Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply

happ

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4561 posts
  • LocationRancho San Rafael [ele: 910'] °

It is amazing how many tropical looking plants that can grow in almost frost free locales of coastal Socal. Like you said, some tropicals don't grow well outdoors here due to cold nights and/or low humidity and besides the palms you mentioned, this category would include many orchid species, Anthuriums, and Crotons. However, spider plants, many dracaenas, Cordylines, and even Spathiphyllums and pothos will grow well outdoors in a patio environment.

Despite the cold snap in January 2007, I don't recall losing any tropical plants in my yard, because I think my area actually remained above freezing due to being on the top of a slight slope on one side and a drop on the other.

If you create an overstory canopy many tropicals will do fine even in areas that occasionally get frost. But long periods of wet soil during winter can cause damage. 

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:39 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1606 posts
  • LocationLake Forest, CA

It is a cooler day today, but tomorrow should be slightly warmer and it will be 2018. Driest water year on record is becoming more and more possible.

I miss the Jib Jab Year in Review videos. No matter what happened during the year, they would make them funny. Any other Year in Review videos on YouTube are depressing.

happ

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4561 posts

It is tough to end the year like this; the least amount of rain from July to Dec. many areas have ever recorded locally. Additionally, anomalous warmth may be record breaking [certainly well above anything I have observed here going back to 1995].

DEC 2017

Aver Max: 74.9/ Norm: 68

Aver Min: 54.9/ Norm: 51

Mean: 64.9

MaxHi/Lo: 87/ 61

MinHi/Lo: 64/ 46

Heating Degree Days: 69

Cooling Degree Days: 76

Rain: 0.00

Total [jul-jun]: 0.22

• Dan the Weatherman likes this

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1368 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

It is tough to end the year like this; the least amount of rain from July to Dec. many areas have ever recorded locally. Additionally, anomalous warmth may be record breaking [certainly well above anything I have observed here going back to 1995].

DEC 2017

Aver Max: 74.9/ Norm: 68

Aver Min: 54.9/ Norm: 51

Mean: 64.9

MaxHi/Lo: 87/ 61

MinHi/Lo: 64/ 46

Heating Degree Days: 69

Cooling Degree Days: 76

Rain: 0.00

Total [jul-jun]: 0.22

You have summed it up quite well. The low in the upper 80's I experienced in late October during a particularly warm Santa Ana wind event is the highest low temperature I have ever seen for my area here in Orange, and that beats out any low set on a hot muggy August night or a night during a brutal September heatwave.

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:15 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1606 posts
  • LocationLake Forest, CA
A 2018 thread will need to be created for California. New York rang in the new year with a temperature of 10 F.

happ

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:26 PM

happ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4561 posts

You have summed it up quite well. The low in the upper 80's I experienced in late October during a particularly warm Santa Ana wind event is the highest low temperature I have ever seen for my area here in Orange, and that beats out any low set on a hot muggy August night or a night during a brutal September heatwave.

I truly am wondering if California is cursed but then I look at the positive departures in places like Alaska/ Arctic and soberly realize the extent of global warming. Looking back 4-5 years you see examples of extremely high temperatures occurring in winter/ spring: Jan 2014 average max: 76.3°, March 2015 aver max : 81.0, Feb 2016: 79.5°. Very warm and humid summers. And with the exception of last year's rain total, every year has experienced well below or barely normal rainfall since 2011. 

This winter's Baja ridge hasn't allowed any kind of moisture though some areas lucked out on monsoon showers [ie. Palm Springs] last summer. Pacific NW is relatively dry also but w/ at least intrusions of modified arctic air on occasion. I don't want extreme cold only because California agriculture is so important but it would be nice for some sub 40° minimums. Last minimums in the 30's were in Jan 2013 [3 nights in a row].

• Dan the Weatherman likes this

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:31 AM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1368 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Happy New Year everyone! Let's hope the New Year will bring us a positive change in the overall weather pattern so that we finally get beneficial rain and mountain snow statewide.

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:44 AM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1368 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

I truly am wondering if California is cursed but then I look at the positive departures in places like Alaska/ Arctic and soberly realize the extent of global warming. Looking back 4-5 years you see examples of extremely high temperatures occurring in winter/ spring: Jan 2014 average max: 76.3°, March 2015 aver max : 81.0, Feb 2016: 79.5°. Very warm and humid summers. And with the exception of last year's rain total, every year has experienced well below or barely normal rainfall since 2011. 

This winter's Baja ridge hasn't allowed any kind of moisture though some areas lucked out on monsoon showers [ie. Palm Springs] last summer. Pacific NW is relatively dry also but w/ at least intrusions of modified arctic air on occasion. I don't want extreme cold only because California agriculture is so important but it would be nice for some sub 40° minimums. Last minimums in the 30's were in Jan 2013 [3 nights in a row].

I have been saying this from time to time over on Weather West. That is, I am really beginning to believe that the industrialization of Asia, particularly China and India, during the last 20 years has led to insane amounts of emissions and pollution that is affecting the Arctic region, causing a lot of this recent warmth and ice melt. I know that there has been a slow warming trend in the past from emissions such as CO2 going back further, but it seems that the warming and melting has really accelerated starting in the late 1990's and especially the 2000's to the present. There has been a huge amount of manufacturing that has been outsourced from the United States and other Western countries since the 1990's and the timing of all this seems to correlate with the rapid warming. As a result of this manufacturing, there have been more coal plants built, and the amount of coal burning going on in Asia has skyrocketed in recent years, which is one of the main reasons the air quality has been so awful in the large metro areas of China and India.

The warming of the Arctic I feel has led to changes in our climate here in CA, and all this very warm and drier than normal weather in recent years I believe is a result of this in one way or another. This is all simply an opinion of mine, but the more I see things, the more compelling it is becoming to me.

• happ likes this