3/13 - 3/14 Midwest/Lakes Snow System

Tom

You can really see the LES feature around MKE and south

Yup, good signal this far out.  Where ever that lake band sets up it will snow heavily given how cold 850's are and the warmth of the lake.  Current lake shore water temps are running in the upper 30's and low/mid 40's in the middle of the lake.  

mswt-00.gif

Cold temps leading up to this event will keep the ground frozen. No problem accumulating.

After tonight, I would imagine the ground would be frozen again.  Higher snow ratios and cold ground will certainly help with accumulations.  Hope this can continue to trend wetter.

• Like 1

This is an EC storm, not a midwest storm. Midwest gets peanuts compared to what they will get. Btw, all the snow they end up getting will disappear in notime, thats why I hate March snows. :lol:

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

I really haven't been paying attention lately, just assuming it was going to be the usual dry and cold. Looks like I might be able to fire up the snowblower to use up the rest of the gas? Not sure I believe the NAM at this range. But the frigid temps before this hits will help with accumulations early next week for sure.

12z NAM...total qpf thru Hr 84 with snow still falling over E IA/WI/IL/N IN/MI...MKE/Racine seeing the easterly flow off the lake...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/namconus/2017031012/namconus_apcpn_ncus_28.png

I really haven't been paying attention lately, just assuming it was going to be the usual dry and cold. Looks like I might be able to fire up the snowblower to use up the rest of the gas? Not sure I believe the NAM at this range. But the frigid temps before this hits will help with accumulations early next week for sure.

Euro gives you snow so I wouldn't siphon the gas just yet! 

12z NAM-high rez thru Sun 6pm...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/nam3km/2017031012/nam3km_ref_frzn_us_60.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/nam3km/2017031012/nam3km_apcpn_us_20.png

Tom how is LE looking for Chicago?

Looking better each run. I'm pretty optimistic there will be a lake plume on the back end of the storm and it doesn't pivot through quickly which could add up totals in SE WI/NE IL. 850's crash as cold core trough swings through over head on Tuesday morning.