2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Marine layer fog was knocking on our door this morning.

It is definitely raising dewpoints under the fog. Still lightly offshore in LA

FULLERTON      CLOUDY    61  60  97 E5        29.95R FOG       

L.A. DOWNTOWN  SUNNY     64  28  25 N3        29.95R                 

UCLA            N/A     70  18  13 NE3       29.93S    

SAN RAFAEL HI   N/A     71  12  10 CALM        N/A          

The dewpoints rose quickly last evening, which should be helping some with the fire. It's a good thing this was not a prolonged Santa Ana Wind event.

I still remember Laguna Beach in 1993. The whole Western sky was red that night from Lake Forest and my piano teacher's husband said it was coming here.

I remember the Laguna Beach fire as well. I was in college at the time and I could see the fire from the top of one of the buildings on campus if I remember correctly.

The Canyon Fire Two was very close to my area here in Orange, and I was under the smoke plume smelling smoke all day long. This fire came the closest to my area in the 22 years that I have lived at this location, and I was really nervous yesterday regarding the situation. I really thought that my area was going to be under mandatory evacuation, but luckily that was not the case. 

It was a good thing this Santa Ana event was as brief as it was. If this were a stronger or longer lasting event, things would have likely been a whole lot worse and many more homes would have likely been burned as well.

I am getting the feeling we are due for a back loaded winter season for a change, with a drier fall and a wetter winter lasting into the early spring. We have had a wetter fall and early winter pattern in recent years, followed by a drier than normal late February to April period. March has been rather warm to downright hot at times over the last few years, with March 2015 in particular standing out. In other words, we are due for a wetter second half of winter, including a more active and wetter March.

I also recall the Laguna Beach fire along with some serious fires near my area. The smell of smoke is an immediate alarm especially for those living in/near east/ west oriented foothills w/ open woodlands nearby. The 2009 fire above Pasadena/ La Canada was a recent scary event. The La Tuna fire last month was also close by. But during a classic santa ana episode in autumn I am actually protected by the San Gabriel mountains. High pressure building in Nevada produces a northeast wind into California. The Sierras block the wind from the Central Valley but in SoCal the transverse ranges funnel the winds to the Santa Clarita valley/ Ventura county and down Cajon Pass/ Inland Empire, spilling into the Santa Ana pass/ northern Orange county. Pasadena, on the other hand is often fairly calm/ low-speed east wind, a steady breeze. We open all the windows at night; I have yet to put a blanket on the bed. If the High shifts into the Southwest the east wind is stronger here. 

I am getting the feeling we are due for a back loaded winter season for a change, with a drier fall and a wetter winter lasting into the early spring. We have had a wetter fall and early winter pattern in recent years, followed by a drier than normal late February to April period. March has been rather warm to downright hot at times over the last few years, with March 2015 in particular standing out. In other words, we are due for a wetter second half of winter, including a more active and wetter March.

ENSO favors a cool winter, it seems. I'm hoping that AR events regularly occur.

• Like 1

Strange looking marine layer this morning. It could be partially due to smoke. Canyon Fire 2 containment expected by Saturday, just in time for more dangerous Santa Ana Winds.

Though October and June have similar monthly average temperatures marine cloud patterns are generally quite different. And Santa Ana winds don't occur in June. Too bad all the rainfall in the Northwest isn't making any headway into northern California.

The high today was 87F. The low this morning was 46F. Large diurnal range today again.

San Luis Obispo/ Santa Maria area was under down slope north winds. One of the warmer areas today outside low desert.

80/ 59

Hot in San Diego

BROWN FIELD    SUNNY     97  29   9 S6        30.06F                 
MIRAMAR MCAS   MOSUNNY   99  26   7 VRB5      30.06F                 
MONTGOMERY FLD SUNNY     98  20   6 CALM      30.06F         

A lot of bummed Californians over model forecasts that continue to diminish rainfall chances this week and the month. But October is never a reliably wet month and periodic heatwaves are almost a given until November.  Triple-digit maximums in parts of San Diego/ Orange county today.

94/ 68     

• Like 1

This is encouraging per NWS_LA

"Still closely monitoring the moisture to our south. The NAM has
  been the most aggressive with it, pulling up quite a bit of
  mid and upper level moisture up around the west side of the ridge
  axis and through SLO County Tuesday afternoon into early 
  Wednesday. Quite a bit less noted on the GFS/ECMWF solutions but 
  at least enough for partly cloudy skies. We`re seeing quite a bit 
  of lightning associated with that moisture and the NAM does show 
  at least some elevated CAPE coming in at that time as well. For 
  now am going to stick with pops around 10 and see how it holds 
  together as it moves north tonight. Based on the NAM the best 
  chances for any precip would be north of Pt Conception and can`t 
  rule out some elevated convection. It`s so dry still at lower 
  levels though that we might just see virga or maybe a few 
  sprinkles reaching the ground. If the instability aloft holds 
  together there would be a concern for dry lightning so will keep 
  a close eye on that. The NAM also shows some elevated CAPE across 
  the coastal waters south of Pt Conception Tuesday night into 
  early Wednesday as the short wave comes through but with less 
  moisture to work with. Again will just monitor for now and see how
  this all evolves over the next 12-24 hours."

Watching the Mt Wilson fire this morning. Thankfully winds are light and water drops are making good progress so far. Looking forward to cooler temps but another ridge is forecast by late in the week that may produce even hotter conditions.

L.A. DOWNTOWN  SUNNY     92  32  12 VRB6      29.96F                 
L.A. AIRPORT   MOSUNNY   78  63  59 W13       29.98F                 
REDONDO BEACH   N/A     78  64  63 SW5       29.97F                 

Nice dewpoint recovery and onshore wind at the coast.

Its sprinkling outside and it smells like rain!

Little bit of elevated convection from the tropics may be the only rainfall for Santa Maria this month since the GOA trough looks to be trending further north Thursday/ Friday.

Another hot day and night down here

96/ 73