2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Looking at these graphs suggests that rain shadows factor into the on-going drought in northern sections of SoCal. Santa Barbara/ Ventura counties have benefitted from April storms denied us further south. That dry spot in northeast LA county is east of Tehachapi mts; part of Mojave desert.

Locally, Burbank is an excellent example of how southwest flow put the airport in the shadow of Santa Monica mts/ Hollywood Hills.

post-226-0-65157000-1493067488_thumb.png

post-226-0-40477700-1493067520_thumb.png

April so far has been warmer than average, but not too extreme except the last two days. Even days when we reached mid to upper 70s, it was quite breezy. Rather boring spring so far, even for California.

It has been very boring and dry this spring so far. There has hardly been any convective activity due to the lack of spring storms this year. The big storm in San Diego County in late February was really the last good storm for Socal and it wasn't even that good in Orange and L.A. Counties as the bulk of the activity was to the south. Since March 1, there have only been 3 light rain events here in Orange and a bit of drizzle, and I have seen much heavier rains in May and even June in years past!

This rainy season, despite how wet it was during the winter, has been a lot like 2007-08 as far as the storm patterns go.

It has been very boring and dry this spring so far. There has hardly been any convective activity due to the lack of spring storms this year. The big storm in San Diego County in late February was really the last good storm for Socal and it wasn't even that good in Orange and L.A. Counties as the bulk of the activity was to the south. Since March 1, there have only been 3 light rain events here in Orange and a bit of drizzle, and I have seen much heavier rains in May and even June in years past!

This rainy season, despite how wet it was during the winter, has been a lot like 2007-08 as far as the storm patterns go.

We haven't even been able to squeeze out drizzle but that should change as the marine layer typically develops/ strengthens next month. Dry troughs/ persistent zonal flow but also relatively languid ridges have saved us from intense heat. Windy today.

Monday: 73/ 58

Much better weather this weekend compared to last Fri/Sat. I can't be outside so long when it's around 90 or above unless I'm around water. This week I've been able to hike a lot more. Hiked to Nicholas Flat and it was nice to see the pond completely full. Also hiked Sandstone (Mt. Allen) and it was perfect weather. Also did some smaller hikes around the Los Robles trails and around the Westlake reservoir. Planning to hike to do a more secluded hike off Mulholland east of Kanan tomorrow.

• Like 1

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Much better weather this weekend compared to last Fri/Sat. I can't be outside so long when it's around 90 or above unless I'm around water. This week I've been able to hike a lot more. Hiked to Nicholas Flat and it was nice to see the pond completely full. Also hiked Sandstone (Mt. Allen) and it was perfect weather. Also did some smaller hikes around the Los Robles trails and around the Westlake reservoir. Planning to hike to do a more secluded hike off Mulholland east of Kanan tomorrow.

It was way too hot last Friday and Saturday when it was nearly 90 degrees or slightly above here in Orange. It practically felt like a midsummer afternoon when I was at my cousin's house in Trabuco Canyon last Saturday.

You are doing a lot of hiking. The wind, especially yesterday, stirs up dust/ pollen, making outdoor activity unpleasant if you suffer from hay fever.  Have you spotted any rattlesnakes?

Tuesday: 77/ 57  

You are doing a lot of hiking. The wind, especially yesterday, stirs up dust/ pollen, making outdoor activity unpleasant if you suffer from hay fever. Have you spotted any rattlesnakes?

Tuesday: 77/ 57

I'm on vacation and would much rather hike in the Santa Monica's than do any of the touristy or city stuff. Fortunately the pollen hasn't been a problem for me yet. Even more fortunately we haven't seen or heard any rattlers despite hiking near grassy fields around dusk.

• Like 1

Bend, OR

Snow History:

2017/2018 Winter Temps

I'm on vacation and would much rather hike in the Santa Monica's than do any of the touristy or city stuff. Fortunately the pollen hasn't been a problem for me yet. Even more fortunately we haven't seen or heard any rattlers despite hiking near grassy fields around dusk.

Plus, there is anger over closing Beachwood canyon for those wanting the Hollywood sign selfies:   :rolleyes:

" Rattlesnake season begins with a vengeance in Southern California" http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-rattlesnakes-20170419-story.html

Can't seem to break pattern of high pressure offshore and deep trough over Rockies/ Great Plains. This sets up dry NNE winds for SoCal that is bad news for rising fire conditions. Arizona & New Mexico have already been experiencing wildfires in recent weeks, California is next.

L.A. DOWNTOWN  MOSUNNY   82  45  27 VRB3      29.78F                 

USC is running 5 -10 degrees above nearly every LA/ Orange metro station.  :rolleyes:

San Diego getting some early May Gray this morning, while Orange County never got a solid marine layer. Not going to be as hot today as they were forecasting yesterday.

I get nervous not having a strong marine layer by late April. Its very windy today. May 2014 comes to mind. Hope that doesn't happen.  

Looks like either Fullerton got an offshore wind shift or their thermometer broke. Here it's​ quickly cooling down as it normally does on a spring evening.

LAX (and along the coast through Venice and SM) just went from 64 degrees at 7:25pm to 75 by 8:20pm. I was outside during the wind shift and the temperature change was quite noticeable. Santa Monica Airport (just over a mile inland) hit the daily high of 83 degrees at 4:51pm and remained near 80 until 7:15pm. The sea breeze was really fighting the northerly wind right near the beach, but was finally pushed back.

Interestingly, the forecast is nearly always off for these Northerly winds for my area. On Tuesday we had gusts topping 40mph in the evening here in Santa Monica. They issued a wind advisory for the following night (Wednesday), but there were no winds to speak. Tonight they are again gusting to 30mph+.

• Like 1

Was going to hike Sandstone to Boney this morning. Didn't really feel like spending a couple hours along the ridgeline in these winds.

Bend, OR

Snow History:

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Was going to hike Sandstone to Boney this morning. Didn't really feel like spending a couple hours along the ridgeline in these winds.

Wind has lowered considerably compared to yesterday & last night. Even with the windows closed there's a fine layer of dust on everything. Winds should shift to the NE tonight, a more traditional santa ana wind that generally is much less gusty here.

LAX (and along the coast through Venice and SM) just went from 64 degrees at 7:25pm to 75 by 8:20pm. I was outside during the wind shift and the temperature change was quite noticeable. Santa Monica Airport (just over a mile inland) hit the daily high of 83 degrees at 4:51pm and remained near 80 until 7:15pm. The sea breeze was really fighting the northerly wind right near the beach, but was finally pushed back.

Interestingly, the forecast is nearly always off for these Northerly winds for my area. On Tuesday we had gusts topping 40mph in the evening here in Santa Monica. They issued a wind advisory for the following night (Wednesday), but there were no winds to speak. Tonight they are again gusting to 30mph+.

Welcome to the Forum, Alxz310!

It is amazing how quickly the temperature warms up when the wind shifts from onshore to offshore. I live in a wind-prone location in Orange, in northeastern Orange County not too far from the Santa Ana Canyon, and experience these wind shifts quite often during our Santa Ana season in the fall and early winter. The temperature can rise 8 or even 10 degrees in a half-hour period.

It has been very warm and extremely windy all afternoon/ evening w/ gusts pushing 50mph

83/ 60

The Santa Ana winds have come up here in Orange tonight and are blowing quite strongly right now. They began around 10 p.m. give or take a few minutes. The winds of the past few days have been of the NW variety, which rarely blow strongly here, usually amounting just to the usual daily breezes. However, the wind shift occurred tonight to the NE (Santa Ana) direction, which is why I am now feeling the winds.

I was smelling smoke a while ago (smells like a brush fire) and became quite strong for a time. Fortunately, the smell has diminished over the last half hour or so, even as the wind is still blowing strongly. Hopefully wherever the fire is located, it is being contained. I haven't heard any sirens in the area, so it may be further away than I think it is.

EDIT: I am not smelling any smoke at this moment (2:15 a.m.).

The Santa Ana winds have come up here in Orange tonight and are blowing quite strongly right now. They began around 10 p.m. give or take a few minutes. The winds of the past few days have been of the NW variety, which rarely blow strongly here, usually amounting just to the usual daily breezes. However, the wind shift occurred tonight to the NE (Santa Ana) direction, which is why I am now feeling the winds.

I was smelling smoke a while ago (smells like a brush fire) and became quite strong for a time. Fortunately, the smell has diminished over the last half hour or so, even as the wind is still blowing strongly. Hopefully wherever the fire is located, it is being contained. I haven't heard any sirens in the area, so it may be further away than I think it is.

EDIT: I am not smelling any smoke at this moment (2:15 a.m.).

Normally santa ana winds are much lighter here due to the close proximity of the east-west San Gabriel Mts. unlike the San Fernando/ Santa Clarita valleys and, of-course, Orange county. NNW winds, on the other hand can blast us as they have this week. Last night, I was surprised how strong the NE winds were w/ gusts reported over 35mph and am glad this morning is calm here. 

My concern is the pattern of warm dry winds after months of virtually no rainfall; fire season is not far off as you noticed last night. 

The 0z Euro shows a rare large May rainstorm for pretty much all of CA.

Yes, I have been following the discussion of this cut off low w/ real interest and hope.

It appears the airmass over the Great Basin was cool enough to keep temps below 90F west of transverse range except in a few locations [Pomona]; it was downright cool in Las Vegas [78F] Phoenix [80F], Palm Springs/ Death Valley [89F].  Winds are down; evening is getting cool.

84/ 63

Phil has drawn analogue comparisons to 1993 w/ possible outcome for this summer. A review of 1993 does show similarities w/ this spring's warmth although March 1993 produced nearly 4 inches and the rain year was remarkable for over 15 inches in Jan and close to 10" in Feb; much more than the current rain year in SoCal. Also it rained one day in June in LA w/ over an inch! Winter was cool and of-course quite wet up to March and the start of a very warm spring. Mean temps over 70F/ cooling degree over 200 started in May continued through October. June was hot but July was a pleasant 5 degrees below average. No monsoonal moisture that summer but rain year total was 37.52. I can live through prolonged heat so long as it rains like it has this year especially in NorCal.

The 1990's, in general produced some very warm years in California.

Guest happ

April, like March was very dry and warmer than average.

April 2017

Aver Max: 78.6°/ Norm: 75 

Aver Min: 56.9 / Norm: 54

Mean: 67.7°

Hi/Lo Max: 92/ 68

Hi/Lo Min: 65/ 51

Heating Degree Days: 18

Cooling Degree Days: 107

Rain: 0.03

Rain Year [jul-jun]: 20.10

Days: 1

Guest happ

In Costa Mesa for the week. Spent this afternoon at the beach. It was lovely.

Equally "lovely" in my opinion would be for it to rain later this week.

Monday: 88/ 61

Guest happ

NWS_San Diego

"The big change will be Saturday when a closed upper low approaches 
  from the north and brings much cooler weather along with locally 
  windy conditions in the mountains and deserts. Some moisture will 
  interact with the low, especially Sunday and Monday, possibly 
  Tuesday, and that will combine with instability to bring a chance of 
  showers and possibly thunderstorms. The position of the low, whether 
  it would be inland or a little off the coast, is still uncertain, 
  but a tight upper low with instability and moisture in May could 
  bring strong thunderstorms with hail to parts of southern