East/Gulf Coast Weather 2017

Phil

An inch of powder fell back home today. Temps dropped down to 12*F the previous night, so it stuck pretty much everywhere. Now it’s blowing around on the webcams.

Looks like 11 out of 12 nights might drop below 20*F, with a few nights dropping into the single digits during this cold stretch. Nothing otherworldly as of now, but an improvement over the blowtorches in 2015/16 and 2016/17.

agreed certainly better then the last few winter's but not exactly awesome eather.

Blackhole in is Texas right now.  He's enjoying some of our 18* evenings with freezing drizzle. 

Lows in the 20's till Friday.

This is deep cold for us.

From the NWS

... Freezing precipitation and minor icing possible tonight and
into Sunday for parts of north and central TX. Low wind chills
are also anticipated late Sunday into Monday morning for much of
the area...

And a full moon.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I don't think you're have to worry about missing out on any blizzard Phil while you're in Florida all the data is pretty much a classic swing and a miss which is typical of niña none blocking type progressive flow cold patterns storms tend to suppress and form to far off the coast.I think if we are to score something it's going to be a over running system which is more typical of la niña years and when the cold patterns starts to relax I also think it maybe when we have to be wary of a possible ice threat ninas are big on ice events here.

Looks like we opened the new year of 2018 with a temperature of 13*F. Down to 11*F as of 230AM.

Still warm and humid down here in Miami, though.

North Tx went into the teens last night.

It's 20* at 9 am.

Really hard on animals out in the fields.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

9F in Abilene this morning with a high of 22F. I had snow and freezing rain yesterday with the front.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Yeah, it's cold here. Looks like some people got a slight white New Years.

Many people don't think of how it can get cold in Texas. But I've seen 0* in a county just west of Ft. Worth in an a.m. reading.

Enjoy!!

Record snows expected in Charleston and Savanah.

I heard this storm could bomb out and the mb's could tanks.

Phil, if you're in Miami, you're missing the show !

Low of 5.5*F back home. Brrr.

Heading to Sarasota today, then flying home tomorrow evening.

It not often where the Eastern shore beachs get a beating they scored on two big storms this winter normally it the western part that owns us but the beaches this winter is kicking everyone's behide .this is why snowfall in a winter outlook is a crapshoot as it depends on storm track and one big storm is all it takes which is why you can have a blow touch like 82-83 2015-2016 1999-2000 but yet have above normal snow due to one big storm.which is why we say cold winter's don't guarantee snowy winter's but on the other hand warm winter's don't always guarantee snowless.

Missed it, but family reports 2-3” and blowing/drifting with “loud wind gusts”. Fly home this evening, should land around 930pm-10pm.

We dont on Mt. Washington, thanfully, but this is impressive.

-100* Windchill.

Mount Washington Observatory in New Hampshire isn’t just cold — at -36 degrees with a windchill of 94 below, it’s tied for the second coldest place on Earth, according to a tweet from the observatory. In fact, according to the latest data available from the Curiosity rover on Mars, Mount Washington feels colder than the surface of our celestial neighbor, which was measured at -78 degrees.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/01/06/mtwashington/wpVUA1GrdYxAbhU6Zi5aGJ/story.html

Winds kicking up giant clouds of road salt today. Cold and super dry.

Low could approach zero tonight if we decouple.

It's warmed back to the 50s in Abilene. Now I am heading down to Austin for AMS for a few days. A chance of a thunderstorm tomorrow but otherwise quiet. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Can’t seem to decouple here. Another round of heavy gusts pummeling the house in the dead of night. These Arctic airmasses seem to mix well.

Will have to lose the wind soon to test zero degrees tonight, though. Currently 10.2*F and windy.

Wind died off a few hours before sunrise. Temp dropped quickly to 2.8*F, but not enough time to reach zero.

Return flow starting up now as the Arctic high slides eastward.

BWI broke their record too, dropping to 1 degree this morning. They also observed 40 consecutive hours with subzero windchills (3pm Friday to 7AM this morning.

Brrr..

Dumping sleet here now with warm advection aloft. Wet bulb cooling should cap today’s high at 30.9*F.

Which means we’ve gone two weeks straight with temperatures never touching freezing. Not bad.

Strike that, for whatever reason the precip hasn’t produced any wet bulb cooling, and we’re up to 33.3*F.

So our subfreezing stretch ends at 13 days.

Warm day in Austin, mid 60s. I am at AMS. If you are here Phil we can meet up at some point. 

• Like 2

Warm day in Austin, mid 60s. I am at AMS. If you are here Phil we can meet up at some point.

Ah man, I wish I could, but I have work.

Next time for sure.

Nice weather lately after the dip. 

Glad it improved for you !

But colder Friday - Tues. lows ~ 28* Highs ~48* until Monday where it will stay in the 30's with a chance of snow on Monday.

Ah man, I wish I could, but I have work.

Next time for sure.

Well I am sure this won't be my last one so sounds great!

Nice weather lately after the dip. 

Glad it improved for you !

But colder Friday - Tues. lows ~ 28* Highs ~48* until Monday where it will stay in the 30's with a chance of snow on Monday.

Yeah it has been really nice. I've enjoyed the last few days and it finally feels comfortable. Looks like a cold front swings through tomorrow and I am out of here on Saturday so probably no more real nice weather for this visit. Still, I always love coming to Texas.

• Like 1

I’ve got a Wind and Winter Weather advisory behind this stiff cold front approaching Dallas. Looking for snow between 2 and 8 with around an inch on the ground, and gusts up to 50mph.

Should be a fun weather day in the Metroplex.

Still just out of reach...the NW curse!

Visiting family down here in Austin area . Currently 68 here and waiting for the temp to drop as front goes through.

Thunderstorms developed just to the SE of me so I’m missing the fun on both side of me!

Jim

I’ve got a Wind and Winter Weather advisory behind this stiff cold front approaching Dallas. Looking for snow between 2 and 8 with around an inch on the ground, and gusts up to 50mph.

Should be a fun weather day in the Metroplex.

It's blowing like crazy Fred ! Where are you? I'm in far SW Ft. Worth.

All we got in Ft. worth was a LOT of wind. Winds at 30 mph. Suddenly dropped off to 5-10

Temp will drop off to 28 or so tonight with a high tomorrow of 49 then 28 again.

Typical Texas winter front.

• Like 2

Warm advection starting here. Clouds lowering and a light SE breeze blowing. Smells like leaves and water.

I’m staying in Las Colinas. I should be out here again in a few months, we should get lunch!

That's a nice posh little area. It's a county away but we can give a shot ! That is if that blowing sleet doesn't slow us down !

Lol, morons.

Just curious.......does anyone have an opinion whether Texas will see any rain in the next 2 weeks ?