2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Outlook is gloomy for the Dodgers tonight regarding their chances to win the World Series.

However, for most people here "gloomy" means a reason to be happy, as the gloomy weather this week has been improving their moods. So there's a reason to be happy tonight for most Dodgers fans here given the Dodgers small chances of winning it all.

One of the warmest Octobers but cooler mean than 2015. Rain on the last day of the month.

October 2017

Max: 86.1 / Norm: 80°

Min: 65.2 / Norm: 61°

Mean: 75.6

MaxHi/Lo: 103/ 68

MinHi/Lo: 83/ 58

CDD: 332

HDD: .05

Rain: 0.08

Total [jul-jun]: 0.20

Days: 1

Seriously we could set a new record for number of consecutive days with a deep marine layer and chances of morning drizzle. They don't keep track of things like that, but it's been a lot more like mid-May recently than late October/early November.

For Californians who enjoy this kind of weather, you would be much happier moving to Seattle.

Anyway storm for the weekend has been delayed and weakened. I would not be surprised if some areas got no rain at all.

I'm looking forward to some sunny days and clear nights with highs in the 70s and lows in the upper 40s or low 50s. Going for a walk last night it was so damp outside I had to change my clothes when I got home because I was soaked in sweat. Really guys? This is your ideal kind of weather?

Got some light rain overnight, but that has stopped for now.

NWS_LA reported a quarter of an inch in some beach communities also while radar did not detect this sporadic moisture. Remained dry here but a few days ago I recorded 0.08 overnight when other areas fairly close by did not. The southwest flow is responsible for these cloudy and moist days that I hope last into next week.  

Earliest solar noon of the year today (disregarding Daylight Saving Time). From now on we will be losing more daylight in the mornings than the evenings.

Fall Equinox - Sunrise: 6:39 AM, Sunset: 6:46 PM (5:39 AM - 5:46 PM Standard Time)

Today - Sunrise: 7:10 AM, Sunset: 5:57 PM (6:10 AM - 4:57 PM Standard Time)

Winter Solstice: Sunrise: 6:51 AM, Sunset: 4:46 PM

You're getting your treat this week. All the gloom you could ever wish for to cheer you up. Why haven't you moved to Seattle yet?

Unfair comparison by over 1000 miles of latitude. When Seattle is wet/ cold, LA is dry/ warm. When Seattle is dry/ warm LA is dry/warm. During the baseball playoffs I noticed Houston got plenty warm like here followed by a frontal system that produced minimum of 35F on 10/29. And over 3 inches of rainfall during October. 

Temperature has more or less been in the 60's day/ night for 4-5 days, dew points in the 50's. light wind and misty at times. These are ideal conditions to me considering it was 100F windy/ dusty at times just a week ago.

Well I gotta agree last week was a little too hot, and maybe up where you live, which is little less urban, it is dustier too. Also it's no fun worrying that a fire may start up and consume a whole city overnight.

But there's a reason some people from the PNW and Northern states get winter homes in Phoenix. They love the sunshine. I don't like when it's so gloomy that it's as dark an hour before sunset as it would be 20 minutes after sunset on a clear night. My dog also loves to lie in the sun.

However, typical early November weather is mid 70s and sunny, not 107 and dusty. So it all depends what you hate more, cold weather or hot weather.

My mom also gets sick very easily so we always keep our house really warm in winter. So I have never really been accustomed to cool weather. I also like to see real rain and not just some spotty drizzle that amounts to nothing, and does not green up the hills. But it's enough of this May Gray in November. If it has to be cool and cloudy, we need some real rain. And real storms usually wipe out the marine layer and are followed by beautiful cool, crisp, clear weather.

The trouble with our climate is the lack of weather. Each model run delays/ diminishes rainfall but zonal flow keeps the probability of precipitation into next week.

MrMarineLayer; your issue is clouds not temps, it appears [beach concessionaires also hate overcast days].

Thursday: 66/ 60

Outlook is pathetic for us but Bay Area did fairly well [under 1"]. Have to remind myself that November isn't a particularly wet month; aver of just 1.04 @ USC. 

L: 56 [coolest minimum since 6/12]

Got some rain here, but nothing too impressive.

Now that we're back on Standard Time, sunrise is 6:13 AM and sunset is 4:54 PM in Lake Forest. The sunset will only get down to 4:42 PM, bottoming out around December 4, so evenings don't get much darker than now. Next day with a later sunset than today is January 3, 2018. Sunrise will reach 6:56 AM around January 7, 2018. Next day with an earlier sunrise than today is March 6, 2018, less than a week before Daylight Saving Time returns.

Got some rain here, but nothing too impressive.

Now that we're back on Standard Time, sunrise is 6:13 AM and sunset is 4:54 PM in Lake Forest. The sunset will only get down to 4:42 PM, bottoming out around December 4, so evenings don't get much darker than now. Next day with a later sunset than today is January 3, 2018. Sunrise will reach 6:56 AM around January 7, 2018. Next day with an earlier sunrise than today is March 6, 2018, less than a week before Daylight Saving Time returns.

Brian Brettschneider@Climatologist49

post-226-0-96357700-1509995859_thumb.jpg

Sunrise now just 14 minutes past 6:00 AM while sunset is 67 minutes earlier than 6:00 PM. You can blame that on

(1) The Equation of Time maxing out in early November, making Greenwich solar noon 16.5 minutes earlier than clock noon.

(2) California being too far east for its time zone.

Together they bring solar noon to 11:34 AM in Lake Forest at this time of year. Now the sun is in my eyes watching for the bus in the morning and the sun is setting at the time of the afternoon bus. It was nice to wake up in full daylight this morning, however.

By Christmas the Equation of Time reaches 0 minutes, pulling Greenwich solar noon to 12 PM and Lake Forest solar noon to 11:50 AM. By February 11, Greenwich solar noon is 14 minutes later than clock noon.

Overall it's over a 30 minute shift of daylight from morning to evening.

Keeping my fingers crossed  :)

http://mammothweather.com/2017/11/08/drier-than-normal-weather-pattern-for-the-southern-23-of-california-likley-to-continue-as-upper-jet-is-focused-over-northern-ca-expect-periods-of-wind-and-a-chance-of-snow-showers-thursday-and-aga/

There is some hope in the longer range models this morning as the new 11/8/17 12Z GFS control is showing more consolidated flow coming off Asia after mid month. At the same time, there is plenty of blocking in the -WPO region near the dateline.  The are an increasing number of ensembles in the GFS showing some under cutting of the westerlies with the formation of a Kona Low developing around the 18th of November. It is possible that moisture may get picked up from this area by a deep positive tilt, long wave trof extending SW from British Columbia around the 20th/21st. If this does come together, it would be more of a southern latitude system with a tropical connection or “AR” with fairly high snow levels for Central CA.  This may be followed by a colder system about the 23rd with the upper jet over Central CA as well.

For what ever its worth, the climate model,  the CFSv2  is showing the period  during week 2, which covers the 20th wet for Central CA.

Stay Tuned…the Dweebs got you covered!…….:-)