September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

Hiked up Grouse Mountain today and I'm glad it wasn't any hotter than it was. The air was noticeably drier up there. Definitely gonna visit a few times this winter. :)

20170902_134159.jpg20170902_153213.jpg

Good visibility.

I assume that bear was caged?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well if he checks it out he'll find it's like time stood still.

#onenotetune

So we should make stuff up to change the topic?

In many ways... time has stood still on this forum for almost 13 years. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Bogged down in politics?    You mean watching TV and InfoWars with the batshit crazy Alex Jones?     :lol:

It was a goldilocks summer up here... except for the first part of August.   July was absolute perfection from start to finish.  

Alex Jones has some really good sources though.

I agree about this summer.  Pretty darn nice.  A bit too dry, but I really like dry weather in the summer.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

WxBell images. Can't access the 12z meteogram now but the 18z is still just as crazy. Surprisingly it verified on the low side today.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-09-02 at 6.41.51 PM.png

Looks unrealistic, to say the least.

This GFS numerical output looks more in line with reality:

http://68.226.77.253/text/1DegGFS/GFS_KPDX.txt

103 is plausible with surface east winds and 27.4C up above.

Alex Jones has some really good sources though.

I agree about this summer. Pretty darn nice. A bit too dry, but I really like dry weather in the summer.

Alex Jones is an act... and Trump actually believe his crap. Sandy Hook never happened right? Tell that to all those parents of kindergartners and first graders who were gunned down in school. I can't imagine. Alex Jones actually does not believe his own BS. But its scary that some people do.

I was thinking you were enjoying this summer given that you love dry weather in the warm season. One more significant rain event would have been nice. If not for the smoky/hot period during the first part of August... I would say its been pretty much perfect since the middle of May. A reward for our hellish spring. :)

I am liking our chances overall this winter with at least a weak Nina in place.

Alex Jones is an act... and Trump actually believe his crap. Sandy Hook never happened right? Tell that to all those parents of kindergartners and first graders who were gunned down in school. I can't imagine. Alex Jones actually does not believe his own BS. But its scary that some people do.

I was thinking you were enjoying this summer given that you love dry weather in the warm season. One more significant rain event would have been nice. If not for the smoky/hot period during the first part of August... I would say its been pretty much perfect since the middle of May. A reward for our hellish spring. :)

I am liking our chances overall this winter with at least a weak Nina in place.

He also made a big deal about the Jade Helm military exercise a couple years ago. Riled up a bunch of Texans into thinking that Obama was planning an invasion of Texas to take their guns away.

He's good at what he does. He feed people all the B.S. they want to hear and makes good $$ doing it.

Apparently the fire on Eagle Creek trail has really blown up. A friend of mine just sent me pictures from Bonneville Dam. Big smoke plume pretty close to I-84.

I saw that on the visible satellite loop.

26.2C verified this afternoon over SLE with 595dm heights. Top tier ridge.

Enough to give us 97 on 9/2 despite steady NW winds during peak heating hours. I would need to double check, but I think this is the first time we've pulled off that particular feat in September.

Well, apparently PDX hit 98 earlier. Daily climate report shows a maximum of 98 occurred at 4:09 pm - weird that it didn't show up on the 4:53 ASOS update.

Regardless...98 degrees on a NW wind in September. Epic.

65 today in DC.

Guess the sauna is turned off now for the next 9 - 10 months?

Yeah, until winter, lol. The high of 61*F @ IAD today was the coldest this late in the season since 1972, right after hurricane Agnes. So this is pretty unusual for us. Since I returned home I think I've seen the sun twice.

It's funny how some people say that we couldn't deal with humidity, it's all relative and adaptable.

I'd love it if Seattle experienced a solid week with dewpoints in the upper 70s/low 80s, just to see the out-of-control reactions on this forum from Andrew, Jesse, and Jim.

Looks unrealistic, to say the least.

This GFS numerical output looks more in line with reality:

http://68.226.77.253/text/1DegGFS/GFS_KPDX.txt

103 is plausible with surface east winds and 27.4C up above.

Oh yeah no doubt. 103-104 seems likely to me as well.

I think the difference between the above link and WxBells data is that the above one is just a temp grab at exactly 00z or 5pm local. While the WxBell site shows the maximum temp over the past 6 hour period. In other words, the WxBell graphic is picking up on a higher temp at say 4pm rather than 5pm where we are now quickly losing solar radiation after 4pm compared to earlier in the season.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Solid front next Sunday on the 00Z GFS and a bad situation of the coast of South Carolina.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_us_32.png

Low pressure is probably overdone, but my goodness this is more power than 10X the entirety of NK's nuclear arsenal.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/7C74F037-7A74-49F7-9D31-14417EC7E56B_zps02x1ycte.png

Low pressure is probably overdone, but my goodness this is more power than 10X the entirety of NK's nuclear arsenal.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/7C74F037-7A74-49F7-9D31-14417EC7E56B_zps02x1ycte.png

Strongest since Wilma??

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Oh yeah no doubt. 103-104 seems likely to me as well.

I think the difference between the above link and WxBells data is that the above one is just a temp grab at exactly 00z or 5pm local. While the WxBell site shows the maximum temp over the past 6 hour period. In other words, the WxBell graphic is picking up on a higher temp at say 4pm rather than 5pm where we are now quickly losing solar radiation after 4pm compared to earlier in the season.

Well, I was aware that the link I provided only showed the 0Z temperature (except that I was thinking it was 4pm, but yeah during daylight savings time its actually 5pm). That is still very close to the time of day that our maximums occur at this time of year. An output of 103 for 5pm doesn't equate to a maximum of 108, not in our microclimate anyway.

Either way, even 103 is a real stretch. Something around 100 is more likely with locally higher readings.

Very impressive 850mb temperature graph.  Insanely high followed by a big crash.  I hope the crash part verfies.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Very impressive 850mb temperature graph. Insanely high followed by a big crash. I hope the crash part verifies.

It won't. Expect any hint of a troughy period to be fully dismembered by this time tomorrow. More heat until further notice.

Oh and welcome back Jim!!