2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

I have friends from Vegas who complain about humidity when visiting LA. It has been raining in southern Nevada/ eastern California this morning. Dew points in the mid 70's for Las Vegas are rare. 

LAS VEGAS, NV CLOUDY 76 75 97 S7 30.07S 

Since the bed is next to a large window I can look at the sky and though groggy it sure looked overcast around sunrise. Fell back to sleep and woke up again to clear skies an hour later. Satellite images show a brief intrusion of stratus all the way into the San Gabriel valley. Otherwise a warm/ humid morning due to SST in the 70's

Since the bed is next to a large window I can look at the sky and though groggy it sure looked overcast around sunrise. Fell back to sleep and woke up again to clear skies an hour later. Satellite images show a brief intrusion of stratus all the way into the San Gabriel valley. Otherwise a warm/ humid morning due to SST in the 70's

You don't have blinds or curtains?

You don't have blinds or curtains?

Yes but never use them.  I face Mt Wilson and see the North Star/ Polaris above the San Gabriel mts. at night. It is a large screened window w/ a cat door that is fully open unless AC is on. I can hear crickets and birds/ coyotes all night but most importantly observe the sky nonstop.

No stratus this morning but it felt comfortable overnight.  

Tropical eastern Pacific currently has 8 systems/ depressions. Some discussion on 09E [Hilary] possibly moving northwest toward California later this month.

90/ 66

11 years ago on July 22, 2006, it was one of the hottest, most humid days in Southern California history. Sea surface temperatures reached 80 F, but cooled off quite a bit in early August that year. San Diego had nights in the mid 70s that July, but by September many places had nighttime lows in the 50s. That was a strange year.

Some cumulus build-ups over the San Gabriel mts disappeared quickly but Arizona is lighting up all over this evening. The monsoon energy is forecast to move west tonight/ tomorrow.

90/ 67

11 years ago on July 22, 2006, it was one of the hottest, most humid days in Southern California history. Sea surface temperatures reached 80 F, but cooled off quite a bit in early August that year. San Diego had nights in the mid 70s that July, but by September many places had nighttime lows in the 50s. That was a strange year.

The most humid and warmest lows was on July 19/20, 2015 and October 13th, 2015 with dew points of 70°F and the morning lows of 70°F.

Marine layer stratus in Santa Maria this morning.

Mr Marine Layer points out that stratus cleared overnight along the coast in SoCal. High clouds often interfere/ disrupt coastal low clouds so Santa Maria will likely clear up as the humid airmass moves into California today. 

• Like 1

Mr Marine Layer points out that stratus cleared overnight along the coast in SoCal. High clouds often interfere/ disrupt coastal low clouds so Santa Maria will likely clear up as the humid airmass moves into California today.

Dew points are already starting climb, the dp is currently 58° up from 54°F at 6AM. Looks like it is getting more humid despite the marine layer clouds.

Edited by Thunder98

Dew points are already starting climb, the dp is currently 58° up from 54°F at 6AM. Looks like it is getting more humid despise the marine layer clouds.

I recall Santa Maria/ San Luis Obispo reached 70° DP a while back. Even Sacramento was that humid w/ triple-digit temps in June. Early summer was brutal in NorCal

ADD: 10AM

Light rain: Oceanside/ Ramona/ Corona/ Palmdale

• Like 1

Dew points are already starting climb, the dp is currently 58° up from 54°F at 6AM. Looks like it is getting more humid despise the marine layer clouds.

I think despise isn't a strong enough word for Mr Marine Layer's feelings on them.

I think despise isn't a strong enough word for Mr Marine Layer's feelings on them.

Mark Nelsen seems to agree with him based on his post last week.   

http://www.kptv.com/link/492613/fox-12-weather-blog

But what I’ve really noticed is the sunshine.  It seems like almost every morning I’ve been waking up to sunshine (or at least partly cloudy skies) since the 3rd week of June.  I don’t care if highs only make it into the low-mid 70s; a sunny start to a day really raises my mood!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

But what I’ve really noticed is the sunshine. It seems like almost every morning I’ve been waking up to sunshine (or at least partly cloudy skies) since the 3rd week of June. I don’t care if highs only make it into the low-mid 70s; a sunny start to a day really raises my mood!

Mark Nelsen has a warm season warm bias?!? This changes everything!!!

But what I’ve really noticed is the sunshine. It seems like almost every morning I’ve been waking up to sunshine (or at least partly cloudy skies) since the 3rd week of June. I don’t care if highs only make it into the low-mid 70s; a sunny start to a day really raises my mood!

Nelsen is a master troll.

A forum for the end of the world.

Areas in San Diego county received some fairly impressive storms [Mt Laguna: 0.72] otherwise rainfall was generally under 0.15 if any. Trace downtown. But the clouds allowed the maximum to tie 7/1/17 for coolest temp this month so far though very muggy.

82/ 68