2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

You are thinking of 1994-95, and I remember that February heat well. It approached 90 degrees at least on a couple of occasions during that period with some weak to moderate Santa Ana winds. I remember getting together with my relatives to celebrate my uncle's birthday that February in Irvine and it was very warm for the time of year, even late into the afternoon.

Yep, I remember that. I was in high school back then and our field was not very level, so it would always become a swamp whenever​ it rained and we had to walk across it to get to one side of the school to the other. It rained so much parts of it died due to the flooding.

Wussed out on Anza-Borrego this morning and will wait another day or week until the crowds decrease and the temperature lowers.

Really warm overnight & this morning.

L: 67

Next week looks to be quite wet w/ a series of storms for California :)

Wednesday: 86/ 67 [yesterday's warm minimum appears to have been localized to Pasadena/ surrounding foothill area and may have been a combination of overnight high clouds and offshore wind] 

• Like 1

NWS_SAN FRANCISCO

Thursday system will be the main storm system to watch 
  for next week as it currently has the potential to bring inches of
  rain, localized flooding, mudslides, delayed travel, and gusty 
  winds.

Fog was slower to burn off this morning, but still relatively quick. Therefore we are off to a cooler start, though they are expecting a warmer day.

Rain for next week does not look too impressive anymore as we will mostly be getting the tail end of storms, but I'm sure many will enjoy the cooler weather.

They say San Francisco is one of the most desirable cities to live in, but I don't see what's so desirable about having weeks without sun in some areas in middle of the summer. I guess most people hate the heat more than they hate the cold. Probably about 75% of people. I am one of the 25% who likes heat and hates cold, even though California cold is nothing compared to areas that have snowy winters. Even on a very hot summer day, the temperatures are quite pleasant by sunset, and sunset is a nice time to go for a walk.

Fog was slower to burn off this morning, but still relatively quick. Therefore we are off to a cooler start, though they are expecting a warmer day.

Rain for next week does not look too impressive anymore as we will mostly be getting the tail end of storms, but I'm sure many will enjoy the cooler weather.

They say San Francisco is one of the most desirable cities to live in, but I don't see what's so desirable about having weeks without sun in some areas in middle of the summer. I guess most people hate the heat more than they hate the cold. Probably about 75% of people. I am one of the 25% who likes heat and hates cold, even though California cold is nothing compared to areas that have snowy winters. Even on a very hot summer day, the temperatures are quite pleasant by sunset, and sunset is a nice time to go for a walk.

Many San Franciscans hate fog/ cool temps but know how quickly they can escape to Marin/ San Mateo counties.  Sun-lovers are attracted to beach cities that can be very cold when everywhere else is warm/ sunny.  Leo Carrillo beach barely broke 60° last week.   

Swain points to the real chance that this could be the greatest rain season in state history :)

"If California receives at least average precipitation for the rest of the season, 2016-2017 would become the state’s wettest Water Year on record. http://weatherwest.com/

How can that be? Downtown L.A. averages 12.63 for water year to date and 14.93 for the entire water year and they have a total of 18.50. I remember some years they were over 30 inches.

Mr Marine Layer, on 19 Mar 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

How can that be? Downtown L.A. averages 12.63 for water year to date and 14.93 for the entire water year and they have a total of 18.50. I remember some years they were over 30 inches.

I wish it included all areas of the state but even if we get no rain through June, most stations will be above normal. This week will add more to the rain total; it would be great to pick up a few inches.  

While it makes a lot of sense for the beaches to be cold to cool and the inland areas to be warm to hot during spring and summer, there are a few things that are more complicated. For example, sometimes Montgomery Field gets hotter than Fullerton, mainly during weak offshore flow or very weak onshore flow. There are other days like today that Montgomery Field can be almost 10 degrees cooler than Fullerton.

L.A. DOWNTOWN  PTSUNNY   69  50  50 CALM      30.12S                 

USC readings have been out of sync w/ surrounding stations lately

Yesterday afternoon had a temperature crash from low 70s right before 4 PM to low 60s by 5:30 PM as marine layer clouds exploded in growth. The afternoon felt colder than the morning with all the wind.

Today very little low clouds left, which would reduce our rainfall chances. The sun is out for now.

It hasn't amounted to much rainfall down here but the trough door is open for an active week, if appears.

So great photos coming out of the San Joaquin valley today

post-226-0-46197500-1490162337_thumb.jpg

post-226-0-06745200-1490162359_thumb.jpg

post-226-0-86913900-1490163795_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dan the Weatherman, on 22 Mar 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

That photo on the bottom showing the cell with the rain shaft and all the cows posing in the foreground is really neat!

Agree, I believe that was taken outside Chowchilla

Couple cells showing up on radar near Santa Clarita & Palmdale. Otherwise today has been pretty quiet. Another chance for rain later this weekend.

69/ 57

Rain: 0.24

March: 0.37

Year: 20.07

Couple cells showing up on radar near Santa Clarita & Palmdale. Otherwise today has been pretty quiet. Another chance for rain later this weekend.

69/ 57

Rain: 0.24

March: 0.37

Year: 20.07

It didn't rain at all here in Orange today, unless it rained very early this morning before I woke up. I hope this weekend's storm brings more rain than this storm did. This storm was really a bust for the area, as rainfall totals were originally forecast to be between .75" and 1.5" in some areas (according to NWS San Diego a couple of days ago before the totals were downgraded).

Despite not getting much rain from this storm, I don't think our season is over just yet. I still believe we may get one more good storm before the end of April and possibly several smaller storms as well.