2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

January was very wet here in Orange as well with 9.50" for the month and a season to date total (since July 1) of 16.34".

Dan, could you share your observation of SW rain effects via Santa Ana mountains? 

Dan, could you share your observation of SW rain effects via Santa Ana mountains? 

On the Weather West blog, I noticed that two bloggers, one from Redlands and one from Ontario had about a 3 inch difference in their January rainfall totals. I decided to look at the map and realized that Redlands is directly NE of the two highest peaks of the Santa Ana Mountains, nicknamed Saddleback, which consists of Modjeska Peak and Santiago Peak, while Ontario is NE of the Chino Hills, which are of much lower elevation. Since the flow has been out of the SW in many systems this year, I figured that Redlands is being rain shadowed to some extent by the Santa Ana Mountains. Also when I have traveled down the I-15 from Corona to Temecula, I have always noticed just how much drier the terrain is around and just to the north of Lake Elsinore than it is further south toward Murrieta and Temecula or further north in Corona. Some of the hills to the east of I-15 in this area practically look like desert, as opposed to the chaparral more typically seen in other similar areas. I believe the high peaks of Saddleback provide a more severe rain shadow to this immediate area, making it a drier microclimate compared to the Corona area and the Murrieta / Temecula area.

On the Weather West blog, I noticed that two bloggers, one from Redlands and one from Ontario had about a 3 inch difference in their January rainfall totals. I decided to look at the map and realized that Redlands is directly NE of the two highest peaks of the Santa Ana Mountains, nicknamed Saddleback, which consists of Modjeska Peak and Santiago Peak, while Ontario is NE of the Chino Hills, which are of much lower elevation. Since the flow has been out of the SW in many systems this year, I figured that Redlands is being rain shadowed to some extent by the Santa Ana Mountains. Also when I have traveled down the I-15 from Corona to Temecula, I have always noticed just how much drier the terrain is around and just to the north of Lake Elsinore than it is further south toward Murrieta and Temecula or further north in Corona. Some of the hills to the east of I-15 in this area practically look like desert, as opposed to the chaparral more typically seen in other similar areas. I believe the high peaks of Saddleback provide a more severe rain shadow to this immediate area, making it a drier microclimate compared to the Corona area and the Murrieta / Temecula area.

Thanks Dan

We can't underestimate the influence of the many mountain ranges in SoCal. Case-in-point, Pasadena compared to Palmdale; world of difference.

I am getting increasingly hopeful that another AR-type set up will form into next week but it still looks like the bulk of moisture will be more north this time [north of Bay Area].

Thursday: 69/ 50

Drizzle: 59° 

The clouds are actually useful when they bring some rain, unlike yesterday. Rain has stopped for now, however, and it looks like San Diego will once again be left out. John Wayne Airport got over an inch, however, which is unusual for them, since they usually have some of the lowest rainfall totals in most storms.

• Like 1

Rain is tapering off after overnight light showers. I recorded what I had hoped for [over 0.50]. Next storm system could occur in another 5 days; perfect pattern this winter.

Feb: 1.81

Year [jul-jun]: 17.04

• Like 1

Rain is tapering off after overnight light showers. I recorded what I had hoped for [over 0.50]. Next storm system could occur in another 5 days; perfect pattern this winter.

Feb: 1.81

Year [jul-jun]: 17.04

Glad to see you guys finally get some drought relief down there! Hope it keeps up.

• Like 1

Short Term Forecast
National Weather Service Los Angeles/Oxnard CA
139 PM PST Sat Feb 11 2017

CAZ054-088-120100-
Los Angeles County Mountains excluding the Santa Monica Range-
Santa Clarita Valley-
Including the cities of Acton, Mount Wilson, Sandberg,
Santa Clarita, Newhall, and Valencia

.NOW...
AT 1:30 PM DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED THUNDERSTORMS MOVING OVER THE
SANTA CLARITA VALLEY AND THE WESTERN LOS ANGELES COUNTY MOUNTAINS.
THE STORMS WERE MOVING NORTHEAST AT 10 MPH...AND ARE CAPABLE OF
PRODUCING BRIEF HEAVY RAIN...SHOWERS OF SMALL HAIL...GUSTY WINDS
AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING. THE STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE TO
EXPAND OVER LOS ANGELES COUNTY THROUGH 5 PM THIS EVENING.

The heavy downpours MAY cause ponding of water on area roadways
and local brief flooding of low lying areas and intersections.

Short Term Forecast

National Weather Service Los Angeles/Oxnard CA

CAZ054-088-120100-

Los Angeles County Mountains excluding the Santa Monica Range-

Santa Clarita Valley-

Including the cities of Acton, Mount Wilson, Sandberg,

Santa Clarita, Newhall, and Valencia

.NOW...

AT 1:30 PM DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED THUNDERSTORMS MOVING OVER THE

SANTA CLARITA VALLEY AND THE WESTERN LOS ANGELES COUNTY MOUNTAINS.

THE STORMS WERE MOVING NORTHEAST AT 10 MPH...AND ARE CAPABLE OF

PRODUCING BRIEF HEAVY RAIN...SHOWERS OF SMALL HAIL...GUSTY WINDS

AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING. THE STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE TO

EXPAND OVER LOS ANGELES COUNTY THROUGH 5 PM THIS EVENING.

The heavy downpours MAY cause ponding of water on area roadways

and local brief flooding of low lying areas and intersections.

I heard a Flash Flood Warning regarding these t-storms announced on TV as an emergency broadcast message yesterday while watching the Pebble Beach Pro Am.

Dan the Weatherman, on 12 Feb 2017 - 4:35 PM, said:Dan the Weatherman, on 12 Feb 2017 - 4:35 PM, said:

I heard a Flash Flood Warning regarding these t-storms announced on TV as an emergency broadcast message yesterday while watching the Pebble Beach Pro Am.

I could see building altocumulus to the NW but the flow was to the NE yesterday.  Opposite today w/ offshore winds. Monterey/ Carmel looks so green like the rest of California this winter.

75/ 50