2017 Spring/Summer Severe Wx Thread

Tom

Rush hour is going to be impacted for those near OMA...and possibly LNK if there is development to the west as the line of storms sags south...

http://climate.cod.edu/data/nexrad/OAX/N0Q/OAX.N0Q.20170616.2232.gif

Rush hour is going to be impacted for those near OMA...and possibly LNK if there is development to the west as the line of storms sags south...

http://climate.cod.edu/data/nexrad/OAX/N0Q/OAX.N0Q.20170616.2232.gif

HRRR was showing us in Lincoln getting smacked but the development is further NE now and we are going to get shafted I think. Omaha is directly in the path of these storms. I'm heading up there shortly to watch it, those storms in Norfolk are intense!

• Like 1

Two broad areas of circulation. I'm watching live storm chasing and there is tremendous amount of lighting! Seen a couple of positive strikes coming out of the anvil, you don't want to get hit by one of those! 

Hopefully we get some development near your area, if not both of us look like we'll get shafted.

• Like 1

Hopefully we get some development near your area, if not both of us look like we'll get shafted.

No kidding, I'm watching and hoping for some back building! If that supercell just south of Norfolk stays together I might be heading east to chase! 

I'm excited for you guys in NE to finally see some legit severe wx!  Snap a lot of pics, I bet those clouds are photogenic.

Here is one for you Tom, I'm about 60-70 miles away from those supercells and the anvil has darken my sky. Also hearing some rumbling of thunder; again I can't say enough, I'm not sure I have ever seen this much lighting in a long time on radar! 

IMG_0015.JPG

• Like 1

Here is one for you Tom, I'm about 60-70 miles away from those supercells and the anvil has darken my sky. Also hearing some rumbling of thunder; again I can't say enough, I'm not sure I have ever seen this much lighting in a long time on radar! 

I'm jealous!  It's been too long since I've seen a good storm.  Last summer I had a couple good ones that crossed over my place.  But man, today's storms are insane!

• Like 1

Now the storm one county to my north just went tornado warned! I'm for sure going out now! 

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Omaha/Valley Nebraska
609 PM CDT FRI JUN 16 2017

The National Weather Service in Omaha has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
Southwestern Madison County in northeastern Nebraska...
Northwestern Platte County in northeastern Nebraska...
East central Boone County in northeastern Nebraska...

* Until 645 PM CDT

* At 609 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located 5 miles southwest of Newman Grove, or 32 miles
southwest of Norfolk, moving southeast at 35 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado and golf ball size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree
damage is likely.

* This dangerous storm will be near...
Lindsay around 620 PM CDT.

Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include
Tarnov.

This includes Highway 81 in Nebraska near mile marker 126.

Lincoln got clobbered as well.  There's a report of 87 mph just nw of town, plus several wind damage reports.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Lincoln got clobbered as well.  There's a report of 87 mph just nw of town, plus several wind damage reports.

Yes they did, reports of 80-95 mph winds around Lincoln and at the NWS office in Valley. I captured the approaching shelf cloud coming into my town, thank goodness wind and hail wasn't that bad. I was able to capture blowing dust with the approaching gust front; that was pretty sweet! Got nickel sized hail in town and about .50" of rain, thank goodness the wind wasn't as bad as Tuesday night. 

shelf2.JPG

blowingdust.JPG

shelf1.JPG

1st.JPG

2nd.JPG

• Like 3

Jeremy wtf man, where were you at?! This storm was insane. Hands down the best storm I've seen in Omaha. I'll post better videos but this is all my phone would allow, that gust in that first video actually toppled a tree over by where I was at. This storm was truly unreal.

trim.2D09C6C0-1A9A-42DB-B35B-5329F71E78C6.MOV

trim.7B83055A-B0EC-4985-9275-712D61E54349.MOV

IMG_0667.JPG

• Like 3

So far, no severe threat in my area, although, SEMI is in the "Slight" risk category, instead of "Marginal", which gives my area a better chance of developing t'stms. We will see. :blink:

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

I'm out in the Black Hills camping etc. Pissed I missed it!!

Jeremy wtf man, where were you at?! This storm was insane. Hands down the best storm I've seen in Omaha. I'll post better videos but this is all my phone would allow, that gust in that first video actually toppled a tree over by where I was at. This storm was truly unreal.

Hands down, the best severe weather outbreak I've seen in Nebraska. I'm still on cloud 9 about it, it was truly amazing seeing such a powerful line of storms come through Omaha and Lincoln.

To potentially add to the already awesome week, SPC has strong wording for Wednesday over the same areas.

Here's the discussion from Omaha:

Isolated to scattered thunderstorms are expected to develop
Wednesday afternoon as instability increased to 4000+ J/kg. The
storms should become more widespread with the h85 low level jet at
30 to 35 kts in the afternoon increasing to 50-60 kt Wednesday
night. Severe weather appears a good bet with all modes of severe
weather possible.
Locally heavy rain will also be expected with
the thunderstorms.  Details in the frontal and surface low track
will need to be worked out as they vary from northern Iowa to
southern MN as being a little more enhanced related to the surface
low track. Highs Wednesday should be in the 90s.

• Like 2

Hands down, the best severe weather outbreak I've seen in Nebraska. I'm still on cloud 9 about it, it was truly amazing seeing such a powerful line of storms come through Omaha and Lincoln.

To potentially add to the already awesome week, SPC has strong wording for Wednesday over the same areas.

Here's the discussion from Omaha:

Isolated to scattered thunderstorms are expected to develop

Wednesday afternoon as instability increased to 4000+ J/kg. The

storms should become more widespread with the h85 low level jet at

30 to 35 kts in the afternoon increasing to 50-60 kt Wednesday

night. Severe weather appears a good bet with all modes of severe

weather possible. Locally heavy rain will also be expected with

the thunderstorms.  Details in the frontal and surface low track

will need to be worked out as they vary from northern Iowa to

southern MN as being a little more enhanced related to the surface

low track. Highs Wednesday should be in the 90s.

Isn't it ironic that we are seeing the best part of severe wx season in the month of June when climo wise the season begins to shut down this month???  Glad you finally scored a winner!

• Like 2

No severe weather here in SEMI for the time being. It looks quiet down the road, with scattered pm storms on and off, but nothing in the severe category. Just strong.

April 2024:

Big Boomers Wed night???  Same places seem to be getting rocked this season over and over again.

@NebraskaWx, take 2???

DDMmJwMUMAAb_5C.jpg

3 days out, SPC showing a Slight Risk...but we know the way it usually trends...

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day3otlk_0730.gif?1498435875157

• Like 1

Still cannot get any severe weather IMBY. :wacko:

April 2024:

Still cannot get any severe weather IMBY. :wacko:

Not severe, but Marshall got lucky with a heavy pop-up shower again yesterday about 2:30. Was still puddles in the streets 4 hrs later when I got home. When GRR calls for storms - nada. Staving off drought conditions, at least locally at home we are. A lot of far south MI isn't so lucky though looking at this map. Crazy contrasts with floods north, drought south.

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

SPC upgraded to an Enhanced Risk over much of NE...

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk_1300.gif?1498573059039

It's going to be close for us in LNK I think. The HRRR is bad for the city, consistently showing a hole of no storms over us. I don't think that will happen, but I have seen it be spot on before.

The Hi-Rez NAM shows a nice bowing segment around 1 am though, if I'm reading that correctly it could be producing some pretty nasty winds at this time-frame:

bowing.JPG

• Like 1

Not severe, but Marshall got lucky with a heavy pop-up shower again yesterday about 2:30. Was still puddles in the streets 4 hrs later when I got home. When GRR calls for storms - nada. Staving off drought conditions, at least locally at home we are. A lot of far south MI isn't so lucky though looking at this map. Crazy contrasts with floods north, drought south.

attachicon.gif20170624 Midwest past month %rain.png

Its been a wacky thunderstorm season thus far. Whenever I see a good line of storms racing eastward towards my area, they tend to suddenly fizzle out as they arrive in SEMI. I guess too much dry air ova the region. :blink:

• Like 1

April 2024:

Its been a wacky thunderstorm season thus far. Whenever I see a good line of storms racing eastward towards my area, they tend to suddenly fizzle out as they arrive in SEMI. I guess too much dry air ova the region. :blink:

Me thinks Omaha peeps quietly smuggled their dome across the state line!

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

It's going to be close for us in LNK I think. The HRRR is bad for the city, consistently showing a hole of no storms over us. I don't think that will happen, but I have seen it be spot on before.

The Hi-Rez NAM shows a nice bowing segment around 1 am though, if I'm reading that correctly it could be producing some pretty nasty winds at this time-frame:

That line is looking impressive. I think it holds together as it approaches LNK/OMA later tonight.

Did the storms rock in NE/IA last night???

I'll take those MCS' all summer long! I recorded the shelf cloud as it came over head last night; the lighting did a good job of lighting it up. We lucked out and only seen winds gusting 50-55 mph. I ended up with 1.8" of rain and no damage to my garden. Again, I'll take that the rest of the summer, just keep the damage away! 

• Like 1

I'll take those MCS' all summer long! I recorded the shelf cloud as it came over head last night; the lighting did a good job of lighting it up. We lucked out and only seen winds gusting 50-55 mph. I ended up with 1.8" of rain and no damage to my garden. Again, I'll take that the rest of the summer, just keep the damage away! 

That's awesome.  TBH, I'm kinda jealous of all the storms you guys have been getting.  There is something about night time storms and vivid lighting that I just love.  I necessarily don't need the wind/damage as you mentioned.  Good to hear you cashed in!

BTW, how is your garden holding up???

• Like 1

That's awesome.  TBH, I'm kinda jealous of all the storms you guys have been getting.  There is something about night time storms and vivid lighting that I just love.  I necessarily don't need the wind/damage as you mentioned.  Good to hear you cashed in!

BTW, how is your garden holding up???

Doing pretty good! I have a couple tomato plants that look like they got a sniff of something, but it looks like they are coming out of it. Potatoes, cucumbers, onions, green beans and pepper plants look great! We have been getting excellent and timely rains all summer, hopefully it continues! Your right, there is nothing better than watching a night time summer storm, I love how you can see the gust front roll through and feel that rain cooled air rush through! It's awesome! 

• Like 2