Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

November 2017 Observations and Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

St Paul Storm

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

St Paul Storm

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

I find freezing fog to be fascinating.

It’s fascinating, beautiful and extremely dangerous all at the same time. I nearly wiped out on my driveway this morning as I was walking to get the paper. And because of that I forgot to snap a few pics. Ha!
  • Niko and jaster220 like this

Niko

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3137 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

It’s fascinating, beautiful and extremely dangerous all at the same time. I nearly wiped out on my driveway this morning as I was walking to get the paper. And because of that I forgot to snap a few pics. Ha!

:D

BTW: Next week looks wintry for a lot of us. Cold air will be getting locked in and will give opportunity for snows.

• jaster220 likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

BTW: Next week looks wintry for a lot of us. Cold air will be getting locked in and will give opportunity for snows.

Stop discriminating against Nebraskans. Where's my safe space?

• jaster220 and OKwx2k4 like this

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2017-2018: 

Total Snowfall for 2017-2018: Tr.

Niko

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3137 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Stop discriminating against Nebraskans. Where's my safe space?

Further east! :D

• jaster220 and St Paul Storm like this

LNK_Weather

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Further east! :D

Oh you son of a... :rolleyes:

NEJeremy

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1407 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE
I’ve been on this forum for probably 5 winters and each fall has begun the same I’d say. It seems like every year the initial long term models or forecasts by other members here have either looked good for Nebraska or at least not horrible. Everyone gets excited with optimism. Then the models/forecasts realize where we’re talking about and ultimately another winter ends up being a big crap fest. Obviously when you only have 7” of snow in a winter, that sucks no matter how you look at it, but what I think makes it seem that much worse around here is we’re also having to “compete” with other members on this forum that are from a part of the country that should always get way more snow than us climatologically anyway. Omaha’s average is basically 2’ total each year.
  • jaster220 likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:37 PM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

I’ve been on this forum for probably 5 winters and each fall has begun the same I’d say. It seems like every year the initial long term models or forecasts by other members here have either looked good for Nebraska or at least not horrible. Everyone gets excited with optimism. Then the models/forecasts realize where we’re talking about and ultimately another winter ends up being a big crap fest. Obviously when you only have 7” of snow in a winter, that sucks no matter how you look at it, but what I think makes it seem that much worse around here is we’re also having to “compete” with other members on this forum that are from a part of the country that should always get way more snow than us climatologically anyway. Omaha’s average is basically 2’ total each year.

*GLs posters posting from their igloos surrounded by 20" of snow while Omaha and Lincoln are fixing to have their first snowless winter on record* Your storm is coming Nebraska! It's February. Still a ton of Winter left!

james1976

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

james1976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3359 posts
  • LocationAplington, IA

LNK_Weather should be a stand up comedian. Seriously love your posts!!!
​It does suck for Nebraska winter enthusiasts though. It's hard for your region to get a clipper or a cutter. Heck, even in Iowa we have to get pretty lucky to cash in on a lot of those.
That being said......it's only mid-November and most of the action has been up north so far. As winter settles in everything should come south with future cycles. So lets be patient. I know it's hard to do!

• jaster220 and LNK_Weather like this

LNK_Weather

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:10 AM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE
Nebraska people. Stay away from the models this morning. Just do it if you want to maintain your sanity.

They show the cold air at Thanksgiving again though.

Tom

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 14020 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

Both GEFS/EPS are starting to show more wintry ensemble members for the Upper MW/GL's/Midwest region right around Thanksgiving and the following weekend.  Keeping an eye on an interesting clipper-type system rounding the base of the developing eastern CONUS trough next Wed/Thu period.  These are always interesting systems as they can be slow movers and buckle into a larger potential storm instead of zipping on by.

• jaster220 likes this

Tom

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 14020 posts

The freezing fog this morning is a cool sight to see.  Looks like the main focus of the fog across our subforum is along I-80...how does that folklore go again???  6 weeks later we can expect a I-80 special??

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   51.18KB   0 downloads

• jaster220 likes this

Niko

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:02 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3137 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Currently 37F and cloudy w a few flurries flying around. WCF in the upper 20s.

Niko

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:04 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3137 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Both GEFS/EPS are starting to show more wintry ensemble members for the Upper MW/GL's/Midwest region right around Thanksgiving and the following weekend.  Keeping an eye on an interesting clipper-type system rounding the base of the developing eastern CONUS trough next Wed/Thu period.  These are always interesting systems as they can be slow movers and buckle into a larger potential storm instead of zipping on by.

My forecast at that timeframe looks wintry.

GDR

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:09 AM

GDR

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1009 posts
Interesting clipper around Thanksgiving to say the least. Worth watching closely!
  • Niko likes this

Niko

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:12 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3137 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Oh you son of a... :rolleyes:

:lol:

• jaster220 likes this

bud2380

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:31 AM

bud2380

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, IA

Just waiting for something...anything to show up in the long term on the models.    

ecmwf_acc_snow_conus_240.png

Thunder98

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

Thunder98

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOrcutt, California

*GLs posters posting from their igloos surrounded by 20" of snow while Omaha and Lincoln are fixing to have their first snowless winter on record* Your storm is coming Nebraska! It's February. Still a ton of Winter left!

Omaha saw 24.7" of snow in the 2015-2016 season while Sioux Falls received 68.5" of snow in the 2015-2016 season. That is a massive difference!

62v0KCW.png

wucjO8E.png

• jaster220 likes this

jaster220

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:17 AM

jaster220

SWMI and Chicago outline Lk Mich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3170 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KBEH (work)

LNK_Weather should be a stand up comedian. Seriously love your posts!!!
​It does suck for Nebraska winter enthusiasts though. It's hard for your region to get a clipper or a cutter. Heck, even in Iowa we have to get pretty lucky to cash in on a lot of those.
That being said......it's only mid-November and most of the action has been up north so far. As winter settles in everything should come south with future cycles. So lets be patient. I know it's hard to do!

To the underlined - totally agree with that! He brings the best wx comedy of any poster I've seen anywhere. Hilarious stuff!

To the bolded. Great reminder words. It's not like us SMI peeps have 2 foot OTG or something? I'm still looking for my 1st legit flakes after all. Then there's the whole climo deal where my avg is double SENE just on moisture patterns alone. There's a reason forest is the natural foliage here, and grasslands out there. Forest needs a certain amt of moisture, or it just can't thrive. As for frustrating seasons, we get 'em too. They're the ones when the pattern has every SLP get really amped right off the Rockies, then die as soon as it crosses the Mississippi river. Those are painful seasons. You see this awesome bliz raging out in the Plains, and it's heading right in your direction and all looks perfect..then it just turns into a weak turd, a dusting by the time it gets here, and you're like "omg, what did I just witness here"??   :wacko:

Tom

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:17 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 14020 posts

The stratospheric Polar Vortex is rapidly intensifying  of late and is forecast to position itself in a fashion to funnel the coldest air into N.A. over the next 2 weeks.  See below the strengthening...

pole10_nh.gif4

By Day 5, the cross polar flow being depicted per the map below show the vectors aiming into N.A....

ecmwf10f120.gif

This looks to continue into Day 10 and likely beyond this time frame...

ecmwf10f240.gif

00z GEFS 10mb mean temps continue to indicate the Siberian Express will begin to take shape later this month as we get closer to met Winter.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   260.31KB   0 downloads

• Thunder98 likes this

NEJeremy

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1407 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Omaha saw 24.7" of snow in the 2015-2016 season while Sioux Falls received 68.5" of snow in the 2015-2016 season. That is a massive difference!

62v0KCW.png

wucjO8E.png

Yeah SF is basically 160 miles north of Omaha, so pretty big difference for sure. Last year, when we had our 11", I believe there was a town called Little Sioux, IA which is about 40 miles north of here that had between 35-40" of snow, so 3x the amount of snow in only 40 miles difference. Even my parents in Yankton, SD had almost 50" last year and they're about 100 miles north of here.

• Thunder98 likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

62v0KCW.png

wucjO8E.png

Wow, I didn't know Omaha got screwed over more than Lincoln, besides last winter. At least in 2014-15 we had 10" OTG at one point in February here.

Niko

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3137 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

The stratospheric Polar Vortex is rapidly intensifying  of late and is forecast to position itself in a fashion to funnel the coldest air into N.A. over the next 2 weeks.  See below the strengthening...

pole10_nh.gif4

By Day 5, the cross polar flow being depicted per the map below show the vectors aiming into N.A....

ecmwf10f120.gif

ecmwf10f240.gif

00z GEFS 10mb mean temps continue to indicate the Siberian Express will begin to take shape later this month as we get closer to met Winter.

Man, look at that dome of frigid air just waiting to pour down on us.

Thunder98

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

Thunder98

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOrcutt, California

pole10_nh.gif4

ecmwf10f120.gif

ecmwf10f240.gif

The Beast is about to be awaken.

• Tom likes this

NEJeremy

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:59 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1407 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Wow, I didn't know Omaha got screwed over more than Lincoln, besides last winter. At least in 2014-15 we had 10" OTG at one point in February here.

It's funny, I knew of course it's been bad for the last several years, but I had already forgotten just how bad the numbers from 2013-2015 were. Dear God, those are horrible!

Niko

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3137 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Few flurries still flying around, but about to end. Temps max should reach low to mid 40s later on. Still BA. My normal H/L for this time of the year is at 48/35.

NebraskaWX

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

NebraskaWX

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

It's funny, I knew of course it's been bad for the last several years, but I had already forgotten just how bad the numbers from 2013-2015 were. Dear God, those are horrible!

Right? Shyttier than a port-a-potty after a 3 day music festival. I'll just be happy if we get one monstrous storm that drops 12". I miss those so much :(

• Niko, Tom, jaster220 and 1 other like this

LINCOLN NEBRASKA SNOW TOTALS:

13-14 : 0"

14-15: 0"

15-16" : 0"

16-17 : 0"

17-18 : Probably 10", so in other words, 0"

# of times it was too warm and ended up being 33 and rain during these years : 20

# of times the storm essentially turned into dust: 25

# of times the storm looked at Nebraska and was like "yeah, good joke" , then ran to Chicago: 50

Tom

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 14020 posts

I'm liking the looks of the pattern heading towards Blackout Wednesday (typically known as one of the annual biggest club nights of the year).  That clipper is looking more intriguing for those Midwesterners and Lower Lakes posters.

gfs_asnow_ncus_41.png

• Niko likes this

Niko

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3137 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

I'm liking the looks of the pattern heading towards Blackout Wednesday (typically known as one of the annual biggest club nights of the year).  That clipper is looking more intriguing for those Midwesterners and Lower Lakes posters.

gfs_asnow_ncus_41.png

Indeed, my forecast next week looks snowy. This clipper type system has potential for some disruption.

LNK_Weather

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:27 AM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Right? Shyttier than a port-a-potty after a 3 day music festival. I'll just be happy if we get one monstrous storm that drops 12". I miss those so much :(

STOP COMPLAINING YOU SPOILED BRAT!!!!1!1

NebraskaWX

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

NebraskaWX

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Meanwhile you hear their complaints like: "I don't know if I can handle any more snow, my back hurts from shoveling so much lulz"

heh_robin_hood_men_in_tights.gif

• Money likes this

LINCOLN NEBRASKA SNOW TOTALS:

13-14 : 0"

14-15: 0"

15-16" : 0"

16-17 : 0"

17-18 : Probably 10", so in other words, 0"

# of times it was too warm and ended up being 33 and rain during these years : 20

# of times the storm essentially turned into dust: 25

# of times the storm looked at Nebraska and was like "yeah, good joke" , then ran to Chicago: 50

Tom

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 14020 posts

There's that SLP slot position per 12z GEFS which is "fitting" this year's LRC.  How will this evolve for the Thanksgiving travel week???  That's a strong looking Dakota's block right there.

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_34.png

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_37.png

LNK_Weather

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Meanwhile you hear their complaints like: "I don't know if I can handle any more snow, my back hurts from shoveling so much lulz"

Oh no, my igloo is surrounded by another 5' of snow. Oh no, Nebraskans are complaining about lack of snow again.

jaster220

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3170 posts

We just ALL need to move up THERE!!  I swear, every winter that area is buried!  :o

Attached File  20171113 Canada snow for all!.JPG   44.31KB   0 downloads

• Niko likes this

Niko

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3137 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

We just ALL need to move up THERE!!  I swear, every winter that area is buried!  :o

attachicon.gif20171113 Canada snow for all!.JPG

Eventually, that color will be ova SEMI. Just give it some time.  ;)

jaster220

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3170 posts

There's that SLP slot position per 12z GEFS which is "fitting" this year's LRC.  How will this evolve for the Thanksgiving travel week???  That's a strong looking Dakota's block right there.

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_34.png

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_37.png

By those maps, it just gets squished to nothing by that monstrous bully HP, which is the extreme neg AO at work?

jaster220

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3170 posts

LOL, that was my mantra the past two seasons..and, we know how well that worked out  :rolleyes:

Money

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

Money

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6803 posts

NebraskaWX is an interesting name considering according to you guys you don’t see any
  • NebraskaWX likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

We just ALL need to move up THERE!! I swear, every winter that area is buried! :o

20171113 Canada snow for all!.JPG

My dad used to work in Quebec City. He's worked in many different cities across the US and Canada. He said Quebec City Winters we're the most brutal.
  • jaster220 likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

NebraskaWX is an interesting name considering according to you guys you don’t see any

I bet you're fun at a party.

jaster220

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3170 posts

LOL, that was my mantra the past two seasons..and, we know how well that worked out  :rolleyes:

Tom

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 14020 posts

By those maps, it just gets squished to nothing by that monstrous bully HP, which is the extreme neg AO at work?

At this juncture, you won't get any definitive clarity this far out.  This system has a lot that can go for it, and a lot that can squash it just like you mentioned.  Although, you can argue that systems have had a better chance this season to develop.  Personally, this storm has a good chance if it can develop near the Rockies.

• jaster220 likes this

Money

Money

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6803 posts

I bet you're fun at a party.

Ha coming from a guy who gets mad that a computer model 200+ hours out isn’t showing snow for you

LNK_Weather

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Most trees here have gone completely bare. The few outside my window, however, have the leaves at an ugly grayish shade now. I want them gone. They're unpleasant to look at.

LNK_Weather

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Ha coming from a guy who gets mad that a computer model 200+ hours out isn’t showing snow for you

Considering for here they verify 99% of the time I don't find that to be unreasonable. Says the one that has likely never lived here or anywhere close to here, especially in the past few years.

Money

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

Money

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6803 posts

Considering for here they verify 99% of the time I don't find that to be unreasonable. Says the one that has likely never lived here or anywhere close to here, especially in the past few years.

You can’t control weather and whatever happens is going to happen regardless. Complaining about it does nothing

LNK_Weather

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Attached File  GFSCGP_prec_precacc_207.png   79.26KB   0 downloads

This reminds me of when I was in high school band and we would be SURROUNDED by rain but not have a single drop hit us so practice kept on going.

No, seriously. One time we were surrounded.

I'm wondering if our bad luck last Winter was my fault for being here.  :(

LNK_Weather

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:08 AM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

You can’t control weather and whatever happens is going to happen regardless. Complaining about it does nothing

And what does complaining about us do? Turns this thread irrelevant. Even with our (rightful) complaining we're still talking about weather, now aren't we?

Tom

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 14020 posts

Trends from the 12z GEFS are a bit more snowier across the Plains/Midwest/GL's.  Things are looking up, not down, so we all just need to chillzzzzzzzzz....Happy Monday!

snod.conus.png

Money

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Money

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6803 posts

And what does complaining about us do? Turns this thread irrelevant. Even with our (rightful) complaining we're still talking about weather, now aren't we?

You have a thread to complain in.

Tom

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 14020 posts

Allow the pattern to evolve, once we get into the part of this year's cycling pattern where the Hudson Bay vortex gets replaced by a ridge (just after the 17th), the jet cuts underneath just like it did in late October  During this period, the pattern will be blocked up, including, but not limited to, the intra-seasonal shifts of the jet, we will probably end up seeing a couple of storms that can "share the wealth".  It's my first stab at what I think will happen once we get into the middle of Thanksgiving week and into that following holiday weekend.  There are 2 systems which I'm looking for, the first, of which, is targeted during the 11/21 - 11/22 period...the second 11/25 - 11/26....patience grasshoppers.