pass also hit 23 on 8/17/1976; this was a major mid-summer cold trough that I am aware of, so that reading has some credibility with me. 

Also, Cliff Ridge RAWS hit 20 during the August 1992 cold wave. 

Attached Files

• Scott likes this

Scott

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

Scott

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationNear Craig Colorado
My initial hunch would be August 1910. I attached a screenshot of the lowest minimums from WA that month. That was definitely a verifiable, historic cold snap for August. As we had discussed previously, this is the same cold wave that dropped Bowen, Montana to 5 degrees for the US monthly August record low. 

Off topic a little, but 1910 was sure an interesting weather year as far as off season temperatures go.

The March 1910 heat wave was possibly the most impressive March heatwave to ever hit the Plains and Midwest.

Some impressive readings (especially for March):

100 at Hugoton Kansas

89 At Lapeer Michigan
88 at Montevideo Minnesota
88 at Miles City Montana
101 at Grant Nebraska
90 at Edmore 1NW North Dakota

88 At Kennewick Washington (it seems that Chris discounted this reading though?).

May 1910 had a really impressive heat wave in much of Utah and Nevada.

108 at St George Utah

103 at Richfield Utah (the second hottest temperature ever recorded there in any month).

August 1910 was perhaps the most impressive summer cold snap anywhere in the United States with places like Bowen and Hegben Dam recording 5 degrees (3 degrees colder than the May record and only one degree from the September record).

December 1910 had another heat wave in the Southwest with temperatures soaring to a reported 91 at Las Vegas, but this one seems dubious.  

If there were more weather stations in the US in 1910 there would be a lot more records set in all of the months mentioned above. 

• wx_statman likes this

At home:

Coldest temperature thus far in 2018:   -26 on 2/21<

Warmest temperature thus far in 2018:  99 on 7/8 (All time record high

Precip thus far in 2018:   6.45 inches

Snowfall thus far in 2018:   35.7 inches