Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply

DareDuck

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

DareDuck

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

There is a fair chance for rainfall tomorrow though likely not much or maybe nothing. Oh well.

I'm ok with that. I'm there for 7 days and it looks nice after tomorrow.

Bend, OR Winter 2016/17 Elevation: 3550'

Dec 2016: 21"

Jan 2017: 38"

Feb 2017: 9"

Mar 2017: 2"

Apr 2017: T"

Season Total: 70"

Average: ~25"

2015/2016: 34"

Jesse

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15608 posts
  • LocationEast Vancouver, WA (300')

The northern Sierra has now surpassed the all time record for rain and that part of the state is still raining off and on this week. There is concern that a major heat wave could result in significant flooding in NorCal and Nevada.

Nice Easter: 79/ 54

Is snowpack also well above average?

epiceast

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

epiceast

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1157 posts
  • LocationMissoula, MT

All california snotels have 200% or better SWE atm.

• Jesse likes this

happ

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:08 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts
  • LocationRancho San Rafael [ele: 910'] °

Yes, at historic levels in many areas. For it to be raining/snowing anywhere in California [ex north Coast] during mid-April is practically a miracle. Snowpack in southern Sierra [165%/177%] is running slightly behind central Sierra [183 -194%].

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
  • LocationLake Forest, CA
Looks like a double marine inversion right now with a very weak one in the 3000-5000 ft layer creating some puffy stratocumulus clouds and a more typical one drawing in low clouds to the L.A. coast.

happ

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

If we could get a decent marine layer tonight we might get some measurable rain but high clouds have ruined any chance for stratus development in recent days.

76/ 54

Thunder98

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:34 AM

Thunder98

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationOrcutt, California

I have gotten 0.73" of rain today. The rain at times was very heavy, tropical like downpours.

• Dan the Weatherman and happ like this

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
Marine push has begun, with its usual reputation for crashing temperatures and making it breezy.

happ

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

Rainfall north of LA county was fairly impressive but stayed dry and a bit muggy here today. 

78/ 61

happ

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

More comparisons to 2011

Attached Files

Thunder98

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

Thunder98

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

With 21.63" of rain since September 1st, This is now the 7th wettest water year on record!

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
Satellite image is not updating once again. It also looks like NOAA has changed the look of their weather sites.

happ

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:44 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

Pleasant near normal temps today that should rise a bit over the next several days.

76/ 60

happ

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

"You can now use the outdoor showers at state beaches again"  http://www.latimes.c..._medium=twitter

Attached Files

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:00 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
Early June like lows and highs today. Looks like weekend heat wave could put jacarandas into bloom.

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

"You can now use the outdoor showers at state beaches again"  http://www.latimes.c..._medium=twitter

That website attacks me with ads. Cannot view it on my smart phone at all. Shame on you LA Times.

happ

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

That website attacks me with ads. Cannot view it on my smart phone at all. Shame on you LA Times.

Agree and why I limit how much time I spend on the LAT website.

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

With 21.63" of rain since September 1st, This is now the 7th wettest water year on record!

Is that total from your backyard, making it the 7th wettest year since you have been keeping records, or is that total from an official NWS site nearby? I was just wondering, and that is a good total regardless of where it was observed!

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:09 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Satellite image is not updating once again. It also looks like NOAA has changed the look of their weather sites.

The site changes occurred sometime either late last night or early today. NWS sites now have a consistent look nationwide. The Western Region sites were the last to be converted over to the new format, while east coast NWS sites were converted a couple of years ago and the Southern Region sites were updated more recently in the past year or so.

happ

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

Even with the lack of rain for 2 months SoCal is still above normal

Attached Files

• Dan the Weatherman likes this

happ

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

A reminder that we do have interesting weather in April on occasion

Thursday: 82/ 56

Attached Files

• Chris likes this

Thunder98

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

Thunder98

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Is that total from your backyard, making it the 7th wettest year since you have been keeping records, or is that total from an official NWS site nearby? I was just wondering, and that is a good total regardless of where it was observed!

The Rain gauge in Orcutt 

https://rain.cosbpw....-04-21 23:59:59

happ

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

First 90° day of April; in March it hit 91° on 3/13/17.

90/ 60

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
Hills are quickly becoming brown here, and despite the rainy winter, it could mean extra vegetation for next fire season.

Hope to make up for it with jacarandas blooming soon.

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
April so far has been warmer than average, but not too extreme except the last two days. Even days when we reached mid to upper 70s, it was quite breezy. Rather boring spring so far, even for California.

happ

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

Hit the 100 degree mark in Thermal today; tomorrow Phoenix could reach the threshold signaling summer is not far off.  

92/ 62

happ

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:13 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

Several photos of this past week's sun pillar were posted

San Mateo county

Attached Files

Thunder98

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

Thunder98

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

It has been so windy this past week and the upcoming week is looking more of the same.  :mellow:

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Onshore flow really picked up this afternoon. Eddy must have spun up. Still a pretty hot day before that, although much cooler than yesterday.

happ

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

Clouds and cooler temps today; nice change.

Sunday: 81/ 60

happ

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

Looking at these graphs suggests that rain shadows factor into the on-going drought in northern sections of SoCal. Santa Barbara/ Ventura counties have benefitted from April storms denied us further south. That dry spot in northeast LA county is east of Tehachapi mts; part of Mojave desert.

Locally, Burbank is an excellent example of how southwest flow put the airport in the shadow of Santa Monica mts/ Hollywood Hills.

Attached Files

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

April so far has been warmer than average, but not too extreme except the last two days. Even days when we reached mid to upper 70s, it was quite breezy. Rather boring spring so far, even for California.

It has been very boring and dry this spring so far. There has hardly been any convective activity due to the lack of spring storms this year. The big storm in San Diego County in late February was really the last good storm for Socal and it wasn't even that good in Orange and L.A. Counties as the bulk of the activity was to the south. Since March 1, there have only been 3 light rain events here in Orange and a bit of drizzle, and I have seen much heavier rains in May and even June in years past!

This rainy season, despite how wet it was during the winter, has been a lot like 2007-08 as far as the storm patterns go.

• happ likes this

happ

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

It has been very boring and dry this spring so far. There has hardly been any convective activity due to the lack of spring storms this year. The big storm in San Diego County in late February was really the last good storm for Socal and it wasn't even that good in Orange and L.A. Counties as the bulk of the activity was to the south. Since March 1, there have only been 3 light rain events here in Orange and a bit of drizzle, and I have seen much heavier rains in May and even June in years past!

This rainy season, despite how wet it was during the winter, has been a lot like 2007-08 as far as the storm patterns go.

We haven't even been able to squeeze out drizzle but that should change as the marine layer typically develops/ strengthens next month. Dry troughs/ persistent zonal flow but also relatively languid ridges have saved us from intense heat. Windy today.

Monday: 73/ 58

DareDuck

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

DareDuck

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationBend, OR
Much better weather this weekend compared to last Fri/Sat. I can't be outside so long when it's around 90 or above unless I'm around water. This week I've been able to hike a lot more. Hiked to Nicholas Flat and it was nice to see the pond completely full. Also hiked Sandstone (Mt. Allen) and it was perfect weather. Also did some smaller hikes around the Los Robles trails and around the Westlake reservoir. Planning to hike to do a more secluded hike off Mulholland east of Kanan tomorrow.
  • Jesse likes this

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:55 AM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Much better weather this weekend compared to last Fri/Sat. I can't be outside so long when it's around 90 or above unless I'm around water. This week I've been able to hike a lot more. Hiked to Nicholas Flat and it was nice to see the pond completely full. Also hiked Sandstone (Mt. Allen) and it was perfect weather. Also did some smaller hikes around the Los Robles trails and around the Westlake reservoir. Planning to hike to do a more secluded hike off Mulholland east of Kanan tomorrow.

It was way too hot last Friday and Saturday when it was nearly 90 degrees or slightly above here in Orange. It practically felt like a midsummer afternoon when I was at my cousin's house in Trabuco Canyon last Saturday.

happ

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

You are doing a lot of hiking. The wind, especially yesterday, stirs up dust/ pollen, making outdoor activity unpleasant if you suffer from hay fever.  Have you spotted any rattlesnakes?

Tuesday: 77/ 57  

DareDuck

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

DareDuck

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

You are doing a lot of hiking. The wind, especially yesterday, stirs up dust/ pollen, making outdoor activity unpleasant if you suffer from hay fever. Have you spotted any rattlesnakes?

Tuesday: 77/ 57

I'm on vacation and would much rather hike in the Santa Monica's than do any of the touristy or city stuff. Fortunately the pollen hasn't been a problem for me yet. Even more fortunately we haven't seen or heard any rattlers despite hiking near grassy fields around dusk.
  • Jesse likes this

happ

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

I'm on vacation and would much rather hike in the Santa Monica's than do any of the touristy or city stuff. Fortunately the pollen hasn't been a problem for me yet. Even more fortunately we haven't seen or heard any rattlers despite hiking near grassy fields around dusk.

Plus, there is anger over closing Beachwood canyon for those wanting the Hollywood sign selfies:   :rolleyes:

" Rattlesnake season begins with a vengeance in Southern California" http://www.latimes.c...0419-story.html

Jesse

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15608 posts
  • LocationEast Vancouver, WA (300')

I'm on vacation and would much rather hike in the Santa Monica's than do any of the touristy or city stuff.

Sounds like we see eye to eye on how to spend a vacation. :)
  • DareDuck likes this

happ

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

Pleasant day; some high clouds and less wind.

82/ 59

happ

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

Can't seem to break pattern of high pressure offshore and deep trough over Rockies/ Great Plains. This sets up dry NNE winds for SoCal that is bad news for rising fire conditions. Arizona & New Mexico have already been experiencing wildfires in recent weeks, California is next.

happ

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

L.A. DOWNTOWN  MOSUNNY   82  45  27 VRB3      29.78F                 

USC is running 5 -10 degrees above nearly every LA/ Orange metro station.  :rolleyes:

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
San Diego getting some early May Gray this morning, while Orange County never got a solid marine layer. Not going to be as hot today as they were forecasting yesterday.

happ

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

San Diego getting some early May Gray this morning, while Orange County never got a solid marine layer. Not going to be as hot today as they were forecasting yesterday.

I get nervous not having a strong marine layer by late April. Its very windy today. May 2014 comes to mind. Hope that doesn't happen.  

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
Looks like either Fullerton got an offshore wind shift or their thermometer broke. Here it's​ quickly cooling down as it normally does on a spring evening.

Alxz310

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:35 PM

Alxz310

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA

Looks like either Fullerton got an offshore wind shift or their thermometer broke. Here it's​ quickly cooling down as it normally does on a spring evening.

LAX (and along the coast through Venice and SM) just went from 64 degrees at 7:25pm to 75 by 8:20pm. I was outside during the wind shift and the temperature change was quite noticeable. Santa Monica Airport (just over a mile inland) hit the daily high of 83 degrees at 4:51pm and remained near 80 until 7:15pm. The sea breeze was really fighting the northerly wind right near the beach, but was finally pushed back.

Interestingly, the forecast is nearly always off for these Northerly winds for my area. On Tuesday we had gusts topping 40mph in the evening here in Santa Monica. They issued a wind advisory for the following night (Wednesday), but there were no winds to speak. Tonight they are again gusting to 30mph+.

happ

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

It has been very warm and extremely windy all afternoon/ evening w/ gusts pushing 50mph

83/ 60

happ

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

I've lost a few tree limbs; surprised we haven't lost power tonight. 

DareDuck

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:02 AM

DareDuck

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationBend, OR
Was going to hike Sandstone to Boney this morning. Didn't really feel like spending a couple hours along the ridgeline in these winds.

happ

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

Was going to hike Sandstone to Boney this morning. Didn't really feel like spending a couple hours along the ridgeline in these winds.

Wind has lowered considerably compared to yesterday & last night. Even with the windows closed there's a fine layer of dust on everything. Winds should shift to the NE tonight, a more traditional santa ana wind that generally is much less gusty here.