January 2014 Observations and Discussion

DominicR

The last few weeks have been frustrating to say the least, I do believe as we head into the end of Jan, we have the opportunity for some snow chances.  Surprisingly this winter has had many same trends as last year for us, all of our bigger snows came the last couple days of Jan, the in feb and march.

The last few weeks have been frustrating to say the least, I do believe as we head into the end of Jan, we have the opportunity for some snow chances.  Surprisingly this winter has had many same trends as last year for us, all of our bigger snows came the last couple days of Jan, the in feb and march.

Hopefully, the next 7 days look dry and warm over the Plains. I think Plains have a shot or two at decent winter storm. Just a matter of when.

Hey guys! This is midwestwx98, changed my name back to NebraskaWX! Hopefully things get going here around the end of the month, February seems to be a month where storms become very potent, and I'm hoping I get something to look forward to besides cold and dry. Models still aren't in our favor whatsoever in the long range, but I'm banking on the CFS to continue bringing a storm to the center of the country near the end of the month and hopefully models begin to latch on to this pattern change. Keep your fingers crossed people in the Plains! It's been our time for a storm, and we are overdue big time. 

I don't see it getting more active until February.  The extended models continue to show Northwest flow through the end of the month.  This has been a god awful winter in Nebraska.  You guys out East in Chicago are really fortunate to have gotten all this moisture.  We may be headed into another drought out in the plains if things don't change soon.

post-133-0-53782100-1389761088_thumb.gif

You know after this dry spell it is so hard to see 12Z GFS and not get excited of at least something showing up.  I almost forgot what it looked like for it to show a couple inches towards the end of the month.  I am always the glass is half full kind of guy, I believe our chances will come!!!

I haven't been following the LRC this year. But I hope that happens!

Holy cow I thought you fell off the face of the earth! Long time since I've seen you post good to hear from you Craig. I'm thinking we see something good around here towards the end of the month. Just hope we get hit straight on just not a glancing blow. It's a matter of time until we see a massive storm in the middle of the country.

Holy cow I thought you fell off the face of the earth! Long time since I've seen you post good to hear from you Craig. I'm thinking we see something good around here towards the end of the month. Just hope we get hit straight on just not a glancing blow. It's a matter of time until we see a massive storm in the middle of the country.

I agree. As jet-stream starts to move north in Feb I can see a couple of major winterstorms across Plains and Upper MW Feb/March.

Here's a CFSv2 map predicting a 10-day precip total from Jan 30-Feb 9...

I hope this is right Tom. Still a long ways out but def. something to keep an eye on. I would be happy if we got a 1/4 of that moisture. Anything right now would be good. Hope it keeps trending this way. I guess only time will tell

Not sure if you were following the Threads on the previous forum, but a couple weeks back I mentioned that there would be a favorable storm track that would develop across the Plains/Midwest mid/late January.  Seems to be coming into fruition in the models.  Hopefully that 500mb pattern does develop and an west/east storm track takes shape and coast to coast storminess may prevail.

Not sure if you were following the Threads on the previous forum, but a couple weeks back I mentioned that there would be a favorable storm track that would develop across the Plains/Midwest mid/late January.  Seems to be coming into fruition in the models.  Hopefully that 500mb pattern does develop and an west/east storm track takes shape and coast to coast storminess may prevail.

I did follow some of the posts, and remember you saying something about that. Is this based of LRC?

3rd day in the last 5 where Omaha reported 55+ mph wind gusts. High number today has been 67 mph in Norfolk and 64 in Lincoln. Probably will see more days like this as this dumb pattern holds on and the strong NW flow/clipper train continues for the next 7+ days. Tomorrow is going to be gorgeous though with highs near 60 and pretty light west winds

Yes. Very sad. Total amount of rain in the past 2 months is less than .25. Very sad. I really hope we are in the same position this summer as we were 2 years ago. Next 180 hours look to be all clipper systems hitting the same areas that have been getting the snow all year. I really hope we can get slammed with one or two the LRC is predicting, but not looking good. So frustrating and scary.

If February is this dry with no storms, this will end up being the worst winter I have ever lived through.  Now I am only 20, but that is still pretty bad.  I am so friggen jealous of Chicago.  They are closing in on 50 inches for the season.  I just don't see how it is possible for them to have that much more being that close.  Northwest flow is simply terrible for Nebraska.  Gosh I am just so frustrated, this is really getting me down.