Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Hi

• Please log in to reply

FroYoBro

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

FroYoBro

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Hi there. Glad to be here! 

I have short brown hair, have a love for music, and find weather to really quite interesting!

I am just looking for the right one and hope I could meet some real weather buffs here! (buff being the key word. ;) )

• DominicR and paulstorm like this

Deweydog

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12733 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA

I'm a 38 year old w/m with male pattern baldness, well-defined calf muscles and an above average understanding of cold air advection and its everyday uses.  

I drive a vehicle that gets less than 15 miles per gallon and have at times in my life had an irrational fear of being raped by Bea Arthur.  

• DominicR likes this

All roads lead to Walgreens.  

DominicR

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

DominicR

Forum Contributor

• Admin
  • 808 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Very interesting people :)

westiztehbest

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

westiztehbest

Forum Member

• Meteorologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA (2,400 ft)

I got my met B.S. at the U of Utah.  Was a met for a couple years in Salt Lake (until the recession).  Have been a weather geek since a little kid watching the 'Local Forecasts' on the Weather Channel way back in '92-'93.  Love the outdoors, women, electronic music, and am a full blown internet addict.

• DominicR likes this

DominicR

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

DominicR

Forum Contributor

• Admin
  • 808 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I got my met B.S. at the U of Utah.  Was a met for a couple years in Salt Lake (until the recession).  Have been a weather geek since a little kid watching the 'Local Forecasts' on the Weather Channel way back in '92-'93.  Love the outdoors, women, electronic music, and am a full blown internet addict.

:) Awesome! Glad to have you hear.

Phil

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 14949 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
Hi. I'm a 32 year old science **, a (retired) plasma physicist, and former climate scientist. I did extensive modeling of the global electric circuit, as well as the responsive behavior of climate dynamics to external stimuli and the "inertial middle-man".

I achieved my degrees in a A.S., Physics, and Mathematics from U.M.D. in 2006. I've been a weather nerd since I was a little kid standing out in the most violent of weather with nothing but my birthday suit on.. :)
  • DominicR likes this
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Cold season 2017/18:
Snowfall: 0"
Largest snowfall: 0"
Number of winter events: 0
Coldest High 67*F
Coldest low: 44*F
Highest sustained wind: 17mph
Highest wind gust: 26mph

Meichel

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Meichel

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLake in the Hills, IL

Just wanted to say 'thanks' to those who make this site possible, and a special thanks for the mobile version. The lack of a mobile layout at the old forums definitely kept me from posting observations and such while on the road, which is most of the time these days. It will be far easier for me to keep in touch now.

And another thanks to those of you who spread your weather knowledge in an educational format for guys like me who are pretty much meteorologic-ally clueless.

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

IbrChris

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

IbrChris

Moderating Meteorologist

• Meteorologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationTigard, OR and Portland, OR (work)

Hello all. I am a meteorologist working in the energy sector (renewable energy). Been a weather geek for awhile, since at least age 10. B.S. Atmospheric Science, University of Utah, 2010.

West, there's still jobs out there for mets if that is still your passion.

My regards,

Chris

• DominicR likes this

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

SilverFallsAndrew

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

SilverFallsAndrew

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 10770 posts
  • LocationSilverton, OR

I am a 29 year old weather geek who lives in the Cascade foothills about 25 miles east of Salem, Oregon. I have been interested in weather for as long as I can remember, at least since I was 5 years old. Two of my early weather memories were the snow in February 1990 and then the December 1990 arctic blast. The winter of 1992-93 cemented my love of weather and I have been pretty much obsessed ever since. My keenest interest is in historical weather data as I am a bit of a numbers guy. I prefer cool,wet, or snowy weather. The sun is nice as long as it does not get above 85.

• DominicR likes this

Snowfall

2016-17: 47.2"

2015-16: 11.75"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"
2012-13: 16.75"
2011-12: 98.5"

DJ Droppin

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

DJ Droppin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4541 posts
  • LocationEast Portland, OR

Hi, I'm a huge weather geek. My qualifications are vast and extensive. I'm a Music Producer @Bass Mekanik since January 2011. I've been a Severe Weather Analyst, Radar Analyst, and Storm Tracker for many years and run a Severe Weather Group based in Texas(Go figure WTF I'm from Oregon?) Yeah. That's how I roll. I like extreme weather, so clearly I live at the wrong place. I'm terrified by Fog and when it Mists under 40 degrees. No, I am not related to the Gorton's Fisherman. My fondest weather memories..... Hmmm.

Supercell of August 1990 or 1991 (had Golf Ball sized hail)

Ice storm of 1996 (Trees down, power line down in back yard, tree caught on fire. Had to abandon the House. Without power for 6 days.)

January 2004 (A boat load of snow, then a week later, another blast with inches of sleet and 10" of Snow. Very cold)

February 2005? Downslope east wind storm. It was CRAZY

December 2008 (Snow lovers paradise. 28" on the ground Christmas Eve. FTW!)

110mph winds Crown Point this one night during the Winter sometime (Crazy gusts threw me up the stairs slamming me into the Vista House door/windows. Had to form a human chain of 4 people just to be able to get back to the car.)

Many other events                           

Rob                                       

.... To be continued

• DominicR, paulstorm and IbrChris like this

MossMan

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

MossMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4792 posts
  • LocationArlington, Wa
Hi! I am a 37yr old North Snohomish Co. lifer! (Oh I love typing !!!! incase people haven't noticed!) Married with a child on the way. My profession is in the animal rescue field, I work for a fairly large non profit dog/cat rescue group that only take animals from over crowded animal shelters around the state to cut down on the euthanasia of healthy and adoptable cats and dogs. My job is to drive to our partner shelters (mainly in Eastern Wa) each week and temperament test dogs, and bring the ones that pass back to our facility to be adopted. I truly love my job! My hobbies are the weather of course, competing in dog agility trials with my own dogs, and playing on the water in the summer. We have a lake house on Lake goodwin and that is where I spend most of my free time in the summer. I live only about 5 miles away from the lake. MossMan comes from the constant battle with moss up here, plus I know how much Tim loves moss! Snow and wind are my favorite types of weather events!

My top 5 weather events are...
#5 Dec 1990 arctic blast
#4 Nov 1985 Arctic blast
#3 Dec 1995 windstorm
#2 Dec 2008 Arctic blast
#1 Nov 2006 Arctic blast!

Oh and like Dewey I also drive a vehicle that gets less than 15MPG :)
  • DominicR and DJ Droppin like this

50shadesofvan

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

50shadesofvan

• Meteorologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Hi Everyone,

I've followed the posts on the older forum, but want to formally introduce myself. Recently, I graduated from a Canadian university with a BSc. in Atmospheric Sciences, and in the interim I've created the weather blog

50 Shades of Van focusing on weather in Vancouver, BC but also the Pacific Northwest as a whole.

Would absolutely love some feedback to the site, as it's still being developed. Just finished my latest post, which you can check out here: http://50shadesofvan...014/1/21/skiers

Thanks, and look forward to participating in these forums!

Cheers. 

• paulstorm and DJ Droppin like this

50 Shades of Van: A weather blog dedicated to providing the public with easily accessible and downright interesting weather
information for Vancouver, BC and the Pacific Northwest

Latest Post: http://50shadesofvan...de-route-unknown

IbrChris

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

IbrChris

Moderating Meteorologist

• Meteorologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationTigard, OR and Portland, OR (work)

Hi Everyone,

I've followed the posts on the older forum, but want to formally introduce myself. Recently, I graduated from a Canadian university with a BSc. in Atmospheric Sciences, and in the interim I've created the weather blog

50 Shades of Van focusing on weather in Vancouver, BC but also the Pacific Northwest as a whole.

Would absolutely love some feedback to the site, as it's still being developed. Just finished my latest post, which you can check out here: http://50shadesofvan...014/1/21/skiers

Thanks, and look forward to participating in these forums!

Cheers. 

Get added to the met group, always good to have more of us on here.

Chris

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

paulstorm

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

paulstorm

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationDowntown Seattle

Hello!  Long time lurker here.  Signed up for the first time once the forum moved to this spiffy new address.

Born and raised Angeleno. Grew up in Los Angeles County near Long Beach and became fascinated with meteorology at and early age. (see attached pic w/ sweater that reads: "Rain Heavy At Times" which in LA was my favorite forecast to see)  So much so that for my 7th birthday, my parents put a classifieds ad in the paper stating "Happy Birthday, to our little weatherman".

Ended up working for a large software & services company ;] headquartered here in the PNW while living in Downtown Los Angeles.  Had the opportunity to move up here three years ago and jumped at it.  Haven't looked back since!

I live in Downtown Seattle.  Moved here mere days before the November 2010 event. (see attached pic)  I remain passionate about meteorology and still have a lot to learn about local microclimates in the Puget Sound region.  I get the most out of this forum by learning about past meteorological history in this region from many of you.  Thanks!

Attached Files

tknup

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:54 AM

tknup

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I am trying to figure out which forum is best for me. I live in Central Illinois between Peoria and Springfield.

That doesn't sound like Great Lakes but Central Plains is not a good fit either. Suggestions or advice appreciated.

East Dubzz

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

East Dubzz

Daily Contributor

• Mods
  • 1720 posts

I am trying to figure out which forum is best for me. I live in Central Illinois between Peoria and Springfield.

That doesn't sound like Great Lakes but Central Plains is not a good fit either. Suggestions or advice appreciated.

Great Lakes would be the best one for you.

Snowlover76

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

Snowlover76

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Hi, my name is Frank, I currently live on LI near New York, and I will be moving out to Lincoln, NE after August 20th for school, I am 20. 

iFred

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2223 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.

Welcome to the community Frank!

Barf

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

Barf

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello Fred.

https://www.youtube....h?v=mF0OQPP2eaA

• iFred likes this

Black Hole

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

Black Hole

Daily Contributor

• Admin
  • 1291 posts
  • LocationBountiful, Ut 84010 ~4575ft

^^

If you ever get sick of your screen name let us know and we can change it :) Welcome to the board.

BS Atmospheric Science University of Utah May 2015

PhD Candidate Atmospheric Sciences

--Emphasis on: Forecasting, Mountain Weather, Numerical Weather Prediction, Data Assimilation

Winter 2016/17 Snow:
Nov 17: 3.2", 23: 1.6", 28: 9.2" (14)

Dec 1: .5", 16: 2.5", 25: 13" (16)

Jan 2: 5", 3: 2.4", 4: 7.7", 12: 1", 19: 1.2", 21: 13", 23: 6", 24: 1", 25: 3.7", 26: 2.5" (43.5) 

Feb 11: .5", 23: 6.5", 27: 4.5" (13.5)

Mar 5: 5.5" (5.5)

Apr 8: 2", 9: 1.8" (3.8)

May 17: 1" (1)
Total: 96.3"

Lowest Temp: 2F

paulstorm

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

paulstorm

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Have there ever been any meetups with folks here from the forum?  :)

iFred

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2223 posts

Have there ever been any meetups with folks here from the forum?   :)

I think there was way back when, and last winter some of the Bellingham guys got together. I would be up for a meet up and coffee soon.

• MossMan likes this

paulstorm

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:05 PM

paulstorm

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

I think there was way back when, and last winter some of the Bellingham guys got together. I would be up for a meet up and coffee soon.

Likewise!!  Post-holidays :)

Hckyplayer8

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hckyplayer8

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks AFB
Jordan
Forecaster for Grand Forks AFB.

Go Flyers.
  • Phil likes this

iFred

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:15 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2223 posts

Jordan

Go Flyers.

North Dakota? Hope to see more Dakotans on here!

Hckyplayer8

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

Hckyplayer8

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

North Dakota? Hope to see more Dakotans on here!

Where are you at?

iFred

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2223 posts

Where are you at?

In Seattle, but I spent some time in Watertown, SD growing up.

East Dubzz

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

East Dubzz

Daily Contributor

• Mods
  • 1720 posts

Jordan

Go Flyers.

Go Blackhawks

Hckyplayer8

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

Hckyplayer8

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

In Seattle, but I spent some time in Watertown, SD growing up.

Know two guys forecasting for Lewis Mchord. See if I can get em on here.

Hckyplayer8

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:05 PM

Hckyplayer8

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Go Blackhawks

Respect you guys.

Went to my first UND game last night and they have that horrible Chelsea Dagger as their song.

Meichel

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

Meichel

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLake in the Hills, IL

keep-calm-and-cue-the-dagger-1.png

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.