I'm Leaving The Forum For A While

snow_wizard

It is with a certain degree of sadness that I write this.

To get right down to it, I’m going to have to stay away from the forum for a while. There are a number of reasons for this, with the main one being I simply can’t take the aggravation of it on top of the endless parade of disappointment being dealt to this area by Mother Nature. I really can’t decide if the understandable complaining of the people from the Seattle area or the understandable happiness of the people from the places that have gotten snow bothers me more. One thing for sure is the combination on top of my deep and growing disillusionment of the incredible snow drought this area is in has gotten to the point of being unbearable.

To date this has been an extraordinarily cold winter and I really doubt anywhere north of the 45th parallel has been able to equal the epic fail 1.2 inches of snow I have had. Besides that this location has been unable to record even a two inch snowfall since January 2012.

Besides all of that I am very ashamed of how I acted the last time I posted, which was a day before another one of the many epic failures this winter. I stand behind the forecast I made that day (and in fact it verified for a small area) given the data that was available, but my attitude was awful and rather shrill. The fact is this climate has been slowly stripping away my sanity for quite some time now. If anything this winter has made me hate it more than I already did. The fact that people have still been left out after nearly 6 weeks of continuous cold is very irksome.

At any rate I’m done posting until spring. I might reconsider in the extremely unlikely event a significant snowfall arrives at our doorstep sometime later in the winter. I simply can’t take the constant reminder of how horribly this area has performed. I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact I won’t see a good snowfall again until I am finally able to move, which thankfully my wife understands is essential for my well being. I guess Tim will have free reign to smash everyone’s hopes on future events now.

It’s really a shame to have the big picture looking so much better, but not be able to take part in the fun.

I might still do an occasional post on past events.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You are already missed and you will continue to be missed. You contribute so many great things to this forum and a huge part of that is your upbeat attitude and positive outlook on almost any type of weather event happening year around. Your dedication to the forums over the past 12 years has been outstanding. I and many others look forward to your return. And I think we all are hoping it's because of a massive region wide snowstorm in early February! 

• Like 2

Thanks!

One thing I forgot to add about how bad I've gotten...

It has gotten to the point where every time there's a legitimate threat of snow in the forecast I get so worked up I have to take a valium just to keep from bouncing off the walls. Then of course when it falls through I go through a days long depression. A horrible and vicious cycle I wouldn't wish on anyone. This climate is insidious in its own way. I guess I just want everyone to know this goes way beyond feeling sorry for myself.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Thanks!

It has gotten to the point where every time there's a legitimate threat of snow in the forecast I get so worked up I have to take a valium just to keep from bouncing off the walls. Then of course when it falls through I go through a days long depression. A horrible and vicious cycle I wouldn't wish on anyone. This climate is insidious in its own way. I guess I just want everyone to know this goes way beyond feeling sorry for myself.

This goes well beyond the weather...you need to just go and take care of yourself! Wish you nothing but the best!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

This goes well beyond the weather...you need to just go and take care of yourself! Wish you nothing but the best!

Agreed... take care of yourself first. We will see you when you are feeling better. All the best!

Just remember, retirement can be spent in the coldest and snowiest of places--something to look forward to :)

Miss you. Take care of yourself. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Thanks!

I'm really sorry to hear this buddy. I don't think any of us realized how bad it had gotten.

Sending positive thoughts up your way.

Thanks!

We all love you dude, please don't leave. Mother Nature always trolls the most invested, passionate weenies. That's just how it is, how it's always been, and how it always will be. When things look bleak, tell yourself that it's just frozen water falling from the sky, or something along those lines.

Soon you'll find a new location, and you'll see snowfalls on a regular basis. There are great winter climates all around the country, and many are quite cheap/affordable. Heck, many are within your geographic backyard. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck. You'll pull through and will do fine in the end, that much I'm sure of.

• Like 1

You've always been a good friend to me and I learned a lot from you in the past. Keep your spirits up and post when you can. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I have been wanting Snowwiz to move to Whatcom County for over a decade. Still hope he finds his way up here soon! Eastern/Northern part of Western Whatcom County would be perfect for him.

I honestly think he should get a fresh start and move out of the region altogether. Somewhere like Alaska or Montana, perhaps Michigan or Maine if he's daring. Should at least get east of the Cascades IMO.

I honestly think he should get a fresh start and move out of the region altogether. Somewhere like Alaska or Montana, perhaps Michigan or Maine if he's daring. Should at least get east of the Cascades IMO.

Yeah...I think I need a sure thing. I have used up my lifetime allotment of disappointment. Central WA actually has fantastic snowy winters.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah...I think I need a sure thing. I have used up my lifetime allotment of disappointment. Central WA actually has fantastic snowy winters.

True, but do you want to spend your entire life in just one region? Personally, I don't think I could do that.

I take exception to the comment that I just smash snowfall hopes. That is not my goal. Nature does that. And when it looks great then I am all over it like with the event this week in Portland.

You really need to move. Even moving to North Bend... which is so close you could keep everything else the same... would make snow routine enough that its not such a big deal.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

In solidarity with Jim, I too will not be posting any longer and will be staying away for a while.

I live in the swamp, we rarely get sticking snow and quite frankly, I'm sick of seeing all the posts from the Oregon people.  I'm not glad they got snow.  I'm not glad they had an epic event.  I only care about what is in my back yard.

I'm done.  For a while.

Peace out from Swampland Jon.

• Like 2

In solidarity with Jim, I too will not be posting any longer and will be staying away for a while.

I live in the swamp, we rarely get sticking snow and quite frankly, I'm sick of seeing all the posts from the Oregon people. I'm not glad they got snow. I'm not glad they had an epic event. I only care about what is in my back yard.

I'm done. For a while.

Peace out from Swampland Jon.

Well if it makes you feel any better I pulled my groin on Friday while building a snow fort with my son and his friend on Thursday.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Well if it makes you feel any better I pulled my groin on Friday while building a snow fort with my son and his friend on Thursday.

Ouch!

Might have to keep an eye on it for a possible hernia.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Did it happen slowly over the course of two days?  :o

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Sounds exactly like my inguinal hernia. Felt weird on Saturday, hospital on Monday. Lol

I was a mess on Friday. Slight but steady improvement since then.

My wife, the nurse, just said to rub some snow on it and get back in the game.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You're a valued friend and we want only the best for you Jim.

Everyone deserves a break to get perspective and rest.  Lord, I've needed a vacation for 3 yrs!

Be well, rub snow in you face frequently! ...better still get naked and take a snow bath. 

You and I have been on this and previous incarnations of this forum  a very long time, so I look forward to reading your posts again soon.

Be well !!  :wub:

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I was a mess on Friday. Slight but steady improvement since then.

My wife, the nurse, just said to rub some snow on it and get back in the game.

You have a medical professional in your house as well??    Its so nice for many reasons.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So far you have not left, which is good. We never get snow here, except for in the mountains, but I know what a disappointing storm can be like. Today's storm is supposed to bring 2 to 3 inches of rain, but so far it only brought 0.28" to Fullerton since it started early this morning and it has rarely been raining hard enough for me to hear the roof dripping outside of my window. Also, during most storms, John Wayne Airport, which is the closest station to my house, is always one of the places to get the lowest rainfall totals. It almost always rains harder in Lake Forest, but there are no major airports there.

I actually love warm and sunny weather, but when it does rain, I want to see it pour like crazy, especially with our drought. The thing I hate most are cold, gray marine layer days when the weather is lousy, but all you get is some light morning drizzle that rarely amounts to more than a trace.

Rain has started to intensify now, so there is still some hope of getting pretty good totals, but probably less than 2 inches.