Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Southern Transplant in the Midwest

Midwest New Orleans Gulf Coast

• Please log in to reply

jzuzphreek

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

jzuzphreek

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

New guy here. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and am getting excited about the possibility of my first REAL winter! 

I moved to St. Joseph, MO (45 minutes north of KC, MO) last November from New Orleans, LA. Although we had one nice cold snap complete with freezing rain and blowing snow, the rest of the winter left all my Southern friends looking pretty silly. You know the ones I'm talking about. All those who, when hearing of our move north said things like "you know it snows up there, right?" and "Oh! It's gonna be so cold!" Yeah guys, I know. It's north... anything north of I-10 is the north and frozen tundra! Well... we all know how last winter was for the Mid West. 

All my life I've longed to live in an area with a real winter! And it looks, from the way you all (much more knowledgeable about meteorology and this part of the world than I) talk, that I may finally get my wish! 

This week marks the coldest I've ever experienced in October, and just in time for my son's first Cub Scout camp out with his new Pack... Saturday night!  

I was a frequent lurker, especially during peak hurricane season, on the Stormcast Live forums, where my Dad is an administrator. I get my appreciation and enthusiasm for meteorology from him. As their focus and expertise is really centered around Gulf Coast weather, I was looking with more emphasis on my new area, and stumbled upon ya'll! I don't post much, because I rather let people who know what they're talking about do the talking, but I've been really enjoying watching the banter these last few weeks, and hope to join in. 

See ya'll around. 

• iFred and Phil like this

Phil

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14949 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
Welcome, and enjoy the winter!
  • jzuzphreek likes this
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Cold season 2017/18:
Snowfall: 0"
Largest snowfall: 0"
Number of winter events: 0
Coldest High 67*F
Coldest low: 44*F
Highest sustained wind: 17mph
Highest wind gust: 26mph

iFred

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:44 PM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2223 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.
Welcome to the community! Feel free to reply on any of the regional topics to give your unique NOLA view of the weather. Nothing like moving from an area that doesn't get much snow to a place that gets blizzards every other year.
  • jzuzphreek likes this

Andie

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in North Texas
Enjoy the change! Mo. Is a nice area for 4 seasons.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Midwest, New Orleans, Gulf Coast