2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

It always gets windy here at night after a pretty calm day. I'm not sure why the wind picks up after dark here in the desert, when in Orange County it dies down. Possibly due to areas west of the mountains cooling off faster than the desert.

When I was here in May, we had 3 very windy days with the 6000 ft deep marine layer filling the San Gorgonio Pass all day and hanging over the mountains like waves. Any marine layer clouds that did manage to make it over the mountains would evaporate quickly after hitting the dry desert air. In the evening, it would really cool off.

Temperature was down to 88 after sunset here, and that may sound miserable to many, but with the dry air and breezy conditions, it felt great. Not the swampy weather the East Coast gets.

I took photos from my cell phone but it didn't pick up the eclipse. Its filtered light; the temp did drop a few degrees. A total eclipse would be awesome like the Weather Channel showed in Madras Oregon.  

No eclipse glasses available, but I did make a pinhole projector. Puddles also work nicely for reflecting the image of the sun, and there were lots of them here by the pool. Morning temperatures in the desert were rather bearable as well. There were lots of crescent shadows between leaves of trees as well.

Looks like marine layer cleared out nicely down there.

Channel 5/ KTLA spent the morning up at the Griffith Park Observatory where lots of families/ kids waited on the lawn for hours. It was funny listening to children ask "what eclipse" and parents complain of having to stand in line for 90 minutes just to buy special glasses. Expecting a total eclipse like in Oregon :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Smoky smell this morning in Rancho Mirage. 90 degrees already, but in the shade it feels pleasant with the dewpoint of 44.

Fire season isn't too bad especially in SoCal so far

post-226-0-18798400-1503420211_thumb.jpg

Stratus finally reached foothills an hour or more after sunrise. Gentle June Gloom and a good time to irrigate gardens. This has been a nice cool period I hate to see go away w/ troughs. Going into the weekend, monsoonal prospects don't look particularly strong at this point.

Fire season isn't too bad especially in SoCal so far

I heard something about a fire a couple of days in San Diego County that wasn't shown on that graphic, but you are certainly right that fire season has been relatively quiet in Socal this summer so far. Hopefully it remains that way as we transition into fall, and we get some early season rain that keeps the Santa Ana wind portion of fire season in check.

I heard something about a fire a couple of days in San Diego County that wasn't shown on that graphic, but you are certainly right that fire season has been relatively quiet in Socal this summer so far. Hopefully it remains that way as we transition into fall, and we get some early season rain that keeps the Santa Ana wind portion of fire season in check.

Yes, there was a serious fire in Santa Barbara county/ Lake Cachuma earlier this summer but nothing since. Autumn is the worst time for fires. I hope we have an early/ copious rain season this year.

Not sure why Camp Pendleton (57 F) has been consistently much cooler than other San Diego Coastal areas (mostly mid to upper 60s), but it's been like that for a long time

For one thing Camp Pendleton is much more rural (uninhabited) compared to the rest of the region so the urban heat island isn't much of a factor. Secondly, the Santa Ana Mountains cross the NW portion of the base and depending on where the temperature sensor is located, it may be influenced by cold air drainage coming off the mountains leading to a lower reading.