Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

What makes this eastern El Nino so bad for next winter?

el nino winter

• Please log in to reply

gimmesnow

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

gimmesnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

http://theweatherfor...ssion/?p=233795

I'm not really interested in if it's going to happen, but I am curious how this being eastern like the model suggests is even worse than it being in the middle. The next post in that thread suggests next winter won't show up (again) if we get a nino like this.

But I did some brief googling and couldn't find much of an answer as to what the positioning of el nino means, lots of pop-weather sites that don't really explain things as well as I'd like. I just find results explaining what el nino and la nina are, not the effects, specially of the location and size (though strength is usually covered).

I'm guessing the location affects the jet streams in various ways and prevents the midwest from getting some arctic air and blocking patterns. But that's just an educated guess.

Thanks.

iFred

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:06 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2124 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.

That ridge which would be focused over the West Coast and The Rockies would shift east over the Plains. You would get coast to coast torching in the most extreme scenarios.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: el nino, winter