April 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

I'm honestly not trolling here and being 100% honest, but this spring really hasn't seemed THAT bad to me. Maybe I have just been busy with school. But I've still been able to get different types of outdoor activity in at least once a week.

It would be great if a bunch of people moved from the PNW and left more room for those who actually appreciate it here. Sadly almost all of those threats are ultimately hollow.

Last time you told me to do that (last year?), and I suggested you do the same, you threatened to report me via PM. Please stop posting this.

Last time you told me to do that (last year?), and I suggested you do the same, you threatened to report me via PM. Please stop posting this.

Are you mad at me for being ok with the rain too? :/

I guess I can start complaining more if it keeps me out of trouble and makes people happy.

In other news.... 64 at PDX?? Close one!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Are you mad at me for being ok with the rain too? :/

I guess I can start complaining more if it keeps me out of trouble and makes people happy.

No.   Just stop constantly criticizing people who are venting over unusually persistent rain.  You can tell us how much you love it all you want.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No. Just stop constantly criticizing people who are venting over unusually persistent rain. You can tell us how much you love it all you want.

I'm sure the people who hate the rain will unanimously disagree, but the complaining has been more persistent than any criticising I've done OR the rain itself.

Looks lik I missed Opiniontard Tuesday!

People who are obsessed with weather usually have opinions on the weather.   Go figure!  

Never been able to figure out how to change the weather... but it does feel good to vent when warranted.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Turned into a decent afternoon here... took a couple hours to get out and do some maintenance mostly in sunshine.   I squished my way around the yard.    Seems like its been a little wet.  

People who are obsessed with weather usually have opinions on the weather. Go figure!

Never been able to figure out how to change the weather... but it does feel good to vent when warranted.

Having an opinion and the crap you two engage in are two different things.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Seriously March 2014-November 2016 were weather hell for Jesse and I.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

So every one of those 69 days was a complete loss because it rained some at some point?

Worth noting he gets a lot more precip than Seattle proper given the orographic enhancement...probably on the order of 50% more precip over a year.

Which brings me to the main reason I picked the west side of Portland metro: relatively less precip than the east side and the extra sunshine from the Hillsboro Hole in the summer (days with a relatively shallow marine layer).

To put it into perspective some areas around Hillsboro average 35-36" a year while areas in extreme eastern metro like Corbett and Sandy average 60-70"

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Worth noting he gets a lot more precip than Seattle proper given the orographic enhancement...probably on the order of 50% more precip over a year.

Which brings me to the main reason I picked the west side of Portland metro: relatively less precip than the east side and the extra sunshine from the Hillsboro Hole in the summer (days with a relatively shallow marine layer).

To put it into perspective some areas around Hillsboro average 35-36" a year while areas in extreme eastern metro like Corbett and Sandy average 60-70"

This is true... but also part of the deal here.   

I am not complaining about the fact that is can be nicer in Seattle than out here.   That is a given.

I am comparing the normal percentage of days with rain for my location for Feb-Apr to what has actually happened.   

This is true... but also part of the deal here.   

I am not complaining about the fact that is can be nicer in Seattle than out here.   That is a given.

I am comparing the normal percentage of days with rain for my location for Feb-Apr to what has actually happened.   

Curious what station you use for representative "normal" data there.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Just a small bit of hail today, 5 min. worth.  Amazes me there is convection at 55'  It certainly didn't feel like my days in FL

Have you found this spring to be annoyingly wet?   :)

Should be in the bag. Will tie the record for latest "first" occurrence ever three ways. Must be something about 4/18.

Definitely a lot closer than what most were thinking for today.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The streak will end on Friday. All good things must come to an end. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Another mild rainless day, we've now passed 60F two days in a row. If it's not going to rain this beats cold/wind/cloudy that we sometimes get stuck with. Based on the way things are trending we'll probably end right around average for rainfall this month. That compares with places only 10~20 miles north that have seen nearly double their average monthly rainfall already.

Troughalicious.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/3B8F01E4-713F-4C59-A1DA-9850E98723EA_zpsgagsvzxq.jpg

• Like 1

That would be a much more enjoyable pattern for many here.

Yeah, NPAC jet retracts (as expected) following Eurasian AAM

extraction, which shortens the wavetrain. Yet it may fail to throw a stable ridge up over the west coast. If this can't do it, I'm not sure anything can pull it off.

Seeing the trough shift a little inland like that would be great.

That is way inland compared to the last couple months.   

Technically the GOA trough retrogrades farther west due to the intraseasonal factors tightening the wavetrain. The inland trough look is a reflection of this variability, rather than a shift in the background state.

Yeah, NPAC jet retracts (as expected) following Eurasian AAM

extraction, which shortens the wavetrain. Yet it may fail to throw a stable ridge up over the west coast. If this can't do it, I'm not sure anything can pull it off.

Nothing can. No west coast ridging until mid 2018, and by then we'll all be deep in the next ice age anyway.

A forum for the end of the world.