Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Will A Major El Nino Spell Doom For Next Winter In The NW?

• Please log in to reply

snow_wizard

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Agreed there. I could never live in a big city where people fret over every snowflake. My sister in DC says people there flock to the grocery stores when snow showers are in the forecast..lol..

I read the Wikipedia page on Houghton though..very nice place if you're an icepussy..but otherwise its probably too extreme for me:

"Climate
Houghton has a humid continental climate but the (typically) long and snowy (due to lake-effect snow, with an average of 218 inches (5.54 m))[29] winters make the city feel as though it is in a climate much further north. It is sometimes said that Houghton has “two seasons: winter’s here and winter’s coming.”[30]

While Houghton’s winters may be the subject of humor, residents take the subject of snow and winter very seriously. Houghton is one of the premier “Winter Cities” found anywhere. A “Winter City” is a community that accommodates winter, celebrates it, and whose residents generally enjoy the season by participating in a variety of outdoor activities. Among those activities are cross country skiing, snow-shoeing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, ice skating and outdoor ice hockey, among other activities. Houghton celebrates winter through the “Winter Carnival” organized by Michigan Tech every year in February.[31]

Houghton's summer climate tends to be especially pleasant, as hot temperatures are often moderated by the cool waters of the nearby Lake Superior. Only once, in July 1988, have temperatures hotter than 100 °F (38 °C) been reported. The coldest temperature on record has been −26 °F (−32 °C) on 21 January 1984, which is actually less extreme than many places to the west, and the heaviest monthly snow 119 inches (3.02 m) in December 1972. The highest mean snow cover has been 43 inches (1.09 m) on several occasions, most recently in February 1996."

The -26 extreme low is surprising. Many places in WA east of the Cascades have been colder than that. I'm sure the lake has much to do with that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 12

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

Phil

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24050 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.

The -26 extreme low is surprising. Many places in WA east of the Cascades have been colder than that. I'm sure the lake has much to do with that.

Yeah the lake buffers out the extremes in both seasons. Cooler summers as well.

snow_wizard

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA
The moment of truth is pretty much upon us for seeing how the first attempt for an El Nino to develop is going to play out. The Kelvin wave is in the process of surfacing. The atmosphere is pretty unfavorable for El Nino development at this time so the major Kelvin wave could possibly fail to cause the degree of SST warming that some are expecting. The daily SOI readings have gone to zero in recent days and the MJO is about to enter octant 2 which is pretty bad news for El Ninos that are trying to develop. I still think some kind of a Nino is the most likely but we could easily avoid a major one.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

jaya

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:55 PM

jaya

Forum Member

• Meteorologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationEverett WA

The moment of truth is pretty much upon us for seeing how the first attempt for an El Nino to develop is going to play out. The Kelvin wave is in the process of surfacing. The atmosphere is pretty unfavorable for El Nino development at this time so the major Kelvin wave could possibly fail to cause the degree of SST warming that some are expecting. The daily SOI readings have gone to zero in recent days and the MJO is about to enter octant 2 which is pretty bad news for El Ninos that are trying to develop. I still think some kind of a Nino is the most likely but we could easily avoid a major one.

Looking more and more like moderate El Nino is in store http://www.cpc.ncep....s-fcsts-web.pdf . I think that there are some weak El Ninos that have wimped out quickly due to atmospheric circulation changes (2006-07 comes to mind), but the warm water shifting east will affect the atmospheric circulation as well (chicken and egg type of argument -nonlinear) changing the direction of the flow (sign of the SOI) and its strength.  The daily SOI should become quite negative once the warm water surfaces over the east central Pacific though it may go to zero or slightly positive at times. It may take a bit longer for the convection to shift too far eastward since we are moving into southern hemisphere winter.  Time scales in the ocean are longer than in the atmosphere, and once the convection does shift east - there the atmosphere will likely respond for a few months. 

PRISM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

PRISM

• Meteorologist
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationCheyenne, WY

Seems like the hype is making its rounds:

http://theweathercen...erializing.html

P R I S M

Phil

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts

He says:

Ahead of the Kelvin Wave, we then see downwelling, which lowers sea levels and cools sea surface temperatures,

Since when does downwelling associated with a WWB cool SSTs? :huh:

Seems like a lot of folks forget that the subsurface waters are still generally colder than surface waters, and that a maintained series of WWBs is required to jump start a Niño..

snow_wizard

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

I still say something is fishy about how sudden the warm subsurface waters have emerged.  It looks increasingly possible this Nino will be an early peaker as there is already anomalous cold water spreading in behind the Kelvin wave.  The chances of this playing out like a 1980s or 1990s El Nino event are small IMO.

• iFred likes this

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

snow_wizard

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

I think it's obvious that certain factions want a super Nino to make global temps spike.  The global warming agenda has stagnated due to lack of warming over the past 15 years or so.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

I want to see an El Nino that is strong enough and peaks just at the right time to bring significant drought relief to CA and surrounding states. What I don't want to see is another ENSO neutral year like the last couple that brings a whopping season total of 5" to Los Angeles and paltry Sierra snowfall.

Phil

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts
Big difference over the past winter/spring has been the +PDO/El Niño-esque Hadley Cell regime, which is now being reflected in the SSTs..

We now have a +PDO and El Niño conditions present.

anomnight.4.3.2014.gif

weatherfan2012

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

weatherfan2012

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts
[quote name="WeatherPhil" post="24213" timestamp="1396591467"]Big difference over the past winter/spring has been the +PDO/El Niño-esque Hadley Cell regime, which is now being reflected in the SSTs..
We now have a +PDO and El Niño conditions present.anomnight.4.3.2014.gif[/ quote] it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few seasons. in fact I think the next 5 years is going to get very interesting as we progress out of our current sun max to the bottom.

snow_wizard

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Uh oh...

u.anom.30.5S-5N.png

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

TT-SEA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 41551 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Uh oh...

u.anom.30.5S-5N.png

What does this mean??

• weather girl likes this

Phil

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts
They're windfield anomalies, a derivation of the AAM scale. Blue = -AAM/easterlies. Visa versa to the red.

TT-SEA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 41551 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

They're windfield anomalies, a derivation of the AAM scale. Blue = -AAM/easterlies. Visa versa to the red.

No... what does it MEAN?

Nino getting stronger or failing?

Phil

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts

No... what does it MEAN?

Nino getting stronger or failing?

Neither.

The thermocline is kind of taking a hit in the eastern regions but the typhoon off Australia is semi-coupled with the CCKW (convectively coupled Kelvin wave), which could kick start another WWB in a week, around 180W, as it progresses east.

TT-SEA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 41551 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Neither.

The thermocline is kind of taking a hit in the eastern regions but the typhoon off Australia is semi-coupled with the CCKW (convectively coupled Kelvin wave), which could kick start another WWB in a week, around 180W, as it progresses east.

Jim obviously thought it meant something with his "uh-oh".

Either that was celebratory sarcasm as he has been known to display with anything bad for a Nino... or he thinks its bad news.

Jesse

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 30507 posts
  • LocationEast Vancouver, WA (300')

Either that was celebratory sarcasm as he has been known to display with anything bad for a Nino... or he thinks its bad news.

Surprised no one ever responded to this post. I was curious too.

Phil

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts

Surprised no one ever responded to this post. I was curious too.

I responded to Tim in a previous post. Jim is looking at a temporary resurgence of the easterlies east of Niño 4..the "uh oh" means "bad news for the Niño".

Of course, with the Walker Cell having migrated very far east, the fading of the +QBO-induced thermals at and above the tropical tropopause, plus a chaotic solar flux, the stage is set for a +AAM/El Niño response..however, the idea that we're in for a Super-Niño is irrational based on the specific disequilibrium we have going.

The Niño will be more basin-wide, rather than west based, but that alone can't push it strong. If you believe ENSO derives from an internal feedback loop, you'd be predicting a strong event right now. I expect a weak or moderate event, with two semi-distinct peaks.

snow_wizard

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

I responded to Tim in a previous post. Jim is looking at a temporary resurgence of the easterlies east of Niño 4..the "uh oh" means "bad news for the Niño".

Of course, with the Walker Cell having migrated very far east, the fading of the +QBO-induced thermals at and above the tropical tropopause, plus a chaotic solar flux, the stage is set for a +AAM/El Niño response..however, the idea that we're in for a Super-Niño is irrational based on the specific disequilibrium we have going.

The Niño will be more basin-wide, rather than west based, but that alone can't push it strong. If you believe ENSO derives from an internal feedback loop, you'd be predicting a strong event right now. I expect a weak or moderate event, with two semi-distinct peaks.

No...I was actually commenting on the possible WWB between 180 and 150E.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

Phil

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts

No...I was actually commenting on the possible WWB between 180 and 150E.

Huh? That's west even of Niño 4..and that won't kick start an oceanic KW either..there's already plenty of upwelling occurring in the WPAC attm..

richard mann

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

richard mann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3471 posts
  • LocationParadise, CA

Either that was celebratory sarcasm ... or he thinks it[']s bad news.

.. one from the "Rolodex" Tim. ?  (It's a "good" one, certainly.) 

---twitter_logo-t12.png

richard mann

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

richard mann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3471 posts
  • LocationParadise, CA

-

http://theweatherfor...the-nw/?p=24213

Strange configuration of warmer water in the ENSO region... seems centered unusually far north compared to a typical Nino.
http://www.ospo.noaa...t.4.10.2014.gif

A month previous. http://www.ospo.noaa...t.3.10.2014.gif
And more current. http://www.ospo.noaa...t.4.14.2014.gif

In my view the warming both just north of the equator, both central Pacific and more eastward, along with also otherwise that off Mexico and nearer to Hawaii extending SW (Difficult to know what you've meant with the way you've said what you have here above.) .. are all, in large part, the result of a gradually decreasing level of colder waters generated within the extreme Northern Pacific: -this with considering their greater circulation path from there more eastward, before turning south more to move down along the greater coast and then more westward at lower latitudes. — Much stronger (colder) from earlier last fall and through to about the middle of Feb. this year. And with this, even a more "negatively" registering PDO having been in effect through much of Oct. of 2013. 

http://www.ospo.noaa...t.10.3.2013.gif -...10.17.2013.gif
http://www.ospo.noaa...omaly/2013.html

Check the animation accessible here below to note this general circulation of colder Sea Surface waters, looked at more broadly. 

http://www.ospo.noaa...im_6mfull.html  -(.. takes a few moments to load in.)

In addition to the warming nearer to the equator, more narrow than the main and larger gyre related / connected to this basic circulation of colder water through the Eastern Pacific, this gradual decrease in and of cold entering into this system has also, otherwise apparently, worked to have allowed the relatively more warm watersnot part of this circulationto have both collected more tightly, and drifted more NNE.

Previous discussion, related more generally. http://theweatherfor...he-pnw/?p=24813

---twitter_logo-t12.png

Utrex

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

Utrex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorth California-Sacramento Valley
Today the trades pretty much died. That's good news for California.

snow_wizard

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

There are certainly signs this El Nino is going to be nothing special.  The subsurface profile shows anomalously cold water rapidly spreading eastward behind the subsurface Kelvin wave.  So far the sub surface warmth has done nothing to initiate a Nino thanks to unfavorable atmospheric conditions over the Equatorial Pacific.  Trade wind forecasts suggest any westerly wind anomalies will be west of 150E which is decidedly unfavorable for any El Nino development. 

I think there's a chance there will be no El Nino at all by late summer.  The odds are still against that, but it can't be ruled out.

• Jesse likes this

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Today the trades pretty much died. That's good news for California.

I am really rooting for this El Nino to develop because we cannot afford to have another ENSO neutral or weak ENSO year this winter, or there will be water restrictions like we have never seen before if we have another ultra dry year like the past two.

Phil

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts

There are certainly signs this El Nino is going to be nothing special. The subsurface profile shows anomalously cold water rapidly spreading eastward behind the subsurface Kelvin wave. So far the sub surface warmth has done nothing to initiate a Nino thanks to unfavorable atmospheric conditions over the Equatorial Pacific. Trade wind forecasts suggest any westerly wind anomalies will be west of 150E which is decidedly unfavorable for any El Nino development.

I think there's a chance there will be no El Nino at all by late summer. The odds are still against that, but it can't be ruled out.

The Walker cell has migrated very far east...that coupled with the decaying +QBO windfield should unleash the MJO and force an El Niño. However, the super-niño talk is just catastrophist hype.

Here's what I wrote back in mid February:

We're now entering the crucial window that will determine the momentum of the tropical circulation as we head deeper into 2014.

Right now, a massive kelvin wave (possibly the strongest wave in history) is propagating across the tropical Pacific. This wave similar to the persistent wind forcing/wave event that jump started the 1997-98 super Niño. However, I'm not sold that we're in for a strong Niño at this time.

As I've been saying for a year now, I believe winter 2014-15 will feature a weak to moderate El Niño, probably either peaking early and/or featuring two peaks. I base this prediction on stratospheric, solar, and internal parameters..with the Sun/QBO coupling ultimately determining whether or not the upcoming ENSO warming during March/April/May will sustain or recoil into a chaotic mess.

This should be an interesting evolution, as the global circulatory network is now moving away from the dominating 1998-2012 regime.

richard mann

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

richard mann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3471 posts
  • LocationParadise, CA

...... catastrophist hype.

May I quote you. ?

---twitter_logo-t12.png

Phil

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts

May I quote you. ?

There's a difference between predictions based on evidence and peer reviewed science vs off the cuff super niño predictions.

A typical El Niño event will kill 5000-10,000 people in underdeveloped countries. The 1997-98 event killed over 25,000 people. Yes, El Niños kill people, and are catastrophic.

richard mann

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

richard mann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3471 posts
  • LocationParadise, CA

-

.. Ah, Ha. (!)

(Sarcasm Alert.)

Appreciate your having gone to the trouble to have worked (in this instance. ? Or should I say "incidence". ?) to connect the dots for me here above. (If probably, in my own estimation, more help to you than me.)

And I'll certainly be working to discern better, just when I might be encountering different "catastrophist", even "catastrophists'", "hype".  

And with this, also whatever "off the cuff" characterizations I might find, or suspect to havealong with, to the extent I'm able to, "people" who throw them around.

... So, it's the gravity then (?) that you've presumed, that I've called into question, even neglected, with my request above previously. (?) No "Phil". ... (Rather) The ease, with which "you", negatively characterize, views not your own, and where regarding whatever themes that you've attached yours to.  And (do me a big favor. ?) please, don't [presume to] lecture me regarding the potential, degree of severity where looking at whatever type of either whether weather or climate connected event, potentially "catastrophic", in the future. ... Plainly, where viewed more specifically in line with your efforts since above to explain it, "catastrophic hype", is an exercise in .. "circular" logic.

---twitter_logo-t12.png

Phil

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts
I get that you might think I'm a hypocrite, totally. Not going to lecture you, either.

Just hope you'll keep an open mind, and understand that predicting a major climate shift is not easy and often contradicts what I say about other theories out there, in terms of their level of "hype"..

richard mann

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

richard mann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3471 posts
  • LocationParadise, CA

-

That's quite a bit to "keep in mind", and "understand" .. "Phil".  

So, and if otherwise .. you're asking me to encourage those who would venture, even allow for and not lose sight of the degree of difficulty where considering, the idea of "predicting a major climate shift".

(Another "Sarcasm Alert" here.)

.. I'll make every effort to adjust my thinking where considering my opportunities to do so in the future.

$ .. It's the sweeping generalizations of others' thinking, that you allude to, that I find objectionable "Phil".

To my view, those generalizations, published, constitute a certain type of "hyperbole", in and of their own.

---twitter_logo-t12.png

Phil

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts
Thanks, I understand.

Reading through some of my old posts, I realize that I may have sounded like an arrogant, egotistical "know-it-all", when dismissing ideas that I don't agree with.

I'm trying to fix that, because I'm really not like that in reality. It's been hard for me to adjust my perceptions on "debate" since my retirement. When working, become accustomed to rigorous debate amongst peers, circular reasoning, and attacks from outside agencies. Over time I became a cold, heartless robot, as did most of my colleagues.

It's stressful when you have agencies with agendas outside the US, attacking you and scientific progress, then going to other agencies without classified status, and using them as a mouthpiece to claim you're the one hoarding money and attacking science.

richard mann

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

richard mann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3471 posts
  • LocationParadise, CA

-
O.k. .. I guess that's all appreciable to some degree.

With all of these ideas being the case although, if I were you, or let's just say at least, I would, .. instead of allowing yourself to either whether revisit that past more intense debate type energy, and forum, or either to be concerned with whatever more high-powered argument/s with even more obscured entities, .. work more to deal with, even approach this forum and what you submit to it, in a more academic way; i.e. as if you were speaking to a wider spectrum of people, interested in the weather and climate, a bit more casually leastwise. And with this, then further perhaps, potentially, in whatever theme more specific that you might have in mind to comment with respect to.

Basically, preface, context and substance (still. ?). And with and given these elements covered where considering whatever you have to say or might, more an aim to actually convey something, whatever, to a wider cross-section of people; whom might perhaps benefit more academically, from seeing it posted and reading through it.

More succinctly, I'd say that "foundation", of whatever posted is the most important element where considering a more public forum more scientifically focused. With it provided, anyone commenting in response to whatever, has something [more] solid to work with and from.

More specifically, where looking at whatever "Nino", or "ENSO" related thinking, I'd say that whatever said, certainly needs some amount of preface. Context being somewhat less important, if not considering ideas more obscured potentially. And then again, with substance and foundation to work from being more primary. 

---twitter_logo-t12.png

snow_wizard

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Very interesting...the 30 day SOI is now solidly positive after being below -10 for a time and there are no WWB's anywhere in sight.  The chances of a major Nino are very low now.  Looking at the MJO it has looked more Ninaish the past few weeks and looks poised to take another tour through Nina territory in the coming weeks.  The atmosphere is going to quash a major event once again.

• Jesse likes this

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

Phil

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts
Agreed. As I've said from the beginning, I believe the forcings that govern ENSO suggest a weak or moderate event is the likely outcome. It should also be a basin-wide event, rather than a west-based event, IE: 2009-10.

seattleweatherguy

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

seattleweatherguy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1941 posts
  • LocationBothell

Agreed. As I've said from the beginning, I believe the forcings that govern ENSO suggest a weak or moderate event is the likely outcome. It should also be a basin-wide event, rather than a west-based event, IE: 2009-10.

so u you expect no snow this year? And 80s this week!

snow_wizard

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

so u you expect no snow this year? And 80s this week!

He actually thinks this Nino may be like the 1965-66 and 1968-69 Ninos.  Both of which were good winters here...especially 1968-69.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

Phil

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts
One of my warmist friends is already panicking about the supposed "demise" of El Niño.

While I think El Niño is pretty much a lock for 2014-15, conditions do not appear to be very favorable right now, and could get worse as we head into May.

800.jpg

Chris

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Chris

Community Mod

• Admin
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast Range 1000'

One of my warmist friends is already panicking about the supposed "demise" of El Niño.

While I think El Niño is pretty much a lock for 2014-15, conditions do not appear to be very favorable right now, and could get worse as we head into May.

800.jpg

Yeah.  I already posted this in the main El Nino thread.

Phil

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts

Yeah. I already posted this in the main El Nino thread.

I didn't see that, sorry. The fact that there two threads with ENSO-restated stuff is kinda blah.

If the predicted easterly burst verifies, it may very well amplify the upwelling that is currently occurring between 160-140W..note the 20C isotherm: http://www.cpc.ncep....e/wkxzteq.shtml
  • Chris likes this

snow_wizard

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

800.jpg

There hasn't been an easterly burst like that in the 120 to 150E area for a hell of a long time.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

Jesse

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 30507 posts
  • LocationEast Vancouver, WA (300')

There hasn't been an easterly burst like that in the 120 to 150E area for a hell of a long time.

Is that bad for the Niño?

iFred

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 3228 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

I hope so.

Jim or Phil, can one of you guys give us a laymans view on what the current ENSO state is?

Bham_Guy

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

Bham_Guy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Latest anomaly map:

anomnight.4.28.2014.gif

Phil

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts
There's another KW developing in the WPAC associated with the MJO. Next 10-15 days should see ENSO warming.
  • Dan the Weatherman likes this

snow_wizard

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

I think the Nino could be in serious trouble.  The MJO recently spent a long time in areas more favorable for La Nina before making a quick pass through more traditional Nino regions in a weakened state.  Now the MJO is slated to make another fairly amplified and slow pass through octants 1 through 4 (Nina territory).  The March SOI was -12 and then it shot up to +6 in April.

I still have to say some kind of a Nino is still the most likely this winter, but there is some doubt creeping in.  Almost no way this will be anything close to the super Nino that some have been touting.

• Jesse likes this

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

Phil

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24050 posts
Nice animation of the global subsurface (right). Note the KW in across the equatorial Pacific.

animation-1-sst-v-h300-jan-3-thru-mar-29

snow_wizard

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Nice animation of the global subsurface (left). Note the KW in across the equatorial pacific.

animation-1-sst-v-h300-jan-3-thru-mar-29

Very cool!  It's quite apparent on the subsurface map that all of the excess heat in the Western Pacific has been dissipated now.  We could get this warm ENSO event over with rather quickly.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15

snow_wizard

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 15543 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA
It's quite remarkable how almost everything is turning sour for this potential El Nino event now. The latest OLR anomaly map for 160W to 160E in the equatorial region indicates a positive anomaly (ninaish), the latest MJO forecast indicates the MJO being in octants 1 through 4 (ninaish) for at least the next two weeks, GLAAM forecasts indicate a decent negative AAM episode (ninaish) coming up, the April SOI was solidly positive (unfavorable for Nino), and last but not least the subsurface temperature animation for the equatorial Pacific indicates the subsurface warm pool is rapidly shrinking and becoming less anomalously warm. Perhaps the most important factor of all is there is nothing but cold water right on the heels of the subsurface warm pool.
  • Jesse likes this

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.4"

Total Hail = 0.3"

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 63

Highs 32 or below = 1

Lows 20 or below = 6

Highs 40 or below = 15