Spring/Summer Photo Contest

Tom

It was a suggestion and I think it's a good one.  Let this thread serve as a place where posters can deliver some of their best photos captured during the warm season.  It can be anything from severe wx, cloud formations, travel pics, basically any sort of weather phenomena or moment that captures the beauty of nature.

Post away! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Though this doesn't count, I really wanna get this topic going. Severe weather generally gives us some of the most photogenic shots mother nature has to offer. Here is my pic from May 2016. This storm came about during a marginal risk day, nothing was really expected. Out of nowhere, this supercell explodes over Lancaster county (Lincoln, NE) and darts north over the city where it stalls out and doesn't move. This was the first time I had ever seen the National Weather Service use this strong of wording with hail:

warning.png

This storm was incredibly powerful. I luckily didn't have any damage, but a few of my friends that lived further south where the bulk of the hail fell are still paying for the damages. A tornado touched down at my friends work as well. With the instability through the roof, the lightning became something out of a movie. Overall, I'd say this is the #1 storm I have ever seen in my life:

rainbow lightning.jpg

EDIT: Not my picture but a buddy of mine got this from his work, it was almost hard to not get a picture of this it was lightning so much:

nmp.png

• Like 5

Though this doesn't count, I really wanna get this topic going. Severe weather generally gives us some of the most photogenic shots mother nature has to offer. Here is my pic from May 2016. This storm came about during a marginal risk day, nothing was really expected. Out of nowhere, this supercell explodes over Lancaster county (Lincoln, NE) and darts north over the city where it stalls out and doesn't move. This was the first time I had ever seen the National Weather Service use this strong of wording with hail:

attachicon.gifwarning.png

This storm was incredibly powerful. I luckily didn't have any damage, but a few of my friends that lived further south where the bulk of the hail fell are still paying for the damages. A tornado touched down at my friends work as well. With the instability through the roof, the lightning became something out of a movie. Overall, I'd say this is the #1 storm I have ever seen in my life:

That shot is something you would see out of a movie with the best CGI animation!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My friend in OR sent this picture of Crater Lake in southern OR.  He said its not common to see this much snow in mid June.

Those regions that are cold on both sides of the globe are having it very cold. If that does shift our way next winter, look out! In MI, I remember those late 70's blockbuster seasons followed by a couple duds. Then wham! '81-82 was an encore performance. I believe still a top 5 winter for many locales.

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

• 5 weeks later...

Hey people....lets not forget about this nice thread created. Lets post some photos in here. I will try to as well.

Btw, I saw a beautiful rainbow yesterday near my area with multiple colors right after a downpour had just stopped. I should have posted a pic in here, "Darn It" :wacko:

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

It's been quite the start to the Monsoon out here in the mountains.  The valley has just begun to get a "taste" of the storms that blossom every day up in the mountains and track into the valley.  I took some pics the other day of a large severe storm that was tracking right towards my place but it ended up fizzling out.  The clouds were so dark and it contrasted nicely against the lighter looking buildings.

A couple days ago I was able to capture a Rainbow from a storm in the distance.  It's awesome to see day to day storms blossoming all around the valley and being able to witness the beauty of Ma Nature.

• Like 1

Ooh, I got a few pictures. Near Iowa City, July 11th. Also have several other pictures from other storm chases in the vicinity of Iowa but these are the best. Breathtaking, especially since this is in Iowa and not Colorado or the Sand Hills. 2nd one isn't as good as it could've been because guess who decided to sit in the precip shaft because they didn't wanna risk missing that awesome structure while relocating. 

17906_957c5121bb7aeff1a2d2779b468a92da.j

17907_5243947289ebd8769605d174b438d73d.j

17908_9f7a1b9da2a756c75e0b340e61a7b400.j

• Like 3

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Here's another one of that storm near Brookings, SD last week(7/11/17). Was right under it looking for the tornado, but wish I was also further back to get the full storm in one shot.

That's a photogenic storm!

• Like 2

Here's another one of that storm near Brookings, SD last week(7/11/17). Was right under it looking for the tornado, but wish I was also further back to get the full storm in one shot.

This is the winner right here, that is an amazing cell!

• Like 1

Looks like some Alien space craft...#IndependenceDay

It was kind of funny the way this chase worked out. I started in southeast NoDak and didn't go after the cells further north that eventually produced a big, but rain wrapped tornado(no real good photo opp probably), and was nearly skunked on the chase. I started to head home down I-29 where a couple of strong cells weakened as I approached them in SoDAK, and since it was getting closer to sunset, I figured most storms were done developing/strengthening.

This cell rapidly developed as I approached it though and I was initially blocked from the base by the precip from the north. Then as I got around the rain, the base and wall cloud came into view. Tried really hard a couple of times to produce a tornado, but then this amazing structure formed. What a treat!

Will be chasing tomorrow so hopefully will see something amazing too!

• Like 2