2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Lol.

How is the upcoming period expected to affect you guys? Sounds like it's already thickening up the marine layer.

I've reported you. If you want to discuss California weather you are welcome to stay.

You're joking right? :lol: Mr. Marine layer comes onto the PNW forum and talks about us being whiny babies waiting for the rain to come, but I'm guessing no one has reported him.

And yes, I'm actually interested in what impacts the upcoming trough will have on you guys. I read this sub-forum every day even though I rarely post.

Last word. There's a reason why some California weather people do not post on Weather Forum.

Because Mr. Marine layer tells them their posts are too technical? :)

The point is that the marine layer is an integral part of the climate in SoCal. It may rightly not compare to the actual PacificNW fronts that produce it but to trivialize stratus sounds very condescending.

I think you are misreading me then. I track the marine layer like nobody's business all summer up here. I don't think I'm above that.

I just found it ironic that somebody who only posts about one thing all time time decided to discourage someone else from posting, someone who actually has some valuable (and variable) input if you wish to read between the lines.

I post on the Midwest, Pac NW and the California sub forums.

• Like 1

I think you are misreading me then. I track the marine layer like nobody's business all summer up here. I don't think I'm above that.

I just found it ironic that somebody who only posts about one thing all time time decided to discourage someone else from posting, someone who actually has some valuable (and variable) input if you wish to read between the lines.

California weather really is quite boring when for half of the year the only feature of the forecast is how far inland the stratus clouds will make it and when they will burn off. I do talk about monsoon activity when we get it here or post pictures of nice sunsets when we get them.

And what weather topics do our other California posters talk about that I don't?

California weather really is quite boring when for half of the year the only feature of the forecast is how far inland the stratus clouds will make it and when they will burn off. I do talk about monsoon activity when we get it here or post pictures of nice sunsets when we get them.

And what weather topics do our other California posters talk about that I don't?

My favorite summer nights living near the Santa Monica mountains involved driving up to Circle X if the marine layer was around 2000' and hiking Sandstone under a full moon. It's a purple and orange collage underneath you from the mix of city lights and dark uninhabited areas. You can see the lights of Camarillo out to Simi, Thousand Oaks, Agoura, the valley and Malibu. Needless to say the 2km fog satellite was open more than the vis on my computer.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

My favorite summer nights living near the Santa Monica mountains involved driving up to Circle X if the marine layer was around 2000' and hiking Sandstone under a full moon. It's a purple and orange collage underneath you from the mix of city lights and dark uninhabited areas. You can see the lights of Camarillo out to Simi, Thousand Oaks, Agoura, the valley and Malibu. Needless to say the 2km fog satellite was open more than the vis on my computer.

That sounds pretty cool.

Good news/ bad news is MOS #'s for minimums [accuracy has been poor]. Bad news is ridging.

Pasadena
    PTCLDY   MOCLDY   SUNNY    PTCLDY   SUNNY    SUNNY    SUNNY   
      /79           60/73         56/78       56/81        58/89      61/92      61/92   
       /00          10/20        10/10        00/00        00/00      00/00      00/00  

Good news/ bad news is MOS #'s for minimums [accuracy has been poor]. Bad news is ridging.

Pasadena

PTCLDY   MOCLDY   SUNNY    PTCLDY   SUNNY    SUNNY    SUNNY   

/79           60/73         56/78       56/81        58/89      61/92      61/92   

/00          10/20        10/10        00/00        00/00      00/00      00/00

Why is a ridge bad news? NWS says it will not be impressively hot.

Enough of this June Gloom weather in Semptember already.

Northeast winds will develop Sunday through and below the mountain passes into the inland valleys, mainly below Cajon Pass. Winds don`t appear overly strong, although top spots around Rialto could gust to 40 mph during the mornings through Tuesday. Skies will turn crystal clear and humidity will go way down. Temperatures will climb each day next week, into the 80s and lower 90s at lower elevations by Tuesday. The warmup will be most notable west of the mountains as would be expected with offshore flow, but the dry air and the cool nights will make the warm weather fairly comfortable.

Why is a ridge bad news? NWS says it will not be impressively hot.

Enough of this June Gloom weather in Semptember already.

Long list:

Haven't had to use AC for quite a while

Irrigation is less necessary

Comfortable sleeping conditions

Less wild fires that are more easily extinguished

Popular demand

Summer heat isn't over for another month unless we luck out

Today was nice: 78/ 65

This has really been a nice stretch of weather here in Socal for doing garden projects after that heatwave we had earlier in the month. It appears the first fall storm / cold front of the season will pass through the area tomorrow bringing a few light showers. After that a ridge will build in with surface high pressure over the Great Basin, possibly producing the first Santa Ana of the season.

This is a very typical fall sequence of events, except that it is 2-3 weeks earlier than normal, but then again, this summer started about 2-3 weeks early in the first place.

Happy Fall Eve. We will see how much rain we get today. It won't be anything like Portland or Seattle got.

Even though it may seem trivial to some PacificNW posters but this morning's rainfall was a welcome sight. The smell and sound of rain was a great wakeup call.