Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

March 2014 Observations & Discussion

March Plains Midwest Snow Thunderstrom Winter Spring Rain Blizzard
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

CentralNebWeather

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

Just put into a winter weather advisory here in Phelps County.  30-50 MPH winds and snow is just beginning, nasty travel just to our west.  I hear reports just west of Phelps County of up to 5 inches of heavy wet snow.  At this point I don't care how long it lasts, just so we can get some precipitation.  Schools  west of here also were closing early.  Report from Cambridge of 3-4 inches of heavy snow and no power.  Small but potent storm.  Arnold had 9 inches according to NWS North Platte.

CentralNebWeather

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
Heavy snow here, several inches of accumulation. Roads primarily just wet but very good moisture content. Much appreciated by all. Wishing it was an earlier season storm because we wouldn't have the melting that is occurring.

NEJeremy

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

I'm really getting pretty optimistic for at least precip chances here the next couple of weeks. The GFS has been showing 1.5-3.5" of qpf over eastern Nebraska for several runs now including a big snowstorm right around 4/1. Still fantasy land but who knows...

gabel23

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

gabel23

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationShelby, NE

Heavy snow here, several inches of accumulation. Roads primarily just wet but very good moisture content. Much appreciated by all. Wishing it was an earlier season storm because we wouldn't have the melting that is occurring.

I'm up to 2", estimated, and still snowing. The band of snow that was supposed to fall apart has maintained its strength. I'll take it, Jeremy I'm holding my breath with what the gfs is showing I would gladly take half the amount that it's showing.

CentralNebWeather

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
06 gfs shows up to 1 foot across Nebraska in the future. If gfs was correct this winter we would have record snowfall totals instead of the meager numbers that have materialized. How many times have we seen maps like this that don't verify? Could this be the one?

clintbeed1993

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

clintbeed1993

Forum Contributor

• Mods
  • 560 posts
  • LocationGrand Island, NE

06 gfs shows up to 1 foot across Nebraska in the future. If gfs was correct this winter we would have record snowfall totals instead of the meager numbers that have materialized. How many times have we seen maps like this that don't verify? Could this be the one?

I'm not too confident about it.  Seems like the GFS keeps pushing the heavy moisture back into fantasy land.  We all know how accurate it is in fantasy land.  I'm ready for it to warm up and for severe weather season!

NEJeremy

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Right around the 1-3rd of April is when I think we will see a big storm. At least that's what has been showing up pretty consistently on the GFS. Unfortunately lately it has been mostly rain, when a few days ago almost every run showed snow for Nebraska. Bring on the severe weather though. I'm getting the itch to go out chasing and hopefully won't have to wait til May

FarmerRick

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

FarmerRick

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationJust NW of Omaha

Meanwhile...

http://www.instantwe...ASNOWI&hour=084

clintbeed1993

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

clintbeed1993

Forum Contributor

• Mods
  • 560 posts

That will probably miss Omaha to the East.  Might clip you guys with some light accumulations, but wouldn't expect anything big.

CentralNebWeather

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
Unexpected snow. Probably close to 3 inches here in holdrege and still snowing heavily. Have been down to 1/2 mile visibility. Not the best night for the prom. Cold enough that some is starting to accumulate on the streets. Think highways are ok for now but tonight might get slick.

NEJeremy

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE
Blizzard watches up north in so dak. and of course only a 20% chance of rain here but lots of wind. Someone shoot me please....

clintbeed1993

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

clintbeed1993

Forum Contributor

• Mods
  • 560 posts

Blizzard watches up north in so dak. and of course only a 20% chance of rain here but lots of wind. Someone shoot me please....

Can't really say you're surprised can you?  This year will go down as one of the most pathetic screw jobs this state has ever seen.  Seems we might have to start sacrificing children to mother nature for gosh sakes.

NEJeremy

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

I could leave now and make it up to my parents house near the SD/ND border south of Bismarck just in time for the blizzard. The totals have been upped to 10-15" with 30-45 mph winds..

clintbeed1993

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

clintbeed1993

Forum Contributor

• Mods
  • 560 posts

Dust Storm Warning today for Mccook Nebraska area.  WTF??  I cannot believe Nebraska is slowing but surely turning into the desert southwest.  Extreme drought is creeping back into Southwestern Nebraska, and it won't be long before it makes it further East if this pattern doesn't change.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: March, Plains, Midwest, Snow, Thunderstrom, Winter, Spring, Rain, Blizzard