East/Gulf Coast Weather 2017

Phil

Flying back from FL today..always sucks getting back to the grind after a week in paradise.

Also, looks like we received another inch of snow back home, according to a friend, so that'd place us at ~ 10" total on the winter. Way below average, but at least we've avoided "disaster" status. Still easily one of worst winters possible here.

Welcome to spring 2017 we can finally put this horrible winter behide us.got a feeling this severe weather season maybe the most active since 2011 it has the potential to be an active one.

You mean since 2012? The 2011 season was crap, much like last year.

You mean since 2012? The 2011 season was crap, much like last 

very true that 2011 was crap for our region  those 2011 even those it was crap here was a very active spring for the mid west ohio Valley and parts of the south with the historic out break in April I likey was meaning to saying those locations and not really us locally that this has the potential to be a much more active spring chasing wise those hope we get more of a 2012 active season for us then a crappy 2011 or last year verson  summer wise .Another reason I brought up 2011 active spring  chase season is there are some mets that are claiming this spring has some looks of seasons that produced the outbreaks like 65,74 and 2011 It will be interesting to see how this pattern evolves this spring.

It's looking like Texas will finally be getting some much needed rain Friday and maybe mid next week.

With wildfire season on us, we want it.

Temps in the 70's and low 80's.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Waiting for some thunderstorms.

Would be hard to under-perform last year's atrocious severe season, so at least there's that. The cold IO/weak South Asian monsoon tends to correlate with peak activity in June/July.

No real change. Our thunderstorms were a major disappointment. Chance later int he week....I won't hold my breath.

If Texas performs as Texas we won't see the real fireworks for at least a month.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Were at 80* with a dew point at 67*. Ugh.

Thunderstorms in DFW after 2 am, but west will see tornado watches and warnings.

A warning is active currently north of Abilene.

Windy, we expect strong gusts tonight. Hail should stay west.

Oklahoma and west Texas are on the watch tonight. Lots of circulation in these.

7 separate tornado watches/ warning on west Texas right now.

We'll see 70* on Wednesday.

The front hit the western edges of Ft. worth around 2:30 and the wind was the most significant factor. 60mph+ winds slammed into the area. west of DFw airport saw golfball sized hail and. Heavy wind and rain. We were under 2 tornado watches/ warnings as I dashed down the street to catch my heavy trash can at 2:45 am. That was fun actually. I like running in the rain, btw.

The DfW area had wind damage mostly. I only received a 1/2" of rain west of Ft. Worth. I knew with those dewpoints it would be a big blow.

Currently

65*

Dew point 58*

Humidity 78%

Wind 13mph

DFW reported .80" rain

95 mph winds were clocked in Rockwell NE of Dallas.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/1-Hurt-Several-Homes-Damaged-in-Rockwall-After-Storms-417426303.html

• Like 1

Yikes, 95mph winds are no joke. Hope you made it through unscathed!

Had a few rumbles of thunder last night, including one decent CTG strike, but nothing interesting yet in terms of severe weather here. Our storm season starts later than for locations west of the mountains, thanks to the chilly early season Atlantic SSTs. Usually takes until May for us to lose the marine influence completely.

yeah that tends to be the way it works 2002 was a lone exception where it seemed like spring was quite active in our reagion the only down side to it was we had one of the worse summers possable that followed very hot and dry with little to no thunderstorm activitie
  • Like 1

Yikes, 95mph winds are no joke. Hope you made it through unscathed!

Had a few rumbles of thunder last night, including one decent CTG strike, but nothing interesting yet in terms of severe weather here. Our storm season starts later than for locations west of the mountains, thanks to the chilly early season Atlantic SSTs. Usually takes until May for us to lose the marine influence completely.

We were lucky. I am on the west side of the area and the big winds hit east of Dallas.

More rain coming in tomorrow evening and rain all day Sunday which I'll be driving in.

Hate driving or being on the highway in the rain with the idiots. But duty calls....husband's family.

Ft. Worth is expected to get 1.5" rain. We'll see.

Thursday setting up to be interesting severe-wise. Could fall apart if the low cuts off prematurely and/or rides south, but at the very least, it looks like we some action upcoming.

Even Tuesday night could try something if destabilization is sufficient and lapse rates aren't choked by moisture loading aloft.

Thursday looks interesting severe wise. Instability will be questionable, but someone will probably score.

Thursday could be fun. I am holding out hope for some organized supercell activity that moves north of Baltimore.

Timing could be an issue, but either way it looks like a fairly dynamic storm system.

Thick clouds moved in here around 3pm, and the W/NW winds rapidly swung around to the S/SE and have become gusty over the last 20mins.

I think I might go to central Delaware to position myself for any possible fun.

Yeah, early-season climo favors southern locations away from the hilly terrain, opposite of mid-summer climo which favors the mountains.

Here comes the bay breeze. Boo.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/53FAA188-B73A-4713-9699-9FD70E530D37_zpsqexasnqn.png

Interesting how many of these storms are imbedded within a larger rain shield. Doesn't usually happen like that..might be our story tomorrow as well.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/06209111-A56B-4039-99E4-42A9B2CE6F5D_zpstwlpwoxl.png

East wind is cranking now, maybe 30-35mph. Warm front is still sitting in south-central VA, but has finally started to move northward a bit in the last hour.

Anyone north of that warm front won't see severe weather, so need it to make it at least into N MD to feel comfortable here.

Deep, booming thunder here this morning. Winds have just flipped from the SE to the SW with dewpoints now rising, so the warm front appears to have passed.

Just had a very close strike here. Nearly simultaneous lightning and thunder. Woohoo lol.

Been thundering over two consecutive hours now, impressive for April. Wind has gone completely calm too, as the low stacks overhead.

Very loud thunder here, going on three hours now.

Heaviest stuff to come:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/7663EBB7-CE32-423E-96D4-298ED771CBD1_zps4rokpzks.png

Dewpoint is approaching 60F now, so the moisture is deginitely there behind the warm front. Each downpour erodes the inversion a bit more, bringing warmer air down from aloft and creating a thick fog.

Also, wind is switching around from the SW, to ENE, to SE, etc as the windfield aloft tries to couple with the surface boundary layer.

Que the jaws music! Radar detecting 90mph winds 2000ft up. If that mixes down in the heavier convection..oh boy:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/440DC940-22A4-4463-B890-063DAF95C9E4_zpsqeavtwut.png

Some of the strongest winds I've ever seen. Holy crap.

A grim-reaper gust missed by 1/4 mile but it still sounded louder than a low flying jet.

Had some pea sized hail, gusts were easily 60mph at peak, even higher gusts were licking the top of the big poplars.

One of the pines lining the house is leaning now. I'll have my pictures up shortly.

Pics from around DC today (not mine):

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/E50155DC-A6A4-4216-BD32-B8D365294CC5_zpstqvfmy9b.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/D7C7ACAA-9302-4138-A1F1-C1D3BBFC3CB5_zpselxanupo.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/BA5CFE2E-E195-4BC7-B8A4-B431415296ED_zpske3frvcc.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/09D02CC9-814B-4467-9C47-09EC978A1F94_zpsgf8e0nhq.jpg

Ugh, one of the guying wires stabilizing the anemometer pole snapped. Have to climb onto the roof to fix it..meh.

I'm thinking this was a tornado.

Lots of roofs blown off with this one. The Pentagon City Macy's roof was ripped up along with the elementary school, trees down all over the tidal basin, a food truck was picked up and thrown at a vehicle, insulation from an apartment complex thrown across a highway.

I'd give the event a 6/10.

Saw some pretty clouds and got some thunder.

Eh, you'll see much better in due time. That's garden variety stuff mostly.

Snowshoe is getting crushed BTW..blizzard conditions with sustained winds at 49mph, gusting to 58mph:

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/snowshoe-village/

At least two EF0 tornadoes confirmed in the DC area. Some of the cherry blossoms were snapped like toothpicks on the NE side of the water.

Chilly winds continue today. Gusts around 40mph area wide.

You're getting your share of wind up there Phil !

We've received almost 6" rain in my back yard over the past two rains.

Loads of theatrics, wind, lightning, thunder.

Texas has seen plenty of funnel clouds this spring and a few on the ground.

South Texas has received a whole boatload of rain this past month.

I'm wondering when the tap will turn off down here?

Looks like temps will hit the mid-80s early next week. That'll wake up the trees. Plus, dewpoint season doesn't begin for another month at least, so it'll be comfortable too.

are you planning in issuing a summer forecast this year Phil :)

Leaning warmer than average, perhaps with an earlier peak in the heat versus last year. Maybe August could wind up cooler than average?

If so, that'd be huge since August is our most oppressive month.

Nice thunderstorm last night. All the fixins included.

Got an inch of rain. Generally we've had a good spring with heavy rains to boost Lakes and groundwater.

I'm hoping to avoid a fire season that seemed to be setting up in the Panhandle and western Oklahoma.

79*, cloudy. Calm winds.

Really nice day.

What a beautiful evening. Currently 71F with clear skies, after an afternoon high of 88F w/ low humidity.