Days Per Year of 90°> Where You Live

Guest happ

They're *associated* with mountains, but not *confined* to mountains, because the winds and their effects are strongest in the valleys *downwind* of the mountains. They're still called "chinook winds".

Get it?

This. Thank you.

Flatiron will literally go around in circles all day with this of stuff, though. Debating small details and nitpicking technicalities. It's like the dude has no life.

• Like 1

If you're so adamant about it, feel free to provide a source that references Chinook winds 500+ mi from the Rockies.

I was going to point out the occurences in the upper Midwest (Wisconsin) but it looks like Phil beat me to it.

This. Thank you.

Flatiron will literally go around in circles all day with this of stuff, though. Debating small details and nitpicking technicalities. It's like the dude has no life.

We already moved on. You should, too.

And take a lesson from how this most recent conversation went with literally everyone but yourself. Even Phil, who's not known to be the most reasonable and civil poster here.

A forum for the end of the world.

You seem butthurt. You need to get better at admitting to when you are wrong. :)

I was able to have a civil conversation with everyone involved. You're the only one still trying to make this personal.

That, my friend, is the definition of butt hurt. Literally no one else here struggles having a discussion with me the way you do. Can you admit you might have something to do with that? :)

I was able to have a civil conversation with everyone involved. You're the only one still trying to make this personal.

That, my friend, is the definition of butt hurt. Literally no one else here struggles having a discussion with me the way you do. Can you admit you might have something to do with that? :)

Um, yeah, no. You frustrate others with your antics as well.

Wasn't Phil commenting on the level of "stupididiot" it takes to be so obtuse about something just a few posts ago? That's actually more personal than I have gotten this entire discussion.

Um, yeah, no. You frustrate others with your antics as well.

Wasn't Phil commenting on the level of "stupididiot" it takes to be so obtuse about something just a few posts ago? That's actually more personal than I have gotten this entire discussion.

Considering you show very little give and take, refuse to acknowledge valid points, and won't shoulder your own responsibility in unproductive discussions, you're not the person to be advising me to "admit when I'm wrong". In this very conversation, in fact, I acknowledged other points and made concessions. You've demonstrated no ability to do even that.

Moving on!

Considering you show very little give and take, refuse to acknowledge valid points, and won't shoulder your own responsibility in unproductive discussions, you're not the person to be advising me to "admit when I'm wrong". In this very conversation, in fact, I acknowledged other points and made concessions. You've demonstrated no ability to do even that.

Moving on!

None of this has anything to do with the discussion, or what we were talking about mere minutes ago. You are just rambling.

None of this has anything to do with the discussion, or what we were talking about mere minutes ago. You are just rambling.

Phil was able to actually engage in conversation, despite resorting to ad hominem occasionally. He also provided evidence when asked, something you have rarely been able or willing to do. That's why the conversation between Phil and I went better.

You told me to "admit when I was wrong". Consider the source and consider the above. It had everything to do with this discussion and why you felt the need to jump back in and attack me this afternoon.

Jesse, if you're so adamant about me admitting I'm wrong, feel free to point to where I said Chinook winds can't occur in the Midwest.

Oh, that's right. You don't do evidence.   <_>

I just refuse to play your stupid games. You implied multiple times they were just associated with the Rocky Mountains. You know that, I know that. Why should I have to pull up a post?

Phil was able to actually engage in conversation, despite resorting to ad hominem occasionally. He also provided evidence when asked, something you have rarely been able or willing to do. That's why the conversation between Phil and I went better.

You told me to "admit when I was wrong". Consider the source and consider the above. It had everything to do with this discussion and why you felt the need to jump back in and attack me this afternoon.

I have respectful conversations with many on here. I have little respect for you or your style, though. Especially your inability to admit when you're wrong, your tendency to attempt to squirm your way out of arguments, change what the original discussion was about after the fact, focus on small wording details rather than larger points, etc, etc, etc. It all just feels slimy to me. Like I've said before, look into politics.

I just refuse to play your stupid games. You implied multiple times they were just associated with the Rocky Mountains. You know that, I know that. Why should I have to pull up a post?

It's not a game. It's holding your feet to the fire, and you don't like it. That's what this boils down to time and again.

You infer your own beefs with me (butt hurt) into these conversations, and then make them about trying to prove me wrong. Look how this started. I asked a question. I didn't make a definitive statement, I didn't say wxstatman was wrong, I simply said that in my experience, "chinook winds" was a term almost always associated with the lee side of mountain areas. That the common definition applied to those areas. 

Those are the facts. Stick to them. You're the one trying to play your own "gotcha" game here.

I have respectful conversations with many on here. I have little respect for you or your style, though. Especially your inability to admit when you're wrong, your tendency to attempt to squirm your way out of arguments, change what the original discussion was about after the fact, focus on small wording details rather than larger points, etc, etc, etc. It all just feels slimy to me. Like I've said before, look into politics.

Yes, and you use that excuse over and over for refusing to acknowledge valid points, provide evidence, or just have civil conversations that don't involve needless ad hominem. Again...a giant cop out. Like I've told you before, if you can't handle discussing things with me, then don't jump in.

Just look - once again you're making this discussion about me and how you feel about me, rather than the actual subject matter. Sorry amigo, that is squarely on you.

Up here probably 4-5 90+ days on average would be my guess. 

Maybe less....Given 2014 did not have a 90+ day at Silver Falls....

2015 had 7 90+ days. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

It hit 95 at my house in late July 2015. I think SLE was like 104 that day. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Similar to katabatic winds [ie santa ana] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katabatic_wind

Similar but foehn is not a sub-class of katabatic winds since the foehn is a wind that has cooled as it has risen in altitude then warms as it descends while a katabatic wind is cooled by radiative transfer not altitude change.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Similar but foehn is not a sub-class of katabatic winds since the foehn is a wind that has cooled as it has risen in altitude then warms as it descends while a katabatic wind is cooled by radiative transfer not altitude change.

The similarly w/ santa ana-type katabatic is warming/ drying

The similarly w/ santa ana-type katabatic is warming/ drying

True katabatic winds are something you'd find along the periphery of an ice sheet, for example. I'd consider the Santa-Ana to be your standard Foehn style wind. There is a true loss of potential energy from the atmosphere duting the katabatic process, while there's a relatively negligible loss of potential energy during the orographic-adiabatic process.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Today will mark our 15th day at/above 90*F this summer, and possibly our 8th day at/above 95*F.

We're ahead of last summer's pace, which finished with 61 days at/above 90*F, and 29 days at/above 95*F.

Of course, we still found a way to hit 90*F (already #16 on the summer) despite this massive trough and saturated soil. At least the humidity is low.

Still, this leaves is with just 3 nice days left until the swamp returns with a vengeance midweek. I don't think it will ever be drained.

Today will mark our 15th day at/above 90*F this summer, and possibly our 8th day at/above 95*F.

We're ahead of last summer's pace, which finished with 61 days at/above 90*F, and 29 days at/above 95*F.

Actually only having 15 days in the 90's by late June isn't that bad. I've recorded 12 days starting in March. At 18 miles inland, the Pacific greatly helps modify the air. The Atlantic is already warm in your area, right? I swam in the ocean in New York/ New Jersey and remember it being quite pleasant [70's] 

Actually only having 15 days in the 90's by late June isn't that bad. I've recorded 12 days starting in March. At 18 miles inland, the Pacific greatly helps modify the air. The Atlantic is already warm in your area, right? I swam in the ocean in New York/ New Jersey and remember it being quite pleasant [70's]

Yeah, local water temps are already in the 80s. Really elevating dewpoints above where they were forecasted too.

Was supposed to be around 80/55 today, already 85/65 here as of 1pm. #swamp

Yeah, local water temps are already in the 80s. Really elevating dewpoints above where they were forecasted too.

Was supposed to be around 80/55 today, already 85/65 here as of 1pm. #swamp

No way you can escape it.  Historically, there were those who supported moving the Capitol to New York; the "southern summer" being one reason. 

• Like 1