Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

I'm Leaving The Forum For A While

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

snow_wizard

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 10626 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA
It is with a certain degree of sadness that I write this.

To get right down to it, I’m going to have to stay away from the forum for a while. There are a number of reasons for this, with the main one being I simply can’t take the aggravation of it on top of the endless parade of disappointment being dealt to this area by Mother Nature. I really can’t decide if the understandable complaining of the people from the Seattle area or the understandable happiness of the people from the places that have gotten snow bothers me more. One thing for sure is the combination on top of my deep and growing disillusionment of the incredible snow drought this area is in has gotten to the point of being unbearable.

To date this has been an extraordinarily cold winter and I really doubt anywhere north of the 45th parallel has been able to equal the epic fail 1.2 inches of snow I have had. Besides that this location has been unable to record even a two inch snowfall since January 2012.

Besides all of that I am very ashamed of how I acted the last time I posted, which was a day before another one of the many epic failures this winter. I stand behind the forecast I made that day (and in fact it verified for a small area) given the data that was available, but my attitude was awful and rather shrill. The fact is this climate has been slowly stripping away my sanity for quite some time now. If anything this winter has made me hate it more than I already did. The fact that people have still been left out after nearly 6 weeks of continuous cold is very irksome.

At any rate I’m done posting until spring. I might reconsider in the extremely unlikely event a significant snowfall arrives at our doorstep sometime later in the winter. I simply can’t take the constant reminder of how horribly this area has performed. I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact I won’t see a good snowfall again until I am finally able to move, which thankfully my wife understands is essential for my well being. I guess Tim will have free reign to smash everyone’s hopes on future events now.

It’s really a shame to have the big picture looking so much better, but not be able to take part in the fun.

I might still do an occasional post on past events.
  • Perturbance and Brennan like this
Death To Warm Anomalies!

winter.jpg

Winter 2016-17 Stats

Total snow = 9.8"
Days Min 32 or below = 61
Days Max 32 or below = 1
Days Max Below 40 = 29
Coldest Min = 16

Brennan

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

Brennan

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationBellingham, Wa

You are already missed and you will continue to be missed. You contribute so many great things to this forum and a huge part of that is your upbeat attitude and positive outlook on almost any type of weather event happening year around. Your dedication to the forums over the past 12 years has been outstanding. I and many others look forward to your return. And I think we all are hoping it's because of a massive region wide snowstorm in early February! 

• pscz1140 and ShawniganLake like this

snow_wizard

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 10626 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA
Thanks!

One thing I forgot to add about how bad I've gotten...

It has gotten to the point where every time there's a legitimate threat of snow in the forecast I get so worked up I have to take a valium just to keep from bouncing off the walls. Then of course when it falls through I go through a days long depression. A horrible and vicious cycle I wouldn't wish on anyone. This climate is insidious in its own way. I guess I just want everyone to know this goes way beyond feeling sorry for myself.
Death To Warm Anomalies!

winter.jpg

Winter 2016-17 Stats

Total snow = 9.8"
Days Max 32 or below = 1
Days Max Below 40 = 29
Coldest Min = 16

MossMan

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

MossMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4671 posts
  • LocationArlington, Wa

Thanks!

It has gotten to the point where every time there's a legitimate threat of snow in the forecast I get so worked up I have to take a valium just to keep from bouncing off the walls. Then of course when it falls through I go through a days long depression. A horrible and vicious cycle I wouldn't wish on anyone. This climate is insidious in its own way. I guess I just want everyone to know this goes way beyond feeling sorry for myself.

This goes well beyond the weather...you need to just go and take care of yourself! Wish you nothing but the best!

westcoastexpat

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:39 AM

westcoastexpat

Forum Contributor

• Meteorologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

This goes well beyond the weather...you need to just go and take care of yourself! Wish you nothing but the best!

Agreed... take care of yourself first. We will see you when you are feeling better. All the best!

Just remember, retirement can be spent in the coldest and snowiest of places--something to look forward to :)

SilverFallsAndrew

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

SilverFallsAndrew

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10014 posts
  • LocationSilverton, OR

Miss you. Take care of yourself. 

Snowfall

2016-17: 47.2"

2015-16: 11.75"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"
2012-13: 16.75"
2011-12: 98.5"

Canadian guy

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Canadian guy

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

This place isn't the same without Snow_Wiz.

• Brennan likes this

Jesse

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 14551 posts
  • LocationEast Vancouver, WA (300')

Thanks!

I'm really sorry to hear this buddy. I don't think any of us realized how bad it had gotten.

Sending positive thoughts up your way.

Phil

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11598 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.

Thanks!

We all love you dude, please don't leave. Mother Nature always trolls the most invested, passionate weenies. That's just how it is, how it's always been, and how it always will be. When things look bleak, tell yourself that it's just frozen water falling from the sky, or something along those lines.

Soon you'll find a new location, and you'll see snowfalls on a regular basis. There are great winter climates all around the country, and many are quite cheap/affordable. Heck, many are within your geographic backyard. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck. You'll pull through and will do fine in the end, that much I'm sure of.
  • Andie likes this
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Warm season 2017:
Thunderstorm days: 4
Severe days: 3
Hail: 1 (pea sized)
Wind: 2 (62mph, 58mph)
Rain total: 4.54"

Black Hole

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

Black Hole

Daily Contributor

• Admin
  • 1156 posts
  • LocationBountiful, Ut 84010 ~4575ft

You've always been a good friend to me and I learned a lot from you in the past. Keep your spirits up and post when you can. 

BS Atmospheric Science University of Utah May 2015

PhD Candidate Atmospheric Sciences

--Emphasis on: Forecasting, Mountain Weather, Numerical Weather Prediction, Data Assimilation

Winter 2016/17 Snow:
Nov 17: 3.2", 23: 1.6", 28: 9.2" (14)

Dec 1: .5", 16: 2.5", 25: 13" (16)

Jan 2: 5", 3: 2.4", 4: 7.7", 12: 1", 19: 1.2", 21: 13", 23: 6", 24: 1", 25: 3.7", 26: 2.5" (43.5) 

Feb 11: .5", 23: 6.5", 27: 4.5" (13.5)

Mar 5: 5.5" (5.5)

Apr 8: 2", 9: 1.8" (3.8)
Total: 95.3"

Lowest Temp: 2F

Chris

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

Chris

Community Mod

• Admin
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast Range 1000'

If it's any consolation, the suppressed jet that left you dry has brought significant relief to huge drought stricken areas in southern Oregon and California.

• Dan the Weatherman, Brennan and happ like this

Brennan

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

Brennan

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationBellingham, Wa

I have been wanting Snowwiz to move to Whatcom County for over a decade. Still hope he finds his way up here soon! Eastern/Northern part of Western Whatcom County would be perfect for him. 

Phil

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:50 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11598 posts

I have been wanting Snowwiz to move to Whatcom County for over a decade. Still hope he finds his way up here soon! Eastern/Northern part of Western Whatcom County would be perfect for him.

I honestly think he should get a fresh start and move out of the region altogether. Somewhere like Alaska or Montana, perhaps Michigan or Maine if he's daring. Should at least get east of the Cascades IMO.
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Warm season 2017:

snow_wizard

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:14 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 10626 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

I honestly think he should get a fresh start and move out of the region altogether. Somewhere like Alaska or Montana, perhaps Michigan or Maine if he's daring. Should at least get east of the Cascades IMO.

Yeah...I think I need a sure thing. I have used up my lifetime allotment of disappointment. Central WA actually has fantastic snowy winters.
Death To Warm Anomalies!

winter.jpg

Winter 2016-17 Stats

Total snow = 9.8"
Days Max 32 or below = 1
Days Max Below 40 = 29
Coldest Min = 16

Phil

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:28 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11598 posts

Yeah...I think I need a sure thing. I have used up my lifetime allotment of disappointment. Central WA actually has fantastic snowy winters.

True, but do you want to spend your entire life in just one region? Personally, I don't think I could do that.

Warm season 2017:

TT-SEA

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20186 posts
I take exception to the comment that I just smash snowfall hopes. That is not my goal. Nature does that. And when it looks great then I am all over it like with the event this week in Portland.

You really need to move. Even moving to North Bend... which is so close you could keep everything else the same... would make snow routine enough that its not such a big deal.

puyallupjon

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

puyallupjon

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

In solidarity with Jim, I too will not be posting any longer and will be staying away for a while.

I live in the swamp, we rarely get sticking snow and quite frankly, I'm sick of seeing all the posts from the Oregon people.  I'm not glad they got snow.  I'm not glad they had an epic event.  I only care about what is in my back yard.

I'm done.  For a while.

Peace out from Swampland Jon.

• BLI snowman and Jesse like this

Deweydog

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11399 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA

In solidarity with Jim, I too will not be posting any longer and will be staying away for a while.

I live in the swamp, we rarely get sticking snow and quite frankly, I'm sick of seeing all the posts from the Oregon people. I'm not glad they got snow. I'm not glad they had an epic event. I only care about what is in my back yard.

I'm done. For a while.

Peace out from Swampland Jon.

Well if it makes you feel any better I pulled my groin on Friday while building a snow fort with my son and his friend on Thursday.

All roads lead to Walgreens.  

snow_wizard

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 10626 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Well if it makes you feel any better I pulled my groin on Friday while building a snow fort with my son and his friend on Thursday.

Ouch!

Might have to keep an eye on it for a possible hernia.
Death To Warm Anomalies!

winter.jpg

Winter 2016-17 Stats

Total snow = 9.8"
Days Max 32 or below = 1
Days Max Below 40 = 29
Coldest Min = 16

BLI snowman

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

BLI snowman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4961 posts
  • LocationRidgefield, WA

Old man.

Deweydog

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11399 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA

Old man.

Very.

Cold weather, heavy exertion and 41 years of degradation.
  • MossMan likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

OKwx2k4

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
As a poster in "Snowless Hell" Oklahoma, I enjoy reading your posts and thoughts as well Wiz. Snow will come back one day. It always does. I've been fairly quiet after the last few years of disappointment myself. Best wishes.

Jesse

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 14551 posts
  • LocationEast Vancouver, WA (300')

Very.

Cold weather, heavy exertion and 41 years of degradation.

A perfect storm.

Deweydog

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11399 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA

A perfect storm.

Uber groin deformation.
  • Perturbance likes this

Black Hole

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

Black Hole

Daily Contributor

• Admin
  • 1156 posts
  • LocationBountiful, Ut 84010 ~4575ft

Did it happen slowly over the course of two days?  :o

BS Atmospheric Science University of Utah May 2015

PhD Candidate Atmospheric Sciences

--Emphasis on: Forecasting, Mountain Weather, Numerical Weather Prediction, Data Assimilation

Winter 2016/17 Snow:
Nov 17: 3.2", 23: 1.6", 28: 9.2" (14)

Dec 1: .5", 16: 2.5", 25: 13" (16)

Jan 2: 5", 3: 2.4", 4: 7.7", 12: 1", 19: 1.2", 21: 13", 23: 6", 24: 1", 25: 3.7", 26: 2.5" (43.5) 

Feb 11: .5", 23: 6.5", 27: 4.5" (13.5)

Mar 5: 5.5" (5.5)

Apr 8: 2", 9: 1.8" (3.8)
Total: 95.3"

Lowest Temp: 2F

Deweydog

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11399 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA

Did it happen slowly over the course of two days? :o

Yeah, that was some pretty bad writing on my part. I felt the tug when I did it Thursday but it didn't bother me much until Friday.

OKwx2k4

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

OKwx2k4

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Yeah, that was some pretty bad writing on my part. I felt the tug when I did it Thursday but it didn't bother me much until Friday.

Sounds exactly like my inguinal hernia. Felt weird on Saturday, hospital on Monday. Lol

Deweydog

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11399 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA

Sounds exactly like my inguinal hernia. Felt weird on Saturday, hospital on Monday. Lol

I was a mess on Friday. Slight but steady improvement since then.

My wife, the nurse, just said to rub some snow on it and get back in the game.

OKwx2k4

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

OKwx2k4

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Lol. I got a chuckle out of that. Snow is good for lots of things.

Andie

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:21 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in North Texas

You're a valued friend and we want only the best for you Jim.

Everyone deserves a break to get perspective and rest.  Lord, I've needed a vacation for 3 yrs!

Be well, rub snow in you face frequently! ...better still get naked and take a snow bath. 

You and I have been on this and previous incarnations of this forum  a very long time, so I look forward to reading your posts again soon.

Be well !!  :wub:

• Jesse likes this
Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem, First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes................. "TwcMan say's...I've got the brass...to ban...your a**." .... TWCMan, the Legend.

TT-SEA

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:22 AM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20186 posts

You have a medical professional in your house as well??    Its so nice for many reasons.    :)

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationLake Forest, CA

So far you have not left, which is good. We never get snow here, except for in the mountains, but I know what a disappointing storm can be like. Today's storm is supposed to bring 2 to 3 inches of rain, but so far it only brought 0.28" to Fullerton since it started early this morning and it has rarely been raining hard enough for me to hear the roof dripping outside of my window. Also, during most storms, John Wayne Airport, which is the closest station to my house, is always one of the places to get the lowest rainfall totals. It almost always rains harder in Lake Forest, but there are no major airports there.

I actually love warm and sunny weather, but when it does rain, I want to see it pour like crazy, especially with our drought. The thing I hate most are cold, gray marine layer days when the weather is lousy, but all you get is some light morning drizzle that rarely amounts to more than a trace.

Rain has started to intensify now, so there is still some hope of getting pretty good totals, but probably less than 2 inches.