Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

February 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

snow maniac

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

snow maniac

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMason Lake in Mason County. Washington
Only 7 inches total this year, I get shafted by the olympics every time the flow comes out of the north or NW

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:59 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts

Currently sitting at 38F and rainy with the thin remaining layer of snow quickly melting away, about a month ago this likely would have started as snow. I'm up to just over 24" of snow this season, 17" of which fell this month, only 1" of which fell in January. Temperatures have also been solidly below average, YYJ is finishing the month at about 38.4F compared with the seasonal monthly average of 41.1F.

• Canadian guy likes this

bainbridgekid

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

bainbridgekid

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts
  • LocationMountlake Terrace, WA (510 feet)
For those still frustrated by their lack of snow, just a reminder:

Chicago has had zero snow on the ground since Christmas. First time since the 1870's they've had a snowless January and February.
  • snow maniac likes this

2016-17 snowfall: 12"

12/8-9: 3.5"

12/23: 0.25"

12/31: 0.25"

2/3: 0.5"

2/5-6: 4"

2/26: 0.25"

2/27: 1.5"+0.5"+0.25"

2/28: 0.25"

3/7/17: 0.5"

3/8/17: 0.25"

epiceast

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:07 PM

epiceast

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts
  • LocationMissoula, MT

If you think this winter has been bad, and you are expecting enough global warming to close White Pass and Crystal Mountain over the next few decades, you are in for a lot of disappointment.

Jesse,

That was posted in the other thread. Don't need to put it in here. And also you can discuss that with me over there, but my point is that Snoqualmie/Stevens will be a lot more resilient to global warming.

Finally, they were closed for a winter 2 seasons ago. We can also discuss the semantics of "closed" like we do about everything with Tim here too if you would like.

umadbro

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:09 PM

umadbro

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationSherwood, Oregon
I'm at 11" scattered between 5 snow events. 4-5 inches on January 11th

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

umadbro

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

umadbro

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
But about a mile away up the hill into Sherwood was 8" and close to 10 in Tualatin on that january 11th snowstorm.

AlpineExperience

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

AlpineExperience

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2616 posts
  • LocationEastSide

Chicago has had zero snow on the ground since Christmas. First time since the 1870's they've had a snowless January and February.

About time.

umadbro

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:11 PM

umadbro

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

I'm willing to bet the majority of population is more than OK with that.

Phil

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:12 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14027 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.

About time.

Why do you always root against others getting snow?
  • Jesse likes this
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Cold season 2017/18:
Snowfall: 0"
Largest snowfall: 0"
Number of winter events: 0
Coldest High 67*F
Coldest low: 44*F
Highest sustained wind: 17mph
Highest wind gust: 26mph

AlpineExperience

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:14 PM

AlpineExperience

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2616 posts
  • LocationEastSide

Why do you always root against others getting snow?

Just hard to feel sorry for a city that sees copious snow every season 😂

They will more than make up for it next season !
  • Phil likes this

BLI snowman

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

BLI snowman

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5405 posts
  • LocationRidgefield, WA
Bye winter!!

See you next weekend!
  • Jesse and SilverFallsAndrew like this

SilverFallsAndrew

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

SilverFallsAndrew

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 10299 posts
  • LocationSilverton, OR

Bye winter!!

See you next weekend!

GFS alert! 🚨
  • MossMan likes this

Snowfall

2016-17: 47.2"

2015-16: 11.75"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"
2012-13: 16.75"
2011-12: 98.5"

nwsnow

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

nwsnow

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

GFS continues to show snow Sunday - Monday. Euro ensemble mean for PDX was 2+ inches through that period too and 4+ for HIO.

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

I don't buy it for the lowest elevations though. Too much onshore flow. Looks great for places with elevation.

• Timmy_Supercell likes this

epiceast

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:38 PM

epiceast

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts
  • LocationMissoula, MT

GFS continues to show snow Sunday - Monday. Euro ensemble mean for PDX was 2+ inches through that period too and 4+ for HIO.

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

I don't buy it for the lowest elevations though. Too much onshore flow. Looks great for places with elevation.

March is the only month where onshore flow is not a death sentence for snow. But I don't like the position of 850mb lows it mostly stays off shore or over VI, never really goes to east of the sound to really get the NW flow cranking.

• nwsnow likes this

BLI snowman

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:47 PM

BLI snowman

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5405 posts
  • LocationRidgefield, WA

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

All about the right precip intensity at the right times in a pattern like that. Looking juicier than the trough last week, at least.

CTA

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

CTA

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOlympia, WA

FWIW, the 2/5-2/6 storm at OLM brought .88" of all snow precip. That was a big snowfall for them, and it started much earlier than places further north.

We only got about 4-5" with that. Snowed for several hours but took forever for temp to drop enough for sticking. I'd guesstimate about 10-12" for the entire winter.

Jesse

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 16881 posts
  • LocationEast Vancouver, WA (300')

Jesse,

That was posted in the other thread. Don't need to put it in here. And also you can discuss that with me over there, but my point is that Snoqualmie/Stevens will be a lot more resilient to global warming.

Finally, they were closed for a winter 2 seasons ago. We can also discuss the semantics of "closed" like we do about everything with Tim here too if you would like.

I think you are misunderstanding my point. You seem to be leaning toward a pretty speedy global warming scenario in the PNW. If things play out that way, if this winter doesn't meet your standards you will find few if any that do, going forward.

epiceast

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:20 PM

epiceast

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts
  • LocationMissoula, MT

I think you are misunderstanding my point. You seem to be leaning toward a pretty speedy global warming scenario in the PNW. If things play out that way, if this winter doesn't meet your standards you will find few if any that do, going forward.

And you didn't understand mine. You're right I'm leaning towards it, but it's not a strong position, I was only assuming that so I could make my strong and primary argument that the Pass ski areas are in much better position against warm winters on 850mb level than west of the crest areas. I'll agree with you that despite the episodic nature of PNW snowfall for about 75% of the times, global warming will not help.  Although it might help here depending on the kind of gradients we get in the cold pool boundaries, if they would affect the storm track & strength positively in the intermountain west.

nwsnow

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

nwsnow

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

All about the right precip intensity at the right times in a pattern like that. Looking juicier than the trough last week, at least.

Yeah someone will probably score but doesn't seem like a good pattern for stuff that is too widespread. Whoever gets under some sustained moderate-heavy precip and is cool enough I guess.

• BLI snowman likes this

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts

It's nice having the prospect of a coveted weekend snowfall, however temperatures aloft are looking even more marginal than they were last weekend and don't appear to approach snow territory until Monday. Could be a more marginal repeat of what we just had. Doesn't mean some intense convective showers might not popup and give a brief snowcover to smaller areas, but it has a lot more going against it when the 850mbs are above -7C and 925s above -2C.

• ShawniganLake likes this

snow_wizard

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 10764 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Wow!

To think that area had their coldest winter since 1893 just a few years back. I think the atmosphere is as insane now as it was in the 1930s. Crazy roller coaster.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Coldest low so far 2017-18 = 42 

snow_wizard

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:09 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 10764 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

You're forgetting about the solar aspect. I'm betting on 2018-19 to be huge assuming next winter is warm ENSO.
  • Jesse likes this

Death To Warm Anomalies!

snow_wizard

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 10764 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

It's nice having the prospect of a coveted weekend snowfall, however temperatures aloft are looking even more marginal than they were last weekend and don't appear to approach snow territory until Monday. Could be a more marginal repeat of what we just had. Doesn't mean some intense convective showers might not popup and give a brief snowcover to smaller areas, but it has a lot more going against it when the 850mbs are above -7C and 925s above -2C.

The WRF is insisting on lowland snow in the 4 to 7 day period.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

snow_wizard

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 10764 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

March is the only month where onshore flow is not a death sentence for snow. But I don't like the position of 850mb lows it mostly stays off shore or over VI, never really goes to east of the sound to really get the NW flow cranking.

My area does very well with cold WSW flow which is depicted on the last few GFS runs.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:07 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts

My area does very well with cold WSW flow which is depicted on the last few GFS runs.

Cold WSW flow seems like a good snow pattern here as well, but so far it's only worked out well when there is a low level northerly flow.

snow_wizard

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:15 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 10764 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA
I plugged the SEA and PDX numbers for this winter into my winter ranking system and here are the results. My system uses a combination of...coldest month, 3 month average temp, extreme minimum temp, snowiest month, seasonal snowfall, and greatest 24 hour snowfall. I only do Dec - Feb for temps, but the snowfall includes the entire cold season so we could still add to that part of it.

Seattle ended up with 11 points compared to 16 for 2008-09.

PDX ended up with 17 points compared to 16 for 2008-09.

The combined total of 28 compares to 32 for 2008-09.

Portland kicked Seattle's butt this winter, but rest assured there are years Seattle returns the favor.
  • Jesse and Timmy_Supercell like this

Death To Warm Anomalies!

snow_wizard

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:18 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 10764 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Cold WSW flow seems like a good snow pattern here as well, but so far it's only worked out well when there is a low level northerly flow.

I've seen snow here a number of times with onshore flow. We can get some cold air damming against the west slopes of the Cascades with situations like what might happen this weekend / early next week. March is the month for snow with onshore flow.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Front Ranger

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 10157 posts
  • LocationWestminster, CO

We only got about 4-5" with that. Snowed for several hours but took forever for temp to drop enough for sticking. I'd guesstimate about 10-12" for the entire winter.

Interesting. OLM was 32 for the vast majority of it. I know they tend to do a bit better than Olympia proper.

Cool anomalies soothe the soul.

Front Ranger

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 10157 posts
  • LocationWestminster, CO

I plugged the SEA and PDX numbers for this winter into my winter ranking system and here are the results. My system uses a combination of...coldest month, 3 month average temp, extreme minimum temp, snowiest month, seasonal snowfall, and greatest 24 hour snowfall. I only do Dec - Feb for temps, but the snowfall includes the entire cold season so we could still add to that part of it.

Seattle ended up with 11 points compared to 16 for 2008-09.

PDX ended up with 17 points compared to 16 for 2008-09.

The combined total of 28 compares to 32 for 2008-09.

Portland kicked Seattle's butt this winter, but rest assured there are years Seattle returns the favor.

Sounds about right.

2008-09 was pretty awesome in how even it ended up for pretty much everyone north of Salem.

Cool anomalies soothe the soul.

CTA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

CTA

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOlympia, WA

Interesting. OLM was 32 for the vast majority of it. I know they tend to do a bit better than Olympia proper.

Not sure how accurate that was.  I am same exact elevation (204') and about 2 miles from there.  It was frustrating seeing all that snow melting. 

Bryant

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

Bryant

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1821 posts
  • LocationBellingham, Wa
12z GFS continues to show potential for next week

Geos

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

Geos