East/Gulf Coast Weather 2017

Phil

Hey Phil was there just a small quake somewhere in the region there was for a few seconds some light rattling going on? Just wonder if you experience it as well.edit yes there was a 4.4 magatude reported in Delaware.

I felt it too. Rattled the windows a bit, but nothing like the 5.8 back in August 2011.

i remember that one in 2011 well that was quite an experience then,

That one scared the s**t out of me.

Really crazy here. It does happen in winters like this but it's crazy.

The sudden cold from temperate has kicked everyone arse. Aches, pains, some people suddenly getting sick.

This has been an old fashioned norther.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Ah!! Looks nice.

Here's the article on Houston and Corpus. Mexico's roads were a mess as well.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/record-snow-blankets-houston-and-texas/497922280

IMG_2878.PNG

IMG_2879.PNG

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

haha Thundersnow in Brownsville. Thats pretty special for those guys. 

Andy I will be down there for 2 weeks in Abilene again Dec 25 to about Jan 7th, then over to Austin for AMS for a few days. Always enjoy Texas!

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I think we will have our usual temperate Texas Christmas.  Bring your shorts. 

It's a sunny and gorgeous day here today.  High around 70*. 

You'll love Austin.  Go into Hill Country which is southwest of Austin, the Fredricksburg area . 

If the weather is fine, you'll love it. 

Grab a map and hit the 2 lane blacktops.  Hill Country is a nice area and good Bar B Que.

Welcome Back to Texas,  Have fun !

• Like 1

Drip drip drip. Even with December sun angles, it’s tough to maintain a snowpack here.

So guys, what's the outlook for Texas's winter?  

I fear a warm dry slouching in to spring.

Haven't heard long term for winter OR spring.  Thoughts ??

So guys, what's the outlook for Texas's winter?  

I fear a warm dry slouching in to spring.

Haven't heard long term for winter OR spring.  Thoughts ??

The good news is even if this winter does go to pot in the end there are signs things maybe changing over the next few years as we get closer to the solar min which will likely be 2019-2020 if we get a moderate El nino with a big blocking-nam -nao pattern in place in 2019-2020 look out that often times at least as of recently how we have been getting our blockbuster winters so 2019-2020 could well be the next blockbuster.Also while it way to early to talk summer patterns I hope next summer we can finally see a much more active thunderstorm pattern.The last few years have really sucked in that department in the summers hopefully with the solar min in the next few years we will start to see some improvement in more active patterns.

• Like 1

Oh plz, I don't want a real hot summer here. 

Texas is in weather limbo. :(

Every day is just like the other. Zzzzzzz.

High was 28.9*F today before the snow started. Mos down to 26*F with ice pellets and tiny snowflakes.

Kinda getting shafted though. Heavy frontogenic bands are developing over NJ.

Say Guys, I have to drive Christmas Day from DFW to The Tx. okla border.

Mets here are not committing to any snow ice for Christmas afternoon to Tuesday

Anyone want to weigh into that?

I simply can't get trapped there. Responsibilities at home.

I quite frankly don't get the hype for the Christmas system past history has showed that we don't get major snow events from passing artic fronts if we are to get a light to moderate snow event my bet would be a day or so after Christmas as one way we can get a sneak up event is a wave forms on the front and heads east northeast many times data will not catch on to these smaller events until a day out and we have seen that happen a few times all ready and that is one thing to watch for in this pattern.there is always a danger in niña winter's that we see very cold shots but little to no fan fare snow wise suppression pattern.it does have a early to mid 1980s type pattern feel to it this year.if we do see normal snowfall this winter this could be a classic one where we may just nickel and dime our way vers one where we see it all at once.i also wouldn't be surprised if we had a couple ice storms.right now I hope we get the warm temps out fast Christmas so we at least can feel like Christmas the last 2 or 3 Christmas have flat out sucked weather wise.hopefuly the next few years we will see improvements as we start to get closer to the solar min with the possible next blockbuster winter in 2019-2020

They took out the cold aspect of our weather, but we have some heavy rain in the NE of Texas today.

Glad to Dodge the sever weather bullet with the holiday.

Currently 35 *.

We received 1" of very cold rain today. Cuts right through you.

Wind advisories issued for tonight and tomorrow. This one might be interesting because we’ll have CAA and pressure rises, in tandem with streamflow 100% perpendicular to the ridges (WNW to ESE). So downsloping will probably mix these winds down easily between 5AM - 10AM.

So even though the advisory is for 50mph gusts, I’m expecting many areas will be in the 55-60mph range with the ridges seeing 60-70mph through compressional forcing.

The cold is here no doubt about that the real open debate is the storms really the models clearly are having so many problems in handeling so many of these waves which is a classic Niña case in a modeled winter which could well be why it's much Easier to get bigger storms in weak to moderate Ninos vers ninas a lot more in a way of subtropical jet in ninos where in ninas you tend to always have that pesky northern jet being a pain in the but to furger out in other words ninas are very seldom ever simple.what funny is some are now going with the 31-2 event lol good luck if the models cannot handel Fridays system correctly it's hard to think they can handel the latter one but I will be happy to be wrong.there is as you said Phil before always a real danger in La niña winter's when it get cold to waste the period with suppression especially when you lack a Greenland blocking pattern.

Winds were insane last night. Easily 55-60mph, since my station recorded a gust to 46mph despite being surrounded by large trees.

Knocked out our electricity around 430AM. Just came back on a few minutes ago.

Chilly, boring. :/

Cold/boring

:lol:

Amazing.

A shark was found frozen solid on a Massachusetts beach amid the record-breaking temperatures

IMG_2934.JPG

• Like 1

An inch of powder fell back home today. Temps dropped down to 12*F the previous night, so it stuck pretty much everywhere. Now it’s blowing around on the webcams.

Looks like 11 out of 12 nights might drop below 20*F, with a few nights dropping into the single digits during this cold stretch. Nothing otherworldly as of now, but an improvement over the blowtorches in 2015/16 and 2016/17.