2017 Spring/Summer Severe Wx Thread

Tom

Here's the 12Z GFS today. Definitely shifted a bit south than last nights 0Z run. Numbers actually are higher though than the run last night. 1km SRH= 500+ and 3k SRH 900+ and 6km bulk shear of 87kts!!

Just further for me to drive I guess :P

Might wanna visit our lone member @Okwx!  He's been getting some active wx of late and will probably be in the sweet spot this go-around.

A couple days ago I was pretty excited about next week's pattern.  Now the southeast model trend has Iowa potentially gettting stuck with chilly, showery weather for several days.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

12z Euro is saying "good bye" to any widespread severe wx chances for many of our members except for Okwx...pretty large cold pool in the central CONUS Day 5-10.  There may be a window Tue-Wed period east of IA/NE???

Definitely gaining some much needed soil moisture and our creeks and rivers are all full. Quite a turnaround in a week. Much needed so very glad for the rainfall and storms.

I bet everything looks lush and green with the rolling hills down by you.  I'm recalling visual memories from last year when I drove down Interstate 44 through OK.  Great landscape!

Definitely gaining some much needed soil moisture and our creeks and rivers are all full. Quite a turnaround in a week. Much needed so very glad for the rainfall and storms.

You're already in an enhanced risk (I think) for day 6. That's insane. You're about to be flirting with a monstrous outbreak next week man.

Some areas down in Missouri/Illinois may need a boat by next weekend.  Models have generally come back nw with the big lows this week.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Some areas down in Missouri/Illinois may need a boat by next weekend.  Models have generally come back nw with the big lows this week.

00z GFS looking worse for the corn belt...next 10 days looking like some serious flooding concerns and bad for crop production...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017042400/gfs_apcpn_ncus_40.png

It's pretty amusing how nature decides to dig these powerful storms so far south into the southern Plains and its the end of April!  Both 12z GFS/EURO really have shifted the track of the powerful weekend system down into TX and cuts up towards the lower lakes.  Ultimately, a lot of us will stay clear of the real strong severe wx threat except for our friend down in OK!

Very sobering and sad night tonight in Texas. 5 dead and nearly 50 injured. Briefly caught the wedge that went through Canton, and then got a much better view of the second tornado that followed behind it just to the west. Stupid trees prevented much of a view. Saw some trees debarked and talked to a lady that had her trailer home destroyed. There was nothing left but a pile of debris. Hate chases that end like this. Will post video and pics when I get a chance. Spending the night near Oklahoma City before driving the rest of the way home tomorrow

Damage surveys from the Texas tornadoes on 4/29 that I chased. Some very impressive information including one of the tornadoes on the ground for over 40 miles and 80 minutes straight and was almost a mile wide at one point! That one wasn't even the strongest, as another one was an EF-4 with winds up to 185 mph.

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201705021651-KFWD-NOUS44-PNSFWD

Nebraska Peeps!  This is about as impressive as it gets for a Day 7 severe wx outlook...the pattern next week looks quite interesting...

C_jirIvV0AAGm7r.jpg

I'm looking forward to next week. It should be active! It's interesting to see how different the models are which of course is understandable since this is a week out. Looking at the GFS, it looks like Monday could have an opportunity if the cap breaks/energy arrives in time in Nebraska. Tuesday looks better further south into Kansas. Wednesday which is the day of this map, actually didn't look that impressive on the GFS. I've heard talk about things looking good again towards the end of the week, but again GFS isn't that impressive. We'll see how it changes.

I'm looking forward to next week. It should be active! It's interesting to see how different the models are which of course is understandable since this is a week out. Looking at the GFS, it looks like Monday could have an opportunity if the cap breaks/energy arrives in time in Nebraska. Tuesday looks better further south into Kansas. Wednesday which is the day of this map, actually didn't look that impressive on the GFS. I've heard talk about things looking good again towards the end of the week, but again GFS isn't that impressive. We'll see how it changes.

Was going to say, I looked at the GFS and didn't really see all that much. Wonder how the EURO and CMC are handling it. Either way, that map is eye candy. I'd love to get some quality severe weather to fire in Eastern Neb, we've got shafted pretty hard so far.

The 3km hi res NAM breaks out plenty of storms with good helicity tracks between Omaha and Des Moines tomorrow afternoon and with a warm front in the area there should be plenty of helicity available. I'm interested to see what the HRRR says tomorrow morning as most forecasts I've read think nothing during the day. Tuesday will be a chase day down in western Oklahoma and Thursday that way as well. It should be a fun week! The hi res NAM did show some nice storms in central Nebraska Tuesday afternoon so maybe the risk will include areas further north eventually

I'm confused as to why were not even in a slight risk yet...

I have noticed SPC is always gun shy to come out with a higher level risk even a couple days out.  They seemingly increase their risk outlooks as you get closer to the day.  Having said that, they issued a larger Slight Risk today.

http://weather2020.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/day2otlk_0600-1-640x436.gif

SPC just issued a Meso discussion for some strong storms that will likely erupt and track easterly towards Chitown later this evening.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/mcd0716.gif

James' area may be rocking around 4:00pm or so...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/hrrr/2017051513/hrrr_ref_frzn_ncus_8.png

Chitown by 8:00pm...bow echo signature on the latest HRRR run...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/hrrr/2017051513/hrrr_ref_frzn_ncus_12.png

NE Peeps still looking like a hot spot for chasing!

C_3n05pUAAA4kCn.jpg

It'll be interesting to see if the SPC updates to an Enhanced risk here soon. Not sure if they will, but I think this environment is really favorable, just need higher moisture return.

SPC just issued a Meso discussion for some strong storms that will likely erupt and track easterly towards Chitown later this evening.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/mcd0716.gif

James' area may be rocking around 4:00pm or so...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/hrrr/2017051513/hrrr_ref_frzn_ncus_8.png

Chitown by 8:00pm...bow echo signature on the latest HRRR run...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/hrrr/2017051513/hrrr_ref_frzn_ncus_12.png

Hope it holds together further east just for some moisture if not storms.

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

I'm not the greatest at reading severe weather graphs, but from what I can tell, the shear is somewhat strong tomorrow, and instability is through the roof. However, the updraft helicity and supercell formation looks awful. Is it because the LCL is low? I just don't understand why this isn't a massive outbreak, the instability is ridiculous:

instability.JPG

Some nasty storms firing up in NE IA...there was a Tornado warned storm but has since diminished near Decorah, IA...

http://www.weather.gov/images/arx/wxstory/Tab1FileL.png

There was a Tornado warned storm but has since diminished near Decorah, IA...