Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Spring/Summer Photo Contest

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Tom

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:00 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 12240 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

It was a suggestion and I think it's a good one.  Let this thread serve as a place where posters can deliver some of their best photos captured during the warm season.  It can be anything from severe wx, cloud formations, travel pics, basically any sort of weather phenomena or moment that captures the beauty of nature.

Post away! 

• NEJeremy likes this

gabel23

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

gabel23

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationShelby, NE

Doesn't do justice but seen this a couple days ago. It was the brightest rainbow I have ever seen. The sun started to disappear right when I went to take my picture. 

Attached Files

• Tom, NebraskaWX and jaster220 like this

Tom

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 12240 posts

Doesn't do justice but seen this a couple days ago. It was the brightest rainbow I have ever seen. The sun started to disappear right when I went to take my picture. 

Did you find a pot of gold???   B)

• gabel23 likes this

NebraskaWX

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

NebraskaWX

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Though this doesn't count, I really wanna get this topic going. Severe weather generally gives us some of the most photogenic shots mother nature has to offer. Here is my pic from May 2016. This storm came about during a marginal risk day, nothing was really expected. Out of nowhere, this supercell explodes over Lancaster county (Lincoln, NE) and darts north over the city where it stalls out and doesn't move. This was the first time I had ever seen the National Weather Service use this strong of wording with hail:

Attached File  warning.png   699.81KB   1 downloads

This storm was incredibly powerful. I luckily didn't have any damage, but a few of my friends that lived further south where the bulk of the hail fell are still paying for the damages. A tornado touched down at my friends work as well. With the instability through the roof, the lightning became something out of a movie. Overall, I'd say this is the #1 storm I have ever seen in my life:

Attached File  rainbow lightning.jpg   78.67KB   1 downloads

EDIT: Not my picture but a buddy of mine got this from his work, it was almost hard to not get a picture of this it was lightning so much:

Attached File  nmp.png   841.9KB   1 downloads

• Tom, gabel23, jaster220 and 1 other like this

Tom

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 12240 posts

Though this doesn't count, I really wanna get this topic going. Severe weather generally gives us some of the most photogenic shots mother nature has to offer. Here is my pic from May 2016. This storm came about during a marginal risk day, nothing was really expected. Out of nowhere, this supercell explodes over Lancaster county (Lincoln, NE) and darts north over the city where it stalls out and doesn't move. This was the first time I had ever seen the National Weather Service use this strong of wording with hail:

attachicon.gifwarning.png

This storm was incredibly powerful. I luckily didn't have any damage, but a few of my friends that lived further south where the bulk of the hail fell are still paying for the damages. A tornado touched down at my friends work as well. With the instability through the roof, the lightning became something out of a movie. Overall, I'd say this is the #1 storm I have ever seen in my life:

That shot is something you would see out of a movie with the best CGI animation!

• NebraskaWX likes this

NEJeremy

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:46 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1278 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Not my best picture and I missed the time when it was fully condensed right before this. Near Eustace, TX on 4/29/17.

Attached Files

• Tom and NebraskaWX like this

NEJeremy

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:49 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1278 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Another shot of the tornado near Eustace, TX. 4/29/17

Attached Files

• Tom and NebraskaWX like this

NEJeremy

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1278 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE
McLean, TX 5/16/17

Attached Files

• Tom and jaster220 like this

NEJeremy

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1278 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE
McLean, TX 5/16/17. I love how you can see the large hail falling!

Attached Files

• Tom, gabel23 and jaster220 like this

Tom

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 12240 posts

@NEJeremy, nice pics! Esp the one with the hail falling out of the sky.

• jaster220 and NEJeremy like this

OKwx2k4

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

OKwx2k4

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1804 posts
Those are great pics.
  • NEJeremy likes this

WBadgersW

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:34 AM

WBadgersW

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationGermantown WI
Not the best picture, but it was a beautiful day in the Badlands yesterday.

Attached File  0613171105.jpg   114.1KB   0 downloads
  • Tom and jaster220 like this

Tom

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 12240 posts

Not the best picture, but it was a beautiful day in the Badlands yesterday.

attachicon.gif0613171105.jpg

Sorta reminds of my trip to Bryce Canyon last Spring.  Great photo!

• WBadgersW likes this

Tom

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 12240 posts

My friend in OR sent this picture of Crater Lake in southern OR.  He said its not common to see this much snow in mid June.

Attached Files

• NebraskaWX, jaster220 and WBadgersW like this

jaster220

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

jaster220

80 ft high spray?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1939 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KBEH (work)

My friend in OR sent this picture of Crater Lake in southern OR.  He said its not common to see this much snow in mid June.

Those regions that are cold on both sides of the globe are having it very cold. If that does shift our way next winter, look out! In MI, I remember those late 70's blockbuster seasons followed by a couple duds. Then wham! '81-82 was an encore performance. I believe still a top 5 winter for many locales.

Winter 2016-17 Snow Total = 52"  (annual avg for mby = ~49.9")

Winter 2015-16 Snow Total = 57.4"

Winter 2014-15 Snow Total = 55.3"

Winter 2013-14 Snow Total = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!) wub.png

Winter 2012-13 Snow Total = 47.2"

Winter 2011-12 Snow Total = 43.7"

Notable Blizzards/Snowstorms in SWMI: Nov 2015, Feb 2015, Jan 2014, Feb 2011, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Jan 1982, Jan 1979, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, April 1975, March 1973, Jan 1967, March 1947, Jan 1918

WBadgersW

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

WBadgersW

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationGermantown WI

Its crazy how much snow they got out West. Some ski hills are predicted to remain open till early August.
  • jaster220 likes this