2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

San Diego reached 83 today, but Fullerton only hit 88. They would normally be in the mid 90s any time San Diego goes over 80 in June.

Atmospheric River continues over the Pacific Northwest.

I think that is feeding moist air into California; hopefully fire conditions will be helped by the higher dew points.

Caught the weather on the local news last night and they were forecasting 122 for the lower deserts next week.  

Scott's post led me to Google 'Death Valley highest temp' and they say it was 134* on July 10, 1934 - at, aptly named, Furnace Creek.

Some crazy hot readings down there today, and its only going to go up. I see 110 in Redding, 118 in Needles, 111 in Vegas, 115 in Glendale Az, 111 in Phoenix. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

When it comes to 120° temps, California and Arizona are the standard-bearers historically.

This is true (though Nevada has recorded several in the far south), but to me the most impressive 120° temperatures were the ones recorded in North Dakota.

• Like 1

This is true (though Nevada has recorded several in the far south), but to me the most impressive 120° temperatures were the ones recorded in North Dakota.

It seems odd for that kind of heat in the upper Plain states; can you elaborate on what conditions produce such heat that far north?

It seems odd for that kind of heat in the upper Plain states; can you elaborate on what conditions produce such heat that far north?

This can happen from a prolonged land-atmosphere feedback during drought conditions. I can go into more detail, but when the soil gets too dry more of the solar energy goes into heat instead of evaporating water. This allows for very high temperatures and low moisture, which tends to reinforce itself (a feedback). This can lead to very high temperatures in very continental locations. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

This can happen from a prolonged land-atmosphere feedback during drought conditions. I can go into more detail, but when the soil gets too dry more of the solar energy goes into heat instead of evaporating water. This allows for very high temperatures and low moisture, which tends to reinforce itself (a feedback). This can lead to very high temperatures in very continental locations. 

I assumed down-slope wind played a role; I guess not.

Hot temps west of the coastal ranges have been relatively mild since late last week.  Exceptions such as the San Francisco bay area/ Santa Clara valley have recorded triple-digits. Locally it has been warm/ above average but only 10 degrees or so.

93/ 66

Weather West

post-226-0-63132800-1498018792_thumb.jpg

Ventura valleys are also muggy 

*SIMI VALLEY :  89 65 44 W7 29.69S HX 90
*WESTLAKE VILL : 89 66 46 NW1 29.71F HX 92
*OJAI : 97 67 37 CALM 29.66F HX 101