September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

Sorry then. I really don't want any beef with you. I misunderstood the post. You were talking about other places going from highs in the low 50s to low 40s the next day and I thought maybe that's what you meant. It was an interesting event I hadn't heard about before, so I was trying to make sure I understood what you were saying.

All right, fair enough. Sorry if I was being kind of a d*ck.  :)

October 6-8, 1949 was interesting as well. Battle Ground had a 51 degree high on the 7th, followed by 32 on the 8th. There was measurable rain on both days although the overnight hours were dry. Cedar Lake at 1,560' was 45/37 with a trace of snow on the 6th. Nice little precursor to the much more impressive airmass 10 days later. 

Which also produced some very light snow apparently in NW WA with the arctic front on 10/17-10/18. Olga had a trace.

Getting cold like that in a non-Nino October is always a great sign.

Which also produced some very light snow apparently in NW WA with the arctic front on 10/17-10/18. Olga had a trace.

Getting cold like that in a non-Nino October is always a great sign.

Very impressive, but not surprising given that airmass. That was probably the earliest true Fraser blast at least in modern records.

Something similar happened on October 17, 1905. Arctic front through the Puget Sound with northerlies up to 47 mph, according to the monthly state climo report. Brinnon had a trace of snow along with a 46/28 day. 

Nah. If the warm runs verify, you might be looking at three 85/50-ish days to close the month. That wouldn't be enough to push up the monthly average hardly at all, which will be below the record within a couple days.

Monthly departure for PDX is down to +2.6.

Yet still coming out of the cold trough with a +0.3 on the record.

It's all gonna come down to those positive departures Tuesday - Saturday! Still feeling pretty good about my "sensationalistic call".  B)

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Yet still coming out of the cold trough with a +0.3 on the record.

It's all gonna come down to those positive departures Tuesday - Saturday! Still feeling pretty good about my "sensationalistic call". B)

To be fair the next three days will only have highs on either side of 70, though. Which will continue to drag things down. We'll be below the record by tomorrow.

It will come down to whether we stay warm on the 29th/30th or get some sort of cooldown back into the low-mid 70s. Unexpectedly mild nights the rest of the way through could also destroy Flatiron's dreams.

To be fair the next three days will only have highs on either side of 70, though. Which will continue to drag things down. We'll be below the record by tomorrow.

It will come down to whether we stay warm on the 29th/30th or get some sort of cooldown back into the low-mid 70s. Unexpectedly mild nights the rest of the way through could also destroy Flatiron's dreams.

Yeah no doubt the next 3 days will drop it below the record but the question is whether it's gonna be enough to overcome the positive departures on the last 4 days of the month to keep it just shy of the record.

As I've been saying for a while now, it's gonna be close!

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Yeah no doubt the next 3 days will drop it below the record but the question is whether it's gonna be enough to overcome the positive departures on the last 4 days of the month to keep it just shy of the record.

As I've been saying for a while now, it's gonna be close!

I think everyone's been saying that. ;)

• Like 1

I think everyone's been saying that. ;)

Except Jared who has vigorously held steadfast with reasons why it will not happen all month! 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

I couldn't remember. Are you spending the weekend at Skamania Lodge or Sea-Tac?

I am never at SEA even when I am home.   But I still track what is happening there.   The internet is pretty cool.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I figured we'd be getting more weather reports from Stevenson. How is it out there?

Still cloudy.   Satellite shows it should clear up fairly soon though.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I suspect we'll be seeing lots of patterns like this over the next several months. Classic Niña/-QBO, with the -PNA/+EPO.

#2007/08

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/27C2F08A-CC2B-4F1D-ABAE-ECA6135607B7_zpsrj9hwgoy.png

I suspect we'll be seeing lots of patterns like this over the next several months. Classic Niña/-QBO, with the -PNA/+EPO.

#2007/08

Yeah... that is not a great pattern for lowland snow.   But a pattern that can bury Andrew and sometimes even my area in snow with cold onshore flow.

Yeah... that is not a great pattern for lowland snow. But a pattern that can bury Andrew and sometimes even my area in snow with cold onshore flow.

Also, as Demitri alluded to, the -PNA/Aleutian Ridge restricts heat transport into the Arctic, cooling most of the high latitudes over a period of several months.

So, if the Arctic is actually released at some point this winter, unlike 2007/08, then it could be interesting for someone. These Niña/-QBO winters don't always stay +EPO. We'd need to find a way to dislodge the polar vortex, though.

Also, as Demitri alluded to, the -PNA/Aleutian Ridge restricts heat transport into the Arctic, cooling most of the high latitudes over a period of several months.

So, if the Arctic is actually released at some point this winter, unlike 2007/08, then it could be interesting for someone. These Niña/-QBO winters don't always stay +EPO. We'd need to find a way to dislodge the polar vortex, though.

Is there a planning meeting scheduled?   We need to develop the plan to dislodge the polar vortex.   Needs to be a team effort though!  

Is there a planning meeting scheduled? We need to develop the plan to dislodge the polar vortex. Needs to be a team effort though!

It's already discussing terms of surrender with Mt. Agung and the WPAC Hadley Cell. No announcement date, as of yet.

in the long run this could be a good thing as it could set up coast to coast harsh winters over the next few years those let's hope to it not to much of a good thing those .if we have a big volcano eruption or two doing a very low grand solar minimum with cycles 25 and 26 that could be big trouble and is one of the ways glacier cycles in the ice age cycle could begin.one of the things and rightly so that Robert Filex is concerned about.
  • Like 1

Depressing autumn for me, though, considering the history of failure here in Niña/-QBO winters.

These dogs usually dominate us with dry southerlies, intermixed with warm rain squalls, ice storms, and westerly ragers that coincide with trash night and pulverize our screens and shutters.

in the long run this could be a good thing as it could set up coast to coast harsh winters over the next few years those let's hope to it not to much of a good thing those .if we have a big volcano eruption or two doing a very low grand solar minimum with cycles 25 and 26 that could be big trouble and is one of the ways glacier cycles in the ice age cycle could begin.one of the things and rightly so that Robert Filex is concerned about.

Mount Agung is no Yellowstone, so I don't think there is any need to worry about a glacial period.

The 12Z Operational drops 850 levels to just below 0C before hour 300!

Mount Agung is no Yellowstone, so I don't think there is any need to worry about a glacial period.

The 12Z Operational drops 850 levels to just below 0C before hour 300!

Is it a Pinatubo though? Just trying to get some cold anomaly that we don't have to pay back for later with a warm anomaly!

What's good (well, technically it's bad) in the long run is the drawdown of the NH meridional modes, and prospects of a grand solar minimum, which will alter climate through changes in large scale circulation and mass balance.

Glacial inception, however, requires an established seasonal bipolar seesaw, which we're pretty far away from achieving right now. In other words, the winter hemisphere experiences a permanently negative annular mode (polar high), while the summer hemisphere experiences a positive annular mode (polar low). This occurs as obliquity declines, increasing topical insolation at the expense of polar insolation, which gradually tightens the equator/pole thermal gradient in the atmosphere and oceans (warm tropics/cool poles), strengthening topical convection and wind speeds. This increases cloud albedo and thermo-mechanically ventilates heat from the tropical oceans, as higher wind speeds enhance evaporative cooling at the sea surface, which said latent heat is then subsequently released in the mid/upper troposphere in the vigorous convection, hence is more easily emitted to space.

This process also dumps a bunch of excess heat/mass into the polar domians, where the heat can be more effectively radiated thanks the lack of insolation/seasonal energy deficit, as well as the enhanced sinking/adiabatic warming produced by the heat/mass dumpage (negative annular mode), which inhibits polar cloud formation, further enhancing the radiative loss.

The winter hemisphere, away from the ITCZ, experiencess the negative annular mode because the tightened insolation gradient over that hemisphere produces a more spatially coupled, lower frequency wave system, through both thermodynamic and photochemical processes, which enhances the coupling and exchange(s) between the tropics, pole, and stratosphere. Meanwhile, the summer hemisphere, closer to the ITCZ, experiences the positive annular mode because the lessened insolation gradient, through the same processes, produces a less spatially coupled, higher frequency wave system, which breaks the direct equator/pole exchanges, such that the excess heat/mass ventilated from the tropics is dumped in the subtropics/mid-latitudes, rather than over the high latitudes.

In other words, picture a vertically-tall, but latitudinally-skinny convective cell network in the summer hemisphere, and a vertically-challenged, but latitudinally-broad convective cell network in the winter hemisphere. This isn't the truly correct way to describe it, but it serves our purposes here.

In regards to the current climate system state, while obliquity is technically low enough to produce the aforementioned seasonal bipolar seesaw (as evidenced by MIS19c), and the thermal gradient is tight by standards of the last 8,000yrs, the ocean/atmosphere system itself hasn't yet crossed the thermodynamic threshold that would allow for a descent into this state of operation. A prolonged grand solar minimum under our current orbital conditions could theoretically be enough to push the system over the threshold, however, as of today, we have yet to actually enter the grand minimum, and we need to see this positive trend in the annular modes reverse before we can even begin to talk about a bipolar seesaw and glacial inception. As of today, we remain in a system state composed of a positive planetary annular mode.

• Like 1

What's good (well, technically it's bad) in the long run is the drawdown of the NH meridional modes, and prospects of a grand solar minimum, which will alter climate through changes in large scale circulation and mass balance.

Glacial inception, however, requires an established seasonal bipolar seesaw, which we're pretty far away from achieving right now. In other words, the winter hemisphere experiences a permanently negative annular mode (polar high), while the summer hemisphere experiences a positive annular mode (polar low). This occurs as obliquity declines, increasing topical insolation at the expense of polar insolation, which gradually tightens the equator/pole thermal gradient in the atmosphere and oceans (warm tropics/cool poles), strengthening topical convection and wind speeds. This increases cloud albedo and thermo-mechanically ventilates heat from the tropical oceans, as higher wind speeds enhance evaporative cooling at the sea surface, which said latent heat is then subsequently released in the mid/upper troposphere in the vigorous convection, hence is more easily emitted to space.

This process also dumps a bunch of excess heat/mass into the polar domians, where the heat can be more effectively radiated thanks the lack of insolation/seasonal energy deficit, as well as the enhanced sinking/adiabatic warming produced by the heat/mass dumpage (negative annular mode), which inhibits polar cloud formation, further enhancing the radiative loss.

The winter hemisphere, away from the ITCZ, experiencess the negative annular mode because the tightened insolation gradient over that hemisphere produces a more spatially coupled, lower frequency wave system, through both thermodynamic and photochemical processes, which enhances the coupling and exchange(s) between the tropics, pole, and stratosphere. Meanwhile, the summer hemisphere, closer to the ITCZ, experiences the positive annular mode because the lessened insolation gradient, through the same processes, produces a less spatially coupled, higher frequency wave system, which breaks the direct equator/pole exchanges, such that the excess heat/mass ventilated from the tropics is dumped in the subtropics/mid-latitudes, rather than over the high latitudes.

In other words, picture a vertically-tall, but latitudinally-skinny convective cell network in the summer hemisphere, and a vertically-challenged, but latitudinally-broad convective cell network in the winter hemisphere. This isn't the truly correct way to describe it, but it serves our purposes here.

In regards to the current climate system state, while obliquity is technically low enough to produce the aforementioned seasonal bipolar seesaw (as evidenced by MIS19c), and the thermal gradient is tight by standards of the last 8,000yrs, the ocean/atmosphere system itself hasn't yet crossed the thermodynamic threshold that would allow for a descent into this state of operation. A prolonged grand solar minimum under our current orbital conditions could theoretically be enough to push the system over the threshold, however, as of today, we have yet to actually enter the grand minimum, and we need to see this positive trend in the annular modes reverse before we can even begin to talk about a bipolar seesaw and glacial inception. As of today, we remain in a system state composed of a positive planetary annular mode.

yeah interesting to add that Jim Bob that posts on Roberts blog has express a few times that he be leaves we sill have 3 more solar 160 year warm phases to contend with but each one cycle would be less warm then the one before it.so he targeting thousand years or so away yet interesting but another possable idea.