Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

November 2017 Observations and Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Andrew NE

Posted Today, 07:20 AM

Andrew NE

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

It's hard to say right now, but I'm leaning towards a 48-51 day cycle.  I need to see how the pattern evolves right around the 24th/25th and see if it resembles the Oct 6th/7th pattern.

Fair enough, thanks.  This LRC stuff takes a lot of patience. haha. It is so nice once the first cycle is set going forward as you know!

• Tom likes this

Tom

Posted Today, 07:24 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 13984 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

Fair enough, thanks.  This LRC stuff takes a lot of patience. haha. It is so nice once the first cycle is set going forward as you know!

Indeed, but that early December storm really looks very similar to the Oct 9th-11th set up.  FWIW, 00z EPS has some nice wintry hits for the Plains.  You guys are probably sick of hearing it, but we just need patience in this pattern.  I know its been boring out that way but this year's pattern is much much different and holds some very encouraging signs to have CO Low's this season and we are on the verge of seeing that before the end of the month.  I mean, you guys just experienced one yesterday!

NEJeremy

Posted Today, 07:28 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1395 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE
GFS was closer last night with the thermal profiles as it got nowhere near the 32 degrees the NAM was showing. Just had rain here. Haven’t checked my rain gauge yet for total. A cooler windy day today with normal highs and then the next week looks above normal for the most part and dry again. Wonder how much further things will keep getting pushed back before the amazing switch happens that the models keep showing always in week 2 or 3? Short, active 45 day cycle? Pffft, looks to be closer to 60 at this point!

Andrew NE

Posted Today, 07:30 AM

Andrew NE

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Indeed, but that early December storm really looks very similar to the Oct 9th-11th set up.  FWIW, 00z EPS has some nice wintry hits for the Plains.  You guys are probably sick of hearing it, but we just need patience in this pattern.  I know its been boring out that way but this year's pattern is much much different and holds some very encouraging signs to have CO Low's this season and we are on the verge of seeing that before the end of the month.  I mean, you guys just experienced one yesterday!

Yea I have been seeing signs of it, honestly what I have mapped out so far of the LRC we have a chance at 5-6 shots of events per cycle, now obviously they wont all be monsters, but with a potential shorter cycle length they could be more frequent.  

• Tom likes this

Tom

Posted Today, 07:36 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 13984 posts

Yea I have been seeing signs of it, honestly what I have mapped out so far of the LRC we have a chance at 5-6 shots of events per cycle, now obviously they wont all be monsters, but with a potential shorter cycle length they could be more frequent.  

Yup, and the blocking is suggested to be bountiful this season which all the more argues for phased storms as they eject out of the Rockies.  It's been a fun pattern out here all Autumn long and we have been lucky with numerous storms.  Could this be the "share the wealth" year???  Hope so!

St Paul Storm

Posted Today, 08:48 AM

St Paul Storm

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN
Nice day here. Decided to fire up the lawn mover one last time to mulch leaves. Sunny and low 30s today.

Tom

Posted Today, 08:53 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 13984 posts

Nice day here. Decided to fire up the lawn mover one last time to mulch leaves. Sunny and low 30s today.

It’s about as opposite as it can get over here today. Nastiest day of the Autumn I’d say. I’m thinking of doing the same on Sunday. Sunny skies and highs in the mid 30’s. Leaf pick up is on Mon so it makes sense.
  • St Paul Storm likes this

Hawkeye

Posted Today, 09:01 AM

Hawkeye

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, IA

I'll be mowing for the last time either Monday or Friday.  Monday should be in the low to mid 50s, while last night's euro has us reaching 63 on Friday.  I think 53 has been our high this month.

The oak trees around here still don't want to drop their leaves.  I think I'd typically be done filling all the bags I need by now, but this year I haven't even started, yet.  At least it appears I won't have to worry about any snow events ruining my leaf collection/plant-covering through the rest of the month.

season snowfall: 0.0"

'16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Tom

Posted Today, 09:28 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 13984 posts

12z GEFS trending towards a big storm potential to close out the month..."Here...Cutter, Cutter, Cutter"

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_43.png

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_50.png

LNK_Weather

Posted Today, 10:45 AM

LNK_Weather

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

There's one tree just outside my window which is refusing to drop its leaves. They're an ugly orange-brown, as they have been for a month, but it's just being stubborn. Maybe the wind today will help it out a bit. 

47.7* on my balcony and windy right now.

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2017-2018: 

Total Snowfall for 2017-2018: Tr.

Money

Posted Today, 10:58 AM

Money

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6779 posts
Nice cutter developing on the 12z euro at the end of the run

St Paul Storm

Posted Today, 11:05 AM

St Paul Storm

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

12z GEFS trending towards a big storm potential to close out the month..."Here...Cutter, Cutter, Cutter"

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_43.png

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_50.png

Operational run has been showing this as well the last few runs, but timing is a few days later.

OKwx2k4

Posted Today, 01:33 PM

OKwx2k4

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2147 posts
Whenever today's weather cycles back around it will be amazing here. Great 30mph gusting winds blasting drizzle all day and temps are going to crash under a clearing sky here in little awhile. Should make for a memorable January day down the road for sure. :)

Thunder98

Posted Today, 02:58 PM

Thunder98

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationOrcutt, California

It's amazing how much cold and cloudier it is in these Midwest cities compared to 1st half of November 2016.

Sc3inE4.png

95zhfRt.png

D0MO0mm.png

Ak45SXR.png

lB1YIbK.png

p2Q8J8c.png