April 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

You sound like me in 2014 and 2015. Except you complain about ten times more.

I don't have lofty expectations... just something less than daily rain.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

But if you just drive 5 miles away... the world is sopping wet and thoroughly saturated.   

I have not heard a single person in real life say anything good about the weather this spring.   But then its literally been raining almost every single day since the end of January.   

Hopefully May is more dynamic with periods of westerly and offshore flow. We can still have a rainy month without being stuck under persistent SW flow. Probably would be a drier pattern for your area than we've been seeing.

Heading out of town... but tomorrow looks like it could be quite nice in the Seattle area between c-zones.      Friday and Saturday should be mostly nice as well.   Hopefully we are slowly turning the corner now.

1ref_t1sfc_f18.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hopefully May is more dynamic with periods of westerly and offshore flow. We can still have a rainy month without being stuck under persistent SW flow. Probably would be a drier pattern for your area than we've been seeing.

Almost has to be drier regionally and overall... and ideally we would have some convective days and your area gets hit hard. 

May - September can be wet without being wet on many days.    

All I wanted was something less than daily blowtorching. But nature didn't care then and doesn't care now. ;)

Nope... nature never cares.  

Heading out of town... but tomorrow looks like it could be quite nice in the Seattle area between c-zones.      Friday and Saturday should be mostly nice as well.   Hopefully we are slowly turning the corner now.

1ref_t1sfc_f18.png

This week has turned out to be not quite the washout you feared looking at the models last week.

A forum for the end of the world.

This week has turned out to be not quite the washout you feared looking at the models last week.

Ironically... the focus of the moisture shifted south.    That does not happen too often.

The frequent rain and heavy overcast have been notable the last three days. Pretty Novemberish, especially by late-April standards.

Yep, but much drier further north. Sunday was wet pretty much everywhere, as I personally experienced.

Oh, that's right, you're actually in the region. So your silly contrarianism has a bit of gravitas. Better get the most out of it while you can!

Been three pretty gross days here in a row.

I am really confused... you say its been "gross" and Andrew said it was "nasty".   But when we had a sunny, warm day recently it was described as "gorgeous".    So we don't need rain right now?   

I am really confused... you say its been "gross" and Andrew said it was "nasty". But when we had a sunny, warm day recently it was described as "gorgeous".

I'm sure if we polled the douggie firs they would say it's been gorgeous.

I am really confused... you say its been "gross" and Andrew said it was "nasty". But when we had a sunny, warm day recently it was described as "gorgeous". So we don't need rain right now?

All descriptors are offensive and worthy of deep, condescending discussion.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Oh, that's right, you're actually in the region. So your silly contrarianism has a bit of gravitas. Better get the most out of it while you can!

I was Fri-Mon, back in CO now.

Contrarianism? I was talking to Tim, who previously was fretting about copious rainfall this week in his general area. Hasn't really materialized.

A forum for the end of the world.

Saturday is still a go on the 0z GFS :)

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017042600/gfs_mslp_pcpn_nwus_16.png

Jesse liked your post... he likes the prospects of a rainy weekend after a rainy week.    Or he is very worried about a 5-square mile area on VI.    Anyone short of rain will get all the sympathy.   :)  

Its interesting battle between models.    The 12Z ECMWF went the other way.   Guessing now the 00Z run will come back to a little more wet.

Jesse liked your post... he likes the prospects of a rainy weekend after a rainy week.    Or he is very worried about a 5-square mile area on VI.    Anyone short of rain will get all the sympathy.   :)  

Its interesting battle between models.    The 12Z ECMWF went the other way.   Guessing now the 00Z run will come back to a little more wet.

Oh Tim. I'm just amused at how brilliantly VancouverIslandSouth is trolling you. I honestly didn't know he had it in him.

• Like 1

Oh Tim. I'm just amused at how brilliantly VancouverIslandSouth is trolling you. I honestly didn't know he had it in him.

I was thinking the other day that I should give him props.    I know he is sort of trolling... but I think he is genuinely concerned too.

Saturday is still a go on the 0z GFS :)

Your homeland model is siding with the Europeans for Saturday...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gem/2017042600/gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_16.png