2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

There is the possibility of upper level moisture circling the ridge into SoCal this weekend; that would certainly be considered monsoon-like and keep high dew points.

92/ 69

It was overcast earlier this morning for the first time in quite a while. Today should be cooler than 90F here but intense heat continues further inland w/ unrelenting misery in the Central Valley. Even Sacramento recorded dewpoints in the 70's last night. Swamp coolers don't do well in that kind of humidity. I hope convection increases in the Sierra but fire danger remains high.

Here's one of the reasons the Central Valley is experiencing dewpoints more commonly found in Louisiana than California. Daniel Swain also attributes the "dry" AR flow from 12 days ago for leaving moist air under the ridge.  The state has allowed deep irrigation for agriculture to alleviate water volume in the reservoirs.

almond grove-terranova rancho-fresno

post-226-0-76655200-1498159138_thumb.jpg

Clouds burned off early and then returned to the beaches and a few miles inland this morning, then stayed there pretty much all day. Catalina Island helped to clear northern Orange County beaches. Despite being cloudy almost all day, Lindbergh Field reached 74. Marine layer has been quite unpredictable lately. Probably another few weeks yet before the beaches have consistently sunny afternoons.

Now some mid and high clouds are moving in. Nice change from clear blue sky or gray stratus clouds.

Another strange morning here. At 7 am it was getting bright looking like the sun was about to break through the low clouds. Then it got really gloomy until about 8 am and low clouds cleared about 8:30 am.

Must have been the high clouds passing over that made it dark.

Inversion is an incredible 16 degrees Celsius today.

Another strange morning here. At 7 am it was getting bright looking like the sun was about to break through the low clouds. Then it got really gloomy until about 8 am and low clouds cleared about 8:30 am.

Must have been the high clouds passing over that made it dark.

Inversion is an incredible 16 degrees Celsius today.

Inversion has well exceeded 20 degrees recently. I am looking forward to subtropical clouds w/ rain [at least in the higher elevations] as the monsoon develops.

Thunderstorms in NorCal yesterday 

El Dorado Hills- Sacramento

post-226-0-54595800-1498322626_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If models maintain agreement then we will be under the trough of coolness. Manna from heaven esp for Inland areas including deserts].

It was 82F an hour ago; fairly strong onshore winds in my walk. Currently: 78.8

post-226-0-01835400-1498327447_thumb.gif

• Like 1

It's hot here in Lake Forest. How can Downtown L.A. be 69 after reaching 75 earlier this morning?

Even Lindbergh Field is 73.

Clouds and fairly strong wind. Still cloudy/ cool but the cirrostratus is moving north. Stubborn stratus at the coast for the most part.

*SAN RAFAEL HI   N/A     72  60  66 S10         N/A                

• Like 1

Clouds and fairly strong wind. Still cloudy/ cool but the cirrostratus is moving north. Stubborn stratus at the coast for the most part.

*SAN RAFAEL HI   N/A     72  60  66 S10         N/A                

It went from 82 to 72 in one hour and then back up to 82. That is strange.

UCI was cool and breezy, but sunny. Marine layer clouds were visible towards the coast.

• Like 1

Less marine layer this morning, but the intense inland heat will likely keep the beaches chilly overcast skies or not. Still hoping to see Palm Springs reach 124 F today or more. They were higher than forecast yesterday and are warmer than yesterday morning at this time.

Meanwhile it looks like Arizona has lots of monsoonal moisture.

• Like 1

Less marine layer this morning, but the intense inland heat will likely keep the beaches chilly overcast skies or not. Still hoping to see Palm Springs reach 124 F today or more. They were higher than forecast yesterday and are warmer than yesterday morning at this time.

Meanwhile it looks like Arizona has lots of monsoonal moisture.

Morning dew points are in the 50's or lower in Arizona currently but the low 70's in Imperial Valley and generally 60's elsewhere in SoCal. Humidity needs to rise in Arizona/ New Mexico to kick the monsoon into full swing [that won't happen this week]. I can't say I like high dewpoints but can tolerate humidity if it means summer rainfall. 

• Like 1

Laughlin was 118 yesterday. I remember being there in weather just about as hot as that, but the Colorado River was probably as cold as the Pacific Ocean, like mid 60s water temperature. So basically you'd go from the fiery furnace to freezing cold, but once you got out of the water, in a few minutes you were dry and hot again. Gotta wonder if the river ever gets a mist or thin fog over it during the night with such a contrast in temperatures, especially in the areas where it is a mile wide. I think the air temperature in the middle of the river could be about 5-10 degrees cooler than the land on some days.

On the other hand Lake Havasu can have water temperatures in the 80s or low 90s. That was a different summer though and I think it was later in the year.

I also remember being in Laughlin at a time when the river was warmer, but probably still mid 70s water temperature. That was also probably later in the summer.

• Like 1

I am a little puzzled by how hot it was today in areas close by but much cooler here. Burbank is a mere 10 miles west of my location but was 15 degrees hotter @ 111F. Nearby Pasadena hit triple-digits [100°] but normally is several degrees warmer than my station.

96/ 66

• Like 1

NWS_LA explained how they underestimated offshore north wind surfacing in the San Fernando valley yesterday resulting in widespread maximums between 100-111F. I actually thought for a second that the hourly condition reports were incorrect since Burbank can be seen from my home in the foothills and I was observing mid 90's less than 10 miles away. One reason is that the San Gabriel mountains served as an obstacle and the wind was actually blowing from the southwest here w/ dewpoints in low 60's while north wind lowered dewpoints radically and raised the temp in the San Fernando valley. 

There was a light north wind last night keeping minimum in the 70's; another hot day but cooling is coming soon.  

L: 75 [warmest minimum this year]

• Like 1

PALM SPRINGS SUNNY 93 68 43 SE8 29.91S HX 97
THOUSAND PALMS N/A 92 69 46 SE8 29.86R HX 96
PALM DESERT N/A 94 71 46 SE1 31.99S HX 101
THERMAL SUNNY 93 70 46 SE8 29.85S HX 99
BLYTHE SUNNY 100 60 26 S15 29.87S HX 100
IMPERIAL AP SUNNY 94 73 50 CALM 29.84S HX 103
EL CENTRO NAS MOSUNNY 95 68 41 CALM 29.86S HX 99
YUMA AZ MOSUNNY 96 64 34 S8 29.87S HX 98
MEXICALI MOSUNNY 91 72 52 S6 29.86F HX 98