August 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

Geos

Wow, that's crazy you can get it that cool in your place. It hasn't been below 68F in here in months. The low in the house was 70F and high 77F and it's still around 76F in here. This is with multiple windows open, no heating, in a location on a hill and an outdoor hi/low of 76F/55F; I consider this comfortable, but it gets much warmer during heatwaves.

You must get a ton of direct sunlight at your windows. Even on days it gets up to 90 here, it rarely gets higher than 76-77 inside. 

A forum for the end of the world.

Wow, that's crazy you can get it that cool in your place. It hasn't been below 68F in here in months. The low in the house was 70F and high 77F and it's still around 76F in here. This is with multiple windows open, no heating, in a location on a hill and an outdoor hi/low of 76F/55F; I consider this comfortable, but it gets much warmer during heatwaves.

We don't get it that cool as much as we would like.  I would say most often we can get it down to around 64.  We have 4 small window fans that we run all night, so that helps.

You must get a ton of direct sunlight at your windows. Even on days it gets up to 90 here, it rarely gets higher than 76-77 inside. 

The front of the house has plenty of windows and faces directly south, so a lot of sun can get through when sun angles are lower. Also we don't have A/C, so there's nothing moderating the temperature aside from open windows.

Up here in Bellingham it wasn't too terrible most nights. A breeze would kick up a few hours before sunset, and it would cool quickly once the sun went down. I think we usually got down to between 56-62 most nights.

The last couple of nights of this last heatwave there was no breeze, if I remember correctly it was still around 75 at sunset, and down to 68-70 by midnight....not enough differential to cool things off in the house, and no breeze to move the air. We have several window fans, but they only do so much. I'm surprised more homes don't have attic fans out here. I've actually thought about trying to put one in my home. Those worked great, in the south, and were fun to throw paper airplanes and other objects into. :D I have no idea how they were on power and could care less as a kid but thinking back on it as an adult, that sucker had a huge motor on it and I am sure sucked down the power. In addition, it had thin aluminum shutters that closed when it was off, and I supposed that would let tons of cold air in during the winter, which obviously would be less than ideal for the PNW.

I lucked out in most of the places I lived at in Georgia, my mom was not afraid to run the A/C when I lived at home, then when I moved out on my own, most places were out of the sun and stayed relatively cool. There was one place I lived at that would absolutely roast. It was an old brick duplex that was in the sun all day and only had a very old window A/C unit. I only ran that on the hottest of days (it still tripled my power bill), otherwise I either kept the bath tub filled with cold water and would jump in it every couple of hours, or I would take a cold shower to cool off.

I hate that kind of heat and humidity, which is why I don't live there any more!

Interesting. Where in Georgia did you live? I'm actually in Georgia right now, on the coast in Saint Simons. It's always nasty humid here (dews in the upper 70s/low 80s), but the sea breeze makes it tolerable during the afternoon (mornings are nasty), and highs are usually in the upper 80s/low 90s and typically occur between 10-11AM, when the sea breeze starts up. So I actually enjoy spending time outdoors here, so long as I'm near the beach.

You won't find me hanging around inland, though. Once across the marsh, into Brunswick, it's almost inhospitable on days without convection. Often worse than DC.

Lol @ the CMC. What a terrible model.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/CCBA0A7A-9573-423A-BFFA-A50F65BCE866_zpszcmfuklm.jpg

The negative Jesse summer index...boiling off-equator WPAC waters.

On the other hand, the invigorated trades/tight Walker Cell regime is putting the hurt on those equatorial SSTAs.

cdas-sflux_ssta_relative_global_1.png

12z GFS guts the next trough. Feels like one of those situations where we won't end up really seeing a trough at all, but instead one of our famous transitions from one type of warm ridging to a different type of warm ridging.

I'll see your "warm ridging" and raise you a 90/81 @ 130pm.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=KDCA

The front of the house has plenty of windows and faces directly south, so a lot of sun can get through when sun angles are lower. Also we don't have A/C, so there's nothing moderating the temperature aside from open windows.

I don't have central A/C either, but I open the windows at night and shut them in the morning, and like I said even with 90 degree temps it rarely gets above 76-77. But I also have a nice shade tree on the south side of the house.

A forum for the end of the world.

All relative to climo, Mr. Pathaological Liar.

This summer is your karma for wrongly accusing others of being pathological liars.

Enjoy your roast, geek boy.

You mean the last five f***** summers. :lol:

At least it's just a 2014 fake-out (this time) rather than the real deal. Don't dangle any karma carrots and maybe you'll avoid a repeat until 2019/20.

FWIW, I'd say there's a very high likelihood that we leave this circulation completely during the seasonal transition over Eurasia (termination of monsoonal system and development of thr Siberian high).

In other words, I'd expect a very significant shift in the pattern and background state during October or November, into something resembling -ENSO/-QBO climo (-PNA/+EPO).

I don't have central A/C either, but I open the windows at night and shut them in the morning, and like I said even with 90 degree temps it rarely gets above 76-77. But I also have a nice shade tree on the south side of the house.

Just window AC in bedroom/ kitchen?  Central A/C is unnecessarily costly/ impractical in favor of ductless systems. 

Must be riveting enough to keep you posting every day!

#loveusorleaveus

#canthaveitbothways

I'm guessing you were questioning something about his summer forecast? Perhaps questioning his veracity in some way?

#letmeknowifiamclose

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I'm guessing you were questioning something about his summer forecast? Perhaps questioning his veracity in some way?

#letmeknowifiammclose

You can go look if you'd like. I'm sure you have this silly, waste of time of a forum bookmarked on your phone or computer to make constant visits convenient. :)

#letmeknowifiammclose

Yeah, that just about sums it up.

Typical warm season Jesse.