Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Summer 2017 Predictions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Phil

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19186 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
It's one thing to be somewhat off with orientation of the circulations (happens to me frequently). It's another thing to get the NH pattern completely backwards and then try to claim success. That's what's bothering me, dude. It's dishonest.
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Warm Season 2018
90+ degree days: 5
Thunderstorm Days: 5
Severe Days: 1
Total rainfall: 1.77”
Highest Gust: 54mph
Warmest High: 94.6*F
Warmest low: 65.5*F

Live Weather Stream

Front Ranger

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts
  • LocationWestminster, CO

How can you possibly separate the hemispheric-scale wave train from regional climate? They're inherently linked.

In the long run, successfully forecasting North American climate requires successful forecasting of the global circulation.

I didn't say I ignore the global circulation. But I think I look at some regional factors more than you, while you look at some aspects globally that I'm sure I don't.

Cool anomalies soothe the soul.

Front Ranger

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

It's one thing to be somewhat off with orientation of the circulations (happens to me frequently). It's another thing to get the NH pattern completely backwards and then try to claim success. That's what's bothering me, dude. It's dishonest.

All I've been doing is defending myself from your claims. Look at yesterday...you went on the attack, claiming my outlook for a warm July wasn't looking good. And then proceeded from there.

I think you've proven pretty clearly why I don't like to share my analogs with you.

Phil

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

I didn't say I ignore the global circulation. But I think I look at some regional factors more than you, while you look at some aspects globally that I'm sure I don't.

I'm just saying, June/July 2014 were both -NAO/-PNA months with active EHEM monsoons and a very warm NH/Arctic.

Meanwhile, June/July 2017 have been mostly +NAO/+PNA with weak EHEM monsoons and a cooling NH/Arctic.

So yeah, I don't think 2014 is a good early-summer analog.
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

All I've been doing is defending myself from your claims. Look at yesterday...you went on the attack, claiming my outlook for a warm July wasn't looking good. And then proceeded from there.

I think you've proven pretty clearly why I don't like to share my analogs with you.

I made a joke about your July call, thinking you were ready to move past this. I guess not. Whatever, man.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Front Ranger

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

I'm just saying, June/July 2014 were both -NAO/-PNA months with active EHEM monsoons and a very warm NH/Arctic.

Meanwhile, June/July 2017 have been mostly +NAO/+PNA with weak EHEM monsoons and a cooling NH/Arctic.

So yeah, I don't think 2014 is a good early-summer analog.

Well, it was one analog used, not the only one. And for North America, it definitely worked out better than analogs indicating western troughing/eastern ridging.

Front Ranger

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

I made a joke about your July call, thinking you were ready to move past this. I guess not. Whatever, man.

How is "looks like your warm July call isn't looking so hot" a joke? Your follow up to it didn't make it sound like you were joking at all, as you explained that modeling indicated the western lowlands would end up cooler than normal.

Phil

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

Well, it was one analog used, not the only one. And for North America, it definitely worked out better than analogs indicating western troughing/eastern ridging.

I'll concede to you on North America (so far). However, across the NH as a whole, I think it's clear my analogs have matched reality more closely (again, so far).

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Front Ranger

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

I'll concede to you on North America (so far). However, across the NH as a whole, I think it's clear my analogs have matched reality more closely (again, so far).

If you say so. We weren't forecasting for the NH, or at least I wasn't.  :P

Phil

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

How is "looks like your warm July call isn't looking so hot" a joke? Your follow up to it didn't make it sound like you were joking at all, as you explained that modeling indicated the western lowlands would end up cooler than normal.

"Ain't looking too hot" was supposed to be the punchline, dude.

I thought you'd pick up on that.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

ShawniganLake

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

ShawniganLake

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5195 posts
  • LocationShawnigan Lake, BC. Southern Vancouver Island, 500ft
This is feeling like last summer, except the Flat Ranger has taken Tims place.

Front Ranger

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

B)

Not even in the same ballpark.

(Phil is busting much bigger this summer).

Phil

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

More like I've taken Tim's place.

I actually wasn't the instigator last summer.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:52 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

B)

Not even in the same ballpark.

(Phil is busting much bigger this summer).

Hey, I nailed last summer for the most part.

I might still end up doing better than you this year, too. 😘

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Front Ranger

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

Hey, I nailed last summer for the most part.

I might still end up doing better than you this year, too.

You had the big picture mostly right, just got too specific. And August didn't do you any favors.

Phil

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

You had the big picture mostly right, just got too specific. And August didn't do you any favors.

Those three weeks in August did make a difference in the Puget Sound heat bubble.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Front Ranger

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

Those three weeks in August did make a difference in the Puget Sound heat bubble.

Heh, no bubble. It was a warm month for all of the lowlands and most the PNW.

Attached File  Aug16TDeptWRCC-NW.png   18.13KB   0 downloads

Phil

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

Heh, no bubble. It was a warm month for all of the lowlands and most the PNW.

Aug16TDeptWRCC-NW.png

No, I meant for J/A/S overall. It was a warm bubble when looking at that period as a whole, along with that infamous Astoria bubble (which looks to have popped since they swapped out the sensor).

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Front Ranger

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

Given that June has ended up warm in the PNW, and in fact throughout the West, some of my primary analogs have changed. June tends to be a pretty telling month for the rest of the summer.

This argues for a continuation of warmth throughout most of the West (including the PNW) in July, with cooler temps in the Plains, and warm temps along the East coast. Similar to my original forecast.

The analog composite also support a general forecast similar to my original one for August, though perhaps a bit cooler for the middle of the country and a bit warmer for the East coast.

The big change I would now make is for September. I think the likelihood of a warm September in the West (including the PNW) has gone down significantly. Primary analogs now show a clear cool West/warm Midwest East signal for September.

Overall, I wouldn't change much about my summer 2017 prediction map, probably just a little warmer for the Mountain West and a littler warmer for the NE.

The warmth did continue throughout most of the West in July, but the cooler temps ended up more in the Midwest than the Plains, with warmth in the Mid Atlantic. The general idea of warm anomalies being centered in the West was correct, though everything was a bit further east overall.

Given that outcome, I see no reason to change anything in the forecast for August or September. The western warmth, especially in the PNW, is obviously continuing into August, and the eastern half of the nation is seeing much cooler weather as expected.

Going forward, the most likely pattern progression will probably be general western ridging continuing through the first half of August, with a retrogression and turn towards cooler weather likely the second half of the month. I would expect troughing to be centered mainly over the northern Rockies then, but also extend into the PNW at times. The middle of the country should remain fairly cool through much of the month, with warmer temps making a recovery along the East coast the second half of the month.

• Kayla likes this

TT-SEA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:08 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 30869 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

The warmth did continue throughout most of the West in July, but the cooler temps ended up more in the Midwest than the Plains, with warmth in the Mid Atlantic. The general idea of warm anomalies being centered in the West was correct, though everything was a bit further east overall.

Given that outcome, I see no reason to change anything in the forecast for August or September. The western warmth, especially in the PNW, is obviously continuing into August, and the eastern half of the nation is seeing much cooler weather as expected.

Going forward, the most likely pattern progression will probably be general western ridging continuing through the first half of August, with a retrogression and turn towards cooler weather likely the second half of the month. I would expect troughing to be centered mainly over the northern Rockies then, but also extend into the PNW at times. The middle of the country should remain fairly cool through much of the month, with warmer temps making a recovery along the East coast the second half of the month.

I will be shocked if September is warm and dry now.

Jesse

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 22653 posts
  • LocationEast Vancouver, WA (300')

It will be.

Front Ranger

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

The leading analogs I have going forward are: 2014, 2004, 1991, 1986, 1981, and 1961. 2014 is the only year that ended up truly warm in September, and 2004, 1986, and 1961 were quite cool in most areas.

Precipitation was kind of all over the place with those analogs, but I would agree there's a higher than normal chance of a wet September.

Deweydog

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15730 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA

The leading analogs I have going forward are: 2014, 2004, 1991, 1986, 1981, and 1961. 2014 is the only year that ended up truly warm in September, and 2004, 1986, and 1961 were quite cool in most areas.

Precipitation was kind of all over the place with those analogs, but I would agree there's a higher than normal chance of a wet September.

September 1991 was freakishly cold.

If hashtags were a thing back then it most definitely would have warranted a #septembericebox.

All roads lead to Walgreens.  

Front Ranger

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

September 1991 was freakishly cold.

If hashtags were a thing back then it most definitely would have warranted a #septembericebox.

Whoops, missed that one. Still the overall composite for those years shows a clear cool West (including PNW) and warm east pattern, which is what I'd lean towards.

Attached File  cd75.166.62.76.213.18.6.25.prcp.png   406.76KB   2 downloads

Phil

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

Whoops, missed that one. Still the overall composite for those years shows a clear cool West (including PNW) and warm east pattern, which is what I'd lean towards.

cd75.166.62.76.213.18.6.25.prcp.png

That's still warm over Puget Sound, though. Even with the freakishly cold 1991.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Front Ranger

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:50 PM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

That's still warm over Puget Sound, though. Even with the freakishly cold 1991.

Barely, but cool overall for the PNW. The main signal is pretty clear.

Front Ranger

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

Attached File  60dTDeptUS.png   106.46KB   0 downloads

Phil

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

It will be.

Good call. The MJO will be back over the Pacific during the first week of September, and will stay there through at least the first two weeks of the month. Should be a warm/dry month.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

DareDuck

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

DareDuck

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Good call. The MJO will be back over the Pacific during the first week of September, and will stay there through at least the first two weeks of the month. Should be a warm/dry month.

Sounds good for my wedding on the 9th. Hope it stays that.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Front Ranger

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

Considering it's 8/17, we probably still have to wait a bit to find out.  ;)

Phil

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

Considering it's 8/17, we probably still have to wait a bit to find out. ;)

I don't think we have to worry about the MJO/intreaseasonal forcing dying with the equinox approaching in a -QBO regime, let alone in a solar minimum year featuring a Pacific and IO/IOD in near perfect opposition.

I think a transition into western ridging should occur during the first week of September (or very late August), and probably continue through the first three weeks of September, before forcing leaves the EPAC/WHEM during the last week of the month.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Jesse

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 22653 posts

Hopefully this warm/dry months ends up like your cool/wet July.

Phil

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

Hopefully this warm/dry months ends up like your cool/wet July.

Well, I didn't forecast a wet July, but I did forecast a torchy August. ;)

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Front Ranger

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

Well, I didn't forecast a wet July, but I did forecast a torchy August. ;)

:huh:

From first page of this thread.

Phil, on 24 May 2017 - 2:49 PM, said:snapback.png

June: Cool month overall for PNW. Ridging builds offshore early in the month, setting up downstream trough in western US including PNW. Second half of June is a more classic Niña pattern with ridges in the NPAC and SE US, trough axis centered a bit west of the continental divide.

July: Normal to slightly warm month in the PNW with a possible warm stretch early or mid month. Poleward shifted NPAC ridge and a -NAO will drive a more meandering flow over NW North America, could be more of a GOA-centered ridge that licks AK/EPO area and forces a few ULLs offshore for a few bouts of westerly/southwesterly flow. Late month flips +EPO.

August: Cool month in coastal PNW, more GOA trough, NPAC ridge shifts westward, ridging develops over intermountain west. Could be a stronger UV200 jet compared to normal. Should be a stronger -NAO, too.

Phil

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

:huh:

From first page of this thread.

Phil, on 24 May 2017 - 2:49 PM, said:snapback.png

Lmao. Dude, I was trolling you with that post. Warm July, cool August, and GOA ridge was in obvious contradiction to everything I've said this summer. :lol:

I wanted to see if you'd copy my pattern ideas and put your own spin on them, like you usually do. It worked, because you tossed in "offshore ridge" and "August NPAC trough" last minute and busted as a result. Lol.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Jesse

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 22653 posts

Lmao. Dude, I was trolling you with that post. Warm July, cool August, and GOA ridge was in obvious contradiction to everything I've said this summer. :lol:

I wanted to see if you'd copy my pattern ideas and put your own spin on them, like you usually do. It worked, because you tossed in "offshore ridge" and "August NPAC trough" last minute and busted as a result. Lol.

Nah, I think you were just wrong. Own up to it. People would respect you more.
  • Front Ranger likes this

Phil

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts
After months of claiming I forecasted a repeat of 1993's NPAC jet from planet Hoth, how can you take an obvious troll post out of context, and claim the exact opposite? :lol:

I guarantee you won't find any other hot July/cool August posts from me this year.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Jesse

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 22653 posts

After months of claiming I forecasted a repeat of 1993's NPAC jet from planet Hoth (which I didn't), how could anyone take an obvious troll post out of context, and claim the exact opposite? :lol:

I guarantee you won't find any other hot July/cool August posts from me this year.

That wasn't a troll post. I remember when you made it and at the time it was presented as a real forecast. You are just backed into a corner right now and acting really weird about it, like usual. Man up.
  • DareDuck likes this

Phil

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

That wasn't a troll post. I remember when you made it and at the time it was presented as a real forecast. You are just backed into a corner right now and acting really weird about it, like usual. Man up.

Jesse, it was honestly a troll post. Please look at my posts in the March/April/May PNW threads if you don't believe me.

I'm done debating over it, though. I've said repeatedly that I'm committed to remaining honest and transparent here, so as long as I'm living up to that, I don't care if you decide to have a field day with my posts, whether warranted or not.

Have a good day, my friend.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Jesse

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 22653 posts

Jesse, it was honestly a troll post. Please look at my posts in the March/April/May PNW threads if you don't believe me.

I'm done debating over it, though. I've said repeatedly that I'm committed to remaining honest and transparent here, so as long as I'm living up to that, I don't care if you decide to have a field day with my posts, whether warranted or not.

Have a good day, my friend.

It's ok to be wrong. You need to get better at it.

Front Ranger

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

No, you copied your own post from the main May thread and put it in here. You obviously weren't trolling. Please stop lying.

Front Ranger

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

Cool. At least we're both on the record now.

Weird thing to say right after a troll post!

Phil

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

It's ok to be wrong. You need to get better at it.

Yeah. For some reason, I changed my seasonal forecast for a single afternoon, then changed it back the next day. I should learn to be more stubborn and stick to my ideas no matter what.

... :lol:

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:49 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts
Once again, I'll have to dig up my posts from the preceding weeks and months to refute misguided criticism from the same group of posters. It's like deja-vu all over again.

Either I lack the ability to (contextually) express my intentions in an internet forum setting, or I'm just dealing with a few dim lightbulbs. Either way, it's annoying and disheartening.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts
Some examples from back in April, only a few weeks before I made these posts. I can re-post several more if needs be.

I was forecasting a GOA trough at the time, and I was still forecasting it afterwards. :lol:

I expect a largely zonal/GOA trough pattern to open the warm season, which would increase the full column moisture transport into northwest North America, and deliver more precipitation to the region as a whole. Whatever your local microclimates do is beyond my pay grade.

Tough call IMO. The lackluster dateline convection makes it very difficult to sustain west coast ridging. Until that changes, I'm leaning towards a long term continuation of the GOA trough/zonal flow regime, with the typical intraseasonal burps.

It's funny, because so much of what I was forecasting turned out to be embarrassingly wrong, as the exceptionally warm EPAC and cool IO/WPAC had me fooled into using warm EPAC/cold WPAC analogs. That regime completely reversed in June and shifted everything westward.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts
There's a ton of bump-trolling material in that thread, given how wrong I was about the continuation of the warm EPAC circulation. But instead you guys choose to infatuate yourselves over what is obviously a troll post?

Man, this forum sometimes. :lol:

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Jesse

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 22653 posts
Seek help, Phil.

Phil

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 19186 posts

Seek help, Phil.

You're going to mummify yourself in tinfoil at this rate.

Yeah, Jesse, I lied about my entire vacation, randomly reversed my summer forecast for 12hrs, reversed it right back, then I personally set all those fires in western Canada knowing NE winds would push the smoke into the PNW and ruin the heatwave.

F**king nutcase.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Front Ranger

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

attachicon.gifcd75.166.62.76.213.18.6.25.prcp.png

It's not working out great from a calendar standpoint thanks to the very warm start to the month, but it does appear that September will be the month that the large scale pattern flips to cool West/warm east. I just had it happening a little earlier.

Front Ranger

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 13965 posts

Phil, if we roll your May analogs forward to the summer, this is what we get. Is this about what you're expecting?

attachicon.gifcd67.6.172.175.144.19.0.51.prcp.png

Yeah, essentially a classic Niña look. Exact longitude of the trough axis might verify somewhat farther west/east of the analog mean, but not by enough to change the end result much.

Not making anything up.